2020-2021 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just realized that I didn't send my CASPer score to penn state. submitted my secondary july 30th and just added penn state to my CASPer distribution list. how long does it usually take for schools to receive the score?

I added a school to my CASPer list late and it only took about a day or two for the school to mark it as received!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
do you have to be accepted to the college of medicine before being considered for the university park program?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have to be accepted to the college of medicine before being considered for the university park program?
The University Park Program page says: NOTE: Your answer to this question will have no bearing on your acceptance to College of Medicine. Furthermore, If you are accepted, you are under no obligation to participate nor are you necessarily guaranteed to participate as a Regional Campus student.
Which seems like you have to be admitted in general first, and then will be considered for specific programs. But that's just my interpretation!

does anyone know anything about university park program? i feel like people keep asking Qs about this but no one answers/really knows?

does anyone know anything about university park program? i feel like people keep asking Qs about this but no one answers/really knows?

I talked to a friend who just graduated from PSUCOM (he did the Hershey curriculum). I don't 100% know but he said that they go into clerkship earlier than other programs and return back to the classroom after clerkship is over. He says it's still early in development. That's all I know though!

I've been submitted for 2 weeks. LOR have still not been received by Penn State despite my letters being in months ago when I was first verified. Anyone else having issues having their app read "complete"?

Heads up to nontrads that the LOR requirements are set in stone. They don’t make any waivers regarding the non science faculty letter. Fortunately every other school I applied to with this requirement waived it for me. Waste of $41 lol.
is this even if you have a committee letter?

How long did it take to receive secondary? Added them to verified primary 8/10

How long did it take to receive secondary? Added them to verified primary 8/10
I received the secondary 07/29, and my primary was verified in mid June. It was the second to last one I got

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody marked as complete by Penn State? Submitted my secondary about 3 weeks ago and it still says my application is incomplete. But all of the other required materials say they are received/completed

Is anybody marked as complete by Penn State? Submitted my secondary about 3 weeks ago and it still says my application is incomplete. But all of the other required materials say they are received/completed

I got a complete email

for those of you who have submitted already, did you write something for each of the competencies? I'm confused about this portion of the app.

for those of you who have submitted already, did you write something for each of the competencies? I'm confused about this portion of the app.
No I didn't. I just selected that I met them through a course

Reactions: 2 users
I selected that I met a course and where I felt it appropriate, also wrote about some activities

Reactions: 1 users
Received the app complete email last night. Secondary returned 7/31, so 2 weeks ago.

for the university park program, is it just the 3rd and 4th clinical years that are different? Or is this a whole separate application program . sorry a lil confused ik some questions were asked on this before.

I've been submitted for 2 weeks. LOR have still not been received by Penn State despite my letters being in months ago when I was first verified. Anyone else having issues having their app read "complete"?
I have the same problem but on the document status page, it shows that my letters were submitted 7/20/2020/

+1

just got marked complete and submitted my secondary 2 days ago. It's 5AM on a Sunday lol

Reactions: 2 users
I have the same problem but on the document status page, it shows that my letters were submitted 7/20/2020/
Mine said the same thing and when I emailed them, they said it wasn't automatic but my app still isn't considered complete

Mine said the same thing and when I emailed them, they said it wasn't automatic but my app still isn't considered complete
Same thing happened to me and I also emailed. They said they have to mark as complete manually so I'm guessing they just do that as they review applications but we're good.

Heads up to nontrads that the LOR requirements are set in stone. They don’t make any waivers regarding the non science faculty letter. Fortunately every other school I applied to with this requirement waived it for me. Waste of $41 lol.
Just to clarify, you absolutely need the non-science LOR? Damn, wish I would have seen this before I finished writing their secondary lol. I was hoping my 2 science and 2 MD letters would suffice ): (graduated in 2019, so no excuse for me not having a non-science LOR).

Verified 8/6 and still no secondary....do they screen or are they just taking forever?

Nope i submitted 4 days ago and mine says complete

Emailed PSU because I'm still waiting on secondary and received this:

"Thank you for your email. We are working on fixing an issue with the secondary application so once the issue is fixed we will start sending out secondary applications again. Thank you for your interest in Penn State College of Medicine."

Reactions: 4 users
Emailed PSU because I'm still waiting on secondary and received this:

"Thank you for your email. We are working on fixing an issue with the secondary application so once the issue is fixed we will start sending out secondary applications again. Thank you for your interest in Penn State College of Medicine."
Ok thats great to know. Thank you! :)

**** me, I wasted money on the secondary as well. Thanks for the heads-up, anyways.

You might actually email them! Apparently someone I talked to on another forum was allowed the substitution. I guess it depends on who answers your email. I’m not sure if I should try again lol. This reminds me that I should edit that post.
I will definitely try this since there's really nothing to lose in my case! Thankyouthankyou for your help!

for LOR requirements, does anyone know if you have a committee letter, do these add'l letters still apply:
  • You have multiple degrees.If this is true, you must submit one letter from each of the institutions that has granted you any of the following degrees:
    • Associate, Bachelor, Master, Doctorate
  • You have one or more years of graduate study or full-time employment at the time of application. If this is true, you are required to submit one additional letter of recommendation from a member of the graduate faculty or work supervisor.

is grad faculty referring to a grad advisor or grad professor? also, do they mean literal supervisor or would the physician I worked with for a year count?

being a non-trad is *thumbs down* sometimes. more letters, more essays blehhh lol

Last edited:
for LOR requirements, does anyone know if you have a committee letter, do these add'l letters still apply:
  • You have multiple degrees.If this is true, you must submit one letter from each of the institutions that has granted you any of the following degrees:
    • Associate, Bachelor, Master, Doctorate
  • You have one or more years of graduate study or full-time employment at the time of application. If this is true, you are required to submit one additional letter of recommendation from a member of the graduate faculty or work supervisor.

is grad faculty referring to a grad advisor or grad professor? also, do they mean literal supervisor or would the physician I worked with for a year count?

being a non-trad is *thumbs down* sometimes. more letters, more essays blehhh lol

Regarding your "do these still apply" question - I believe so. My employer submitted a letter to my committee and it is included in my committee's letter packet so I emailed to ask if I needed to submit the letter again since they make you verify that on the secondary. They responded: "As long as YOU had it sent to through the Committee letter packet then we are good to go" So I think it is still a requirement that you can submit within or in addition to the committee letter.

Regarding your "do these still apply" question - I believe so. My employer submitted a letter to my committee and it is included in my committee's letter packet so I emailed to ask if I needed to submit the letter again since they make you verify that on the secondary. They responded: "As long as YOU had it sent to through the Committee letter packet then we are good to go" So I think it is still a requirement that you can submit within or in addition to the committee letter.

when you say your employer, do you mean like the person you directly worked with or some other official? I have a science letter from my grad prof so I think that should cover that part, but I'm wondering if the physician I worked with will count for employer. she wasn't my employer/supervisor per se but I worked with her directly. I'll prob call tomorrow to clarify as well.

when you say your employer, do you mean like the person you directly worked with or some other official? I have a science letter from my grad prof so I think that should cover that part, but I'm wondering if the physician I worked with will count for employer. she wasn't my employer/supervisor per se but I worked with her directly. I'll prob call tomorrow to clarify as well.
It says member of graduate faculty or work supervisor, so I think your letter from your prof should do. For mine, I got a letter from my PI. No harm in calling though!

For the secondary questions:
1b. Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)
2a. Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)

Did you just copy the same answer on both?

Still waiting here as well and verified 8/5.

Same here unfortunately, also in state, been waiting a few weeks. Office told me I won't be receiving a secondary till the next few days (hopefully)

My primary application was verified in June, but I still haven’t received a secondary. That said, my recommendation letters did not get in until a couple weeks ago, and I’m out of state. They say they send them to everyone?

My primary application was verified in June, but I still haven’t received a secondary. That said, my recommendation letters did not get in until a couple weeks ago, and I’m out of state. They say they send them to everyone?

I was verified 08/18 and haven’t received on as well. One of the last schools I’m waiting for!!

Have they marked your letters as received yet? I submitted 8/19 and they already had my letters packet through amcas but it’s still not checked off on the portal.