2020-2021 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Seton Hill)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted yesterday!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One more question - I'm torn between putting my preference for PBL or LDP. As for PBL I really like the idea of an actively engaging learning environment and think that may be more effective for my learning style. However, I was told PBL has a much heavier aspect of self-study than LDP does and I think that may put me at a disadvantage since I do better with structure. I was just wondering if someone could shed some more light on the positives or negatives of each path that I might be missing. Thanks.

I do better with structure and I chose LDP. I feel like the volume of material would make me feel overwhelmed if I were almost completely on my own. I see the value in PBL though- it would be cool if they had a 1/2 and 1/2 option

Got my letter today... I was chosen for the alternate list :dead:

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You still have a chance here! But I'm sorry, I know that stings.

Thanks, it definitely does...

My letter was delivered yesterday... to the wrong house... I had to hunt the mailman down and when he finally found it he came and brought it to my door.

I wasn't there, so my mom face timed me to open it... she read part of the first line, thought I'd gotten in, and then started crying!! AFTER crying and telling me that I got in, she read the rest of the letter and realized that I was put on an "alternate list" LOL. I can't help but laugh...

I'm okay, just trying to roll with the punches and trust the process.

Last edited:
Thanks, it definitely does...

My letter was delivered yesterday... to the wrong house... I had to hunt the mailman down and when he finally found it he came and brought it to my door.

I wasn't there, so my mom face timed me to open it... she read part of the first line, thought I'd gotten in, and then started crying!! AFTER crying and telling me that I got in, she read the rest of the letter and realized that I was put on an "alternate list" LOL. I can't help but laugh...

I'm okay, just trying to roll with the punches and trust the process.

Oh man, that's awful. That's just... well, when you get the A elsewhere, you'll laugh about this.

Oh man, that's awful. That's just... well, when you get the A elsewhere, you'll laugh about this.

Yup, definitely! That's what I told her-- She felt TERRIBLE. It will be a funny story one day ;)

I hope I provided you all with some comedic relief, lol. Wishing you all success! :xf::love:

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, definitely! That's what I told her-- She felt TERRIBLE. It will be a funny story one day ;)

I hope I provided you all with some comedic relief, lol. Wishing you all success! :xf::love:

You did! And I'm glad you're both doing okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I’m a first year at SH, I wouldn’t sweat it! (I know way easier said than done- ugh the application cycle is super stressful.) Some of my classmates were on the alternate list and are now first years! You definitely still have a good chance. Keep your head up

Would you mind sharing what you like/ don't like about the Seton Hill campus so far? Or be willing to discuss the differences between there and the Erie campus?

Hey, would you consider I apply if I have a sub 500 MCAT? I have a 3.61 cumulative and a 3.48 science gpa.
I would say it’s definitely worth a shot! (But it also depends on if we are talking about a 488 or 498....pretty big difference). LECOM also can use your SAT/ACT instead of your MCAT.

I would say it’s definitely worth a shot! (But it also depends on if we are talking about a 488 or 498....pretty big difference). LECOM also can use your SAT/ACT instead of your MCAT.
I have a 498 MCAT score. Think I may have a shot?

Hi everyone, I'm planning on doing my interview recording soon but I'm a bit nervous about the questions and was wondering if anyone has any tips for practice? What questions should I focus on besides the usual why medicine, why DO, why us, etc? I received an interview invite 5 days after they started reviewing my app so I'm hoping that's a good sign? I appreciate any advice I could get! :)

Hey guys. I have a interview scheduled at 9/18. Is this information session an interview? I don't think so.
I think the interview is only the 5-question assessment. I'm so confusing.
Thanks for your help!!!

Hey guys. I have a interview scheduled at 9/18. Is this information session an interview? I don't think so.
I think the interview is only the 5-question assessment. I'm so confusing.
Thanks for your help!!!

There are two components. The information session you scheduled is the Zoom session. The interview portion is the 5 question assessment that you'll submit as an interview.

There are two components. The information session you scheduled is the Zoom session. The interview portion is the 5 question assessment that you'll submit as an interview.
Appreciate! Will there be any group interview during the noon session? Or is it just a info session. Sorry for this confusion. Have a nice weekend!

Has anyone who did the Zoom session on 8/11 hear back yet?

Last edited:
What is different about this campus compared to the main Erie one? Thinking about applying here.

What is different about this campus compared to the main Erie one? Thinking about applying here.

The biggest thing is that the only style of learning available at Seton Hill is PBL and they make it abundently clear haha. I applied because of the location and PBL

I was just given an interview invite for the SH location this morning but I don't recall ever applying. I only selected Erie and Bradenton... Interesting to see that they offered an interview here.

I was just given an interview invite for the SH location this morning but I don't recall ever applying. I only selected Erie and Bradenton... Interesting to see that they offered an interview here.
If you applied to the Eerie Campus, you application goes into the pool for Eerie, Seton Hill and Elmira NY! Same thing happened with me :)

Congratulations to everyone accepted! Just wanted to provide some insight to the school for those that have been accepted andr those that are on the fence between LECOM Seton Hill and other locations.

TLDR = If you have other options, definitely go elsewhere.

The school as whole is ok. The PBL pathway is not what they say it is publicly. There is an imaginary page count that they want you to get to and typically add hundreds of pages 2 weeks before an exam. The added stress of learning new material in such little time is not conducive to true learning. It also ends up splitting systems into multiple semester/years. What you may have learned about a complicated system may be long forgotten as you pick it back up in a new case. The instructors for some PBL groups are also not always physicians, you may have a lawyer facilitating your group.

There is a much stronger emphasis on osteopathic manipulation techniques as opposed to any other medicine. This reflects in their board scores that this past year were great for that specific area, however were below average on every other aspect. This will provide the appearance of better scores on their reports but is not the whole story.

The instructors are mix bag of decent and absolutely horrendous. The worst offender is the lead instructor who is a bully. He consistently belittles students and actively looks for opportunities to assert his power. He preaches professionalism but is consistently late, runs long, and has blatant errors in exams. He likes to put information that you have not yet learned on exams. The other instructors know that he is terrible but have verbatim said "he can do whatever he wants and there's nothing I can do." If you are a PA especially beware. He has an unexplained disdain for those in APAP, which is odd as he is the de-facto advisor for all PA's. Overall, I cannot stress how bad he is. The stress of medical should not come from worrying about a terrible instructor, it should come from having to learn as much as possible to ensure you have the necessary knowledge to save lives. Multiple complaints have been made by multiple students in multiple class years but there has been no resolve to any issues.

I know some may not have any other options, and if so, use this school as a stepping stone. However, if you have other options, I would almost certainly recommend that over this school. I tried to be as objective as possible and have many more examples of why this school is in need of serious reform but tried to keep it shorter.

I have thought about posting this for awhile, and almost didn't, but felt that prospective students who have invested thousands of hours and dollars into this process should have an honest review.

Best of luck to everyone in these crazy times!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
This is concerning as LECOM is a top choice for me (for a number of reasons). But during my info session, Mr. Freeman made it clear any applicant not happy with an aspect of LECOM should consider other programs as the rules are non-negotiable. With that said, does it apply to concerns that you mentioned or are those things worth trying to change/fight?

I'll add to this (granted I interviewed at Elmira but I imagine some of these feelings are applicable to Erie as a whole institution): I did my info session for Elmira last week, and any inkling I had to maybe choose this program if I went the DO route completely vanished. They really gave me the impression that the administration/faculty won't go out of their way to help you (basically said, med school is hard and we won't hold your hand). Which, true, we're adults and should hold ourselves accountable, but they made me feel like they don't believe it's their responsibility to help students who have a hard time initially adapting. Also found it odd that the admissions people were eating/drinking on the zoom call right after they'd said "students can survive without water for a bit, it's unprofessional to eat/drink in meetings." So umm..

Reactions: 1 users
What were examples of the ethical questions they asked during the video interview?

I was placed on the alternate list for lecom seton hill and was wondering if anyone has been accepted from the alternate list yet. Hoping that there will be movement before May :/

I applied to LECOM Erie, but didn’t see the Seton Hill option in the AACOMAS portal. Did you folks apply elsewhere?

Are there any other current students at Seton Hill that can provide more information about the school?

One more question - I'm torn between putting my preference for PBL or LDP. As for PBL I really like the idea of an actively engaging learning environment and think that may be more effective for my learning style. However, I was told PBL has a much heavier aspect of self-study than LDP does and I think that may put me at a disadvantage since I do better with structure. I was just wondering if someone could shed some more light on the positives or negatives of each path that I might be missing. Thanks.
Not sure if anyone has already answered your question but I am currently in PBL now. It's not actually active discussion like it's advertised to be. It's a couple of group discussions a week but then all self-reading. You will teach yourself everything so only chose PBL if you love reading and self-learning.

Hello, can any current students please give me some apartment recommendations in greensburg?