2023-2024 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my A, good luck to anyone on the WL :)

Reactions: 4 users
Duluth just sent an email about waitlist placement. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the U starts to pull from the WL? I imagine later this month - May? Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the U starts to pull from the WL? I imagine later this month - May? Thank you.
Pretty sure they have some movement in April then in May a ranked waitlist is released, but not 100% confident in that timeline

Reactions: 1 users
Let’s hope for some WL movement everyone! How many people got the high group today?

How do the groups work? They release a designated section now and then in early May they give you your rank list? Or in early May you can come off the waitlist? Anyone know people who got in years prior who were not in the high group at the start?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do the groups work? They release a designated section now and then in early May they give you your rank list? Or in early May you can come off the waitlist? Anyone know people who got in years prior who were not in the high group at the start?
From their website:

“Waitlist - If an applicant is placed on the waitlist, beginning in May, one of three things will happen:
  1. You will be accepted off of the waitlist.
  2. You will be placed on the ranked alternate list for possible admission later. You will receive notification via email of your position on the ranked list in June.
  3. You will be released from the waitlist and will not receive further consideration.”

Will TC be posting waitlists updates? Only seeing a Duluth update.

Does anyone know the specifics about the SERVE curriculum? I am still somewhat confused

- what a typical daily or weekly schedule looks like? Classes in the morning or afternoon or both? anatomy lab? clinical skills?
- how frequent exams are? NBME style or faculty written?

I am just trying to gauge how much time students spend in class and how much free time there is for studying/research/volunteering/extracurricular/etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know the specifics about the SERVE curriculum? I am still somewhat confused

- what a typical daily or weekly schedule looks like? Classes in the morning or afternoon or both? anatomy lab? clinical skills?
- how frequent exams are? NBME style or faculty written?

I am just trying to gauge how much time students spend in class and how much free time there is for studying/research/volunteering/extracurricular/etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Hi first year med student here.
1. Typical day is morning classes that are "mandatory" (they never take attendance and ppl skip all the time based on their needs). Afternoon sessions are usually clinical skills, anatomy, or more lectures. Lectures are skippable. The other things are NOT. It was MUCH busier first semester during fundamentals, but now that im in second semester I have most afternoons off actually.
2. exams are every other week typically. Faculty written in the NBME style. They try to make it like step but some exams are more straightforward.
3. Tons of time for volunteering/ research/ studying. It really will seem overwhelming at first and youll feel like you wont have enough time, but once you settle in youll develop a routine that works for you. I would say right now I can easily get 8 hours of sleep if i use my time correctly which includes studying, research, being on the exec board for 2 orgs, spending time w friends and my partner etc. I usually close my laptop at 7pm and have a hard cut off so my evenings are for unwinding and relaxing.

hope this helps

Reactions: 3 users
Hi first year med student here.
1. Typical day is morning classes that are "mandatory" (they never take attendance and ppl skip all the time based on their needs). Afternoon sessions are usually clinical skills, anatomy, or more lectures. Lectures are skippable. The other things are NOT. It was MUCH busier first semester during fundamentals, but now that im in second semester I have most afternoons off actually.
2. exams are every other week typically. Faculty written in the NBME style. They try to make it like step but some exams are more straightforward.
3. Tons of time for volunteering/ research/ studying. It really will seem overwhelming at first and youll feel like you wont have enough time, but once you settle in youll develop a routine that works for you. I would say right now I can easily get 8 hours of sleep if i use my time correctly which includes studying, research, being on the exec board for 2 orgs, spending time w friends and my partner etc. I usually close my laptop at 7pm and have a hard cut off so my evenings are for unwinding and relaxing.

hope this helps
This is very helpful, thanks so much!!

I was also wondering if you have access to third party study resources like UWorld, Boards and Beyond, Osmosis etc for board prep and studying throughout each block as a student at UMN?

This is very helpful, thanks so much!!

I was also wondering if you have access to third party study resources like UWorld, Boards and Beyond, Osmosis etc for board prep and studying throughout each block as a student at UMN?
We get free Uworld for all our board exams. All other 3rd party resources are ~ahem shared from year to year~ so you do not have to buy them except for Amboss and bootcamp. Most med students use the Anking anki deck which you technically have to pay for, but they come out with new versions every year and usually the prior year's version is avaliable online for download if you look for it!

• Wow
does anyone know how many people get accepted right off the waitlist without being put on the ranked/straight rejected? i feel like i have no information about the waitlist 🥲

Does anyone knwo when we are gonna get fin aid info? Will it be before the 30th?

Like a lot of other schools it seems like umn has a lot of people paying full tuition or no tuition with not much in between.

Hi just curious if any current med students had any honest opinions about how it’s like to live in one of the med frat houses at UMN

Did anyone actually get any scholarships or aid besides the options for the normal graduate loans? I was offered zero.

I did not ever receive an email with an ID from the admissions office (as a TC accepted student)
Check your estimated financial aid notice email if you received it. Your ID should be located at the top.

Rejected off WL. Gonna go cry for a bit. Good luck everyone, really would've liked to have been your classmate

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Noooooooooooooooooooo. Well at least they got it over with so I can move on with my decisions

• Care
  • Wow
R off the WL. This was my dream school :(

• Care
  • Sad
R of the twin cities WL

• Care
  • Sad
For the people who have gotten rejected off the waitlist, what waitlist group were you?

Has Twin Cities released WL group ranking? I've been on the waitlist since Feb but haven't received any ranking

For those of us who have selected CTE for UMN, do you know if we'll be hearing from them soon about class registration, etc?

So if you interviewed at both TC and Duluth campus, does the waitlist group (which seemed to be only from the Duluth campus) apply towards the TC campus? or are they still waiting to release waitlist groups for the TC campus?

So if you interviewed at both TC and Duluth campus, does the waitlist group (which seemed to be only from the Duluth campus) apply towards the TC campus? or are they still waiting to release waitlist groups for the TC campus?
I emailed last month and asked if the waitlist is for a specific campus and they said "We are not differentiating between campuses at this time as campus placement would occur with an acceptance offer. We will take into consideration where a seat has opened up (which campus) as well as what campus preference was indicated. That being said, we won't 'pass' over a name on the waitlist just because the open seat and campus preference do not match, however we will do our best to place you in the location best suited to your needs."