2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How's everyone weighing factors (cost/aid offers, proximity to family/SO, cool city/location, how the school treats its students... etc) in choosing between acceptances? I'm still waiting to hear from one school, but April 30 is approaching and I think I need to finally rank my in-hand acceptances. I'm having a hard time deciding what weight to put on different factors when I make the decision matrix.

Members don't see this ad.

How's everyone weighing factors (cost/aid offers, proximity to family/SO, cool city/location, how the school treats its students... etc) in choosing between acceptances? I'm still waiting to hear from one school, but April 30 is approaching and I think I need to finally rank my in-hand acceptances. I'm having a hard time deciding what weight to put on different factors when I make the decision matrix.

Proximity to family for support, financials, and the overall curriculum (shortened preclinicals, hands on rotations, etc.) were at the top of my list.

I did proximity , then match list snd step scores , then research opportunities , then cost

Members don't see this ad :)
I did proximity , then match list snd step scores , then research opportunities , then cost

Match lists are essentially worthless for most schools. There are tons of confounding factors and missing data that makes it really hard to interpret them in any meaningful way.

Match lists are essentially worthless for most schools. There are tons of confounding factors and missing data that makes it really hard to interpret them in any meaningful way.
I look at them to see geographical distribution and also competitiveness of specialties .

On a different note - 23 days till move date

Luckily, my number one choice was pretty much first on the list for all of those criteria. One school offered better geographical proximity to family but since they didn't invite me, it was a non-starter, lol. Also, tbh, even if they had, it would have taken a lot to sway me from my top choice. I don't really see any scenario that would have put me in a position to not rank the school I am matriculating to as my top choice.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive @mmaslyanko @esob thx for the responses guys. I don't know why this is so hard for me, usually I have a pretty clear gut feel. It's almost like I'm considering too many factors at this point and it's confounding the results.

Reactions: 1 user
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @mmaslyanko @esob thx for the responses guys. I don't know why this is so hard for me, usually I have a pretty clear gut feel. It's almost like I'm considering too many factors at this point and it's confounding the results.
It is so hard because this is one of the most important decisions in your career .:) it IS supposed to be hard

Reactions: 1 users

It’s okay that it’s hard. It’s a big decision. Make a pros and cons list for each school. That helped me.

I have a dumb question, and can't find it through a search, but don't want to ask in a completely new thread, either. If I have loans from undergrad (only one year) and grad school (two years), that don't total that much, but still some... does that impact my ability to borrow for medical school? The GI Bill won't cover the insane cost of medical school, haven't been approved for VRE yet, and I don't want to hit year three only to find out I can't borrow any more money because of some rule that I somehow missed about a cap on dollar amount or years of available loans for graduate students.

I have a dumb question, and can't find it through a search, but don't want to ask in a completely new thread, either. If I have loans from undergrad (only one year) and grad school (two years), that don't total that much, but still some... does that impact my ability to borrow for medical school? The GI Bill won't cover the insane cost of medical school, haven't been approved for VRE yet, and I don't want to hit year three only to find out I can't borrow any more money because of some rule that I somehow missed about a cap on dollar amount or years of available loans for graduate students.
I don't know anything about service-related money, but I know that the federal government doesn't care how much money you owe when awarding financial aid! Fill out Fafsa and gradPLUS asap if you are gonna go this route though

@Goro i am sorry to bother you, but do you have the answer by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still in shock that several schools were willing to take a chance on an old lady. It's been a great cycle.

But then again, with nearly a year having passed since writing my primary and secondary, when I re-read them, apart from my age, I think I fit my school's mission as if we were designed for each other.

Reactions: 3 users
Bump. How’re the non-trads doing?
Was accepted to 3 great schools, but was really praying for my home in state school that i was WLed in. My wish came true, when i got that call a few weeks ago! so happy. now i am finishing my finals, and preparing for moving to norfolk. Next week i will go shopping for scrubs, - somehow this is what makes it real for me. hahahha. i FINALLY start feeling like it is actually happening. Before it was mostly just a fog

Reactions: 4 users
Was accepted to 3 great schools, but was really praying for my home in state school that i was WLed in. My wish came true, when i got that call a few weeks ago! so happy. now i am finishing my finals, and preparing for moving to norfolk. Next week i will go shopping for scrubs, - somehow this is what makes it real for me. hahahha. i FINALLY start feeling like it is actually happening. Before it was mostly just a fog

You have to buy your own scrubs?

I took my last final today. We sign the commissioning paperwork a week today and then have the ceremony the week after that. Then I’m off to officer development school in June. Then we have to move in July and start school August 1.

Going to be a whirlwind couple of months.

Reactions: 2 users
Life is great! As with most things in life, I'm not following the plan I expected when this journey started, but I think it turned out to be a much better one. We just had an accepted offer on soon-to-be our new house in Pittsburgh, and I start clearing out of the Army next week (of course, I'll be redoing my oath the day after my transition leave ends - hooray for bureaucracy!)

Staying with the theme of happiness/thankfulness - this thread has been great, thanks for all those who commented. It has really bucked the cynical trend found elsewhere on SDN.

I hit the Commit to Enroll button on my school this morning, after confirming my final waitlist withdrawal. This has been a six-year journey for me, which I know all of you can appreciate. It's been really difficult for me to celebrate my success up until now, because of all the uncertainty with where I would be going and the complexity of my family situation. But I finally feel relief, and like I can actually celebrate!

But alas, now the fear of actually succeeding in med school and the imposter syndrome is setting in. If it's not one thing it's another. LOL

Reactions: 6 users
I hit the Commit to Enroll button on my school this morning, after confirming my final waitlist withdrawal. This has been a six-year journey for me, which I know all of you can appreciate. It's been really difficult for me to celebrate my success up until now, because of all the uncertainty with where I would be going and the complexity of my family situation. But I finally feel relief, and like I can actually celebrate!

But alas, now the fear of actually succeeding in med school and the imposter syndrome is setting in. If it's not one thing it's another. LOL
I hear you on the imposter syndrome. I’m getting it from starting med school and commissioning. After being enlisted for 7 years, the officer uniforms look like I’m pretending to be something I’m not lol.

Congrats to everyone who got in this year!!! Any words of wisdom/encouragement for those of us still grinding and trying to balance work/life/MCAT?

You have to buy your own scrubs?

I took my last final today. We sign the commissioning paperwork a week today and then have the ceremony the week after that. Then I’m off to officer development school in June. Then we have to move in July and start school August 1.

Going to be a whirlwind couple of months.
yeah, they told us that we have to buy 2 pairs of scrubs for anatomy lab (any color), and a pair of comfortable shoes. Then, after semester starts, we need to buy stethoscope. I dont mind buying them, - i think it is actually better, because i can pick the ones i like. They sell them in walmart pretty cheap.
yeah, i have the last final tomorrow, then two projects, and done. So exciting. after that, my new goal is to get back in shape before medical school starts. When i was in the army i was RIPPED. 6 pack and everything, i had 295 PT score. Then i definitely let myself go. Now, i have a goal to reinvent myself physically and mentally before medical school. I have been thinking a lot about what kind of person i want be, what kind of values i want to have, etc. Now is time for change and improvement :).

Good luck with officer's school! what is it gonna be like?

Congrats to everyone who got in this year!!! Any words of wisdom/encouragement for those of us still grinding and trying to balance work/life/MCAT?
apply early. as early as possible. Every day counts.
when preparing for MCAT dont spend too much time on books, - go through questions instead (by them on AAMC or somewhere else). Do 50-60 questions, right down the concepts that you got wrong. Take a break. Then sit down and go through EACH CONCEPT very very well. Like, be able to teach it if you have to. Next day, - do it again, with next 50 questions. Take full length practice exams at least a few time. Honestly, one of the hardest things about MCAT is not even the material, - it is sitting for 7 hours, staring at the screen. Doing several practice tests will help you develop that stamina.

Make sure you have enough voluteering hours, and research. and DEFINITELY a lot of clinical experience.

Learn to study well, - figure out what studying methods work best for you, and stick to them. Dont be afraid to try something new, but learn how your brain works. This will help you during MCAT prep.

watch Khan academy for MCAT prep.

Watch Kevin Ahern interview preparation on youtube for interview preparation.

Get a few people to read you essays, especially primary. I saw people with great stats not get much because of poor essays.

yeah, it took me 6 years as well... i can definitely relate. When i hit that CTE button, it definitely got real. Wait till you start filling out all the paperwork, then it will DEFINITELY feel real. hahahaha.

apply early. as early as possible. Every day counts.
when preparing for MCAT dont spend too much time on books, - go through questions instead (by them on AAMC or somewhere else). Do 50-60 questions, right down the concepts that you got wrong. Take a break. Then sit down and go through EACH CONCEPT very very well. Like, be able to teach it if you have to. Next day, - do it again, with next 50 questions. Take full length practice exams at least a few time. Honestly, one of the hardest things about MCAT is not even the material, - it is sitting for 7 hours, staring at the screen. Doing several practice tests will help you develop that stamina.

Make sure you have enough voluteering hours, and research. and DEFINITELY a lot of clinical experience.

Learn to study well, - figure out what studying methods work best for you, and stick to them. Dont be afraid to try something new, but learn how your brain works. This will help you during MCAT prep.

watch Khan academy for MCAT prep.

Watch Kevin Ahern interview preparation on youtube for interview preparation.

Get a few people to read you essays, especially primary. I saw people with great stats not get much because of poor essays.
Thanks! As far as applying early. I pretty much have everything good to go except my MCAT score. And I have had multiple attempts before. I'm currently planning to take the MCAT mid to late August and apply (my prep course ends in July). Do you think in this case it would be more advisable to apply after getting my MCAT score back? (Mid to late September). Or go ahead and apply early and indicate my test date of August? My fear is getting rejected before my new score comes in as apposed to applying relatively late (September) but having a strong score.

Thanks! As far as applying early. I pretty much have everything good to go except my MCAT score. And I have had multiple attempts before. I'm currently planning to take the MCAT mid to late August and apply (my prep course ends in July). Do you think in this case it would be more advisable to apply after getting my MCAT score back? (Mid to late September). Or go ahead and apply early and indicate my test date of August? My fear is getting rejected before my new score comes in as apposed to applying relatively late (September) but having a strong score.
I say submit your application early with a school that you really don’t care about . It takes them weeks sometimes to check your academic stuff . And then , once you get your Mcat score , add schools you like

I say submit your application early with a school that you really don’t care about . It takes them weeks sometimes to check your academic stuff . And then , once you get your Mcat score , add schools you like
Awesome. Okay I'll do that. That way everything is processed and ready to go whenever my MCAT score drops. I see. Thanks!

And my game plan is do everything for the PR prep course, do AAMC Q banks (I want want to do them like 2 or 3x) and UWorld questions, Khan academy videos. List stuff I don't know like you said to do. And if I still don't absorb make anki flash cards for stuff that seems to not stick.

Awesome. Okay I'll do that. That way everything is processed and ready to go whenever my MCAT score drops. I see. Thanks!

And my game plan is do everything for the PR prep course, do AAMC Q banks (I want want to do them like 2 or 3x) and UWorld questions, Khan academy videos. List stuff I don't know like you said to do. And if I still don't absorb make anki flash cards for stuff that seems to not stick.
Sounds like a very solid plan !!! Good luck !!! You will do great .
Keep us posted !!

I gave my clinic my 4 month notice a couple of weeks ago. I started my specialty service and it is going to be hard to find a replacement since the community of certified or trained clinicians is small. Our volume is so high now that they want two folks to replace me. I love what I do and I love my patients. Leaving is going to be bittersweet.

Financial aid is in and was adjusted for dependent care so that is nice! I will not have to work as much during medical school now. :D

I am currently finishing up three prerequisite classes (Physics III, Biochem II and a biology class), parenting and working 40+ hours every week. I will be happy once the middle of June is here so I have a break before classes begin in August. What a crazy ride. I am thankful I made it in to a top school on my first try after deciding to take this path in January 2018. I also applied in October.

It had been lovely seeing all of the support on this thread. I am looking forward to mentoring those who come behind me. :) <3

@Kojo90 - The University of Washington School of Medicine has FANTASTIC ethics scenarios and a ton of interview questions on their page that you may want to look at before you interview. When preparing your application, checkout the videos from the Dean(s). Superb advice.

Congratulations, y'all!

• Love
I gave my clinic my 4 month notice a couple of weeks ago. I started my specialty service and it is going to be hard to find a replacement since the community of certified or trained clinicians is small. Our volume is so high now that they want two folks to replace me. I love what I do and I love my patients. Leaving is going to be bittersweet.

Financial aid is in and was adjusted for dependent care so that is nice! I will not have to work as much during medical school now. :D

I am currently finishing up three prerequisite classes (Physics III, Biochem II and a biology class), parenting and working 40+ hours every week. I will be happy once the middle of June is here so I have a break before classes begin in August. What a crazy ride. I am thankful I made it in to a top school on my first try after deciding to take this path in January 2018.

It had been lovely seeing all of the support on this thread. I am looking forward to mentoring those who come behind me. :)
@Kojo90 - The University of Washington School of Medicine has FANTASTIC ethics scenarios and a ton of interview questions on their page that you may want to look at before you interview. When preparing your application, checkout the videos from the Dean(s). Superb advice.

Congratulations, y'all!
Thanks! It's awesome seeing that you were able to juggle all that. I my need to PM you for some time management tips lol

I am currently finishing up three prerequisite classes (Physics III, Biochem II and a biology class), parenting and working 40+ hours every week. I will be happy once the middle of June is here so I have a break before classes begin in August. What a crazy ride. I am thankful I made it in to a top school on my first try after deciding to take this path in January 2018. I also applied in October.

It had been lovely seeing all of the support on this thread. I am looking forward to mentoring those who come behind me. :)

Congratulations, y'all!
I tried to PM you but it would not let me

@Matthew9Thirtyfive 8II/6 attending/ and 5 acceptances i think i had a pretty good cycle considering i am a reinventor with cGPA of 3.05. my base public affairs just interviewed me today for a feature story. looking forward to joining you in USU this fall. now if i can only get my orders so i can start outprocessing ...

Reactions: 4 users
@Matthew9Thirtyfive 8II/6 attending/ and 5 acceptances i think i had a pretty good cycle considering i am a reinventor with cGPA of 3.05. my base public affairs just interviewed me today for a feature story. looking forward to joining you in USU this fall. now if i can only get my orders so i can start outprocessing ...

I just sent my detailer my background sheet to get my orders moving. What are your COT dates? We get back from ODS the first week of July so I'll have a nice little break to move and stuff.

It had been lovely seeing all of the support on this thread. I am looking forward to mentoring those who come behind me. :) <3

Congratulations, y'all!

The university of Washington website was one of the reason I had such a great success. I wrote my experience section how they recommend and I think it made all the difference between this cycle and last. It was tough turning down the school and I think if I didn’t have so much time in all ready i would be matriculating there is fall rather than USU

The university of Washington website was one of the reason I had such a great success. I wrote my experience section how they recommend and I think it made all the difference between this cycle and last. It was tough turning down the school and I think if I didn’t have so much time in all ready i would be matriculating there is fall rather than USU
Saying no to any school, much less a Top 10, after being worried about getting in at all is tough! I probably would have chosen to also continue my time if I had already served. Get those benefits!

yeah, they told us that we have to buy 2 pairs of scrubs for anatomy lab (any color), and a pair of comfortable shoes. Then, after semester starts, we need to buy stethoscope. I dont mind buying them, - i think it is actually better, because i can pick the ones i like. They sell them in walmart pretty cheap.
yeah, i have the last final tomorrow, then two projects, and done. So exciting. after that, my new goal is to get back in shape before medical school starts. When i was in the army i was RIPPED. 6 pack and everything, i had 295 PT score. Then i definitely let myself go. Now, i have a goal to reinvent myself physically and mentally before medical school. I have been thinking a lot about what kind of person i want be, what kind of values i want to have, etc. Now is time for change and improvement :).

Good luck with officer's school! what is it gonna be like?

The funny thing for me is that the stress of this past application cycle gave me 6 pack abs. I lift heavy and lose my appetite when stressed.

I’m in a really great place right now, I was accepted off the waitlist to my top choice on May 2nd. Now just planning a cross country move with my husband and 2 kids and working as much as I can on my blog before classes start.

The funny thing for me is that the stress of this past application cycle gave me 6 pack abs. I lift heavy and lose my appetite when stressed.

I’m in a really great place right now, I was accepted off the waitlist to my top choice on May 2nd. Now just planning a cross country move with my husband and 2 kids and working as much as I can on my blog before classes start.
Send some of those fitness vibes this way lol. I need to hit the gym more often.

I am so jealous ... when I get stressed I eat EVERYTHING!!! Sucks.... I need to loose 40 pounds to get back in shape . Hahaha

I am so jealous ... when I get stressed I eat EVERYTHING!!! Sucks.... I need to loose 40 pounds to get back in shape . Hahaha

Back when I used to do fitness competitions, I would slim down quickly by carb cycling. I used to do 3 days no carbs and then load up for 1-2 days.

Back when I used to do fitness competitions, I would slim down quickly by carb cycling. I used to do 3 days no carbs and then load up for 1-2 days.
i switched to vegan diet recently, so as a vegan i cannot really do that. Or i'll die. hahaha. But i did hear great things about it!

Recently started counting calories. Nad measuring food by the cup lol. I have a healthy diet but the portions are hard to control due to me being used to binge eating to keep my weight up for football etc lol

i switched to vegan diet recently, so as a vegan i cannot really do that. Or i'll die. hahaha. But i did hear great things about it!

I was raw vegan for 3 years and then switched over to paleo.

I feel this so hard. I think I celebrated my acceptance for all of 8 hours and then the reality of the logistics of what had to happen to even get to the first day of class set in and I kind of panicked. And then I took a deep breath and thought, "Welcome to the next 7+ years of your life. The hurdles will never end. Might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride!"

Reactions: 6 users