2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else still waiting for a secondary? I submitted my primary June 15th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been marked complete? I submitted the secondary a month ago and have everything checked off in the portal but haven't heard anything yet. Just trying to see if I'm alone lol

Has anyone been marked complete? I submitted the secondary a month ago and have everything checked off in the portal but haven't heard anything yet. Just trying to see if I'm alone lol

Everything is checked for me but no complete update or email.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked again at my app and yeah I am at the same stage. Have not heard anything back yet but I've got all checkmarks.

And my first meaningful response of the cycle comes from Pomona..... Application on Hold because I have an unsigned letter of rec. Lovely.

I just looked again at my app and yeah I am at the same stage. Have not heard anything back yet but I've got all checkmarks.
Hey I was able to talk to admissions and they stated that they don't look at apps until august! Just to ease some nerves

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, in answering their secondary question, "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP?" I tried to look up specific programs and unique aspects on their website but struggled to find details. I was wondering if anyone here could provide me with some insight:

- does COMP have any unique aspects to its curriculum (e.g. early clinical exposure)?
- are their service orgs/service learning opportunities?
- is there anything else unique to Western U?

I'm highly interested in Western U as I'm a CA resident. Thanks
As someone who was accepted to both Western campuses last cycle, I definitely could tell you what I wrote but then your response wouldn’t be genuine and that would be a huge disservice to you. I can give you some guiding questions. Why do you want to go to Western? Is it because of the school’s mission to serve people in the western regions of the US aka California? Or perhaps it’s their emphasis on board exams? Have you heard good things about them in your work/shadowing? Do they have any research projects that interest you? What about student satisfaction and wellness. OMM?

Hope this helps

One of Western's questions on the AMCAS primary is asking if we have shadowed an osteopathic physician. I haven't specifically sought DO shadowing but have worked with plenty in the ED as a scribe. Would putting 0 hours affect my app? I don't want to double dip the hours... and haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from Western.

Last edited:
Just submitted my secondary! it took a little over 3 weeks but hoping for some good news..

One of Western's questions on the AMCAS primary is asking if we have shadowed an osteopathic physician. I have specifically sought DO shadowing but have worked with plenty in the ED as a scribe. Would putting 0 hours affect my app? I don't want to double dip the hours... and haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from Western.

I had to put 0 for mine. Two western adcoms have told me that my scribing does not count as shadowing.

I had to put 0 for mine. Two western adcoms have told me that my scribing does not count as shadowing.

Thank you for your reply! Their admissions counselor emailed me back and said the same thing :(

Thank you for your reply! Their admissions counselor emailed me back and said the same thing :(
Is this a huge issue for them? I also scribe in the ED and have observed DOs while scribing..... but havent specifically shadowed a DO...does this hurt our chances when we put zero? Emailed them and no response...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not notice the 10 day suggestion until now. I was preparing to submit today, but it's almost 1 month after I received my secondary.. Is it even worth it to submit this secondary?

I did not notice the 10 day suggestion until now. I was preparing to submit today, but it's almost 1 month after I received my secondary.. Is it even worth it to submit this secondary?
I think I saw in last year's thread that some folks were still accepted even though they submitted after the 10 days. I don't know how much time passed before they submitted, however. IMO, if it's not an absolute requirement, you should still submit.

I think I saw in last year's thread that some folks were still accepted even though they submitted after the 10 days. I don't know how much time passed before they submitted, however. IMO, if it's not an absolute requirement, you should still submit.
What they said^

Where does it say 10 days?

I didn't receive an email of confirmation of my application and it's been a few weeks since I've submitted my secondary. I just took my MCAT this past Saturday, and was wondering if that had anything to do with it? Has anyone received an email of completion or even a "secondary received but need your MCAT"?

I didn't receive an email of confirmation of my application and it's been a few weeks since I've submitted my secondary. I just took my MCAT this past Saturday, and was wondering if that had anything to do with it? Has anyone received an email of completion or even a "secondary received but need your MCAT"?

I think they're about to start reviewing applications now that it is August. My checklist has been complete since 7/21 but I haven't received an actual complete email from them.

I think they're about to start reviewing applications now that it is August. My checklist has been complete since 7/21 but I haven't received an actual complete email from them.
awesome thanks! LOVE your pfp and title

I sent an email about it and they said all my materials were received and app was sent to admissions. I'd say if your portal has all check marks then you should be good to go!

I sent an email about it and they said all my materials were received and app was sent to admissions. I'd say if your portal has all check marks then you should be good to go!

Ooo awesome thank you ! you're the best!

is the consensus that there is no "complete" email?

..all my boxes are checked but I wanted to make sure i didn't royally screw something up and that they actually haven't sent them out

is the consensus that there is no "complete" email?

..all my boxes are checked but I wanted to make sure i didn't royally screw something up and that they actually haven't sent them out
Not sure if I would call it a consensus but that was the case for me! You're probably in the same boat but I'd email if you are still uneasy about it (they're a bit slow to respond tho)

Not sure if I would call it a consensus but that was the case for me! You're probably in the same boat but I'd email if you are still uneasy about it (they're a bit slow to respond tho)
I mean as long as I'm not the only one right? lol but yeah I may email them later, but I was going to wait until they start actually reviewing apps because I'm thinking that they might just be waiting until then to send out an email. :unsure:

I mean as long as I'm not the only one right? lol but yeah I may email them later, but I was going to wait until they start actually reviewing apps because I'm thinking that they might just be waiting until then to send out an email. :unsure:
Haha true true, yeah I was in the same boat as you and they told me that all my stuff was in and sent to adcoms. I wouldn't fret too much!

Can someone post the question about research from the secondary? Pre writing currently and I don't see that question anywhere.... Thanks in advance!

Can someone post the question about research from the secondary? Pre writing currently and I don't see that question anywhere.... Thanks in advance!

Have you participated in Research?

Why was this research experience valuable to you?

Does anyone know if western U (Pomona) requires CASPer? I'm confused because it's on the secondary directions but I only see northwest listed on the school distribution list on CASPer website...

Does anyone know if western U (Pomona) requires CASPer? I'm confused because it's on the secondary directions but I only see northwest listed on the school distribution list on CASPer website...
My understanding is that if you submit CASPer to Northwest that both get it?? Please correct me if anyone knows otherwise.

500 words? Thank you for responding! And I see on here that we can only do 1 research experience?

Can anyone confirm this? Are y'all just listing your most significant research or lumping all experiences into one?

Can anyone confirm this? Are y'all just listing your most significant research or lumping all experiences into one?
It didn't provide me with any indication of a word or character limit, but mine was 478 words. I just chose one research experience that was most meaningful/significant to me.

if our research is still ongoing, are you all putting August 2021 as the end date? For the secondary research question

Anyone know when we should expect to hear about interviews?

Really hoping to get into Western!
513, 3.6 IS ORM
noticed on one of the secondary essays I made a slight error in grammar so hopefully that one mistake doesn’t affect my chances...):

Submitted 8/9, almost 3 weeks after I received it so hopefully that’s not a death blow for me

Has anyone else had the issue that after submitting western, if you click on "preview application" you can't see the research files you attached? I swear I attached files but there's no evidence of them in my "submitted" PDF. Sorry if this is confusing!

Hey everyone. I just finished writing my secondaries and was wondering if someone here could possibly look over them and give me some feedback? If you're applying this cycle I'd be happy to read yours over and give feedback if you would like as well. Thanks.

"While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" I shadowed 2 MD physicians (couldn't find a DO) but I worked as a scribe with many DO doctors. Should I answer this question based on my shadowing experience or scribe experience? I know it says shadowing but I only shadowed like 45 hours and most of the was surgery so it's kinda hard to talk about why DO

"While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" I shadowed 2 MD physicians (couldn't find a DO) but I worked as a scribe with many DO doctors. Should I answer this question based on my shadowing experience or scribe experience? I know it says shadowing but I only shadowed like 45 hours and most of the was surgery so it's kinda hard to talk about why DO
If it were me, I would talk about being a scribe for DOs, and osteopathic medicine. Being a scribe is virtually the same as shadowing. Whether you want to explicitly state that you were a scribe or not in the essay is up to you. Granted, i'm just another applicant, not anyone with authority haha.

I'm just another applicant so obviously take my advice with a grain of salt. I think it's been discussed that Western doesn't take scribing as shadowing (I'm on mobile and it's a hassle to go back and check so maybe just double check me on that), but I personally don't understand that. If I were you, I think I would approach it by explaining the things I liked about the experiences shadowing an MD, and maybe even try to squeeze in a few DO-heavy qualities (holistic, treating pt not disease, but maybe not in so many words) and then transition into your experiences working with your DOs, and maybe compare the two styles that you saw and why working with the DO was so much more meaningful than working with the MDs.