2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if NYITCOM- AR offers dedicated board study time?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if NYITCOM- AR offers dedicated board study time?
2nd year ends at the end of April or very beginning of May. Dedicated starts then and lasts technically until rotations start, but the school encourages you to have taken boards by the end of July (if you meet their required benchmarks to be able to sit for them). So yes, there is a couple months of dedicated, but when you take boards is variable.

There’s a whole points system that academic affairs uses based on semester averages and benchmark exams to determine when you’re eligible to sit for boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are there any current students that I can DM? I have some questions and I would appreciate some insight/ advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current students that I can DM? I have some questions and I would appreciate some insight/ advice
You can DM me if you like. I'm not on here much these days, but we had comp week that ended Friday, so I'm taking the weekend off.

Any current students here? What is the living situation like in Long Island? Do some students live in the city? Just trying to get a feel for the area...

Any current students here? What is the living situation like in Long Island? Do some students live in the city? Just trying to get a feel for the area...
Wrong forum. This is for the Jonesboro, AR campus.

Hey y'll, I just received the interview invite from NYITCOM, Jonesboro a couple of days ago. Didn't expect it at all, but I am super stoked about it. I am from Bay Area, but love to try out living in a different state. Any tips for the interview?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'll, I just received the interview invite from NYITCOM, Jonesboro a couple of days ago. Didn't expect it at all, but I am super stoked about it. I am from Bay Area, but love to try out living in a different state. Any tips for the interview?
It's very conversational and relaxed. Just practice typical interview questions and you will be fine. Good Luck!

Does anyone know how late they send II?
Scroll through last year’s forum to get a rough idea. There will be a lot of movement once people start putting deposits down near the deadline.

Does anyone know how late they send II?
When I scheduled, I saw there were openings through 3/03, with many spots left. However, there is a "pre-interview welcome session" toward the end of March, so I assume interviews may be through April like last cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed admission yesterday since I haven't heard back from my interview and its been like almost 4 months. I know its prob a WL/R but they should at least TRY to communicate with applicants

• Care
I emailed admission yesterday since I haven't heard back from my interview and its been like almost 4 months. I know its prob a WL/R but they should at least TRY to communicate with applicants

Wow! How unfair. Not sure why some schools are so inconsiderate. I went through this with another school so I feel your pain.

That’s so weird. I received my decision within a week

Are there in-person lectures for students who like to attend class sometimes, or is everything online and without in-person lectures? I enjoy attending class in-person as I feel it helps me develop a routine and see my friends/classmates.

Hi, does anyone know if the NYITCOM Jonesboro interview is an open or closed file? if it's an open file, how "open" is it? Thanks in advance to anyone who could answer it.

Hi, does anyone know if the NYITCOM Jonesboro interview is an open or closed file? if it's an open file, how "open" is it? Thanks in advance to anyone who could answer it.

It’s closed file. Very conservational and relaxed - just the basic questions

Are there in-person lectures for students who like to attend class sometimes, or is everything online and without in-person lectures? I enjoy attending class in-person as I feel it helps me develop a routine and see my friends/classmates.
During my tour, a student ambassador informed me that all lectures are online, but you can schedule Zoom sessions with instructors to ask questions. She said that they are very supportive and responsive. You have opportunities to connect with peers and instructors during OMM, anatomy lab, skills lab, and standardized patient encounters

Oh, nice! Also, do you know if anyone gets to know what faculty member they will have an interview with before the interview?

During my tour, a student ambassador informed me that all lectures are online, but you can schedule Zoom sessions with instructors to ask questions. She said that they are very supportive and responsive. You have opportunities to connect with peers and instructors during OMM, anatomy lab, skills lab, and standardized patient encounters
I am like totally cool with online lectures, as long as they are synchronous and I can ask questions on spot. Recorded lectures are a big no-no. what chu guys think?

I am like totally cool with online lectures, as long as they are synchronous and I can ask questions on spot. Recorded lectures are a big no-no. what chu guys think?
I’m under the impression they are recorded. I’m not sure how I feel about this.

Oh, nice! Also, do you know if anyone gets to know what faculty member they will have an interview with before the interview?

I believe there’s only 1 guy that does the interviews lol

I believe there’s only 1 guy that does the interviews lol
oh, rip haha! well, I guess it avoids different interviewer biases. Idk to what extent it's good to look up the interviewer ahead. So I was wondering if the interviewer sends an email to students before the interview or sth.

oh, rip haha! well, I guess it avoids different interviewer biases. Idk to what extent it's good to look up the interviewer ahead. So I was wondering if the interviewer sends an email to students before the interview or sth.

His name is Stephen Dougherty if you wanna look him up!

Could a current student comment on what their average day looks like as an M1? What time do you usually wake up? When do you watch/ attend lectures/labs? etc.

Oh, do you also happen to know how "closed" it is? Sometimes, it can be semi-closed where the interviewer has the essays but not the stats.

after 5 months of being ghosted from my interview I have been WL lol. How does the waitlist work/ what is the movement like? trying to see if i need to study for the mcat again lol

after 5 months of being ghosted from my interview I have been WL lol. How does the waitlist work/ what is the movement like? trying to see if i need to study for the mcat again lol
Not sure, but I hope you get admitted somewhere else that shows you more courtesy than this school.

Not sure, but I hope you get admitted somewhere else that shows you more courtesy than this school.
I applied to 44 schools.
3 never said anything after receiving my primary,
2 I withdrew my application from,
1 placed me on hold almost immediately,
12 rejected within 3 months of primary or secondary,
3 more rejections by December (all had requested secondaries),
2 rejections in January (also had requested secondaries),
7 rejections in February (2 had requested secondaries, 5 did not and had been silent since my initial app),
10 have said nothing since receiving my secondary,
2 schools have provided quarterly updates since receiving my secondary.
2 invited me to interview, and of those 2, 1 Waitlisted me, and the other 1 ACCEPTED me.

It stinks that they interviewed and then went silent, but I don't think it's a sign the school is discourteous or doesn't care. Iliterallyhateithere was still probably being considered. If they ignored a follow up email asking for a status update, that'd be a different thing, but this is the process of applying to med school. It's a sucky journey, but SDN helps remind us we're not alone, and hopefully they're HIGH (that's the correct direction for that, right?) on that WL.

@iliterallyhateithere, I hope you make it in SOMEWHERE. The application process sucks, but it literally only takes ONE school to say yes. I truly hope you get that this cycle, but if not, I'll still be hoping for you next cycle. 👍

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I applied to 44 schools.
7 rejections in February (2 had requested secondaries, 5 did not and had been silent since my initial app),
2 invited me to interview, and of those 2, 1 Waitlisted me, and the other 1 ACCEPTED me.

It stinks that they interviewed and then went silent, but I don't think it's a sign the school is discourteous or doesn't care. Iliterallyhateithere was still probably being considered. If they ignored a follow up email asking for a status update, that'd be a different thing, but this is the process of applying to med school. It's a sucky journey, but SDN helps remind us we're not alone, and hopefully they're HIGH (that's the correct direction for that, right?) on that WL.

@iliterallyhateithere, I hope you make it in SOMEWHERE. The application process sucks, but it literally only takes ONE school to say yes. I truly hope you get that this cycle, but if not, I'll still be hoping for you next cycle. 👍
I respectfully disagree.

Is there an accepted GroupMe link floating around here somewhere?

I applied to 44 schools.

I just wanted to remind everyone I interviewed in November, was waitlisted in January, and got off the waitlist around march/april. The waitlist movement at all schools is massive when deposit deadlines approach. We have plenty of students who move off the waitlist up until the 1st week of classes. No news is better than a rejection. A WL is better than a rejection. Yes, it would be nice to have more information on this process and I get everyone's frustrations, especially when the stakes are high. I would suggest to anyone on the WL or hearing silence to contact the school when you can and hear what they have to say on your application.

You all got it; I got waitlisted at 2 out of the 3 interviews and got accepted to all 3 in the end. Now in 2 weeks ill be matching into residency. you all will be in my seat soon enough! Be kind to yourselves!

and if I am thinking correctly, the same faculty involved in admissions is also involved in the match process for us. So the school might be hectic over the next 2-3 weeks. In addition to that, we have gotten new faculty that are a part of these processes, so there will be a transitionary period.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To those of you who interviewed, how long did your interview last? wanted to see the range even though it says 20- 30 mins

To those of you who interviewed, how long did your interview last? wanted to see the range even though it says 20- 30 mins
Mine lasted 30 minutes total. I really enjoyed the interview, which had a lot to do with who interviewed me. Felt very relaxed compared to some others.

I interviewed and really enjoyed it! lasted like 50 mins or so. I couldn't even get his name and email; he went straight to the conversation. Does anyone know his email address or something? Hopefully, it's the same guy we are talking about. the one with the beard?

I interviewed and really enjoyed it! lasted like 50 mins or so. I couldn't even get his name and email; he went straight to the conversation. Does anyone know his email address or something? Hopefully, it's the same guy we are talking about. the one with the beard?
I think we all must get different interviewers because I didn't have your guy.

I see their class size is smaller for the Arkansas campus. I imagine that makes it more competitive to get accepted.
I think the class size is small because it's a branch campus and relatively new compared to the long island campus. The campus itself is partnered with Arkansas state Uni, maybe it's one more reason why

Got the in person tour email and I swear I almost fainted thinking it was a decision
Just experienced the same feelings haha. If you, or anyone else, went to sign up, did you only have Fall 2022 tour dates? I didn’t have any option in 2023. I sent them an email about it