2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The first two times I applied, I was in school the first time and did not know how to use the USAJobs platform at all. Pretty sure I messed up the paperwork and never made it past the first stage. The second time I made it all the way to the offer but turned it down. Both times, I was very concerned with what I did right or wrong. Even now, I am uncertain about this round of questions. But alas, it is no longer in our control. Don't stress about it. If for some reason the first time is a miss, there is next year, so learn from it. That said, it will seem like it is taking forever. And I am pretty sure most people are questioning their experience, regardless. Those who immerse themselves at every opportunity and those who do what they can all have their own "did I do enough?" moments.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone happy Monday! So around this exact time last year is when they started sending out decision emails for moving on to the personal statement portion so fingers crossed we hear something today! :) it’s been a dream of mine to work for the CDC since high school so now that I have my degree and have some more work experience I’m really hoping this opportunity works out for me. I’m just curious, what is everyone currently doing? I’m working for an infusion company as a medical biller currently!
I work for Georgia Department of Public Health as a Case Investigator during the pandemic! I’m also finishing up my Masters degree this year!! Good luck to everyone!! I also called today to check on the status and they said that they were so many applicants, more than usual this year, that they are still not done reviewing applications. The lady on the phone said we should hear back about a week or so..

Reactions: 5 users
I work for Georgia Department of Public Health as a Case Investigator during the pandemic! I’m also finishing up my Masters degree this year!! Good luck to everyone!! I also called today to check on the status and they said that they were so many applicants, more than usual this year, that they are still not done reviewing applications. The lady on the phone said we should hear back about a week or so..
Ohhh thank you for this update! I’ve been anxiously checking my email

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
here’s to hoping we all hear good news next week!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email from the program saying I've been invited to the next step of the selection process. Now I need to submit responses to the questions and complete my profile. I hope everyone on this forum hears good news too!

Just got the e-mail invited to submit a personal statement! Congrats to everyone else!

I just got an email from the program saying I've been invited to the next step of the selection process. Now I need to submit responses to the questions and complete my profile. I hope everyone on this forum hears good news too!
Just got the e-mail invited to submit a personal statement! Congrats to everyone else!
Ah me too!

Reactions: 3 users
got an email to move on!! i cannot believe my eyes i am so grateful for this opportunity omg contrast everyone!!

Just received my email as well! As someone who's about to be freshly graduated from undergrad, very grateful for the opportunity. Good luck everyone, hope y'all continue to receive good news ☺️

ME TOOO!! CONGRATS everybody!!

Got the same email!!! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 1 user
I also received the email! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, congrats everyone! Does anyone know if they release emails in waves? I haven't received any email, good or bad, and my application status just still shows as 'received' on USA jobs

Ahhh, congrats everyone! Does anyone know if they release emails in waves? I haven't received any email, good or bad, and my application status just still shows as 'received' on USA jobs
I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't receive an email either and my application status says received as well.

Hello! New here. I applied through USA Jobs back in January. Recieved an email this week stating I needed to create a profile and fill it up with my information. Answered a few questions and attached my resume/transcripts.

Judging from previous years and this forum, candidates go through an interview during the first week of May and recieve an offer during June.

My #1 choice would be Puerto Rico.

I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't receive an email either and my application status says received as well.
I'm not sure if they release them in waves but my application status did not change from 'received' after I got my email. So I think there is a chance you could still get an email. Wishing you both luck!

I'm not sure if they release them in waves but my application status did not change from 'received' after I got my email. So I think there is a chance you could still get an email. Wishing you both luck!
It seems like they email you to let you know that they won’t be going forward with your application, so considering no one has reported getting those as of yet is promising.

Based on someone else’s post, they were told they were going to send out responses this coming week. Although it’s discouraging to have not received an email as of yet, the idea that they’re being sent out in waves seems to be viable possibility.

Last edited:
It seems like they email you to let you know that they won’t be going forward with your application, so considering no one has reported getting those as of yet is promising.

Based on someone else’s post, they were told they were going to send out responses this coming week. Although it’s discouraging to have not received an email as of yet, the idea that they’re being sent out in waves seems to be viable possibility.
Yeah, I agree, we'll hear one way or the other. I went back and looked at the 2020 and 2019 threads and it does look like they do send out emails in batches. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I’m curious to hear what your guys’ areas of interest are for the program! I haven’t marked mine yet but I am definitely interested in environmental health

I’m curious to hear what your guys’ areas of interest are for the program! I haven’t marked mine yet but I am definitely interested in environmental health
Im hoping to be placed in Injury and Violence Prevention, or something in Community Health. There are so many other interesting areas though, Im curious as to what type of positions will be open

Im hoping to be placed in Injury and Violence Prevention, or something in Community Health. There are so many other interesting areas though, Im curious as to what type of positions will be open
Same, I’m honestly open to anything!

I am hoping for either of these as well! Or I’m interested in Health Equity or Chronic Disease as it related to population health. I’m honestly so interested in this program because I do not have a masters degree so I’m hoping this will give me exposure for the 2 years so I can make the decision on whether I’d like to get my MPH or not!

I am hoping for either of these as well! Or I’m interested in Health Equity or Chronic Disease as it related to population health. I’m honestly so interested in this program because I do not have a masters degree so I’m hoping this will give me exposure for the 2 years so I can make the decision on whether I’d like to get my MPH or not!
same about the masters degree! I would like to get one but I just really don’t know what for

Submitted my personal statement and preferences! I think I checked and re-checked everything 5 or more times and I'm still convinced I misspelled something.

I listed numerous interests, mainly because outside of one or two subject areas, I'm open to doing anything.

If I had to list my top 5, they would be:

1) COVID-19
2) HIV/AIDS Prevention
3) Public Health Surveillance
4) Sexually Trasmitted Disease Prevention
5) Viral Hepatitis Prevention

For the last question regarding re-applicants, is that for those that applied previously regardless of where you ended up in the application cycle or for those that were offered positions and declined but are applying again?? I might be overthinking it...

For the last question regarding re-applicants, is that for those that applied previously regardless of where you ended up in the application cycle or for those that were offered positions and declined but are applying again?? I might be overthinking it...
I would assume it's for anyone who has applied previously. I was going to answer that question even though I did not make it very far last year anyways!

Hi! I'm so excited to see there's a forum for this. I wish I would have seen it sooner! But congrats to everyone who has made it to the first round! Proud of you! I'm currently working on my application, and I was curious if you guys were submitting a new resume, how you may be updating it, or changing it from the first round? I saw in the email they mention "please provide an updated resume" and I personally submitted my most updated one. Do you think it would be okay to submit again or would it be bad to not change it?

Hi! I'm so excited to see there's a forum for this. I wish I would have seen it sooner! But congrats to everyone who has made it to the first round! Proud of you! I'm currently working on my application, and I was curious if you guys were submitting a new resume, how you may be updating it, or changing it from the first round? I saw in the email they mention "please provide an updated resume" and I personally submitted my most updated one. Do you think it would be okay to submit again or would it be bad to not change it?
Yea I am really confused about this one as well. I used the resume builder for the initial application and my resume was MUCH longer than it normally is and also was tailored to fit their weird af questionnaire questions so I don't know if I have to still keep those questions in mind when sending in another resume.

I don't think it would be bad to not change it if you don't have anything new to add to it! But for me, its just those weird questions that are throwing me off.

Yea I am really confused about this one as well. I used the resume builder for the initial application and my resume was MUCH longer than it normally is and also was tailored to fit their weird af questionnaire questions so I don't know if I have to still keep those questions in mind when sending in another resume.

I don't think it would be bad to not change it if you don't have anything new to add to it! But for me, its just those weird questions that are throwing me off.
Ahhh, interesting okay! I made a separate resume on Word and didn't use the resume builder for my first application, so it's my most updated application. But I completely agree- sometimes the questions are throwing me off or the slight vagueness of things.

I downloaded the resume I created on USAJobs during the initial application and just re-uploaded the same document on EFMS.

Last edited:
Nice! I actually applied for grad school last year and have been planning on going to Emory for my MPH in the fall so this seems like a fun turn of events haha. For me, PHAP seems like a great alternative to a master's program. For me, the purpose of getting my MPH ay Emory is to get those CDC connections and become a PH advisor for them, and obviously just being a more competitive candidate in my career. So if I could get PAID and get job training in the exact field I am interested in, it just seems like a no brainer. I never really thought to get my MPH after a program such as PHAP but I could definitely see the benefits still

I am trying to do the same! I'm in my senior year of undergrad and graduating this semester, so I really want to get some more experience before pursuing an MPH (and possibly a PhD), but it's nice to see other people who don't have a Masters Degree are applying. That really intimidated me a bit when I saw this forum and how some people have their Masters, but some don't- which is really cool! I think a program like this that is meant for either stage of education is nice. I'm curious about if they prefer one or the other, or have a specific quota or something.

Does anyone else's application say "untitled" on EFMS? Anyway to change that? Also, when I submitted the personal statement/prefernces, I received the confirmation e-mail that says "Dear, _____", but my name was not listed, it was blank. Not sure if this is the same for others?

Does anyone else's application say "untitled" on EFMS? Anyway to change that? Also, when I submitted the personal statement/prefernces, I received the confirmation e-mail that says "Dear, _____", but my name was not listed, it was blank. Not sure if this is the same for others?
I'm having the same issue- also for a few other items like Education are "(untitled)". I haven't figured out how to change it though.

I am trying to do the same! I'm in my senior year of undergrad and graduating this semester, so I really want to get some more experience before pursuing an MPH (and possibly a PhD), but it's nice to see other people who don't have a Masters Degree are applying. That really intimidated me a bit when I saw this forum and how some people have their Masters, but some don't- which is really cool! I think a program like this that is meant for either stage of education is nice. I'm curious about if they prefer one or the other, or have a specific quota or something.
according to past forms and things online past breakdowns have been like 65/35 bachelors/masters give or take so I really think its geared towards people without any experience! (esp with the pay grade :'( lol)

Hi everyone! I am a current PHAPer. Congrats on those who were selected for the next round! If you have any questions about the program or app phase, please feel free to ask away. 😊

I just checked it again today and it looks like they updated it- so now the due date is updated instead of saying like "170" something days left, and then the application is changed from the "untitled" to your name. I haven't submitted it yet, but hopefully, it's changed for those who have submitted it already.

I just checked it again today and it looks like they updated it- so now the due date is updated instead of saying like "170" something days left, and then the application is changed from the "untitled" to your name. I haven't submitted it yet, but hopefully, it's changed for those who have submitted it already.
I see that now! Thank you!

Hi everyone! I am a current PHAPer. Congrats on those who were selected for the next round! If you have any questions about the program or app phase, please feel free to ask away. 😊
Was the interview portion pretty straight forward or did the questions throw you off?

Was the interview portion pretty straight forward or did the questions throw you off?
The interview questions were straight forward. There weren't any questions that were hard or ones that will throw you off. Most of the questions were simple behavioral questions.

Did you have an MPH or a bachelor's? Did you get your location preference and/field of interest?

Did you have an MPH or a bachelor's? Did you get your location preference and/field of interest?
I have a bachelor's. This program is really great for those with only a bachelor's and little to no experience in public health. Many of the cohort only have a Bachelor's I believe. I am thinking about getting my MPH though while still in the program (an online program).

Also, I did not get my first preference in topic area but I got my first preference in location. The staff was really great with trying to accommodate most with their preference for 2020 cohort.

I’m working on my answers to the personal statement! I feel like its straightforward and i’m over thinking it lol I just have trouble putting my thoughts into words. Anyone else?

I’m working on my answers to the personal statement! I feel like its straightforward and i’m over thinking it lol I just have trouble putting my thoughts into words. Anyone else?
I feel the same way! I also work full time so by the time I'm done with work I feel like I'm WAY over thinking how to respond lol. I definitely was expecting something way different for the personal statement though so these were a nice surprise!

I feel the same way! I also work full time so by the time I'm done with work I feel like I'm WAY over thinking how to respond lol. I definitely was expecting something way different for the personal statement though so these were a nice surprise!
I was also expecting something different! But I actually liked how it was just questions instead of having to write a whole paper. I just submitted mine, hoping everything is all good!

Since I didn’t receive any email, should I assume I didn’t move on?

Since I didn’t receive any email, should I assume I didn’t move on?
I believe other people said they may be sending emails in batches. You could always reach out to the program phone number and ask for clarification!