2022-2023 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True. I mean I could see myself maybe practicing there as if I do community outreach and get to know the area and its health disparities I might have a better understanding of the area and how best to work with people from there. But I also want to go where the need is and some states are worse off. I might go with something like that.
Of course - if your interest is genuine and backed up with good reasoning. But I would not consider putting no as a 'big red flag', especially if you are someone with no connections to Indiana.

Edit: I think there is a difference between saying "absolutely not" and "I would not be against it, but see myself practicing in my x region because of x" or something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea to mention that the error page could still mean it was submitted because I got the confirmation email 10ish minutes after getting the error page!!

Question to the group, do we need to do anything regarding the document upload? Is there anything here that we should upload?

Also by "Letter of References" do they mean Letters of Recommendations? I already submitted my letters of rec thru AACOMAS in May. What should I do to get that X fixed to a checkmark??

Great idea to mention that the error page could still mean it was submitted because I got the confirmation email 10ish minutes after getting the error page!!

Question to the group, do we need to do anything regarding the document upload? Is there anything here that we should upload?

Also by "Letter of References" do they mean Letters of Recommendations? I already submitted my letters of rec thru AACOMAS in May. What should I do to get that X fixed to a checkmark??
I think we just have to wait

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not.
I feel like saying no is a death sentence. However, for yes, this feels like something I would have to really bluff - it wouldn't feel authentic b/c idk if I would like Indiana. However, I really do enjoy Indianapolis. But, for fear of coming off as disingenuous, should I just saying idk, but I'm open to x,y,z and like x,y,z about this place? For example, I'm not sure if I would like rural medicine, but I'm open to learn more about it. Or I'm not sure if I want to practice in Indiana, but I'm into psychiatry and mental illness doesn't have a zip code. . . so why not?

Any advice is useful especially if there are any currents students that can advise!

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like saying no is a death sentence. However, for yes, this feels like something I would have to really bluff - it wouldn't feel authentic b/c idk if I would like Indiana. However, I really do enjoy Indianapolis. But, for fear of coming off as disingenuous, should I just saying idk, but I'm open to x,y,z and like x,y,z about this place? For example, I'm not sure if I would like rural medicine, but I'm open to learn more about it. Or I'm not sure if I want to practice in Indiana, but I'm into psychiatry and mental illness doesn't have a zip code. . . so why not?

Any advice is useful especially if there are any currents students that can advise!
Just be honest. Saying no isn't a death sentence. It doesn't carry as much weight as some people make it seem. Same goes for being an OOS applicant or when asked if you want to do primary care. Saying you have some initial interest in psychiatry and your ultimate goal is to pursue the best opportunities, whether in Indiana or out of state, is a lot more meaningful than the generic stuff people give when bluffing.

13. Please describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively)

What's the consensus on the COVID-19 Essay? Rewrite primary application essay or copy and paste primary essay?

Has anyone been marked complete?
No, my portal says the only thing left for them to mark complete is my LOR. They said it would take 4-5 weeks for them to be verified.

It took me SO LONG to write that secondary. o_O UGH. Received 6/20 and submitted 7/6. MU-COM and ATSU-SOMA have been the toughest ones to get through so far for me. But really hoping I get an II here, it's one of my top choices. Fingers crossed.

How do I answer the gap question? I am a rising senior applying and I have 2 Cs but I dont think I have any gaps? I have also always had a job so I dont seem to have any employment gaps besides COVID. I am pre-writing it so Idk if I will have the option to skip that question?

How do I answer the gap question? I am a rising senior applying and I have 2 Cs but I dont think I have any gaps? I have also always had a job so I dont seem to have any employment gaps besides COVID. I am pre-writing it so Idk if I will have the option to skip that question?
I just typed "N/A"

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys answering the questions about what we want them to know about us? I don't want to reiterate my experiences here so should I make it fun and talk about my background, skills and hobbies and why I think I would be a good fit for their school?

How are you guys answering the questions about what we want them to know about us? I don't want to reiterate my experiences here so should I make it fun and talk about my background, skills and hobbies and why I think I would be a good fit for their school?
It's a free space to hype yourself up!
I talked about three of my best qualities and then tied them into medicine!

I marked it as N/A. It’s just asking if there is any other relevant info that you want them to know about you (that isn’t in your primary or secondary). I don’t think it’s an actual question on “tell us more about yourself”.

Last edited:
Added this school to primary on 07/10. Received the secondary today. Pretty quick turnaround time

I have been marked complete on the portal but never received an email.
How long did it take for them to mark your letters as received? I submitted about two weeks ago and still waiting.

How long did it take for them to mark your letters as received? I submitted about two weeks ago and still waiting.
I'm in the same boat, my letters still haven't been marked received.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted 6/21 and I’m assuming I got marked complete earlier this week. So about 3 weeks

Reactions: 1 users
7. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks:

So uhhhhh, I graduated college last year, do I just say I graduated lmao

7. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks:

So uhhhhh, I graduated college last year, do I just say I graduated lmao
I graduated last year and didn't put anything. I'm pretty sure that means if you went to college for 2 years, dropped out/paused, and came back. And them employment would be if you graduated but had no listed activities for what you were doing.

I graduated last year and didn't put anything. I'm pretty sure that means if you went to college for 2 years, dropped out/paused, and came back. And them employment would be if you graduated but had no listed activities for what you were doing.
got ya, will just put N/A, ty!

How long are your responses for the question on the top 3 specialties (no word limit)? Mine are like 200 each
Can you please give the character counts for all the questions? I cannot find anywhere. Thank you!

after over a month of waiting for the completion on the secondary portal, I called them, and they marked off my application while on the phone, and it is ready for submission. Wanted to let others know if they are still marked incomplete. Check your portals!

after over a month of waiting for the completion on the secondary portal, I called them, and they marked off my application while on the phone, and it is ready for submission. Wanted to let others know if they are still marked incomplete. Check your portals!
Thanks! I just checked and was already marked complete, but never received any communication about it.

same. i called them this morning and they manually marked me off.

I submitted July 12th and my LORs are still marked incomplete even tho they were sent through aacomas. Did it take time for the LORs to show up as complete for you as well?
+1

I submitted on 7/1 and the letters still say they aren't there...? I sent them in with the rest of my AACOMAS app through Interfolio

I submitted July 12th and my LORs are still marked incomplete even tho they were sent through aacomas. Did it take time for the LORs to show up as complete for you as well?
you need to call them

Don't they say wait 4-5 weeks to call them? Do you think that calling them early can be a bad idea because it isn't following their directions? (Not trying to be annoying but I am fr curious)

Don't they say wait 4-5 weeks to call them? Do you think that calling them early can be a bad idea because it isn't following their directions? (Not trying to be annoying but I am fr curious)
i submitted on 7/11 and they were very friendly to help me out today

That's awesome, okay I will def consider calling them! I was anxious incase they would respond negatively!

how long did it take for letters to be marked off? mine are still incomplete, submitted like a week and a half ago