2020 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-- Posted a thread on this but placing it here as well for traction --
Hello! I am interested in applying to MHA programs, but am thinking through applying to online vs residential programs. I'm interested in online programs to save some costs, but am not sure whether I would miss out significantly on the in-person benefits of a residential program. For context, I have been working in healthcare for 2 years since graduating with my B.S. and would like to start a program Fall 2021. If anyone who is in or has gone through an online MHA program could share some of their experiences as well as their pros and cons that would be very helpful. And if anyone else who hasn't had experience with an online program could share their thoughts as well that'd be great!

Members don't see this ad.

-- Posted a thread on this but placing it here as well for traction --
Hello! I am interested in applying to MHA programs, but am thinking through applying to online vs residential programs. I'm interested in online programs to save some costs, but am not sure whether I would miss out significantly on the in-person benefits of a residential program. For context, I have been working in healthcare for 2 years since graduating with my B.S. and would like to start a program Fall 2021. If anyone who is in or has gone through an online MHA program could share some of their experiences as well as their pros and cons that would be very helpful. And if anyone else who hasn't had experience with an online program could share their thoughts as well that'd be great!

Unless they are CAHME certified I'd be wary. It's easy to post online degrees but no real guidance to them. Happy to speak with you more about it via PM or phone call.

Hi. Was hoping someone would be able to provide me some insight. Was recently accepted into MHA online programs at GW and NYU. Was trying to decide between them. I know the online GW is CAHME while NYU is awaiting their CAHME accreditation, which I imagine theyll get once their first cohort graduates in about 6 months time from what I have been told. Any input between the programs would be greatly appreciated. Both are roughly 2 years so just trying to see which would be the better option. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Was hoping someone would be able to provide me some insight. Was recently accepted into MHA online programs at GW and NYU. Was trying to decide between them. I know the online GW is CAHME while NYU is awaiting their CAHME accreditation, which I imagine theyll get once their first cohort graduates in about 6 months time from what I have been told. Any input between the programs would be greatly appreciated. Both are roughly 2 years so just trying to see which would be the better option. Thanks!

I’d be wary of online programs that are not CAHME accredited. GW’s Executive MHA program is fairly well known amongst online programs whereas NYU‘s overarching MPH program is still building its reputation amongst other powerhouses. Also, my understanding is that GW is an MHA program whereas NYU is an MPH-HCM. Though they may seem similar, there are some differences regarding curriculum, career outcomes, etc. I don’t generally tell folks to choose one or the other as it’s ultimately your money/time, but in this case, I’d choose GW hands down.

Reactions: 1 user
Would someone who has interviewed at GWU be able to give me an idea of approximately how long the online interviews normally last?

Just because I did not see one yet :) Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:
Experience (professional or otherwise)
Special Factors:

Applied:
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
I received an email from JHSPH suggesting that I should transfer my application from MHA to MSPH. We have comparable scores, i.e 3.33 GPA and Verbal 164, Quant 169. I don't understand what I did wrong.

I received an email from JHSPH suggesting that I should transfer my application from MHA to MSPH. We have comparable scores, i.e 3.33 GPA and Verbal 164, Quant 169. I don't understand what I did wrong.
I don’t think you did anything wrong! I just interviewed with JHU and they actually said I might be more suited as well to the MSPH instead of an MHA. I talked about how I’m really looking to be more well-rounded with financial skills in healthcare settings, etc., and stuck with the MHA. I was told from my essay that they weren’t sure if I fit more in the MSPH side or the MHA side and brought that up in my interview, and my background is almost entirely public health (not a lot of admin), which is another reason. They were very focused on me being successful in my chosen program and wanted me to find one that I was best suited for, which is probably where this was coming from. After the discussion I still went with MHA and was accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think you did anything wrong! I just interviewed with JHU and they actually said I might be more suited as well to the MSPH instead of an MHA. I talked about how I’m really looking to be more well-rounded with financial skills in healthcare settings, etc., and stuck with the MHA. I was told from my essay that they weren’t sure if I fit more in the MSPH side or the MHA side and brought that up in my interview, and my background is almost entirely public health (not a lot of admin), which is another reason. They were very focused on me being successful in my chosen program and wanted me to find one that I was best suited for, which is probably where this was coming from. After the discussion I still went with MHA and was accepted.
Wow, that's great! Congratulations!
I think it's the same for me, in terms of experience being more PH than not admin. However, I wasn't interviewed and just recommended for the MSPH program. I suppose my application did not convey my focused interest in MHA.

Hello Everyone!
I went through MHA applications last year and would love to answer any questions about the process or share my experience about the different programs. While going through this, I realized just how incredible these programs are, regardless of rankings. As you go through the process, my best advice would be to embrace your uniqueness, have fun during interviews, trust your instincts, and go where you feel like home. I was beyond excited to accept admission to The Ohio State University because of the people, the culture, and the energy; and 5 weeks in, this program and cohort has already transformed my life.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions, or if you want to hear more about how much I love OSU.
Good luck everyone!

School: University of Idaho (May, 2017)
GPA: 3.53
GMAT: 600
Major: Exercise Science & Health
Minor: Pre-Medical Studies

Experience:
- 2.5 years at Public Health. 85% FTE working with 6 primary care clinics and hospitals on delivery system transformation; 15% FTE health educator working on safe prescribing practice, cancer prevention, chronic disease prevention, and tobacco control.
- 1.5 years as the Board Secretary for a $25-Million Health Legacy Foundation.
- 200+ volunteer hours at free clinic as a lifestyle coach and pharmacy technician.
- previous experience in a nursing home, assisted living facility, and medical billing.

Applied: Cornell (11/16), Hopkins (12/1), MUSC (12/5), UMinn (11/30), OSU (11/28), VCU (11/15), GWU (11/30)
Interview: VCU (1/25), OSU (2/15), Cornell (1/4), MUSC (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UMinn (1/4), Hopkins (2/8)
Accepted: GWU (1/3), Cornell (1/18), VCU (1/25), OSU (2/21)
Attending: The Ohio State University!
What was the interview experience with Cornell like?

Undergrad: Small Top 40 College; GPA: 2.9*
Degree: BS in Psychology and Political Science
Graduate: Small Top 40 College
Degree: MS in Psychology; GPA: 3.7
GRE: 305
Special Factors: 1st gen college; Undergrad gpa was is low because medical issues

Experience:
-volunteered on presidential campaign
-service project in NOLA researching public health disparities
-3 years residential supervising (developing and running community programs, outreach, and education)
-2 years working in college's education department
-2.5 years research assistant in psych lab (ran 3 studies, worked as a confederate in 4th study)
-2 years mental health technician for a healthcare network in NE

Applied: UIowa(11/10), Cornell (11/10), SLU (11/10), UMinn (11/29), GWU(11/29), OSU (11/29), JH (12/5)
Interview: SLU (2/21-Visit Day), Cornell (2/5-Skype), Iowa (declined), OSU (2/7-Visit Day)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UMinn (1/6), JH (1/6)
Accepted:GWU (1/13) $$, OSU (2/14), Cornell (2/20), SLU (2/21)
Attending:
How was your interview experience at Cornell like?

I have a question: is an MPH in Health Policy and Management (HPM) at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, the same same as an MHA? like does Columbia have this version of healthcare management? or is it a different degree?

I'm a current MHA student at UNC. I know a little about Columbia's program as well, but certainly not to the extent that I know UNC's. With UNC you can certainly do either fellowship or consulting, every year we have students that end up doing both. From what I've heard Columbia has strong relationships with some of the consulting firms, I wouldn't be able to speak to Columbia's connections for fellowships but I would guess that some do. Feel free to message me with any specific questions about UNC.
Hey! I have an interview with UNC on Friday for their MHA program! Would you be willing to give me any advice on how to prepare? Super nervous it’s the only school I applied to I went to UNC for undergrad it’s the only place I want to be at

I recently got accepted into the MHA program at Columbia and UNC chapel Hill, and MHSA program at Michigan. I want a job in healthcare consulting. Can anyone give some insight in which would be a better choice?
Can you tell me how the interview at UNC went? I have mine on Friday!

I wouldn't worry at all about your AWA score. I'm a current student at Chapel Hill and I know plenty of people in our program and some of the others you are applying to that had much lower GRE scores. Let me know if you have any questions about UNC. Happy to help.
I might have already asked you but I have an interview with UNC on Friday, do you have any tips you could give me?

Any international students that had difficulty entering the United States because of their program being online?

Personally, I don't think BU is that great a program. They accepted me without an interview (two years ago) which gives off the persona that they see me as a number and not an individual. Obviously it is my opinion but I thought I'd at least mention that. The big question you have to ask yourself is, what are you looking for in a program? What is your end goal? And which program do you believe fits your personality, skillsets, ambitions, and future career path?

If you like, we can schedule a call and walk through the pros and cons of each school, I've done it with many individuals in this thread and would be willing to assist you in this as well.
I know this is an old thread. I've been doing some research as I'm planning to apply to a few MHA programs in September. When that times comes, may I schedule a phone call with you to discuss the pros and cons of the schools I'm applying to?

I have a question: is an MPH in Health Policy and Management (HPM) at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, the same same as an MHA? like does Columbia have this version of healthcare management? or is it a different degree?
The MPH in Health Policy and Management (HPM) and the MHA are two different degrees. They just belong to the same department (HPM). I will say that there is some major overlap in the type of internships and jobs that individuals in both of these degree programs apply to, in particular, positions in hospital administration and healthcare consulting.

Hello everyone!
I’m a bit lost on which graduate school program I should choose. My top choices right now are University of Alabama at Birmingham, University of Minnesota, and University of Michigan. I’m also considering doing a dual degree with an MBA but not sure if it’s necessary given I want to go into an Administrative Fellowship or Consulting after.
If anyone could shed some light on what makes each program unique or if they are a current student there and what they like about the program that would be amazing!