2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any guidance on what should be put in the subject line and body?
I was told "Letter of Recommendation - Name - AAMC ID #" so it simplifies it as much as possible for them

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I never got an email saying I had to send my LOI by March 19. Can I still send it or is it too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told "Letter of Recommendation - Name - AAMC ID #" so it simplifies it as much as possible for them

I never got an email saying I had to send my LOI by March 19. Can I still send it or is it too late?
Basically they sent an email after they put you as an alternate giving you about five days to submit your update/LOI. So it wasn't March 19th for all the alternates, it's based on when they placed you as an alternate!

Basically they sent an email after they put you as an alternate giving you about five days to submit your update/LOI. So it wasn't March 19th for all the alternates, it's based on when they placed you as an alternate!
Mine was due the 15th!

I never received that email after becoming an alternate. I even checked my spam. Maybe they forgot to send me one?

Two questions for alternates:

1. How long are your LOIs? I can't seem to get mine under a page.
2. Have you submitted your LOIs and if not, around when are you planning to submit them?

Thank you!

Two questions for alternates:

1. How long are your LOIs? I can't seem to get mine under a page.
2. Have you submitted your LOIs and if not, around when are you planning to submit them?

Thank you!
Mine was a page. I had 4 paragraphs
- introduced myself, thanked them for the opportunity to interview, named the interviewers and my interview date and expressed my intent to attend
- second paragraph was basically why GW and how their mission and curriculum fit well with my goals
- third paragraph was what I would offer the school e.g. promote collaboration
- fourth paragraph was a brief update about my thesis, expressing my intent once again, and closing out with a generic salutation.

I turned it in after my WL notification. March 15th was my deadline.

Reactions: 4 users
Mine was a page. I had 4 paragraphs
- introduced myself, thanked them for the opportunity to interview, named the interviewers and my interview date and expressed my intent to attend
- second paragraph was basically why GW and how their mission and curriculum fit well with my goals
- third paragraph was what I would offer the school e.g. promote collaboration
- fourth paragraph was a brief update about my thesis, expressing my intent once again, and closing out with a generic salutation.

I turned it in after my WL notification. March 15th was my deadline.
Lol I don't remember my faculty interviewer! When I asked her for her email she said just send thank you emails to the admissions email... you guys think it's bad if I don't mention interviewers' names? I tried to do research into GW's staff and I think I've narrowed it down to Anne Linton, but I'm only 85% sure it was her... so I don't know if I should take that chance...

Lol I don't remember my faculty interviewer! When I asked her for her email she said just send thank you emails to the admissions email... you guys think it's bad if I don't mention interviewers' names? I tried to do research into GW's staff and I think I've narrowed it down to Anne Linton, but I'm only 85% sure it was her... so I don't know if I should take that chance...
It shouldn’t be a problem. You can just add that you learned so much about the school during your interview day on (add the date). Don’t take the risk of you aren’t sure.

Did anyone else on the waitlist just get a second email asking for a letter of interest? I just submitted my letter yesterday. I'm assuming it was a mistake but just want to make sure

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else on the waitlist just get a second email asking for a letter of interest? I just submitted my letter yesterday. I'm assuming it was a mistake but just want to make sure

I did, just seems like their system is a lil glitchy

Reactions: 2 users
Lol I don't remember my faculty interviewer! When I asked her for her email she said just send thank you emails to the admissions email... you guys think it's bad if I don't mention interviewers' names?

Hi - just wanted to double check this as GW's website says to use AMCAS but I'm assuming for additional ones it doesnt matter
They specifically said in the webinar that they want us to send additional LORs to that email so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

did you submit your update/LOI before 3/19? Then you are good. nobody on the waitlist heard back yet! If you did not submit by 3/19, i believe they automatically remove you from the waitlist
I didnt, but i sent an "update/LOI" before i was invited for interview so I didn't know if I had to do that again

For anyone applying for financial aid, do we need to submit the 4-5 forms it details on their aid website? I ask because the only thing that shows up on my student requirements in the portal is the FAFSA, which I have already submitted, so I am not sure if they need anything else besides, although the site says they do. Also, a lot of the stuff on these other forms is stuff that is included in the FAFSA

For anyone applying for financial aid, do we need to submit the 4-5 forms it details on their aid website? I ask because the only thing that shows up on my student requirements in the portal is the FAFSA, which I have already submitted, so I am not sure if they need anything else besides, although the site says they do. Also, a lot of the stuff on these other forms is stuff that is included in the FAFSA
so you need to submit the financial aid request form they have on the website, and you would also need to fill out the other forms if you are applying for a need based scholarship.

Also does anyone know the benefits of need-based scholarship vs federal aid? Please help! I know nothing about taxes and loans...

so you need to submit the financial aid request form they have on the website, and you would also need to fill out the other forms if you are applying for a need based scholarship.

Also does anyone know the benefits of need-based scholarship vs federal aid? Please help! I know nothing about taxes and loans...
Hey elijahR! So what ends up happening after you apply for need-based scholarship/institutional aid is that the school tries to offset some of the federal aid (loans at ~6% interest rate) needed to fund your education with institutional grants/scholarships. Unlike federal aid/loans, these grants/scholarships are free and you do not need to pay anything back! In terms of taxes, there probably isn’t much to worry about. Federal loans are untaxable, and any need-based scholarships you receive will also be untaxable, as long as it is going towards your tuition (I’m not sure about any scholarships covering cost of living, but I believe schools will generally direct scholarships towards tuition to avoid student tax liability). To summarize, need-based scholarship, although not a guarantee, has all the benefit over federal aid if you’re fortunate to get awarded one. Perhaps the “worst” outcome from getting awarded need-based scholarship is that you’ll have to send some emails to generous donors lol. Hope this helps! Anyone pls chime in if I wrongly stated/omitted anything

Hey everyone - interviewed on March 4th. Did anyone else interview on that day? Any idea when we can expect to hear back?

Hey everyone - interviewed on March 4th. Did anyone else interview on that day? Any idea when we can expect to hear back?
interviewed on March 5th and was told i got on the wait list last week.

There's at least 300 people on their waitlist. Scary:sick:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
How many people usually get in off of the waitlist here?

Would love to know the same. Also source for 300 people on the waitlist?

Still waiting to hear back from March 4th interview...

From what I know, it may be more than 300 unless GWU utilizes post II R more than we think. GW is known to interview around 1000 applicants, and assuming their class size is ~150, they probably accept 2x the class, so ~300. This leaves 700 people with either alternate or rejection. Considering that people are withdrawing and stuff, it’s probably less than 700 people on the waitlist, but it’s fairly big. But I did hear the waitlist movement at GW is also pretty decent. Nobody knows how decent though, theres no public info on this

From what I know, it may be more than 300 unless GWU utilizes post II R more than we think. GW is known to interview around 1000 applicants, and assuming their class size is ~150, they probably accept 2x the class, so ~300. This leaves 700 people with either alternate or rejection. Considering that people are withdrawing and stuff, it’s probably less than 700 people on the waitlist, but it’s fairly big. But I did hear the waitlist movement at GW is also pretty decent. Nobody knows how decent though, theres no public info on this
There was also over 200 people at the online info session for those on the waitlist

When we had a zoom session for those on waitlist it was around 275. I am assuming waaaay more got on it since this was weeks ago!
The number I saw was around 235 people on the alternate list zoom session. I could be wrong, but in any event, given at least around 235 people plus the amount of students who couldn't make it that day and those who have since been placed on the alternate list, the number is easily over 300. It could even be over 400.

The number I saw was around 235 people on the alternate list zoom session. I could be wrong, but in any event, given at least around 235 people plus the amount of students who couldn't make it that day and those who have since been placed on the alternate list, the number is easily over 300. It could even be over 400.
When was this webinar by the way? I got on the alternate list in Mid March and heard nothing about it.

Last edited:
When was this webinar by the way? I got on the waitlist in Mid March and heard nothing about it.
**Really long post -- GW Alternate List Webinar

Is the class full? Class is never full until they start for the year. Otherwise wouldn’t answer except that there will be WL movement. No differentiation between those on alt list in October vs. those on alt list in March. They will NOT provide any information on past years on the number of WLs given, number of acceptances off of the WL, and the percentage of people from the current class which came off of the WL.

How can i improve my chances? Send updates/letter of interest, but choose quality over quantity. Upload directly to portal instead of emailing unless you are updating on other school's duedates or something time sensitive. Please don’t show up at the school, and please don’t call. There is no way to see past updates, so you should save them yourself so that you are not repeating things, although if you do a little that’s OK.

If you have additional LORs you can have them send to the medadmit email directly, they should not call the office – make sure they include your full name and AMCAS ID#

Is the pool ranked? there is a private internal rank, you won’t know – rank is fluid however. They’re not always going to pick #1 for an opening, offers are contextual – if admitted student from CO withdraws, they won’t necessarily pick a WL student from CO.

If you want to be taken out of the alternate pool, it is NOT done in the portal, and you need to send an email. this will also happen if you choose “commit to enroll” at another institution

Movement will start by April 15 (deadline to drop to 3 As), typically none in march, bulk of movement oftentimes in May, slows down a LOT in June/July/August. They will eventually close the alternate pool and notify everyone (no ghosting). (My words here: GW talks more about that April 15th date than other schools do; seems lots of admitted applicants remove GW from their top 3 choices on this date).

If you apply for next year it in no way changes your status as an alternate. Encourage you to apply in June if still on WL with no As. If you are not accepted off the waitlist, there is no formal different consideration if you reapply, but it’s “never a bad thing” and the adcom does see it.

You may be contacted by email or by phone, ultimate acceptance letter will be sent by email. They may reach out to you and ask you questions if there is “impending” movement. They can always ask you if you are holding spots somewhere and what your priority list is. They will give you about 24 hours to respond if they reach out to talk to you. If you will have no phone/email access for extended times, you should reach out to them and identify someone else as a contact for them

**Choose Your Medical School Tool: More than 3 acceptances by April 15th—> you must drop down to 3 acceptances, you can stay on as many WLs as you choose as long as you don’t choose “commit to enroll.” After April 30th, you must choose 1 acceptance but can still be on as many WLs as you want provided you don’t choose commit to enroll. If you get new offers after that, you typically have about a week to decide. You can only accept an offer from GWs waitlist if the other school you are into you select “plan to enroll” and that other school does not start for at least 3 weeks/21 days. If you select “plan to enroll” but not “commit to enroll” GW could still see it but won’t see the name of the school. PTE doesn’t “mean a whole lot to them” at GW, so clicking PTE shouldn’t hurt your chances in the alternate pool. You don’t need to tread carefully with PTE, but you DO need to tread carefully with commit to enroll because then they can’t extend you an offer.

GW has some institutional financial aid forms to fill out, you should have that ready but DO NOT submit it unless you are accepted. Should fill out FAFSA now. You can be considered for merit scholarships off of the WL. Does getting in later off WL affect financial aid package? he claims it doesn’t and it will be expedited, the priority dates are not a problem

You can tell them about DO deadlines for deposits but they likely won’t move anything because of it

Kevin Nies’ speculations on the COVID med school cycle™ : April 15th & April 30th will still initiate most of the movement due to admitted students choosing other schools. In terms of virtual interviews, he would guess that the zero $$ cost of interviews this year means that more high-tier applicants are accepting more interviews, which could provide more space for alternate list applicants – yet doesn’t see that making giant waves in terms of alternate list movement.

Waitlisted students are never allowed to attend second look day, but there will be virtual recordings from second look day that will be made available.

There isn’t one particular day that the adcom meets or sends out decisions
Webinar was on Feb 24th. I believe you should have gotten a summary email from medadmit (I got mine on the 16th of March), and if not, I posted extensive notes from the webinar on this thread that I attached here^

Webinar was on Feb 24th. I believe you should have gotten a summary email from medadmit (I got mine on the 16th of March), and if not, I posted extensive notes from the webinar on this thread that I attached here^
Thanks! Yes, I got the summary,I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on a second webinar that could have happened. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Received the email this morning at 6:39AM CST. Alternate list.

• Care
Something is really weird. I wrote thanks in a post on here and it was posted as "bless you". I also recently wrote "alternate list" and when I posted it on here it was changed to "purgatory" lol.

It's not just me. Whenever someone writes wait list as one word it changes to purgatory

• Wow
  • Haha
Something is really weird. I wrote thanks in a post on here and it was posted as "bless you". I also recently wrote "alternate list" and when I posted it on here it was changed to "purgatory" lol.
its SDN trying to get fun with April Fools.. a tad unnecessary

Reactions: 3 users
Do we think the waitlist movement will start after April 15th? If we theoretically got in, how long would we have to decide?

Do we think the waitlist movement will start after April 15th? If we theoretically got in, how long would we have to decide?
You get about 2 weeks after the offer to accept. Based on the previous 2 years, movement will start around the last week of April. Two years ago was the 23rd and last year a few days later. Best of luck everyone! Holding out hope!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
were you on the waitlist?
Waitlist movement probably won't start until April 26th this year based on last year and the year before. Will probably have to wait until at least after the 15th.