2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some saying the emails will be sent tomorrow. It isn't as simple, because I think they have to get approved by the host site.

Members don't see this ad.

Did yours recently change this afternoon or has it been that way since you last looked? I'm wondering if they will continue to change or not.. I know they said it means nothing but it feels like it should?
I checked it early this morning probably like 8AM Chicago time and it still said something about the interview. It was updated when I looked at around 4.

Do you guys think there are still going to be batches? My interviewer was very adamant about me checking my email in June

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think there are still going to be batches? My interviewer was very adamant about me checking my email in June
I feel like batches are the most reasonable because if someone declines, someone else can take the place? But now I have no idea lol

Reactions: 1 users
Well looking up grad schools near me rn so I can have a back up plan lol

Reactions: 3 users
Personally, I was looking back at the old forums and they heard back for over a month after the first wave. I think the status update could be a good sign but I don’t think the rest of us should lose hope yet! I’m still at a “ready for interview” status and I’m just going to try and relax and stop thinking about it until I either get a email or call, or July rolls around.
It’s a very competitive program and while I’d love to be accepted, I also have to be realistic! Good luck everyone and let’s not stress to much about it.

Reactions: 1 user
My interviewer said they were hoping to send tentative offers late May. These tentative offers mean that you are accepted to the program but might not have been matched to a location yet. That was why my interviewer also told me that we will most likely hear back starting June.

Yeah so emails will be sent out sometime today. I called again to get clarification, no emails have been sent out so if your portal changed, it was most likely an error or maybe not but emails are the confirmation. So keep refreshing your emails loll

Yeah so emails will be sent out sometime today. I called again to get clarification, no emails have been sent out so if your portal changed, it was most likely an error or maybe not but emails are the confirmation. So keep refreshing your emails loll
Did they clarify if they are still doing batches?

Do you know if it is going to be in batches?

Did they clarify if they are still doing batches?
Nope, she didn’t mention anything about batches or like she didn’t say the “first round of acceptances will be sent out today” It sounded like all emails. She just said “no emails have been sent out but emails will be sent out sometime today”.

IF emails get sent today, this will be the fastest cohort to get accepted. All the others were between May and even September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, she didn’t mention anything about batches or like she didn’t say the “first round of acceptances will be sent out today” It sounded like all emails. She just said “no emails have been sent out but emails will be sent out sometime today”.
I wish they'd clarify it lmaooo or I wish they'd send out rejections just so I know for sure :')

I wish they'd clarify it lmaooo or I wish they'd send out rejections just so I know for sure :')
You know what at this point TBH I’m just like over it lollll

whatever the heck happens, happens. This has been the longest 5-6 months ever lol; let me move on with life lol;

Like previous forums read, you kind of can’t bank on this being your only option. You kind of just like have to live life as if you haven’t gotten it/normally then out of the blue pack up your life and move to a new state lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would think they would still do batches! It doesn’t make sense for them to ch age how they have done things for the past few years!

You know what at this point TBH I’m just like over it lollll

whatever the heck happens, happens. This has been the longest 5-6 months ever lol; let me move on with life lol;

Like previous forums read, you kind of can’t bank on this being your only option. You kind of just like have to live life as if you haven’t gotten it.
Feel that!!! Obviously proud of all of us for getting this far, but SHEESH this wait is killing me lmao

I would think they would still do batches! It doesn’t make sense for them to ch age how they have done things for the past few years!
See that's what I was thinking ?? Because I know soooo many interviewers told us that we could be waiting to hear back even in August

See that's what I was thinking ?? Because I know soooo many interviewers told us that we could be waiting to hear back even in August
I was told the people who don’t hear back until August were waitlisted and got matched when other people turn down their offer. The initial “batch” are those ranked highest and matched first.

I was told the people who don’t hear back until August were waitlisted and got matched when other people turn down their offer. The initial “batch” are those ranked highest and matched first.
I’ve also been told by a current PHAPer that batches are released by geographic region, so just because you don’t get an offer in the first round doesn’t necessarily mean you weren’t a top pick. But who knows, it seems to be up in the air as to what they’re doing this year

I’ve also been told by a current PHAPer that batches are released by geographic region, so just because you don’t get an offer in the first round doesn’t necessarily mean you weren’t a top pick. But who knows, it seems to be up in the air as to what they’re doing this year
Georgraphic region in terms of where you currently live or in terms of placement that they put you in?

Hey all! I know this is pretty stressful! Every year there seems to be "a glitch in the system" so this isn't too crazy of a situation. I would ignore the portal changes until you receive an official email. You’re in for a long bumpy ride so I would not stress too much at this stage 😂

When the emails are sent out it will basically say "You have been matched to [city and state] and assigned to work on [topic], you have 24 hours to accept your match in the portal" ... yes we were given 24 HOURS to give them an answer. Once you accept in the portal you will eventually be reached out to by a HR rep to start the process to get your tentative offer letter. You will only receive your specific host site info (what health department and who your supervisor is) later in the process after background checks have been passed etc..

Go on a walk...take a break... don’t stress!

Reactions: 4 users
I wish they allowed people to swap assignments. That would probably deter the amount of people that drop the program from leaving.

Hey all! I know this is pretty stressful! Every year there seems to be "a glitch in the system" so this isn't too crazy of a situation. I would ignore the portal changes until you receive an official email. You’re in for a long bumpy ride so I would not stress too much at this stage 😂

When the emails are sent out it will basically say "You have been matched to [city and state] and assigned to work on [topic], you have 24 hours to accept your match in the portal" ... yes we were given 24 HOURS to give them an answer. Once you accept in the portal you will eventually be reached out to by a HR rep to start the process to get your tentative offer letter. You will only receive your specific host site info (what health department and who your supervisor is) later in the process after background checks have been passed etc..

Go on a walk...take a break... don’t stress!
Lol 24 hours?????? Insanity!! You basically have either 24 hrs to decide to pack your life up and move somewhere new & start a new life or not...goodness, not enough time lol 😂 These are big life decisions to make for such a short amount of time to think about it lol! But I guess it’s worth it soo be prepared for whatever I guess lol

Last edited:
Sorry to be updating the forum because I'm sure everyone is looking forward to the someone posting about receiving emails. I just wanted to ask if whether we are 100% sure that some emails will be sent out today. Needless to say, I've been distracted all day waiting for emails and forum updates. This process is very nerve-wracking.

Sorry to be updating the forum because I'm sure everyone is looking forward to the someone posting about receiving emails. I just wanted to ask if whether we are 100% sure that some emails will be sent out today. Needless to say, I've been distracted all day waiting for emails and forum updates. This process is very nerve-wracking.
I spoke to 4 different people between yesterday and today - the people today said they will be starting today. One of them said that today will be the day for all of the notifications. The other person said they’re starting today and going through next week. Neither of them told me a time or had a solid answer to what PHAP is doing with alternatives. So, I have no idea whether today is IT or if it continues. I’d like to believe it continues given what we know about past cohorts... but i’m anxiously awaiting like all of you.

I’ve been refreshing my email every 10 min 😂

I spoke to 4 different people between yesterday and today - the people today said they will be starting today. One of them said that today will be the day for all of the notifications. The other person said they’re starting today and going through next week. Neither of them told me a time or had a solid answer to what PHAP is doing with alternatives. So, I have no idea whether today is IT or if it continues. I’d like to believe it continues given what we know about past cohorts... but i’m anxiously awaiting like all of you.
I was told yesterday that emails will be sent by 3 p.m.

Lol 24 hours?????? Insanity!! You basically have either 24 hrs to decide to pack your life up and move somewhere new & start a new life or not...goodness, not enough time lol 😂 These are big life decisions to make for such a short amount of time to think about it lol! But I guess it’s worth it soo be prepared for whatever I guess lol
I agree. While we agreed to take a placement wherever, I think 3 days is a more reasonable amount of time to make a decision. I’ll go anywhere, and don’t have a partner or children to worry about, but for some people that’s not the case.

I know I’m just an anxious mess but it is now 3 pm est time

Reactions: 5 users
No emails but I was one of the people who had a portal changed. My portal now has additional entries. Anyone see any changes? Why are they making system errors like this 🥲

No emails but I was one of the people who had a portal changed. My portal now has additional entries. Anyone see any changes? Why are they making system errors like this 🥲
Yeah, I saw the portal entries change too. Now it says “admin class” and has a few more questions.

I also see these changes, maybe system errors as in we were not supposed to see the changes as they are being made? Still refreshing my email lol

I experienced the same.

I think I'm out for the count everyone. My portal didn't change 🙃. Good luck to everyone and hopefully I made backup? Who knows anymore, this is too stressful for me.

It looks like the form they use to enter your match information but it’s showing up on our end.

I also see these changes, maybe system errors as in we were not supposed to see the changes as they are being made? Still refreshing my email lol
Before i got the interview email i saw them making final edits in the portal. I think that’s what they might be doing with the location assignments right now

My portal hasn’t changed. I hope that doesn’t mean I wasn’t selected....

I still think they're doing batches as they have in previous years, so for everyone who didn't see portal changes - don't give up :)

My portal hasn't changed either, but as I've said, my interviewer told me multiple times (without me even asking) to give it until at least August!

Yall they really said 3 PM EST is when we clock-in and start crunching :coffee: GUYS MY PORTAL SHOWS A LOCATION! My Confirmation Matching got marked Complete. I have location as Atlanta, GA for Infectious Disease (one of my field)

Reactions: 12 users
I still think they're doing batches as they have in previous years, so for everyone who didn't see portal changes - don't give up :)

My portal hasn't changed either, but as I've said, my interviewer told me multiple times (without me even asking) to give it until at least August!

My interviewer said to check in June!

Yall they really said 3 PM EST is when we clock-in and start crunching :coffee: GUYS MY PORTAL SHOWS A LOCATION! My Confirmation Matching got marked Complete. I have location as Atlanta, GA for Infectious Disease (one of my field)
Yay congrats, my portal changed but I have not seen a location change as yet!

Reactions: 3 users
OMG congrats this is the exact combination I was hoping for 😭

Where are you located? I’m wondering if they’re going by geographic location.