2021-2022 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted 06/30/21 with all the required information and I’m still in screening. I emailed them the other day and they said I was in the “final stages” of screening. Whatever that means lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted 06/30/21 with all the required information and I’m still in screening. I emailed them the other day and they said I was in the “final stages” of screening. Whatever that means lol
Yeah, I think I must be in the same boat. I submitted 6/28/21 but I had a late letter so maybe that's compounding the problem. Here's to hoping for good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received a secondary on 6/19, submitted on 6/28, marked complete on 7/30. No II but no rejection, guess I'm just waiting, right?

So I received a secondary on 6/19, submitted on 6/28, marked complete on 7/30. No II but no rejection, guess I'm just waiting, right?
It was a very slow process last year.

Primary submitted 5/5/20,
Secondary invite 6/18, submitted same day
Letters were complete on AACOMAS 7/2
Marked complete by VCOM 9/4
II 10/12 for SC,
I called to change my app preference to VA a couple weeks later
II 10/30 VA
Interview 11/20, they said the class was full… W
A 2/26

How will this cycle compare to last year’s? Hard to say… best advice I can give is keep them abreast of any updates and when you do remind them of your continued interest in the program and mission. I feel like AACOMAS was particularly slow motion last year with references and such.

Reactions: 2 users

II 10/12 for SC,
II 10/30 VA
A 2/26

How will this cycle compare to last year’s? Hard to say… best advice I can give is keep them abreast of any updates and when you do remind them of your continued interest in the program and mission. I feel like AACOMAS was particularly slow motion last year with references and such.

How did you request that your campus assignment be changed?

II 10/12 for SC,
II 10/30 VA
A 2/26

You can change your preference from the campus they assign to you? Like, if you get an IL from one campus, you can ask for another campus?

Marked complete today! Submitted secondary 7/13. I emailed admissions to see if anything was holding me up for completion and they went ahead and reviewed and marked it complete like 12 minutes later. Don’t be afraid to reach out if it has been a while!

Reactions: 1 users
How did you request that your campus assignment be changed?

You can change your preference from the campus they assign to you? Like, if you get an IL from one campus, you can ask for another campus?
I had originally put SC as my top choice... I think in the secondary you are asked to rank your preferences. When I got the invite from SC I emailed and called the adcom there to request a preference for the VA campus. This meant withdrawing my app to SC to be reconsidered for VA. They asked if I was sure about that because there was no guarantee of II to VA.

For the important qualities prompts like this one for VCOM, do you guys "show, not tell" them or do you just say "i have this, this, and this. Here is how I demonstrate them"? I have some good paragraphs written telling stories where i demonstrate them, but idk if that would "satisfy" the prompt, since its kind of asking me to state them directly. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the important qualities prompts like this one for VCOM, do you guys "show, not tell" them or do you just say "i have this, this, and this. Here is how I demonstrate them"? I have some good paragraphs written telling stories where i demonstrate them, but idk if that would "satisfy" the prompt, since its kind of asking me to state them directly. what do you guys think?
I think you should mention and show. Like mention the qualities you have while giving an example to explain how you show it and how that would contribute to their school.

I think you should mention and show. Like mention the qualities you have while giving an example to explain how you show it and how that would contribute to their school.
Accepted student from last cycle here. I agree with mention and show. I did the same thing and then it was brought up in one of my interviews later on so be sure its something you have more than one "example" for so you don't repeat yourself too much.

Accepted student from last cycle here. I agree with mention and show. I did the same thing and then it was brought up in one of my interviews later on so be sure its something you have more than one "example" for so you don't repeat yourself too much.
awesome thank you!

4315DA6F-375D-496A-AF05-4F53BB85DC78.png
Anyone else have this X by application complete My AACOMAS application was verified and I submitted everything so I’m not sure what this means.

II yesterday! OOS.
Submitted primary 6/18
Submitted Secondary 7/13
Complete 8/19

View attachment 342725Anyone else have this X by application complete My AACOMAS application was verified and I submitted everything so I’m not sure what this means.
Their boxes seem to be placed out of order, because it means that your file is in their stack to be reviewed for an interview invite but it just hasn’t been looked at yet. It doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with your stuff, they just haven’t gotten to I’m yours yet. They should really place the “Application Complete” box under the “Screening” box. Advice that I was given from admissions was that if it’s not marked complete in 3-4 weeks to shoot them an email just to touch base and make contact. They’re super friendly, and sometimes that helps fast-track them looking it over. Same thing happened to me, and if you scroll back in the comments somebody else said the same.

Is it confirmed that they assign you to the campus you're geographically closest to? I feel like I saw that on one of these threads but never heard anything about it after

Is it confirmed that they assign you to the campus you're geographically closest to? I feel like I saw that on one of these threads but never heard anything about it after
wondering the same thing! I want to go to VA but AL is closest to me

wondering the same thing! I want to go to VA but AL is closest to me
Not necessarily,,, I interviewed and was accepted with the furthest campus from me (even thought it wasn’t my first choice)

No, they assign you first according to your preferences. I am also furthest from VA, originally ranked SC first and was offered an interview, requested to be reconsidered at VA and later got an interview with VA. As mentioned above once you meet the requirements it is more about 1) do you embody the mission and 2) are you from a state in the target region (Appalachian and delta) — HOWEVER #2 is not a hard rule, we have several who are not. They are big on diversity.

Their boxes seem to be placed out of order, because it means that your file is in their stack to be reviewed for an interview invite but it just hasn’t been looked at yet. It doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with your stuff, they just haven’t gotten to I’m yours yet. They should really place the “Application Complete” box under the “Screening” box. Advice that I was given from admissions was that if it’s not marked complete in 3-4 weeks to shoot them an email just to touch base and make contact. They’re super friendly, and sometimes that helps fast-track them looking it over. Same thing happened to me, and if you scroll back in the comments somebody else said the same.
Thank you! I emailed [email protected], should I email anyone else or is that the right email?

FINALLY!!! Secondary marked complete today after submitting all of the required materials on 06/30/21.

Have this on my portal and it’s been two months:
- Your application is incomplete and will be marked complete by admissions after screening.

Any thoughts on whether I should email them or wait it out?

- Your application is incomplete and will be marked complete by admissions after screening.

Mine has been this way as well so I emailed them last week and they basically told me to keep waiting lol. They said it takes a while..

Submitted 7/17 still in screening
I was just about to ask about that. How long does it take for the application to pass "screening"? I submitted 7/21 and am still in screening. Is that consistent with other applicants?

I was just about to ask about that. How long does it take for the application to pass "screening"? I submitted 7/21 and am still in screening. Is that consistent with other applicants?
Yes, I submit around that time too and I am still waiting. I also contacted them Monday and they said they are working on it, but to be patient.

Mine too. Submitted 7/19. I guess it is just a waiting game at this point...

In the same boat, but I submitted on 8/1. I emailed on 8/25 and they said my application was in the "final stages of review for completeness", but that might be a generic statement.....

II invite yesterday! OOS. My application was marked complete on 8/18.

Still stuck on application in screening….

Hey guys, I got a few questions for the CV section:
1) Has anyone just copy pasted their work descriptions into there? I can't think of a more pointless section, especially when AACOMAS has literally everything, along with beautifully written experience descriptions?

2) What if I have lapses in my timeline? (sometimes I worked in things like manual labor/jobs not relevant to med school during undergrad, etc)

3) If I can't reuse AACOMCAS, can I just list things like how they are on my actual CV?
Ex: -Maintained sterile work station
-Prepared samples and specimens
-Etc
4) What goes under "other experience type"? I put like a specific description/name of the role. Not sure if that's okay or not.

5) Should I put something that was a one-day charity event on here? It's on my AACOMAS, but wasn't sure if it mattered for this or not.

Last edited:
Just a word of advice. Admissions called me to offer me a II. I picked up the phone thinking it was a robocall and almost immediately hung up on them. So just beware lol.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users