2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly it does seem like WL movement is grinding to a halt. Preparing to submit my primary this week.
i feel the same :( except i'm struggling to rewrite so I'll be submitting next week hopefully

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn knighdoc why apply to medical school when you're already a surgeon? Ripped that guys heart out like one 😭
Yeah, my bad. Sorry to disappoint, since I realize I am known for my extremely verbose posts.

I guess I was just a little cranky because this EXACT question was asked and answered on the previous page on this very thread. I realize utilizing the search feature is a skill that takes some a lifetime to master, but, I do remember being advised as part of the SDN welcome material to make liberal use of it. So every once in while, I lose patience when someone decides it's so much easier to post the same question over and over rather than spending a few minutes checking to see if maybe they aren't the first person ever to wonder about their topic, and then choose to just succinctly answer the question asked. :)

If by wave you mean a few schools having some movement, then sure. :)

It's worth keeping in mind that the PTE wave is caused by literally thousands of people giving up excess As all at the same time (within a few days of each other). Any so-called CTE wave, by contrast, is nothing more than a tiny trickle caused by a few outliers, spread across schools all over the country, holding more than one A and failing to select CTE when expected to do so.

At most schools, the CTE deadline will come and go with a very disappointing thud, with the final few PTEs converting to CTE when their WL dreams don't come true. It is, however, the final realistic trigger for movement this cycle. After that, it really is just people not showing up to orientation for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I guess I was just a little cranky because this EXACT question was asked and answered on the previous page on this very thread. :)
Welcome to the world of pre-med advising. Imagine how @Catalystik must feel, and yet they never get their fur in a fluff!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Welcome to the world of pre-med advising. Imagine how @Catalystik must feel, and yet they never get their fur in a fluff!
Fur wasn't in a fluff. I just gave an atypical one word answer. :)

To be fair, I did come back, own it, and link to my prior extended answer post!!

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know that knights even had fur...and there's nothing wrong with a one word answer (usually).
I agree, but, as you know, that's not my style, and I was called out for it! :)

Got accepted yesterday morning to my only MD school!!!!!😭😭😭🥺🥺so movement is still happening, even this late!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 50 users
Hey all, does anyone have any thoughts on William Carey, (I'm iffy on the school placed on the waitlist but am pretty high and certain I will be pulled) I am on three other waitlists as well, but I am considering withdrawing my app even if it would be my only acceptance this cycle.

Hey all, does anyone have any thoughts on William Carey, (I'm iffy on the school placed on the waitlist but am pretty high and certain I will be pulled) I am on three other waitlists as well, but I am considering withdrawing my app even if it would be my only acceptance this cycle.
I don't know much about that school, but why apply to a school if you're not willing to go there?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure this is the right thread to name and ask opinions on a specific school, especially if you are not looking at it favourably

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted yesterday you guys 😭

A few weeks ago I was getting feedback on my app from a school that rejected me (which I was really curious about since I have a Masters degree) and the admissions coordinator said “maybe you should think about nursing or OT school instead of medicine”. I cried after that call but even after all that I’m still going to be an MD 😭💕

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 38 users
Some posts were deleted.
Call outs are neither kind nor respectful.
We are here to support each other. Each in our own way.

...and there is a handy "ignore" function that can allow you to block any members you find annoying!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Being a reapplicant is nothing to be ashamed of. I proudly share it to anyone who asks or if it ever comes up. This is the hardest process in academia, if anything I believe it proves my resilience. In my second cycle I: saved my relationship, got to spend time with my family, traveled, started reading again, learned how to cook. Not to mention, I interviewed at schools I couldn’t have dreamed of the first time. Yes it was hard, but I just finished my first year of medical school and couldn’t be happier. One more year to end up in the right place has left me very happy.

• Care
Reactions: 29 users

A few weeks ago I was getting feedback on my app from a school that rejected me (which I was really curious about since I have a Masters degree) and the admissions coordinator said “maybe you should think about nursing or OT school instead of medicine”. I cried after that call but even after all that I’m still going to be an MD 😭💕
Congrats! Def interesting the span of time too bt those 2 things. Crazy how life is. You’ll do great things future doc!

• Care
Good luck this week homies! It ain’t over till it’s over

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users

Congrats! I can't imagine the amount of restraint you must have to not email that admissions coordinator and stick it to him/her 😂

Needed to hear this…after getting my inbox flooded with Caribbean med school emails.
And Masters of Health Administration/Public Health emails from the schools you applied MD to 😭

Good luck this week everyone!! I hope we all hear good news this week!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hi,
I know previously most of you agree that waitlist movements after CTE date is very less, but I was wondering if a school had like 205 CTE and their incoming class last year was 210. Aren’t they inclined to take 5 extra from the waitlist at that point? Or at The start of the cycle the adcom has a goal of 210-215 based on last years numbers, so they would want to take off waitlist after CTE to match the goal instead of being satisfied with the smaller number. Curious to see your thoughts.

Hi,
I know previously most of you agree that waitlist movements after CTE date is very less, but I was wondering if a school had like 205 CTE and their incoming class last year was 210. Aren’t they inclined to take 5 extra from the waitlist at that point? Or at The start of the cycle the adcom has a goal of 210-215 based on last years numbers, so they would want to take off waitlist after CTE to match the goal instead of being satisfied with the smaller number. Curious to see your thoughts.
It's more likely that the combination of CTE's and PTE's adds to the desired class size. If it is much larger, the school might take advantage of the "PTE" clause and let the excess go.
If there are 205 CTE's and 5 PTE's, the office might contact the PTE's and have them confirm. Additional acceptances may be needed if they don't confirm on the CTE date.

Last edited:
Hi,
You are absolutely correct. The adcom has a number it needs to hit, and it issues as many As as it needs to in order to hit the number.

The thing is, all schools are at that number now. WL movement occurs when someone drops out. The CTE deadline is the final opportunity to drop out, other than just not showing up after telling them you would. If a school has a class size of 210 and has 205 CTEs at its deadline, they will, indeed, admit another 5 people off the WL, and will make as many calls as they have to in order to hit that number.

Edit: @gyngyn is right about PTEs. It's just that failing to select CTE by the deadline is a pretty important thing to just forget, so, I'm assuming they are dropping the school and just didn't have the courtesy to let the school know. Whether the school reaches out to them or not, if they haven't CTEd by the deadline, their seats are probably available.

The point is, while it's possible, it doesn't happen often. What happens is that people who haven't yet CTEd are holding out for a WL school of their own. When they don't get it by the CTE deadline, they CTE. Very few seats actually end up opening up after CTE deadlines.

Last edited:
It's just that failing to select CTE by the deadline is a pretty important thing to just forget, so, I'm assuming they are dropping the school and just didn't have the courtesy to let the school know.
...and yet it has happened every year.

• Haha
At this point, waitlist movement chance is close to zero correct?

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
It ain’t over till it’s over

True.

It is demoralizing though as you see others get snatched and you're left waiting at the phone.

...but such is this WL life, I suppose. It is that uncertain fear - you work so hard and it gets dashed at the last moment.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
It's my birthday week, so I'm sending positive vibes and hoping that all you lovely folks on this thread will receive an acceptance email and/or phone call this week! It's a stressful time, so try to keep your head up and stay positive in this process!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?
Before CYMS, we had to guess who was coming based on where they were holding acceptances.
Now we know that for any given date, a certain number of CTE's and PTE's will add up to a predictable class size.
Before CYMS, it was common for waitlist movement to be brisk through June. Poaching of students was common. Now, all that has changed.
There has been almost no poaching at all and CA CTE dates are (mostly) still over a month away.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Before CYMS, we had to guess who was coming based on where they were holding acceptances.
Now we know know that for any given date, a certain number of CTE's and PTE's will add up to a predictable class size.
Before CYMS, it was common for waitlist movement to be brisk through June. Poaching of students was common. Now, all that has changed.
There has been almost no poaching at all and CA CTE dates are (mostly) still over a month away.
So I guess the stability in class size expectation would also mean no or less movement in June/early july?

So I guess the stability in class size expectation would also mean no or less movement in June/early july?
Yup. It's a vicious circle Catch-22.

In the old days, schools were very comfortable over accepting, because they could see where everyone held As, so they could predict yield with a high degree of accuracy. AAMC took that away in 2019, and replaced it with CYMS.

As you know, now schools cannot see where people hold As, or even if they hold As, unless they are reported as PTE or CTE. As a result, schools have been much more conservative from 2019 forward in over accepting. Fewer As translates to fewer people holding multiple As, which translates into fewer multiple As being dropped, and, consequently, less WL movement that apparently plays out sooner after 4/30 than it did in the past.

In addition, CTE is a thing now whereas before it wasn't. In the past, there was no "protocol" against accepting students that were committed elsewhere, because there was no CTE indicating such a commitment. If schools start poaching other schools' CTE students today, all hell would break loose with last minute movement, so schools are apparently avoiding violating the protocols they agreed to.

As a result, the tiny bit of WL movement at the end now goes exclusively to people not holding other As, so it is far more orderly than before, with no cascading effect, as CTEs have been kicking in across the country since the beginning of June. I doubt you'll see a single person reporting being off a WL after CTEing, even if they don't remove themselves from the WL.

Last edited:
I only had 1 II, which translated to a WL. Would it be a bad idea to reach out to this school to ask for feedback, given that it is already June 15 and there has been little to no reported WL movement (only 1 person on SDN reported getting off of the WL)? Its highly unlikely I'll get in at this point, and this school can provide me with the most valuable feedback as I interviewed there and the adcom extensively reviewed my app. Would this sort of email essentially close any doors for WL -> A?

• Care
I only had 1 II, which translated to a WL. Would it be a bad idea to reach out to this school to ask for feedback, given that it is already June 15 and there has been little to no reported WL movement (only 1 person on SDN reported getting off of the WL)? Its highly unlikely I'll get in at this point, and this school can provide me with the most valuable feedback as I interviewed there and the adcom extensively reviewed my app. Would this sort of email essentially close any doors for WL -> A?
I think they may not do so as your application is still considered active, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

I think they may not do so as your application is still considered active, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
Some schools also have a policy of not discussing or individually reviewing applications. Don't do what I did and forget to look it up before emailing lol

It won't close any doors, since you'd clearly still love to receive the A, since you're asking for feedback, presumably in anticipation of a reapp. Most schools won't provide feedback until they issue the R, if at all, but it costs you nothing to try. You should also be aware that most schools will also not provide feedback while you have an application pending, so keep that in mind if plan on reapplying to that school in the upcoming cycle.

As a result, the tiny bit of WL movement at the end now goes exclusively to people not holding other As, so it is far more orderly than before, with no cascading effect, as CTEs have been kicking in across the country since the beginning of June. I doubt you'll see a single person reporting being off a WL after CTEing, even if they don't remove themselves from the WL.
So you’re saying there’s a chance for us duds with no A’s? (4 WL zero A here)

until orientation, theres always a chance. but you should be proceeding as if it won't happen

Absolutely. By the way, your profile indicates you are far from a dud. You either had terrible luck or need some interviewing help, but no one with your stats and your WLs can objectively be classified as a dud.

There's ALWAYS a chance, until classes start or your receive the dreaded R. The point is, as time marches on and your chances diminish, it's also true that people with other As are forced to withdraw from the WL as their CTE deadlines approach. And, even if they don't withdraw, schools that are playing by the rules won't touch them.

That leaves you, and people like you! :)

Unfortunately, this is balanced against the fact that there is just very little movement as the summer progresses. OTOH, people are still reporting movement, even today. That said, you're in a really tough position, given your superlative stats and the tier of school you are dealing with. I'm sure it won't shock you to learn there is a hierarchy at work here.

Movement at top schools in early May begets movement at mid tiers later in May, and so on. The movement we are seeing now is mostly at lower tier MD and DO. TBH, I'm not sure how this is going to help someone with a 3.94/522, but, it's true that things happen at the last minute, at all tiers of school, every year. So, you hope for the best and prepare for the worst. What else can you do?

• Sad
Absolutely. By the way, your profile indicates you are far from a dud. You either had terrible luck or need some interviewing help, but no one with your stats and your WLs can objectively be classified as a dud.

There's ALWAYS a chance, until classes start or your receive the dreaded R. The point is, as time marches on and your chances diminish, it's also true that people with other As are forced to withdraw from the WL as their CTE deadlines approach. And, even if they don't withdraw, schools that are playing by the rules won't touch them.

That leaves you, and people like you! :)

Unfortunately, this is balanced against the fact that there is just very little movement as the summer progresses. OTOH, people are still reporting movement, even today. That said, you're in a really tough position, given your superlative stats and the tier of school you are dealing with. I'm sure it won't shock you to learn there is a hierarchy at work here.

Movement at top schools in early May begets movement at mid tiers later in May, and so on. The movement we are seeing now is mostly at lower tier MD and DO. TBH, I'm not sure how this is going to help someone with a 3.94/522, but, it's true that things happen at the last minute, at all tiers of school, every year. So, you hope for the best and prepare for the worst. What else can you do?
Im a dud…

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
Im a dud…
You're really not. The vast majority of people had nowhere near 6 IIs. Just like our mutual friend, @fogo, you just had really crappy luck OR you might need some help with interviews. You have mastered the most difficult part, and just need to figure out how to close the deal.

Jumping in here with 5 IIs -> 4 WLs (2 turned Rs) + 1 silence

It’s been rough to say the least. Finally got myself to start editing my PS today tho. The current goal is to check off 1 task from my re-application to-do list everyday. If you’re stuck in a rut, I recommend trying this.

• Care
Reactions: 19 users