2020-2021 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today, first for me of the cycle! Super excited! :) I am kinda nervous for the virtual interview tho...
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my secondary yesterday and my status says "application under review." Does anyone know how long I can expect to hear back about an interview?
Submitted secondary 7/27 and got an interview notification on my portal today (8/10)

Members don't see this ad :)
So my app just got verified, how long did it take you all to receive the secondary?

II at 6:40 p.m today! First one of the cycle! The earliest date available to sign up for me was October 6th.

Stats: 3.29 uGPA, 4.0 gGPA, 515 MCAT.

Complete July 15th

Reactions: 9 users
"If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (1,000 character limit including spaces)"

So I listed scribing at a clinic on my primary application during my gap year, but I am actually applying for a hospital position instead. Should I update that information or about retaking the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
"If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (1,000 character limit including spaces)"

So I listed scribing at a clinic on my primary application during my gap year, but I am actually applying for a hospital position instead. Should I update that information or about retaking the MCAT?
It would make sense to amend whatever activity you're doing, especially if it's healthcare related, so yes go for it and good luck with that job application! MCAT though...wouldn't they already know you're planning to retake your MCAT because you indicated the test date on your TMDSAS? I don't think you would need to reiterate that because they'll already know to expect your score.

It would make sense to amend whatever activity you're doing, especially if it's healthcare related, so yes go for it and good luck with that job application! MCAT though...wouldn't they already know you're planning to retake your MCAT because you indicated the test date on your TMDSAS? I don't think you would need to reiterate that because they'll already know to expect your score.
Gotcha, makes sense! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!

Hello guys,

I wanted to know of my chances to getting accepted to Texas medical schools, specifically TCOM. I completed my primary application on 05/27/2020 and the rest of the application by 08/03/2020 (got slightly delayed due to COVID mcat cancellations).

• 3.83 cGPA, 3.91 sGPA, 4.0 grad GPA, and Mcat 505.
  • Clinical experience working in the OR for about 3 years.
  • Teaching experience - 1.5 years, research - 1 semester. Both involving children.
  • Clinical volunteer - 7 months.
  • Texas resident, disadvantaged and first generation student.
  • I'm Indian, but I was born and raised in Tanzania, E. Africa.
I'm a bit worried about my mcat score. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello guys,

I wanted to know of my chances to getting accepted to Texas medical schools, specifically TCOM. I completed my primary application on 05/27/2020 and the rest of the application by 08/03/2020 (got slightly delayed due to COVID mcat cancellations).

• 3.83 cGPA, 3.91 sGPA, 4.0 grad GPA, and Mcat 505.
  • Clinical experience working in the OR for about 3 years.
  • Teaching experience - 1.5 years, research - 1 semester. Both involving children.
  • Clinical volunteer - 7 months.
  • Texas resident, disadvantaged and first generation student.
  • I'm Indian, but I was born and raised in Tanzania, E. Africa.
I'm a bit worried about my mcat score. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Truth be told, no one can predict your chances of getting accepted due to the many, many factors that go into it. However, you look like a good candidate for TCOM, and potentially a few other MD schools in Texas.

Truth be told, no one can predict your chances of getting accepted due to the many, many factors that go into it. However, you look like a good candidate for TCOM, and potentially a few other MD schools in Texas.

Thank you! Yeah, that's true. I'm trying to be realistic and it seems that I'm within the average, but it's definitely hard to tell.

Thank you! Yeah, that's true. I'm trying to be realistic and it seems that I'm within the average, but it's definitely hard to tell.
You're definitely above average with those stats/experiences and a lot better than mine and I got an interview here so just hold out and wait for your interview invites to roll in. Covid messing with MCAT dates was expected so I'm sure that won't hinder your application very much :)

You're definitely above average with those stats/experiences and a lot better than mine and I got an interview here so just hold out and wait for your interview invites to roll in. Covid messing with MCAT dates was expected so I'm sure that won't hinder your application very much :)

Thank you for your reply! Have you already done the interview? If yes, how was it? If no, good luck!! :)

Thank you for your reply! Have you already done the interview? If yes, how was it? If no, good luck!! :)
You're welcome. Also no, the earliest was Oct 9 by the time I got my scheduling email, but thank you for your luck because I'll certainly need it!

I applied and already registered for the II. I'm just waiting for updates about the online interview.
Thanks for responding! I haven’t seen any updates or traffic on here about EDP so I just wanted to check in with other applicants. Good luck and fingers crossed for the both us and everyone else!

For the Q, "Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?", is this about personal health problems like having dyslexia that directly affects your education? Or could it like growing up in a poor area/highschool? For example, I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and throughout K-12 all my schools had free lunch programs for everyone. Would that be educatiionally disadvantaged? I mean search up "Rio Grande Valley Texas poor" on google and you'll see plenty of results

For the Q, "Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?", is this about personal health problems like having dyslexia that directly affects your education? Or could it like growing up in a poor area/highschool? For example, I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and throughout K-12 all my schools had free lunch programs for everyone. Would that be educatiionally disadvantaged? I mean search up "Rio Grande Valley Texas poor" on google and you'll see plenty of results

Yes, but I think that would answer the financially disadvantaged question. For the education qn, it's more about something that prevented you from pursuing education ex: death in the family, the dyslexia you mentioned etc.

I put that my high school ill-prepared us for college (also like yours with free and reduced lunch programs, etc) compounded with first gen status as my educational disadvantage because that affected my transition to college in my first couple years and that seemed to be appropriate. Sounds like your school could fall under the same category, however dyslexia and any other learning difficulties also suffices.

First II! YAY :D

Randomly checked my portal last night and saw the status "invited to interview" :O Was really surprised since I submitted secondary 8/24. No idea when the status changed to that... It does say that they will email with a scheduling link sometime in the next 5 business days and I haven't gotten that email yet, so I guess the portal changes first before emails are sent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know what the stats for accepted OOS students typically look like? Like GPA and MCAT?

Randomly checked my portal last night and saw the status "invited to interview" :O Was really surprised since I submitted secondary 8/24. No idea when the status changed to that... It does say that they will email with a scheduling link sometime in the next 5 business days and I haven't gotten that email yet, so I guess the portal changes first before emails are sent.

I'm still waiting...:)

Congrats!!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your GPA/MCAT stats & clinical experience?

Congrats!!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your GPA/MCAT stats & clinical experience?

Thank you! It still seems unreal... I thought I had like no chance since I submitted so late (more than a month after I got the secondary) due to getting busy with other stuff

3.2x sGPA, 3.4x cGPA, 50x MCAT, thousands of hours of clinical experience. PM if you have any other questions!

Edit: ORM

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my secondary yesterday and my status says "application under review." Does anyone know how long I can expect to hear back about an interview?

Have you heard back?

Based on the 2019-2020 results thread, it looks like TCOM offered guaranteed deferred acceptances to select applicants from the WL so they are being offered a spot in the 2021-2022. Any idea how that would affect 2021-2022 applicants?
It means that a few of the slots in the class are already filled, and that TCOM will have to interview a few fewer people for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else get an email that your interview date slot was removed?

Yeah. I went to the UNTHSC admissions portal and it still says Invited to Interview so maybe they removed the sign up slot because the date was filled or some other sign up date cleanup? What date are you signed up for? 9/11 here

yea, I got the email too and freaked out. But I logged back into the signup genius and saw my name was still where I signed up.Im still confused tho...

I'm interviewing 9/15. Since it happened to all of us I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!

To those who interviewed today : Was it still MMI format? Just curious to see how they would arrange that virtually.

Reactions: 3 users
My tmdsas app should be verified by the end of this week it seems like according to the website. Do you guys think I should submit the secondary already or should I wait until my application gets officially verified first then submit it? thank u!

My tmdsas app should be verified by the end of this week it seems like according to the website. Do you guys think I should submit the secondary already or should I wait until my application gets officially verified first then submit it? thank u!

I believe you can, and should, submit now if ready. Make sure to tie your TMDSAS ID to the secondary app so they know it's yours.

Hey guys, when does TCOM send out the schedule for interview day? And does anyone know if there is a social the night before?

Hey guys, when does TCOM send out the schedule for interview day? And does anyone know if there is a social the night before?
I'm interviewing Friday and they sent me the schedule yesterday, idk about a social or anything like that