2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to run a quick question by you all. The e-mail provided us with more information on our potential GS scale. The PHAP website says that we will all be hired as a as GS-5, Step 1, entry-level, term-limited CDC employees.

But did anyone else also get a different GS number position?

Thanks!
Mine said gs-6!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, 2020 PHAP here. If you’re transferring from one federal agency to CDC as a PHAP and are at a higher GS level than PHAP, then you’ll start in the same GS level but a higher step, so they’ll match your pay. Everyone else starts at the entry level GS5 level 1 and the pay depends on location regardless of your degree, eg for those who have a MPH already or will be receiving it prior to starting PHAP.
Hello,

Oh, wow! Thank you for sharing this information!

Reactions: 1 user
I think everyone starts at g5, regardless of the academic preparation. I did think the application on USAJOBS said permanent.... What are the chances of staying permanent?
Yes everyone starts at Gs-5 regardless of the degree they hold. Your first year you are gs-5.. the second year (pending on evaluations) you get promoted to gs-7. At the end of the two years you get to go through a noncompetitive (positions that aren’t available to the public) conversion process.. and if selected to convert you are placed at a gs-9. The 2018 cohort roughly had 40ish (give or take) people convert over to permanent positions at the CDC. Their cohort was roughly 100-110 people.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, everyone. I also applied to the PHAP program this year. My application still says Referred. I was wondering if anyone else that's in the same situation has received any type of email or call since?

Hey, everyone. I also applied to the PHAP program this year. My application still says Referred. I was wondering if anyone else that's in the same situation has received any type of email or call since?
Hi! Are you talking about the application from USAJobs or are you talking about or the eFMS Candidate Portal?
The first round with the resume and everything was the USAJobs one and the second round was on the Candidate Portal.

Hi! Are you talking about the application from USAJobs or are you talking about or the eFMS Candidate Portal?
The first round with the resume and everything was the USAJobs one and the second round was on the Candidate Portal.
Where can I find the candidate portal?

Where can I find the candidate portal?
So the candidate portal is only available if you made it to the second round- unfortunately, I believe that the applications are closed now. The email had been from "CDC'S Public Health Association Program" and would have been titled "ACTION REQUIRED BY 3/29/21: Invitation for Personal Statement & Assignment Preferences for CDC's Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)". In the email was a link to the application.
It had been sent on the 19th I believe and closed on the 29th of March.

So the candidate portal is only available if you made it to the second round- unfortunately, I believe that the applications are closed now. The email had been from "CDC'S Public Health Association Program" and would have been titled "ACTION REQUIRED BY 3/29/21: Invitation for Personal Statement & Assignment Preferences for CDC's Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)". In the email was a link to the application.
Thank you for letting me know this information

How much will we have to wait for an actual interview?

How much will we have to wait for an actual interview?
The email said "In late April, selected candidates will receive an email to select an interview time with CDC staff. Interviews will be held virtually using Zoom in May. "

Hi, first time poster and long time lurker in this forum.
I was wondering how many people included a reference document for the personal statement round? I did not include that because most other positions I have been applying for would request references as needed. But, I briefly saw someone mention it during the application open period. Now it has been in the back of my mind. I am really hoping this doesn't hurt my chances for an interview.
I was just curious how many people opted to include it versus did not include the references in the second round for apps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how many people included a reference document for the personal statement round? I did not include that because most other positions I have been applying for would request references as needed. But, I briefly saw someone mention it during the application open period. Now it has been in the back of my mind. I am really hoping this doesn't hurt my chances for an interview.
I was just curious how many people opted to include it versus did not include the references in the second round for apps. Thanks!
Truthfully I did not. What I’m learning is that if it’s meant to be you’ll get it, if its not don’t stress it, other opportunities will open.

I don't even think they asked for a reference document from me during the personal statement round. I feel that if I'm told references are optional, then I won't give them references unless they specifically want them. So I don't think it will hurt your chances if you did not provide any! I would think the most important aspect they are looking at is your responses to the personal statement questions. But you're not alone in not including reference so I wouldn't stress too much about it :)

I’m considering starting a new job because I don’t love what I’m doing right now. I think I would like this other job a lot better, but I feel conflicted about accepting their offer knowing that I could be starting PHAP in six months. I don’t want to put all my eggs in that basket seeing as how there’s still two more rounds of cuts, and I might not accept a PHAP invitation if it was with a placement site I’m totally uninterested in. However, I’m 90 percent sure I would take a PHAP spot if one is offered to me. There’s nothing wrong with my job right now except that I don’t enjoy it. Is anyone in the same boat or just wants to offer their advice?

I’m considering starting a new job because I don’t love what I’m doing right now. I think I would like this other job a lot better, but I feel conflicted about accepting their offer knowing that I could be starting PHAP in six months. I don’t want to put all my eggs in that basket seeing as how there’s still two more rounds of cuts, and I might not accept a PHAP invitation if it was with a placement site I’m totally uninterested in. However, I’m 90 percent sure I would take a PHAP spot if one is offered to me. There’s nothing wrong with my job right now except that I don’t enjoy it. Is anyone in the same boat or just wants to offer their advice?
i actually just accepted a new job offer that I will be starting next month! I just really needed to get out of my current job. I will absolutely take the PHAP offer if i get it. But i totally know what you mean about accepting the new offer just incase we start PHAP. I just had to take the new one for my happiness, and im just trying to live as if PHAP isn’t really happening because i dont want to rely on it. If you do get a new job and work there for just a few months, at least you built new connections! And then lets say we dont get into PHAP, at least we have a new job that we enjoy! I say go for the new job, you never know what it could lead to. Plus i’m sure theyd be excited for you if you got into PHAP. Sorry if this was all over the place but i hope i made some sense haha!!

Reactions: 1 users
I also just left my old, toxic job for a new job (I start May 10th!), but I know that if I make it far enough in PHAP that I'm being offered placement and it works out for my current needs and career, I will take the PHAP offer. In my opinion, I think it's important to remember that PHAP is not guaranteed for any of us and we still have to make it to and past the interview round. You may find a new job that you love and can grow in that is even better than PHAP, or you may find a new job that you recognize is good for now but you will need something better. At the same time, you have to do what is best for you and your career, and if that means taking a new job until you're 100% apart of PHAP, do it. If I've learned anything from this last year of pandemic life, it's to definitely keep options and expect for the unexpected. Hopefully that helps, sorry it's so long!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! YES I am in the same boat and I am so conflicted!! It feels so hard to commit to something right now, but I think we should have something to fall back on in case we eventually find out we don't get an offer from PHAP. I personally have the option of accepting my current offer as a temp position, so I think I am going to talk to them to see what they think I should do and also to let them know that there's the possibility I will be moving on from them in October. But it's so hard to know if that's the right choice! It's all so exciting but scary!!

Does anyone know when we will hear the interview dates?

Hi! YES I am in the same boat and I am so conflicted!! It feels so hard to commit to something right now, but I think we should have something to fall back on in case we eventually find out we don't get an offer from PHAP. I personally have the option of accepting my current offer as a temp position, so I think I am going to talk to them to see what they think I should do and also to let them know that there's the possibility I will be moving on from them in October. But it's so hard to know if that's the right choice! It's all so exciting but scary!!
Take any job you get! You don't owe your job/employer anything. We are completely replaceable. If you leave your job to take PHAP, they will find someone else. Definitely pursue a job opportunity that is beneficial for you. Worst case you don't get PHAP, well at least you have a back up position. If you get PHAP, you have that few months as another thing to add on your resume as experience. You only owe them a two week notice. You just say sorry I found a unique opportunity that will help me further my public health career. They will get over it. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. And don't be afraid to leave a job if you get a better opportunity!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when we will hear the interview dates?
After submitting the personal statement and additional info, the e-mail stated that we would be notified if we moved on to the next round in late April. It could be sometime this week or next week!

Last edited:
After submitting the personal statement and additional info, the e-mail stated that we would be notified if we moved on to the next round in late April. It could be sometime this week or next week!
Last year they didn’t hear until the last few days of April but we also seem to be ahead of when they sent out personal statement invites last year

Last year they didn’t hear until the last few days of April but we also seem to be ahead of when they sent out personal statement invites last year
So I called today and we just have to be patient lol. The lady on the phone said they are getting ready to get availability dates from interviewers this week. So we probably won’t hear back till either next week.This is so annoying. I wish this process didn’t take like 6+ months... just tell me so I can move on with life and not have this on the back of my mind lollll

Last edited:
So I called today and we just have to be patient lol. The lady on the phone said they are getting ready to get availability dates from interviewers this week. So we probably won’t hear back till either next week.This is so annoying. I wish this process didn’t take like 6+ months... just tell me so I can move on with life and not have this on the back of my mind lollll
The process can definitely be a bit lengthy I think it's just because they have a tonnnnnn of people that apply every year and with there being multiple personal statement prompts, those definitely take tons of time to review. But patience is key and we will hear something very soon!

Hi everyone, 2020 PHAPer here! I know many of you are anxious right now awaiting updates so I just wanted to provide you all with a timeline of my experience last year (it may vary this year). May 5th I received my invitation for an interview (zoom). Interviews were held May 7th-May 17th and you had the freedom to choose whichever day /time you preferred within that window (based on availability). After my interview, I was notified that I had been selected for the program/ matched (city and state) on June 30th. Acceptances were sent out in waves, the first set of people were notified beginning of June, next wave end of June so forth and so on until late August early September I believe, our start date was October 13th. August 12th we received an email with our host site information- supervisors, address, email, numbers etc. and we received orientation information from then on. Hope this helps some of you, and good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
So basicall 6 months from now. We have to find some peace and relax because this looks like it is going to take a long time.

Hi everyone, 2020 PHAPer here! I know many of you are anxious right now awaiting updates so I just wanted to provide you all with a timeline of my experience last year (it may vary this year). May 5th I received my invitation for an interview (zoom). Interviews were held May 7th-May 17th and you had the freedom to choose whichever day /time you preferred within that window (based on availability). After my interview, I was notified that I had been selected for the program/ matched on June 30th. Acceptances were sent out in waves, the first set of people were notified beginning of June, next wave end of June so forth and so on until late August early September I believe, our start date was October 13th. August 12th we received an email with our host site information- location, supervisors, address, numbers etc. and we received orientation information from then on. Hope this helps some of you, and good luck to everyone!

Thank you so much for providing your timeline! It's hard to be patient but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, 2020 PHAPer here! I know many of you are anxious right now awaiting updates so I just wanted to provide you all with a timeline of my experience last year (it may vary this year). May 5th I received my invitation for an interview (zoom). Interviews were held May 7th-May 17th and you had the freedom to choose whichever day /time you preferred within that window (based on availability). After my interview, I was notified that I had been selected for the program/ matched (city and state) on June 30th. Acceptances were sent out in waves, the first set of people were notified beginning of June, next wave end of June so forth and so on until late August early September I believe, our start date was October 13th. August 12th we received an email with our host site information- supervisors, address, email, numbers etc. and we received orientation information from then on. Hope this helps some of you, and good luck to everyone!
Thank you for giving us this timeline and your experience! It's definitely very anxious to just wait and not know. This may be a stupid question but I was curious though if you- or if anyone else who may be a current PHAPer, may know- but did a lot of people get interviews? I'm sort of wondering about how big the cuts are for each round. I know it's like about 150-200ish(?) PHAPers at the end, but I was just wondering how many interviews they may be doing.

Thank you for giving us this timeline and your experience! It's definitely very anxious to just wait and not know. This may be a stupid question but I was curious though if you- or if anyone else who may be a current PHAPer, may know- but did a lot of people get interviews? I'm sort of wondering about how big the cuts are for each round. I know it's like about 150-200ish(?) PHAPers at the end, but I was just wondering how many interviews they may be doing.
Unfortunately they do not tell us that information. Just how many people applied and how many are in our cohort. For my cohort there were roughly 2115 applicants and my cohort is 186/187 people. I know for class of 2021 it was mentioned they were aiming to fill roughly 110-115 positions .

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you for sharing all of this information! Do you have any tips for the interview you're willing to share?

Hi! Thank you for sharing all of this information! Do you have any tips for the interview you're willing to share?
Not really, because the interviews weren't tense at all (from my experience, and others in my cohort). It was more so a conversation, getting to know you and seeing if you are BEST FIT ( CDC - BEST FIT Characteristics for PHAP Candidates - Become an Associate - PHAP) for the program. I would advise to practice situational/ hypothetical interview questions

Hey guys! I noticed on the PHAP portal it says "PHAP is in the interview stage for the class of 2021. If you were invited for an interview, click on the blue button below of your 2021 application to select an interview time slot". Hopefully we hear something soon regarding interviews, but it looks like they are working on it. Let's all keep hope alive!

Hey guys! I noticed on the PHAP portal it says "PHAP is in the interview stage for the class of 2021. If you were invited for an interview, click on the blue button below of your 2021 application to select an interview time slot". Hopefully we hear something soon regarding interviews, but it looks like they are working on it. Let's all keep hope alive!
Did your application status change from Under Review to Interview?

Did your application status change from Under Review to Interview?
My status changed from under review to interview as well! I have not received an official e-mail from PHAP just yet.

My status changed from under review to interview as well! I have not received an official e-mail from PHAP just yet.
Yayyy!! Yeah I'm hoping they will send out emails soon then because I saw that it had said "There are 3 days left to submit" so hoping we get emails super soon :)

Hey everyone! I have not checked my portal yet, but I just received an email from [email protected] inviting me to interview! It seems the year the phases of the application process are moving along quickly compared to last year. Good luck everyone!

i got an interview!!! i haven’t checked the email yet i just saw the subject line and came straight here haha i’m shaking omg i can’t believe i got this far!! congrats everyone 🥳

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I have not checked my portal yet, but I just received an email from [email protected] inviting me to interview! It seems the year the phases of the application process are moving along quickly compared to last year. Good luck everyone!
update: My applicant portal says "interview" on a blue button

Just received an email from CDC a few minutes ago about arranging an interview. Congrats everyone!! We're slowly but surely chugging along haha :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone! I unfortunately had my status changed to “Not Selected for Interview”, but I’m cheering everyone on!

Reactions: 6 users
Ahhhh, I just saw that I got an interview!!! I'm freaking out and shaking, I have been trying to keep my expectations low. But congrats to everyone who got one and also, I'm very proud of you even if you didn't! You did amazing!!! Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of ya'll in the future!

Hi all,

So happy to hear everyone's news!

I also got an email about an interview! Looking forward to all of us going through the interview phase successfully!

Has anyone gotten more information on the position they're interviewing for?

Ahhhh, I just saw that I got an interview!!! I'm freaking out and shaking, I have been trying to keep my expectations low. But congrats to everyone who got one and also, I'm very proud of you even if you didn't! You did amazing!!! Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of ya'll in the future!
Hi guys,

Is anyone else having trouble submitting a time slot for the interview?

Everything I pick is unavailable.

Hi guys,

Is anyone else having trouble submitting a time slot for the interview?

Everything I pick is unavailable.
I managed to schedule mine after a try or so- I had to refresh it and then pick the same day, same time- but like one of the other options. So maybe try that?? Otherwise, I think if it's taken it should say unavailable.

Omg I got an email to interview!!!

I got the email for interview as well! Also yes choosing the time slot was difficult for me. Even tho the slot said available it would not let me choose it. I kept picking times for 20 min until it finally worked. I still have yet to receive a email confirmation.