2021-2022 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in youur secondary, did you write about wanting to work in underserved areas? I don't think that's what the question is asking about?

I had minimal rural experience, and I was truthful about that. I do have a lot of urban underserved experience which was decently well-received. But one of my interviewers definitely grilled me about "why rural" in my interview -- I got the sense that they thought I may be using them as a backup, which wasn't true on my end but is hard to voice when you only have a small amount of rural experience. So to answer your question briefly -- yes, I did write about underserved areas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
but the primary seems to be focusing on why DO? do we need to incorproat of wanting to work in underserved communities? It looks like they left that question off in the question and want us to focus on why DO?

My secondary question was "Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school." If that helps

My secondary question was "Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school." If that helps
do you think I can use my experiences in global brigades of wanting to serve the underserved?

How did you incorporate your urban undeserved experience in a why DO questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think I can use my experiences in global brigades of wanting to serve the underserved?

How did you incorporate your urban undeserved experience in a why DO questions?

I think you could. It truthfully depends on what you took away from your global brigades experiences, but maybe they inspired you to want to do primary care because you saw how big of a difference it can make on communities, or maybe it made you interested in serving communities beyond what you have lived in currently (i.e. rural).

My entire app was very underserved-focused, so I talked about how all of those experiences made me specifically want to do primary care. I also tied in lack of access/resources, as that is a commonality between urban and rural areas. I'm being somewhat vague just for anonymity preservation

I think you could. It truthfully depends on what you took away from your global brigades experiences, but maybe they inspired you to want to do primary care because you saw how big of a difference it can make on communities, or maybe it made you interested in serving communities beyond what you have lived in currently (i.e. rural).

My entire app was very underserved-focused, so I talked about how all of those experiences made me specifically want to do primary care. I also tied in lack of access/resources, as that is a commonality between urban and rural areas. I'm being somewhat vague just for anonymity preservation
i do not live in a rural area. And yea, lack of resources/access is something I've seen.

but the primary seems to be focusing on why DO? do we need to incorproat of wanting to work in underserved communities? It looks like they left that question off in the question and want us to focus on why DO?
I'm not sure I've effectively made my point, but I will take a stab at answering your question (please disregard if you find this unhelpful/even more confusing):

It is in your best interest to incorporate your desire of wanting to work in an underserved RURAL community if this is part of the prompt. I think we can make the assumption that if a community is rural, it is underserved. That's why I think you should talk about your work with Global Medical Brigades, but please illustrate in some way you understand those communities are not rural, but SOMEHOW your experiences with those communities make you interested in helping rural communities. If this makes you feel like you need to bend over backwards to force your experience to answer the prompt, I advise you to think of other experiences you can discuss to answer the prompt. Please do not worry about having the perfect example(s)--some brainstorming is normal and expected imho.

Disclaimer: I do not have access to my KYCOM secondary portal atm (so I don't recall the secondary prompt) and have not received an II at this school.

I'm not sure I've effectively made my point, but I will take a stab at answering your question (please disregard if you find this unhelpful/even more confusing):

It is in your best interest to incorporate your desire of wanting to work in an underserved RURAL community if this is part of the prompt. I think we can make the assumption that if a community is rural, it is underserved. That's why I think you should talk about your work with Global Medical Brigades, but please illustrate in some way you understand those communities are not rural, but SOMEHOW your experiences with those communities make you interested in helping rural communities. If this makes you feel like you need to bend over backwards to force your experience to answer the prompt, I advise you to think of other experiences you can discuss to answer the prompt. Please do not worry about having the perfect example(s)--some brainstorming is normal and expected imho.

Disclaimer: I do not have access to my KYCOM secondary portal atm (so I don't recall the secondary prompt) and have not received an II at this school.
thank you.

This is the prompt:

1. Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. (500 words or less)

How do I fit in working in a rural area in this question. I feel like a paragraph on that will be so random. Global brigades does serve rural areas:

thank you.

This is the prompt:

1. Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. (500 words or less)

How do I fit in working in a rural area in this question. I feel like a paragraph on that will be so random. Global brigades does serve rural areas:

Sigh, ok I think I need to get off this thread because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

You're right that you don't need to fit in working in a rural area. it would indeed be random.

how to contact admissions without looking bad?
Nothing wrong with being pleasantly persistent :) you won’t look bad, if anything just more interested. All you need to say is that you were complete on … and you just wanted to follow up and see if there was anything missing on their end from your file because this is a place you are very interested in.

the only real underserved experince i had was through global brigades, does that work?
Yep :) really just anything that shows your dedication to the underserved and that you know what it’s like to not have every specialty at your fingertips

Sigh, ok I think I need to get off this thread because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

You're right that you don't need to fit in working in a rural area. it would indeed be random.
No need to get off the thread, everyone is here for information. One thing that is important to remember is that many DOs (as is the mission) is to help serve in rural areas and in underserved communities so I think that would be fine. As long as you get at the mission and include that you have some experience shadowing (MD or DO) along with the fact that you understand the mission of a DO (mind, body, spirit etc) that will be good enough. Also add that you are continuing to look for DO shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to get off the thread, everyone is here for information. One thing that is important to remember is that many DOs (as is the mission) is to help serve in rural areas and in underserved communities so I think that would be fine. As long as you get at the mission and include that you have some experience shadowing (MD or DO) along with the fact that you understand the mission of a DO (mind, body, spirit etc) that will be good enough. Also add that you are continuing to look for DO shadowing experience.
no one needs to get off. thank you all for helping. yea, in my PS i do talk about underserved but for the secondary it talks about why DO? and that's what I did. but i didn't focus on underserved as it would just not fit in with everything i said from before.

Got an II from them yesterday within 24 hours of being complete! OOS Appalachian, cGPA 3.78, MCAT 506

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else still waiting to have their interview be scheduled? I received an invite and never got a response after emailing to confirm…

Accepted just now! Got a call. Interviewed 2 weeks ago

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today and this is my first acceptance and it’s so surreal! Interviewed 10/5, secondary completed 9/29!

anyone accepted with low mcat (below 500)?

Wouldn't they say "it is under review"? I have always been told that everytime I ask for an update...
Yes that common for “we are still determining if we are going to interview you”, but sometimes they are waiting for your file to be complete (waiting for documents to be uploaded) which you can fix. It’s also good because it shows your interest. It also may be something as simple as your inviter was overlooked and just waiting to be published which he can fix.

Submitted my secondary app 10/13 and got an interview invite yesterday! Scheduled it today for 10/28

No interview invite yet, completed on July 5. Should I reach out? If I do, won't they just say it's under review?

No interview invite yet, completed on July 5. Should I reach out? If I do, won't they just say it's under review?
I emailed them after being complete since July and they gave me an interview invite an hour later! Worth a shot!

Reactions: 1 users
I received my II today! 504 MCAT, 3.4 sGPA, IS (from Appalachia).

My app was marked complete today. How long did it take most to receive an interview invite after your file being marked complete?

Got my first II from KYCOM today 11 minutes after my application being marked complete. OOS.

Anyone know what post interview acceptance rate looks like?

My app was marked complete today. How long did it take most to receive an interview invite after your file being marked complete?

I received my interview invite email literally one minute after the complete email.

Also, I saw something from 2018 that said the post-interview acceptance was hovering close to 85%, but that was from a random spreadsheet on reddit so take that with a grain of salt.

I got an A lastMonday (10/11) 2 weeks after my interview date - I was complete 7/21

Stats : 505 sgpa 3.4 OOS

I emailed yesterday night and got a II today lmao

I emailed them right now about the status of my app and they replied pretty quickly. Told me I’m not competitive enough for interviews but they will consider me later in the cycle…

• Care
How long ago were you complete? I just submitted this past Friday but seeing they have a pretty quick interview turnaround I’m assuming I’m in the same boat as you
I was complete in July. I emailed them today because I saw people email and they get interviews. So when I emailed, instead I got the response that I’m not competitive for interview. So basically an interview hold.

I was also complete mid-July and based on y’all saying that the admissions office responds quickly i went ahead and sent email to them just now regarding my status. Probably also received an interview hold but I will update the forum once they reply.

I have an interview scheduled at 1-2 pm CDT, is that 1 pm CST? I'm sorry lol I just struggle with timezones :///