2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jumping in here with 5 IIs -> 4 WLs (2 turned Rs) + 1 silence

It’s been rough to say the least. Finally got myself to start editing my PS today tho. The current goal is to check off 1 task from my re-application to-do list everyday. If you’re stuck in a rut, I recommend trying this.
Meanwhile... *dopamine hits from leveling quests in WoW Classic*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
4 II's (3 MD 1 DO), No A's. Interviewed with a school in August and feel pretty awful about not getting in... it makes me think that I really screwed up the interview. Hoping for another chance with reapp.

517 MCAT 3.2 ug 3.9 masters

I'd love to chat with anyone who is in the same boat. It's an immensely humbling process, and I have been really trying to work through the disappointment and feelings of inadequacy. May was a tough month, but it isnt about how many times you get knocked down. Upwards and onwards.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Is it common for schools to have lots of movement after their CTE date? One of the schools I was WL at had their CTE in early May, but according to SDN, has been still accepting students off the waitlist gradually since then. Just curious about this since I thought most schools would have majority of their class locked in by their CTE deadline

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it common for schools to have lots of movement after their CTE date? One of the schools I was WL at had their CTE in early May, but according to SDN, has been still accepting students off the waitlist gradually since then. Just curious about this since I thought most schools would have majority of their class locked in by their CTE deadline
It would be hard to understand how there could be much WL movement more than a month after CTE.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
i received news via sdn that the school where i'm waitlisted is completely full and everyone has committed (CTE date was yesterday) and that they don't anticipate anymore movement but the waitlist will remain open until classes start. coming on here to say thank you to everyone who answered my questions and supported me along the way. sending everyone love!! hoping anyone still waiting to hear back hears back soon and with good news!!

reapp here we gooooo (many tears anticipated)

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
Three cycles in and I'm tired.

In my first cycle, I came out with zero interviews. I didn't let the lack of success stop me during that cycle. I published. I took on a leadership position as a scribe and doubled my hours in clinical involvement. I improved my essays.

Things came to fruition in my second cycle as I received my first interviews, showing me that I had finally done something right for myself. After all those interviews, I was left with one waitlist and a non-decision from another school. Yes, after flying halfway across the country, spending my limited income on lodging, having the school pretty much forget I existed during the interview (my interviewer didn't know how long the interview was supposed to be and the admissions staff didn't notice one of their seven interviewees conspicuously missing throughout the entire lunch period), and being told by the admissions staff on the phone that "a decision would be posted on the portal" or that I "MIGHT be on the waitlist" in July, the verdict was only made clear once the school decided to post a picture of their M1 class on Twitter. To add to the sheer ridicule of the situation, I logged in to the secondary portal recently; it still says the exact same thing, that I'm under consideration.

The month afterwards was one of the most crushing periods of my life. Sleep was difficult. Eating was difficult. And somewhere in the depths of all that, I found the strength to claw myself out of that pit. I left scribing, knowing that there was little room to grow in that position after two years, and I sought after an AmeriCorps position. In a stroke of cruel irony, after being unable to find success in my previous interviews, I made it past two rounds of applications and three consecutive interviews to earn myself the opportunity to dedicate my year towards providing for the city's most vulnerable communities.

The work was hard, in both an emotional and physical sense, but it was rewarding. I commuted 1.5 hours each way on public transportation to make it work. Almost every day was a 6-6 commitment, and afterwards I came home to study for my upcoming MCAT since my >95th percentile score would be invalid at many schools for the upcoming cycle. In spite of everything, I managed to crush that exam again, after confronting my shattered psyche, after enduring consecutive 12 hour days followed by a night class, after enduring sexual harassment throughout the year in my workplace.

Here we are today at the end of my third cycle. I'm on one waitlist, and the odds are certainly not in my favor. I even applied to the school's linkage program which only accepts students on a waitlist, and I was waitlisted to that program too. A waitlist to the waitlist club. At this point, I'm on the cusp of giving all of this up, taking it as a sign that medicine is a field unfit for someone like me who has had to wrestle their social anxiety into submission, someone who can't put together a presentable enough self for 30 minutes to make it in even after investing thousands of hours into clinical involvement and service.

I'm not really looking for advice. I've heard a lot of it from well-meaning people who cannot truly understand this nightmare I have lived.

I'm tired.

I'm tired.

I'm tired.

• Care
Reactions: 62 users
Three cycles in and I'm tired. In my first cycle, I came out with zero interviews. I didn't let the lack of success stop me during that cycle. I published. I took on a leadership position as a scribe and doubled my hours in clinical involvement. I improved my essays. Things came to fruition in my second cycle as I received my first interviews, showing me that I had finally done something right for myself. The verdict was only made clear once the school decided to post a picture of their M1 class on Twitter. I left scribing, knowing that there was little room to grow in that position after two years, and I sought after an AmeriCorps position. The work was hard, in both an emotional and physical sense, but it was rewarding. I commuted 1.5 hours each way on public transportation to make it work. Here we are today at the end of my third cycle. I'm on one waitlist, and the odds are certainly not in my favor. I even applied to the school's linkage program which only accepts students on a waitlist, and I was waitlisted to that program too. A waitlist to the waitlist club. I'm not really looking for advice. I've heard a lot of it from well-meaning people who cannot truly understand this nightmare I have lived. I'm tired. #Readover
Looking at your prior posts, it seems that your GPA (~3.5) may have held you back at MD schools. Did you apply to DO schools this cycle? When did you apply (early, 'on-time', or late)? If you applied broadly (including DO schools) and early, it would be strange that you received only one II. If you plan on applying again, I'm happy to read over your personal statement to see if there are any red flags in your writing. Best of luck.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Hey all, does anyone have any thoughts on William Carey, (I'm iffy on the school placed on the waitlist but am pretty high and certain I will be pulled) I am on three other waitlists as well, but I am considering withdrawing my app even if it would be my only acceptance this cycle.
It's a good school.

Hi all — I’m new to SDN. I’m a non trad career switching applicant (prof in social sciences) and only applied to one school this cycle (personal and professional reasons need to stay in state) and was fortunate to make it to their ranked alternate list. My spot is #20. The school’s CTE isn’t until July 2nd. Any thoughts on chances of getting off the ranked alternate list? Ways to improve chances of getting off the ranked alternate list? Many thanks in advance!

Hi all — I’m new to SDN. I’m a non trad career switching applicant (prof in social sciences) and only applied to one school this cycle (personal and professional reasons need to stay in state) and was fortunate to make it to their ranked alternate list. My spot is #20. The school’s CTE isn’t until July 2nd. Any thoughts on chances of getting off the ranked alternate list? Ways to improve chances of getting off the ranked alternate list? Many thanks in advance!
Actually, no. Ranked lists MUST be called in strict order. All you can do is wait and see if they get to you. Do you happen to know how many people they have called so far, and if #20 is your current rank? If so, while anything is possible, it's hard to believe they will lose 20 people in the next 2 weeks, or between now and when classes begin. OTOH, if #20 was your place on 5/1, you could be the next one up if they have already called 19 people!

You must be pretty good to have gone 1-for-1 in receiving an II, and then being ranked so relatively high on the WL. Given how competitive the process is, you are really putting yourself at a huge disadvantage by being limited to applying to one school. Any chance that will change in the future?

If so, that will significantly increase your odds of success. If not, my only advice would be, if things don't work out, to see if the school would be willing to give you constructive feedback on ways to improve for a future cycle, since you are so close to success. The trick here is that most schools won't even consider this while an application is active, so such a request would have to be timed between a rejection and a reapplication, which might be tough if they leave you hanging until the very end and you are not planning on skipping a cycle. Good luck!!!

Actually, no. Ranked lists MUST be called in strict order. All you can do is wait and see if they get to you. Do you happen to know how many people they have called so far, and if #20 is your current rank? If so, while anything is possible, it's hard to believe they will lose 20 people in the next 2 weeks, or between now and when classes begin. OTOH, if #20 was your place on 5/1, you could be the next one up if they have already called 19 people!

You must be pretty good to have gone 1-for-1 in receiving an II, and then being ranked so relatively high on the WL. Given how competitive the process is, you are really putting yourself at a huge disadvantage by being limited to applying to one school. Any chance that will change in the future?

If so, that will significantly increase your odds of success. If not, my only advice would be, if things don't work out, to see if the school would be willing to give you constructive feedback on ways to improve for a future cycle, since you are so close to success. The trick here is that most schools won't even consider this while an application is active, so such a request would have to be timed between a rejection and a reapplication, which might be tough if they leave you hanging until the very end and you are not planning on skipping a cycle. Good luck!!!
Thank you!! This is very helpful. I am waiting a cycle in between to re-apply, if needed. And will consider applying more broadly (have family circumstances keeping me in state atm.).

• Care
Happy Father’s Day to those with children, and good luck this week to all! Hoping reapps are going well for those taking another crack at this ****show.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Hey ya'll! I hope every's day is going great! I just need some quick advice. For my experience section in my reapp, I rewrote most of them and kind of kept the same theme of "story telling." So not just listing what I did, but showing instead. Now that I've finished, I've let a few folks read it, but I feel like the opinions are kind of all over the place. Some of telling me to keep it how it is because they liked how personal it was and how I talked about the impact of the experience. Others are saying that I need to list what I did for experiences (resume style) and make it less personal because admissions won't care about that what the experience did for you/what you did for the experience (I really feel like this isn't true).
Could anyone speak on what admissions prefers when reading applicants experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ya'll! I hope every's day is going great! I just need some quick advice. For my experience section in my reapp, I rewrote most of them and kind of kept the same theme of "story telling." So not just listing what I did, but showing instead. Now that I've finished, I've let a few folks read it, but I feel like the opinions are kind of all over the place. Some of telling me to keep it how it is because they liked how personal it was and how I talked about the impact of the experience. Others are saying that I need to list what I did for experiences (resume style) and make it less personal because admissions won't care about that what the experience did for you/what you did for the experience (I really feel like this isn't true).
Could anyone speak on what admissions prefers when reading applicants experiences?
I'm not an adcom, but what you are doing sounds to me like you are the right track. Just what are the qualifications of those who are criticizing?

More importantly, you'd get a lot more exposure and a lot more feedback if you started your own thread! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally felt like the W&A section should be resume style. You can use the Meaningful Experience section to tell your stories. But I think I preferred this style because I didn’t have stories for all my activities that would “show” all my responsibilities and duties in a coherent and organized fashion within the character limit.

I personally felt like the W&A section should be resume style. You can use the Meaningful Experience section to tell your stories. But I think I preferred this style because I didn’t have stories for all my activities that would “show” all my responsibilities and duties in a coherent and organized fashion within the character limit.
Yeah I thought it should be more resume-like, especially for unusual or non-cookiecutter experiences. If you have the space, maybe dive into a little reflection.

Reactions: 1 users
would you guys say that it's safe to assume that if I (low stat ORM from a competitive state) received 3 MD IIs, then my biggest weakness would be my low stat, not my ECs? I am planning to retake my MCAT but I wasn't sure how much I would have to do for EC. For more info, I received 3 IIs from mission specific schools (service oriented) and none from my state schools

for more info: my gpa was around 3.55 with a very good upward trend and 510 as my MCAT

would you guys say that it's safe to assume that if I (low stat ORM from a competitive state) received 3 MD IIs, then my biggest weakness would be my low stat, not my ECs? I am planning to retake my MCAT but I wasn't sure how much I would have to do for EC. For more info, I received 3 IIs from mission specific schools (service oriented) and none from my state schools

for more info: my gpa was around 3.55 with a very good upward trend and 510 as my MCAT
3 MD IIs is 3 more than many people receive, so there really is no way to know for sure, other than to say that you should try to improve anything that you can improve. While 3.55 and 510 are slightly below the medians for successful ORM candidates, there is nothing inherently wrong with them, and you DID receive 3 IIs, so, you too could have been successful with them!

Does anyone know if this cycle was just brutally competitive? Especially stats-wise? I know it always is, but I'm wondering if the next cycle will be similar. @Julatteluver I'm in a similar situation. 3 MD IIs --> 3 WLs. Low GPA but a decent MCAT and good ECs. I plan to do a DIY post-bac and some more non-clinical volunteering in the upcoming year and shoot my shot with re-application this cycle. I'm hoping that if I send schools grade updates mid-cycle it will help assuage any fears of how I'll perform academically

Reactions: 6 users
3 MD IIs is 3 more than many people receive, so there really is no way to know for sure, other than to say that you should try to improve anything that you can improve. While 3.55 and 510 are slightly below the medians for successful ORM candidates, there is nothing inherently wrong with them, and you DID receive 3 IIs, so, you too could have been successful with them!
yep, i mean I had a lot of clinical hours, so I'd assume the only obvious factor that needs improvement would be my stats. I really wish I was successful with my 3 MD IIs but it is what it is i guess haha

Does anyone know if this cycle was just brutally competitive? Especially stats-wise? I know it always is, but I'm wondering if the next cycle will be similar. @Julatteluver I'm in a similar situation. 3 MD IIs --> 3 WLs. Low GPA but a decent MCAT and good ECs. I plan to do a DIY post-bac and some more non-clinical volunteering in the upcoming year and shoot my shot with re-application this cycle. I'm hoping that if I send schools grade updates mid-cycle it will help assuage any fears of how I'll perform academically
i mean we are probably biased since this is a WL thread, but I think cycles just get more and more competitive each year. Plus we had all the abnormalities, so I like to think that we had way more hoops and all that just to apply. I'm taking a year off but good luck with this cycle for you!

Why wouldn't it be?

We won't know until the cycle's data is added to MSAR (or similar reports), but it seems like the general sentiment is yes. I know at my school, there was an increase of almost 40% in application volume this cycle. Maybe the stats skewed low for most of the additional applicants, but it seems more reasonable to assume they were somewhat normally distributed. If they were, that's bound to drive stats (and everything else) up.

Typically the number of MD seats nationwide increases by 2.5% annually (source) and the number of MD applicants increases by less than 3% (source). This year the number of MD applicants increased by 17% (source). AACOMAS increased by even more (+19%). So more students applying per seat across the board. For that reason, this cycle absolutely was more competitive than anticipated. I think this trend will only continue to be frank. I am very interested to see the stats for this cycle, particularly the matriculation rate.

• Wow
Typically the number of MD seats nationwide increases by 2.5% annually (source) and the number of MD applicants increases by less than 3% (source). This year the number of MD applicants increased by 17% (source). AACOMAS increased by even more (+19%). So more students applying per seat across the board. For that reason, this cycle absolutely was more competitive than anticipated. I think this trend will only continue to be frank. I am very interested to see the stats for this cycle, particularly the matriculation rate.
Yeah. Medicine is just going to get more competitive each year, in my opinion, unless something radical happens to the system.

Normally, for schools to give someone an II, I think the schools liked @Julatteluver enough on paper (which is likely a mixture of stats, reference letters, ECs, personal statement, etc. I know each school is different, so I'm making some generalizations here for sake of simplicity). For mission-driven schools, perhaps they saw something in his/her/there application that aligned with their goals. So again, the applicant looks good on paper and warrants an interview.

Of the pool of interviewees, @LizzyM has a great staircase analogy, where applicants are "ranked" based on how high or low they are on the staircase. Depending on how you do at the interviews, you might move up, down, or stay at the same spot. The school then accepts the top Xth applicants on the staircase; with the rest either on WL or rejected. So, based on that, I would say the applicant should improve on their interviewing skills (i.e. how they answer questions, how they present themselves to the interviewers etc). Again, I'm not saying that the applicant performed poorly on interviews. But, traditionally red flags (i.e. low GPA, low MCAT, bad reference letters, subpar clinic hours, etc) would likely have eliminated the applicant BEFORE the interview stage. Hope that helps and that I didn't offend the applicant in any way. Just my .02. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Normally, for schools to give someone an II, I think the schools liked @Julatteluver enough on paper (which is likely a mixture of stats, reference letters, ECs, personal statement, etc. I know each school is different, so I'm making some generalizations here for sake of simplicity). For mission-driven schools, perhaps they saw something in his/her/there application that aligned with their goals. So again, the applicant looks good on paper and warrants an interview.

Of the pool of interviewees, @LizzyM has a great staircase analogy, where applicants are "ranked" based on how high or low they are on the staircase. Depending on how you do at the interviews, you might move up, down, or stay at the same spot. The school then accepts the top Xth applicants on the staircase; with the rest either on WL or rejected. So, based on that, I would say the applicant should improve on their interviewing skills (i.e. how they answer questions, how they present themselves to the interviewers etc). Again, I'm not saying that the applicant performed poorly on interviews. But, traditionally red flags (i.e. low GPA, low MCAT, bad reference letters, subpar clinic hours, etc) would likely have eliminated the applicant BEFORE the interview stage. Hope that helps and that I didn't offend the applicant in any way. Just my .02. Good luck!
No worries, i appreciate any advices or comments! I generally agree that my interview skills need somewhat improvement. But during my last interview, I received an explicit compliment from the interviewer and he even commented that the only concern that he had was ‘me choosing his school over others’. So I assume my interviewing skills are not THAT bad haha. This cycle was just tough for everyone but I will try to improve anything that I can so I am more prepped for my next cycle

Interesting.

For my WL school, I was told by adcoms that my really meh MCAT kicked me to the WL. They said my interview was not bad.

Damn. Maybe they were lying. I’m just so concerned because people are getting picked for the school…except me.

…and July looms near. Isn’t that when the schools in general, MD and DO, slow down and finalize the class?

Last edited:
I just got off a waitlist! First A from 5 interviews. I’m going to be an MD! 😭

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 65 users
I've lurked this thread for a while and was constantly encouraged by people getting off and echoing "it's not over till it's over." Started to really lose hope being this late into June with no updates..until today. 4 WL, first A this afternoon (MD).

It surely isn't over until it's over..

• Love
Reactions: 43 users
For you guys that just got the As congrats!! Did you do anthing recently that helped you get off? Still on 7 WLs and have heard nothing :(

• Wow
  • Care
For you guys that just got the As congrats!! Did you do anthing recently that helped you get off? Still on 7 WLs and have heard nothing :(
Yes, my school allowed additional LORs so I asked one of my letter writers to email their LOR to adcom last week.

I knew this was a strong letter, but I wasn’t able to submit it in my secondaries bc of the LOR limit. Good luck to you!

Frankly feeling dejected. The school I’m waitlisted at is actually moving, but they’re picking everybody but me.

Kinda feels like they don’t really want me in their class…

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Frankly feeling dejected. The school I’m waitlisted at is actually moving, but they’re picking everybody but me.

Kinda feels like they don’t really want me in their class…
There is nothing you can do about that now, other than focusing on making yourself a more attractive candidate, either to them or to someone else, in a future cycle. Being sad after working your a** off without success is very natural.

It STILL isn't over, as you can see, but rather than staying fixated on the rear view mirror, if it were me, by June I'd be planning on a reapplication (either now or in the future) and allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if something good happens from the current cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 9 users
There is nothing you can do about that now, other than focusing on making yourself a more attractive candidate, either to them or to someone else, in a future cycle. Being sad after working your a** off without success is very natural, but feeling sorry for yourself is not productive and will not help you achieve your goal.

It STILL isn't over, as you can see, but rather than staying fixated on the rear view mirror, if it were me, by June I'd be planning on a reapplication (either now or in the future) and allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if something good happens from the current cycle.
I luckily have another option to pursue, though it isn’t in medicine.

I’m just feeling down in the dumps. They pick folks and rank them - I’m pretty much in the proverbial void right now.

WL movement seems to be going pretty alright so far, but it can easily slow to a halt…and then that is it for me. Even then, they might not rank me in July, which means I’m doubly screwed.

I pray it doesn’t end in a face plant. I’m just tired overall.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
There is nothing you can do about that now, other than focusing on making yourself a more attractive candidate, either to them or to someone else, in a future cycle. Being sad after working your a** off without success is very natural.

Dude read the room

Reactions: 30 users
7 WLs and you haven't heard from any of them?! That's insane! I wish you luck, hopefully you'll get off of at least one. Did you reach out to any of the schools to inquire about your status on their lists?

I got 3 II’s this cycle which turned into 2Rs and 1 WL and yesterday I finally got the A!!! I am honestly so relieved and grateful especially because I had already submitted my app again and accepted that I had to reapply!! Hoping for the best for all of you still waiting ❤️ There’s still a chance!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 36 users
7 WLs and you haven't heard from any of them?! That's insane! I wish you luck, hopefully you'll get off of at least one. Did you reach out to any of the schools to inquire about your status on their lists?
Yep I have reached out to all of them and written numerous letters! Seems like waitlist movement is just really low this year at the schools :( its been rough but trying to remain optimistic for a few more weeks lol

• Care
Yep I have reached out to all of them and written numerous letters! Seems like waitlist movement is just really low this year at the schools :( its been rough but trying to remain optimistic for a few more weeks lol
They always say that every cycle though. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

They always say that every cycle though. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Pretty much. Med school admissions have always been crapshoot - this year not being an exception to the rule.

It will probably remain crapshoot until the system gets overhauled…whenever that will be (if ever).

Does anyone else wake up and check their email the first thing in the morning hoping for good news? I'm trying to convince myself to accept what's been done so far but I can't help but check

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone else wake up and check their email the first thing in the morning hoping for good news? I'm trying to convince myself to accept what's been done so far but I can't help but check
Yeah I still check SDN multiple times a day checking for any signs of movement. The purgatory of being on waitlists is real.

Yes, actually multiple times a day. Also restraining myself from walking to the school and begging them in person to take me. Desperation is real.

• Care
You’re on waitlist for only MD schools?
Two DO schools, though more like one because the other school isn’t moving.

I haven’t been picked up though - I’m getting beyond worried for my chances.

• Care