2020 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone!
Here are my stats. I love seeing the diversity of backgrounds here.

School: Small Private
GPA: 3.8 Psychology 3.8 Sociology 3.6 Cumulative
GRE: Quant (154) Verbal (154) Writing (4.0)
Major: Psychology and Sociology
Minors: Nonprofit Management/ Research Methods and Quantitative Math
Certificate: Conflict Management via Law School
Experience (professional or otherwise) 2-year Intern at County Department of Public Health, 4 years in Neurotrauma Research Lab
Special Factors: Division 1 Athlete, first-generation, various club involvement and lots of community service

Applied: JHU, Columbia, USC, UCLA
Interview: JHU, Columbia (with 2nd-year student)
Waiting on: Columbia, USC, UCLA
Accepted: JHU
Attending: TBD

Congrats to those that have been accepted !!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I have mine tomorrow and was wondering if you would be willing to share any advice?

Hey! I'm sorry I am seeing this late I had to fly out for the OSU interview. If its still applicable I'd echo what was said before in terms of behavioral questions be prepared to address things like "what would you do in this situation", "what do you think we are looking for in an applicant", "how do you keep up to date with healthcare", etc. It is a very fast paced interview because they stick firmly to the 30min. My other advice would be to relax and make sure you answer all parts of the question.

Hey! I'm sorry I am seeing this late I had to fly out for the OSU interview. If its still applicable I'd echo what was said before in terms of behavioral questions be prepared to address things like "what would you do in this situation", "what do you think we are looking for in an applicant", "how do you keep up to date with healthcare", etc. It is a very fast paced interview because they stick firmly to the 30min. My other advice would be to relax and make sure you answer all parts of the question.
I hope your OSU interview went well!! Mine actually got moved so thank you so much for sharing your advice! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone was interviewed for mhsa for U of Michigan, how long after the interview did you get your decisions? I just interviewed today and was matched with a current student for further questions. However, the student mentioned the matching isnt an admissions offer.

If anyone was interviewed for mhsa for U of Michigan, how long after the interview did you get your decisions? I just interviewed today and was matched with a current student for further questions. However, the student mentioned the matching isnt an admissions offer.
I only had one interview with the faculty member and it took them 2 weeks to send me my official offer letter.

I only had one interview with the faculty member and it took them 2 weeks to send me my official offer letter.
how did you think yours went? I was a little nervous but overall it was okay( not great). was there anything that you think helped you? I hope I get it! its my top choice.

Has anyone heard anything back from Columbia or USC this week? I had my Columbia interview in mid-Jan, I've been refreshing my email like crazy waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything back from Columbia or USC this week? I had to Columbia interview in mid-Jan, I've been refreshing my email like crazy waiting to hear back.
I havent heard back from either and I applied to USC for the priority deadline and interviewed with Columbia in Jan.

Deciding between Columbia and GWU! Does anyone have any insight into these programs? I’m weighing pros and cons of each and I want to see if there is anything I haven’t considered :)

how did you think yours went? I was a little nervous but overall it was okay( not great). was there anything that you think helped you? I hope I get it! its my top choice.
Hey, mine was a phone interview, and not too long about 20 mins. After the interview even I wasn't sure of the outcome. Don't worry about being nervous I think they expect that. I had prepared for the basic questions and she asked me about those mostly. I don't think you need to worry about it. I hope you get to your acceptance! All the best

I interviewed with Columbia in early January. Does the delay in their response indicate a higher chances of rejection?

I interviewed with Columbia in early January. Does the delay in their response indicate a higher chances of rejection?

Unfortunately no one here will be able to accurately answer that for you. I wish I knew how the admissions committee thought. The best thing I learned was don't pay attention to how long it takes for them to reply to you. If you are still waiting, it means they haven't declined your application. If they didn't want to consider your application, you'd get the declined letter as soon as they made the decision. Otherwise, I chalk it up to many different factors. Sometimes, universities (the admissions committe) meet once every month to discuss applications, other times it's rolling basis. Bottom line is many different factors are at play and the worst thing that you can do is let doubt creep in on things we have little knowledge of.

Reactions: 1 users
School: in Non-English-speaking country
GPA: 3.76 WES
GRE: 170Q+157V+3.5
Major: Economics & Investment
Experience: Big 4 Assurance intern(not related); Insure-Tech startup intern; SFE intern
Special Factors: Business student eager to devote in healthcare industry

Applied: Columbia, JHU, NYU, UMN, BU, CWRU
Interview: JHU,BU,CWRU all Kira; Columbia(1/8)
Waitlist: BU(Business analysis)
Rejected: /
Accepted: JHU, NYU, UMN, CWRU

Stilll waiting 4 Columbia

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
just got into Columbia for MHA!!!!! omg, cant believe it. good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Some of the programs I've been accepted to have said that if the cohort fills up before I commit, I'll have to be added to the waitlist or defer a year. I'm a little stressed out because I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, and don't want to make a decision until I know all of my options. Do cohorts tend to fill up around this time? Any advice/insight is much appreciated!

Some of the programs I've been accepted to have said that if the cohort fills up before I commit, I'll have to be added to the waitlist or defer a year. I'm a little stressed out because I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, and don't want to make a decision until I know all of my options. Do cohorts tend to fill up around this time? Any advice/insight is much appreciated!

Same here - I’d like to know the answer to this as well. I was under the impression that our “seat” was safe until the April 15th deadline, after which our seat would be open to other students on the waitlist hoping to get in.

I also thought schools weren’t allowed to pressure us into committing earlier than the April 15th deadline. Even though they haven’t explicitly stated that our seat may be gone by that date, the way they’ve worded it sort of implies that it could/will be gone.

Can someone please confirm or deny the above?? Thanks!

Same here - I’d like to know the answer to this as well. I was under the impression that our “seat” was safe until the April 15th deadline, after which our seat would be open to other students on the waitlist hoping to get in.

I also thought schools weren’t allowed to pressure us into committing earlier than the April 15th deadline. Even though they haven’t explicitly stated that our seat may be gone by that date, the way they’ve worded it sort of implies that it could/will be gone.

Can someone please confirm or deny the above?? Thanks!

If you are comfortable saying this, would you mind specifying which school said this?

If you are comfortable saying this, would you mind specifying which school said this?

It was JHU.

I actually asked them and they were able to clarify that our seats are in-fact safe until the Apr. 15th deadline, so you can take your time and don’t have to feel rushed into making a decision.

If you don’t commit to a program by Apr. 15th, the seats are then available to students on the waiting list, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Emory for MPH in HPM? Im applying late but wanted some input as to the strength of the program and how well it would fair if I wanted to do healthcare admin or consulting after. Thanks in advanced!

Hi! Sorry for the late response. Rush was actually my last interview so I didn't receive notification of admission until much later. They gave me until February 26th to confirm my acceptance!

Also, in regards to the JHU email, I also got an email from the University of Minnesota about the cohort filling up.

Is anyone closer to making a decision? I'm currently in between UMN, Rush and Cornell.
Hi there, I'm surprised Rush has such an earlier deadline. I know most of the schools abide by an agreement to make April 15th a universal decision deadline, as other have referenced above. Maybe since Rush HSM is not located in a traditional school of public health (right?) they haven't needed to sign on to the agreement?

I too have received communications that have seemed a little too much like "Don't delay, act now!" despite the April 15th deadline. Like, I get that the school needs to get organized for next semester, but we have our education, career goals, and tens of thousands of dollars on the line. I honestly think it's kind of a respect thing for schools to not cause undue pressure and provide us w/ the space we need to make decisions. I also have a hard time believing that schools will rescind their offers of admission if you let them know on April 17th or even the 25th, though I'm sure as heck not willing to test that theory!

**steps off of soapbox**

School: University of Illinois at Chicago
GPA: 3.55
Major: Neuroscience
GRE: 298 W: 4

Experience:
2.5 yeas of clinical research at public hospital
Public health research at Rush
Developed non-profit

Special factors: low-income, first generation, under-rep.

Applied: GWU, RUSH, UMinn, OSU
Accepted: GWU, RUSH, UMinn, OSU
Attending: TBD

Hi! Sorry for the late response. Rush was actually my last interview so I didn't receive notification of admission until much later. They gave me until February 26th to confirm my acceptance!

Also, in regards to the JHU email, I also got an email from the University of Minnesota about the cohort filling up.

Is anyone closer to making a decision? I'm currently in between UMN, Rush and Cornell.
I’m between UMN and OSU.

I'm leaning really strongly towards Minnesota; I got good financial aid there and absolutely loved the program on interview day! Ohio State doesn't give out financial aid offers until mid-March, so that will probably be my deciding factor.
I am struggling between the two as well! But I am leaning towards UMN

I recently got into U Michigan 's MHSA program and was accepted in Columbia's MHA program. I was wondering peoples takes on them. I am torn! I want to have a job in either health admin or healthcare consulting after graduation, but I would like to come back to CA after graduation also. Any input would help. Thanks y'all.

I recently got into U Michigan 's MHSA program and was accepted in Columbia's MHA program. I was wondering peoples takes on them. I am torn! I want to have a job in either health admin or healthcare consulting after graduation, but I would like to come back to CA after graduation also. Any input would help. Thanks y'all.
My former coworker did the Michigan MHA program and is from CA, she interned at Kaiser and now works in the Bay Area. I think Michigan has good connection and name recognitions over here.

My former coworker did the Michigan MHA program and is from CA, she interned at Kaiser and now works in the Bay Area. I think Michigan has good connection and name recognitions over here.
Thats great! I was worried about name recognition on the West Coast and thought that Columbia would have more weight. However, Michigan is ranked higher.

Thats great! I was worried about name recognition on the West Coast and thought that Columbia would have more weight. However, Michigan is ranked higher.
Ya I was worried about that too, but I think Michigan has a pretty good reputation anywhere. Although, all my friends/coworkers that went through MHAs have said that name only matters the first few years after that it's all about your experience!

Ya I was worried about that too, but I think Michigan has a pretty good reputation anywhere. Although, all my friends/coworkers that went through MHAs have said that name only matters the first few years after that it's all about your experience!

michigan specifically told me that their alumni networks are strongest in chicago, bay area, and D.C. Hope that helps! i also wanted to go there, but out of state $$ is a killer and they dont give you money!

As much as I don't like Michigan (I'm from OSU haha), their program is solid and you shouldn't have difficulty geographically.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Emory for MPH in HPM? Im applying late but wanted some input as to the strength of the program and how well it would fair if I wanted to do healthcare admin or consulting after. Thanks in advanced!
One factor to consider is that where Emory's MPH is not CAHME accredited, it will limit your ability to go after fellowships after the fact. I have a friend at Emory in the MPH program and she was unable to apply for the administrative fellowship at Emory's hospital

I recently got accepted into the MHA program at Columbia and UNC chapel Hill, and MHSA program at Michigan. I want a job in healthcare consulting. Can anyone give some insight in which would be a better choice?

I recently got accepted into the MHA program at Columbia and UNC chapel Hill, and MHSA program at Michigan. I want a job in healthcare consulting. Can anyone give some insight in which would be a better choice?
How long from your interview at UNC did it take to hear back?

Had my Hopkins interview this morning and I was told I should be receiving an offer email within the week (of course I don't want to assume anything until I have the email so I'm saying this tentatively!) I was really impressed with the person I talked to, and am very impressed by the 2nd year residency program as well. It's a bit of a game changer for me as I didn't realize it was a 75% tuition scholarship on top of the "salary" you get during your residency. This decision has just become much harder for me! I'm still waiting on Columbia, USC and also for the UW interview day at this point to make my decision.

@InquiringStudent I may be messaging you soon to get some information about the program as I get closer to making my decision!

Edit: I've been formally accepted to Hopkins!

Last edited:

I don't know anything about UNC chapel so I'd do research on that but Columbia and Michigan both have great opportunities to do consulting.

Had my Hopkins interview this morning and I was told I should be receiving an offer email within the week (of course I don't want to assume anything until I have the email so I'm saying this tentatively!) I was really impressed with the person I talked to, and am very impressed by the 2nd year residency program as well. It's a bit of a game changer for me as I didn't realize it was a 75% tuition scholarship on top of the "salary" you get during your residency. This decision has just become much harder for me! I'm still waiting on Columbia, USC and also for the UW interview day at this point to make my decision.

@InquiringStudent I may be messaging you soon to get some information about the program as I get closer to making my decision!

Feel free to reach out.

One factor to consider is that where Emory's MPH is not CAHME accredited, it will limit your ability to go after fellowships after the fact. I have a friend at Emory in the MPH program and she was unable to apply for the administrative fellowship at Emory's hospital
Do you know what year your friend applied for the administrative fellowship at Emory? Because I know someone who did MPH at Emory and got the fellowship program, so I just wanted to check! I thought Emory's administrative fellowships allowed grad students from business, MPH, or MHA. Any information you have would be great, because I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to go to Emory!

Thanks in advance!

I've been accepted to Columbia as well! Yikes, I didn't expect making a decision to be so hard! Still waiting for UW interview day and USC (but I think it's no longer a contender for me). What are the top 3 criteria you guys are making your decision on?

Applied: JHU, GWU, Columbia, University of Washington, USC (California), BUSPH w/ HCM (Dec) all others around Jan 10-15
Interview: UW
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: GWU + waiting on scholarship details, BUSPH + 25% Scholarship, Hopkins, Columbia
Attending:

Hey yall. So I need some input and would appreciate it. I was accepted to GWU MHA (+22k), Michigan MHSA (no aid as of now), Columbia MHA(no aid yet as of now), BU MPH-HPM (+35% tuition), USC MHA(no aid as of yet). My main concern is cost of these programs. Essentially all will be around the same cost -- 90k- 100k in loans (I am LA based so for all out of state programs I am factoring in moving and cost of living). Part of me wants to accept the idea that I will have this much debt and the other wants to run away lol. What are your thoughts on racking up this much debt with any of these programs?

Hey yall. So I need some input and would appreciate it. I was accepted to GWU MHA (+22k), Michigan MHSA (no aid as of now), Columbia MHA(no aid yet as of now), BU MPH-HPM (+35% tuition), USC MHA(no aid as of yet). My main concern is cost of these programs. Essentially all will be around the same cost -- 90k- 100k in loans (I am LA based so for all out of state programs I am factoring in moving and cost of living). Part of me wants to accept the idea that I will have this much debt and the other wants to run away lol. What are your thoughts on racking up this much debt with any of these programs?
Im Canadian and the US, no matter what state, private or public university, is expensive to me lol (especially when I convert USD to CAD which gets me stressed). I look at this cost/debt thing as a return of investment. What do I get in return that I really value that makes it worth it. Experience, networking, opportunities, etc. A Solid foundation, where I can grow my career in public health and get to where I’m satisfied. The scholarship opportunities are nice, and minimizes that cost burden too.

Personally, I don't think BU is that great a program. They accepted me without an interview (two years ago) which gives off the persona that they see me as a number and not an individual. Obviously it is my opinion but I thought I'd at least mention that. The big question you have to ask yourself is, what are you looking for in a program? What is your end goal? And which program do you believe fits your personality, skillsets, ambitions, and future career path?

If you like, we can schedule a call and walk through the pros and cons of each school, I've done it with many individuals in this thread and would be willing to assist you in this as well.

How long after receiving the acceptance does Columbia let students know about financial aid/scholarships?

Got into USC!