2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok so it finally hit me that I will be a doctor.
This is the thing. I am an immigrant (Russian, since 2007). Had a mentor and friend who was the only person at a time who believed in me (even my parents were saying that i would fail). He died from metastatic melanoma that spread to his brain in 2013. That broke me because i could not help him. I promised that i will do SOMETHING to help ppl. Joined army as a behavioral health technician, got my citizenship. Got out, working with drug addicts helping them recover, going to school full time to finish degree in biochemistry. My clinical hours are measured in thousands. Applied 3 cycles in a row. Took MCAT 4 times (for some reason i thought I could take MCAT without ever taking organic chemistry... idiot :) only the 4th attempt was after taking all the prerequisites, which i had to explain SO MANY TIMES to admissions committee). INternship in pathology department in NIH. 5 interviews attended (1 cancelled), 3 WL, 2 pending decisions.... I am 33 year old female. today i got my first acceptance. Now i have a feeling I have at least one more coming. When i got that letter today at 2 pm i felt like I could not breath.... I was so happy, - sure. But it didnt really hit me. And then i get home after work, - of course i texted everyone, talked to everyone. I open a bottle of wine (sorry if this is inappropriate), start watching a movie, and then it HITS ME HARD. and i message my mentor's widow. and tell her everything. And how much he motivated me, and that he is the reason i am doing that. I wanted her and her two young daughters that he left behind (oldest just turned 14 - 6 years later after his death) to know that every i have done and everything that i will do is because of him. and NOW I AM SITTING IN THE KITCHEN AND CRYING. because i suddenly remembered that medicine is not about money, or prestige, it is about people that you have a chance to save, and people that you cannot. The ones you cannot save motivate you even harder to fight for the ones you CAN.

please, everyone. Remember that. Because, honestly, - i think that i forgot about that for a second, in the rush of the admissions cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
This is the thing. I am an immigrant (Russian, since 2007). Had a mentor and friend who was the only person at a time who believed in me (even my parents were saying that i would fail). He died from metastatic melanoma that spread to his brain in 2013. That broke me because i could not help him. I promised that i will do SOMETHING to help ppl. Joined army as a behavioral health technician, got my citizenship. Got out, working with drug addicts helping them recover, going to school full time to finish degree in biochemistry. My clinical hours are measured in thousands. Applied 3 cycles in a row. Took MCAT 4 times (for some reason i thought I could take MCAT without ever taking organic chemistry... idiot :) only the 4th attempt was after taking all the prerequisites, which i had to explain SO MANY TIMES to admissions committee). INternship in pathology department in NIH. 5 interviews attended (1 cancelled), 3 WL, 2 pending decisions.... I am 33 year old female. today i got my first acceptance. Now i have a feeling I have at least one more coming. When i got that letter today at 2 pm i felt like I could not breath.... I was so happy, - sure. But it didnt really hit me. And then i get home after work, - of course i texted everyone, talked to everyone. I open a bottle of wine (sorry if this is inappropriate), start watching a movie, and then it HITS ME HARD. and i message my mentor's widow. and tell her everything. And how much he motivated me, and that he is the reason i am doing that. I wanted her and her two young daughters that he left behind (oldest just turned 14 - 6 years later after his death) to know that every i have done and everything that i will do is because of him. and NOW I AM SITTING IN THE KITCHEN AND CRYING. because i suddenly remembered that medicine is not about money, or prestige, it is about people that you have a chance to save, and people that you cannot. The ones you cannot save motivate you even harder to fight for the ones you CAN.

please, everyone. Remember that. Because, honestly, - i think that i forgot about that for a second, in the rush of the admissions cycle.

Jesus H, that's so incredibly deep! Congratulations on becoming the person you always wanted to become.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Amazing. Congrats! :soexcited:

Holy ..... this is a good week for me!!! my third acceptance - Vermont, Connecticut campus. THis is crazy... my first interview was in OCTOBER... I had 5 interviews (cancel my 6th, because it was conflicting my job), and so far out of those 5 I have 3 acceptances and 2 waitlists :)))))). I cannot believe it.... this is insane. I was SO worried about my interviewing skills, since i had the 2 WL first, but i guess I am ok. Thank you for all of your support, everyone!!! i honestly would not be able to do this without this forum!

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations to you, (soon-to-be) Dr. Mmaslyanko :) Good luck with your school selection out of your Acceptances!

This is so weird. I gave my apartment complex notice that I will be moving (not sure where yet, but i am DEFINITELY moving), and i am so excited. Like, s**t just got real :))). it's happening.
Still waiting on two waitlists though.

Reactions: 1 users
This is so weird. I gave my apartment complex notice that I will be moving (not sure where yet, but i am DEFINITELY moving), and i am so excited. Like, s**t just got real :))). it's happening.
Still waiting on two waitlists though.
:highfive: Monumental point in your life. Soak it up. Take it as it comes. You're likely to have more of these moments in the next few months, lol. Let us know where you choose!

:highfive: Monumental point in your life. Soak it up. Take it as it comes. You're likely to have more of these moments in the next few months, lol. Let us know where you choose!
I am waiting on the results of who waitlists they are both higher on my list than the three acceptances. The school I was accepted to are AMAZING. Loved all the three of them !!! But these two were close to home , in state tuition in one of them , and they FELT like home , you know ? Really hopeful it will turn out the way I want it , but grateful that I already have amazing acceptances !!! Three years of application process paid off .

I am waiting on the results of who waitlists they are both higher on my list than the three acceptances. The school I was accepted to are AMAZING. Loved all the three of them !!! But these two were close to home , in state tuition in one of them , and they FELT like home , you know ? Really hopeful it will turn out the way I want it , but grateful that I already have amazing acceptances !!! Three years of application process paid off .
Hitting the jackpot this year! So gratifying. :)

I know what you mean about feeling like home. That's how I feel about my school. *Swoon*

Here's to more good news. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I got the HPSP scholarship. I’m waiting for institutional scholarship info. I’m still trying to decide between Quillen and USUHS. They are both great, but one of them is much better for my family. It’s a tough decision.

Reactions: 7 users
Okay so I got the HPSP scholarship. I’m waiting for institutional scholarship info. I’m still trying to decide between Quillen and USUHS. They are both great, but one of them is much better for my family. It’s a tough decision.
Congratulations!!!! I am rooting for you !
Go with what’s best for your family . This road will be hard enough for all of you guys (the whole family ), they deserve to be where they are happier

I agree with @mmaslyanko that you should keep what's best for your family a priority. Loans can be paid back, but happiness is priceless. I would imagine there is already going to be a lot of sacrifice on their part for your career as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Congrats on HPSP! All I can say is the DMV area is dope (if you can stand the traffic). Plus them fancy Montgomery County schools!

I have no say in the matter other than I interviewed for a different program in Quillen. I Immediately fell in love with the location

I have no say in the matter other than I interviewed for a different program in Quillen. I Immediately fell in love with the location

I also really liked the Quillen location. However, it's really remote from any of our family. We've had to live in a place like that before, and it was tough with small kids. My wife and kids have also made really good friends here, and USU is so close that we wouldn't have to move very far away--close enough that they could still see them once a week or so. Family has to be happy.

Nice! Same. We'll be sad to leave. Unless of course Maryland takes me off the WL, in which case I'll have a similarly tough decision :wideyed:

Yeah, Bethesda is close enough to VA that we could stay in VA, albeit a little closer to the border. That would be nice for many reasons.

I also really liked the Quillen location. However, it's really remote from any of our family. We've had to live in a place like that before, and it was tough with small kids. My wife and kids have also made really good friends here, and USU is so close that we wouldn't have to move very far away--close enough that they could still see them once a week or so. Family has to be happy.

Very true. Similar reasons I didn’t attend Quillen. Hope I don’t regret it lol

Hey team, looking for a little sanity check. I thought about putting something in "help me decide," but I think this forum offers a bit better advice/worldview since it's full of people closer to my situation - 35, family, 3 kids, 2 dogs, etc.

I was blessed to be accepted to Pitt and Michigan. For the longest time, I was sure that Pitt was my dream school, I applied to Mich as an afterthought. I have a sister in Pittsburgh, and the rest of my family (mom, sister and her family, etc.) live just a few hours away. Mich, however, does rolling admissions and from the minute you're accepted they overcommunicate like crazy. I got to learn a lot about the school and become sort of invested in it before I even found out about Pitt. When comparing their curricula and mission, I really feel like Michigan is a better fit.

But... I traveled with my family to visit both places over the last week. We visited schools that our kids would attend, and checked out the downtown areas and places we might live. A2 was simply 'meh.' The whole time we were there, I felt more like I was trying to like it because I should, rather than actually enjoying it. On the other hand, Pittsburgh was outstanding. We loved the kids' school, the neighborhoods, and got to spend great time with family. It was like night and day. I think I'd have a hard time justifying giving my family so much less just so I can go to a school I "think" might fit better.

Bottom line: I want to make the decision for Pitt, but am I crazy to turn down Michigan?

Hey team, looking for a little sanity check. I thought about putting something in "help me decide," but I think this forum offers a bit better advice/worldview since it's full of people closer to my situation - 35, family, 3 kids, 2 dogs, etc.

I was blessed to be accepted to Pitt and Michigan. For the longest time, I was sure that Pitt was my dream school, I applied to Mich as an afterthought. I have a sister in Pittsburgh, and the rest of my family (mom, sister and her family, etc.) live just a few hours away. Mich, however, does rolling admissions and from the minute you're accepted they overcommunicate like crazy. I got to learn a lot about the school and become sort of invested in it before I even found out about Pitt. When comparing their curricula and mission, I really feel like Michigan is a better fit.

But... I traveled with my family to visit both places over the last week. We visited schools that our kids would attend, and checked out the downtown areas and places we might live. A2 was simply 'meh.' The whole time we were there, I felt more like I was trying to like it because I should, rather than actually enjoying it. On the other hand, Pittsburgh was outstanding. We loved the kids' school, the neighborhoods, and got to spend great time with family. It was like night and day. I think I'd have a hard time justifying giving my family so much less just so I can go to a school I "think" might fit better.

Bottom line: I want to make the decision for Pitt, but am I crazy to turn down Michigan?

Do you mean would you be crazy to turn down Mich because it's a better mission fit on paper?? If so, LOL NO WUT absolutely not! You're looking at two top-ranked schools, one of which you've dreamed of attending, that would be better for your family, and that you loved when you visited. Go to Pitt!!!

Do you mean would you be crazy to turn down Mich because it's a better mission fit on paper?? If so, LOL NO WUT absolutely not! You're looking at two top-ranked schools, one of which you've dreamed of attending, that would be better for your family, and that you loved when you visited. Go to Pitt!!!

Essentially yes, but coupled with the fact that everyone else seems to think Michigan is a magical place of a med school.

Thank you for the comment though! I just want to bounce my sanity off someone outside my family, this helps.

What does your spouse think ?
Also - all even , I would go with what your spouse wants . They are the ones who will have to sacrifice the most .

What does your spouse think ?
Also - all even , I would go with what your spouse wants . They are the ones who will have to sacrifice the most .

Oh, she's all in for Pitt, but would go to Michigan if it meant a lot to me. You bring up a valid point. I don't think that Michigan matters more to me than everything Pittsburgh has to offer my family.

Oh, she's all in for Pitt, but would go to Michigan if it meant a lot to me. You bring up a valid point. I don't think that Michigan matters more to me than everything Pittsburgh has to offer my family.
Yeah , if i were you I would chose what my wife wanted . There will be so many other times when you HAVE to go against your family’s wishes because you won’t have a choice . Now you do , and it doesn’t seem like you are strongly connected to one school vs the other . Go for the school that your wife wants . Happy spouses make supportive spouses :))). And you need that in medical career

Essentially yes, but coupled with the fact that everyone else seems to think Michigan is a magical place of a med school.

Thank you for the comment though! I just want to bounce my sanity off someone outside my family, this helps.

Oh fair enough. I didn't know Michigan had that kind of reputation, but then I guess I have east coast bias built into my thinking lol. Also not to pile on, but Pitt also seems to have quite a higher proportion of non-trad (older) students, which could be another selling point! Either way, as tough as this decision is, it's a pretty awesome one to have to make :) Good luck!

I would go with the option that makes your family happier. I'm married with 5 kids (2 in college, 3 at home), and we built our school list around places where my husband could (hopefully) find a job, good schools for the kids, good housing options (we have a dog, husband needs breathing room from neighbors), etc. It's really important to me that my family (aka support system) be as happy as possible wherever I go to school, because the last thing I want is to feel guilty that my family is unhappy just for me to go to school.

Reactions: 3 users
Figured I'd pop in here! Barely non-trad - 26, but noticed that I felt a little different than the undergrads at a lot of my interviews. I'm trying to balance preparing for a re-application cycle with my SO's plans - we'd like to get married within the next couple years and trying to figure out our lives is largely dependent on the outcome of my application cycle! Don't know how you guys with families do it!

Reactions: 2 users
Figured I'd pop in here! Barely non-trad - 26, but noticed that I felt a little different than the undergrads at a lot of my interviews. I'm trying to balance preparing for a re-application cycle with my SO's plans - we'd like to get married within the next couple years and trying to figure out our lives is largely dependent on the outcome of my application cycle! Don't know how you guys with families do it!
You can do it. As mentioned many times on this site, keep improving your application. That said - you have two waitlists, there is still a solid chance you will begin med school this year. There should be movement in April/May as people release acceptances. Keep the faith!

My two cents as someone who ultimately ranked a school higher (and matched there) based on family is to do what is best for your family. The process is going to be long and hard on them and you, and being someplace that is better for them will ultimately be better for you and them both. My wife (and extended family) are all super excited about my chosen location (and they weren't about the school I was prematched to, although I was), which makes the whole thing feel so much better now that we are moving forward. I imagine if we were all moving forward with a sense of dread instead of a sense of excitement, this would be a scary time instead of a fun one.

Reactions: 2 users
My two cents as someone who ultimately ranked a school higher (and matched there) based on family is to do what is best for your family. The process is going to be long and hard on them and you, and being someplace that is better for them will ultimately be better for you and them both. My wife (and extended family) are all super excited about my chosen location (and they weren't about the school I was prematched to, although I was), which makes the whole thing feel so much better now that we are moving forward. I imagine if we were all moving forward with a sense of dread instead of a sense of excitement, this would be a scary time instead of a fun one.

Yeah my wife and I decided the same thing. We are heading to USUHS.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Oh ... well , better than nothing !!!

True. It would be nice if the clock didn’t stop. I’ll be an O-1E over 6 for 4 years lol.

And location is great .

Eh. Debatable. I like NOVA, but I’m not a huge fan of Maryland. But that’s a minor inconvenience that I’m mitigating by living across the river lol.

Lots of other pluses though.

Found out there was only one yellow ribbon program slot left at my school for next year. AND I GOT IT (after a couple nerve-wracking weeks waiting on VA paperwork...). That's another 20k per year for the first two years!!! Huge relief for me and my family. I might actually be happier now than after I got accepted lol.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Found out there was only one yellow ribbon program slot left at my school for next year. AND I GOT IT (after a couple nerve-wracking weeks waiting on VA paperwork...). That's another 20k per year for the first two years!!! Huge relief for me and my family. I might actually be happier now than after I got accepted lol.

Congrats, I had no idea that schools even capped the # of yellow ribbon slots.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats, I had no idea that schools even capped the # of yellow ribbon slots.

Thanks! Yeah, seems to depend on the school. The # of slots and amount offered vary A LOT. Since there are so few veteran matriculants, and even fewer who use the GI Bill, I dunno if schools cap the slots because they're being frugal or because the demand just isn't there.

Thanks! Yeah, seems to depend on the school. The # of slots and amount offered vary A LOT. Since there are so few veteran matriculants, and even fewer who use the GI Bill, I dunno if schools cap the slots because they're being frugal or because the demand just isn't there.

I’m betting they do it because of the former and justify it using the latter lol.

• Haha