2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current and future generations, not sure if this will ever be handy for you but alas, here we are:

10/8
10/13
10/15
10/19
10/22
10/29
11/5
11/10
11/11
11/12
11/17
11/19
12/1
12/3
12/8
12/10
12/11
12/17
1/7
1/12
1/14
1/19
1/21
1/26
1/28
2/2
2/4
2/5
2/9
2/11
2/16
2/18
2/23
2/25
2/26
2/27
2/29 (????)
3/2
3/4
3/5
3/9***
3/10***
3/11
3/23

Thats 42 interview dates. am i missing any? did i add any extras? if every date had 20 ppl attend thats 840 interviews. I read somewhere or maybe watched a news story that 3500 applied. 840/3500 = 24% chance of interview. Now lets say out of 840 they offered 200 initial A's already. That means 640 are left. Out of those 640 lets say about half were given a post interview R and half were given a post interview WL. I take it that approx 320 are with us on the WL. History suggests they take 30-70 from the WL, lets take a conservative average of 50 for this cycle. This gives 50/320 chances to get pulled. Thats approx 15.6%. Now, out of the 320 that are on the WL, how many actually want to go to this school? Historical yield suggests about 68-70%. Lets take 69% as a cheeky average. So lets say 220 on the WL. So 50/220= 22%.

And this my freinds is what you do when you are super bored. Is any of this useful? likely not. So take EVERYTHING WITH A GRAIN OF SALT CAUSE TLDR NONE OF US KNOW BAHHAHAH
From previous

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have another update from admissions. The committee will meet 2-3 more times (they met this week and meet bi-weekly), there are 130 or so applications left to review, so they will likely finish by mid-end of June. People can be offered an acceptance all the way up until the first day of classes as some folks do drop out last minute, so unfortunately, if you are waitlisted, you could be waiting a while if Minnesota is your first choice.
Are we thinking bi-weekly updates as in twice a week or as in every other week? I hate that this word has two meanings lol

Attachments

• bi-weekly.PNG
    bi-weekly.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 88
Are we thinking bi-weekly updates as in twice a week or as in every other week? I hate that this word has two meanings lol
Lol every other week, although there was a time in March or April that I saw on this forum when the updates started to be weekly

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting to hear back - interviewed on 2/18. Question though: When you're notified about an R, does the email say they'll do a feedback interview with you? Just curious if they offer feedback on how to make your application stronger. I thought in years past they offered feedback if you did an interview, but I heard this year they don't offer feedback even if someone interviewed. Not sure what to believe....? Thanks folks for any input!

Waiting to hear back - interviewed on 2/18. Question though: When you're notified about an R, does the email say they'll do a feedback interview with you? Just curious if they offer feedback on how to make your application stronger. I thought in years past they offered feedback if you did an interview, but I heard this year they don't offer feedback even if someone interviewed. Not sure what to believe....? Thanks folks for any input!
Wasn't mentioned in the email, but they did give a long write up of what to look at if you plan on reapplying

Reactions: 1 users
2/25 interviewee here and if I’m to hear back tomorrow...I hope it’s either good news or no news. I don’t want to cry on my birthday 😢

Also sending lots of love and light to the applicants who posted recently. Wishing you all the best of luck. I believe in you! Keep going! You will be wonderful physicians. 💞

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I emailed on Sunday asking for feedback, but haven't heard back yet. I'll keep you posted!

Had a missed call and VM from a Minneapolis number and it was spam. NOT COOL.

Had a missed call and VM from a Minneapolis number and it was spam. NOT COOL.
Oy! I think the call comes from a number with a 312 area code (Chicago)... not sure, but that's what I've heard. I interviewed on 2/18 and still.... no word....

Reactions: 2 users
Oy! I think the call comes from a number with a 312 area code (Chicago)... not sure, but that's what I've heard. I interviewed on 2/18 and still.... no word....
Confirmed! Everyone I’ve talked to has gotten the call from a 312 number.

Members don't see this ad :)
[mention]Ygkernhofer [/mention] [mention]LetMeInMN [/mention] fingers crossed for you both!! This wait is painful...

• Love
March 10th. I was initially planning to sign up for a mid/late February date but most of their dates interferes with the majority of my classes and that was during midterm period. So I had to choose that date.
Ok I was March 4th so I feel your pain!

Any updates on the number of ppl in the GroupMe/FB group? I know there was some speculation about the current number of seats open but was wondering if accepted peeps had some insight:)

Any updates on the number of ppl in the GroupMe/FB group? I know there was some speculation about the current number of seats open but was wondering if accepted peeps had some insight:)
Currently 194 in the Facebook and 101 in the GroupMe. About 5 new folks have joined this week.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi folks! Is anyone else still waiting to hear back who interviewed on 2/18? I haven't heard anything... WL, R, A... nothing. I've checked my trash and spam as well. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something (wouldn't be the first time lol :)

2/23 and nothing. For the Feb group a couple weeks ago (I think early Feb to 2/16?), did everyone hear back one way or another, or was it either rejection, acceptance, or silence (presumed WL hold)? This waiting without contact is really, truly brutal and thinking I'd hear back only to have it pushed further and further into the future is taking its toll

Hi folks! Is anyone else still waiting to hear back who interviewed on 2/18? I haven't heard anything... WL, R, A... nothing. I've checked my trash and spam as well. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something (wouldn't be the first time lol :)
meeeeeeee im here with ya. interviewed 2/18 and no news at all. ive been so on edge lately and dragging my feet on reapplying...

meeeeeeee im here with ya. no news at all. ive been so on edge lately and dragging my feet on reapplying...
this absolutely!! i was hoping for some closure one way or another this week so i could finally relax, or buckle down..

2/23 and nothing. For the Feb group a couple weeks ago (I think early Feb to 2/16?), did everyone hear back one way or another, or was it either rejection, acceptance, or silence (presumed WL hold)? This waiting without contact is really, truly brutal and thinking I'd hear back only to have it pushed further and further into the future is taking its toll
You hear back if your are WL as well (no silence)

• Care
interviewed 2/18, WL less than a minute ago...disappointed but at least i know to work on my app now

• Care
I'm convinced that UMN is holistic during their review process. I have a very low mcat score and I made it to the waitlist. They are definitely not just focusing on stats.

• Love
in case people are interested, the email states,

The next time you are notified of a decision you will be informed as to whether you have been accepted to the class, placed on the ranked Alternate List, or not accepted. All applicants will be notified of the Committee’s final decision no later than June 25, 2021.”

i’m hopeful for everyone else waiting to hear back / waitlisted!! stay positive 🤟🏻

Last edited:
Hmmm does this mean that their deadline to release the ranked WL is still 7/2?

There's a link to the reapplicant page in the email, and on that page it says that they're not currently scheduling feedback appointments. They have a Self-Assessment guide to go through that I think is decently helpful (although not as great as getting direct feedback). From the wording on the site, it doesn't sound like they're anticipating opening up more appointments soon, and definitely not before AMCAS submissions open next week.

Any February folks still waiting to hear back? I haven't seen any 2/25 interviewees on this forum so just curious...hoping they get to us early March folks within 2 weeks. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Any updates?>.<
Looks like there aren't any today. Based on their trends, the committee should be meeting this week with updates next week. Im hoping they send more updates this week though. They have been sending weekly updates this month I think.....

Per admissions the class is currently full or very near full, though they except at least some people will drop by or at July 1st
Is this based off of your last update or new information?

Last thing I heard from Diane, no new info
With their commit to enroll deadline being July 1, I’m sure a lot of the class still has to “commit to enroll”. The class maybe full right now but most students are likely only “plan to enroll”. As long as there are a lot of “plan to enroll” students then the class could still shift a lot. With many of the schools having July 1 commit to enroll deadlines this year the waitlist movement will be delayed.

With their commit to enroll deadline being July 1, I’m sure a lot of the class still has to “commit to enroll”. The class maybe full right now but most students are likely only “plan to enroll”. As long as there are a lot of “plan to enroll” students then the class could still shift a lot. With many of the schools having July 1 commit to enroll deadlines this year the waitlist movement will be delayed.
So plan for not getting accepted off the waitlist but there is some hope of still getting off the waitlist end of June. It’s not over till the whole class is “commit to enroll”.

So plan for not getting accepted off the waitlist but there is some hope of still getting off the waitlist end of June. It’s not over till the whole class is “commit to enroll”.
Also some schools kept a “commit to enroll” deadline of June 1 (UW
is one of them) meaning these schools will have some people drop and pull from their waitlist, which some “plan to enroll” students at U of MN may get accepted at these schools and then drop their place at U of MN, which will lead to some waitlist movement for us. So we may even see some waitlist movement in early June.

Also some schools kept a “commit to enroll” deadline of June 1 (UW
is one of them) meaning these schools will have some people drop and pull from their waitlist, which some “plan to enroll” students at U of MN may get accepted at these schools and then drop their place at U of MN, which will lead to some waitlist movement for us. So we may even see some waitlist movement in early June.
thank you for posting these! not to speak for others, but if i'm feeling this way, maybe others are too... i'm definitely not counting on getting off of the wait list, and i know i need to reapply this cycle. i have to move forward to stay somewhat sane (lol), and this waiting has put me in a bad place with chronic stress. i know the situation is bleak, but i appreciate checking in here and seeing the camaraderie of others going through the same & reading hopeful comments like these. i'm going to have to keep waiting and reapply regardless, but i'd rather check in here and read that maybe there is even a little chance/purpose for me to keep on waiting. so thank you 💚

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
thank you for posting these! not to speak for others, but if i'm feeling this way, maybe others are too... i'm definitely not counting on getting off of the wait list, and i know i need to reapply this cycle. i have to move forward to stay somewhat sane (lol), and this waiting has put me in a bad place with chronic stress. i know the situation is bleak, but i appreciate checking in here and seeing the camaraderie of others going through the same & reading hopeful comments like these. i'm going to have to keep waiting and reapply regardless, but i'd rather check in here and read that maybe there is even a little chance/purpose for me to keep on waiting. so thank you 💚
I’m totally in the same boat, the wait is really agonizing! Although one thing I don’t understand (and maybe someone can explain it to me) is if you’re going to fill the class up to the early January interviews (and have such little WL movement), why bother including so many interview dates after that date? I’m sure there’s a good 150+ of us on the waitlist… sorry if it sounds like I’m ranting!

I’m totally in the same boat, the wait is really agonizing! Although one thing I don’t understand (and maybe someone can explain it to me) is if you’re going to fill the class up to the early January interviews (and have such little WL movement), why bother including so many interview dates after that date? I’m sure there’s a good 150+ of us on the waitlist… sorry if it sounds like I’m ranting!
def a thought i've also had :( i think they expected more people to ultimately commit elsewhere. i think they were also hit by covid, couldn't move fast enough, but still wanted to give a chance to interview to all of us applicants... but they should not have interviewed as many people and as far out as they did with their resource constrains. i think they just weren't prepared and were well-intentioned, but the result is just a trashy situation that's unfortunately really hurting applicants

def a thought i've also had :( i think they expected more people to ultimately commit elsewhere. i think they were also hit by covid, couldn't move fast enough, but still wanted to give a chance to interview to all of us applicants... but they should not have interviewed as many people and as far out as they did with their resource constrains. i think they just weren't prepared and were well-intentioned, but the result is just a trashy situation that's unfortunately really hurting applicants
Most top 50 med schools this year had way more students “plan to enroll” at them and few students drop their acceptances which is not the norm. So there has been little waitlist movement in general this year. This app cycle has been very abnormal compared to past years.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of the most amazing physicians I work with (chief of cardiac anesthesia, director of heart failure cardiology, etc.) have shared with me their own experiences of getting into medical school in late June or July (days before their school began). Despite that, in the end, they all become great physicians and doing wonderful work for humanity. My point is, don’t lose hope or feel discouraged even if you have to be on the waitlist till the last minute. ❤️🤗

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users