2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel this so hard. I think I celebrated my acceptance for all of 8 hours and then the reality of the logistics of what had to happen to even get to the first day of class set in and I kind of panicked. And then I took a deep breath and thought, "Welcome to the next 7+ years of your life. The hurdles will never end. Might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride!"
hahahah. I thought it is just me. I called a few apartment complexes to try to get an apartment at least, and they said that it is way too early... They were talking to me like i was a clueless neurotic person. hahaha. i think for me moving and getting settled is the most stressful part.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel this so hard. I think I celebrated my acceptance for all of 8 hours and then the reality of the logistics of what had to happen to even get to the first day of class set in and I kind of panicked. And then I took a deep breath and thought, "Welcome to the next 7+ years of your life. The hurdles will never end. Might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride!"
hahahah. I thought it is just me. I called a few apartment complexes to try to get an apartment at least, and they said that it is way too early... They were talking to me like i was a clueless neurotic person. hahaha. i think for me moving and getting settled is the most stressful part.

I have my moments of enjoying the ride, and then I just get stressed again! I think once I've determined exactly where my daughter will go to school I will be able to take my next big breath of relief. And I feel you on the finding a place dilemma. I've been looking as well, but it's too early for a mid-July move-in date.

Reactions: 1 user
I have my moments of enjoying the ride, and then I just get stressed again! I think once I've determined exactly where my daughter will go to school I will be able to take my next big breath of relief. And I feel you on the finding a place dilemma. I've been looking as well, but it's too early for a mid-July move-in date.
Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor!!! I'm sure you will crush it at the next level. No need to let imposter syndrome sneak in.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah... i want to move even later - i want to move on august 3rd.... so it is WAY too early

I’m in the same boat, i’m stressing about finding a school for my 2 boys, and figuring out the logistics of moving across the country. Classes start July 15 for me so i’m rushing to get everything done.

I’m in the same boat, i’m stressing about finding a school for my 2 boys, and figuring out the logistics of moving across the country. Classes start July 15 for me so i’m rushing to get everything done.
And here I was sweating a July 29 start date. Yikes for you.

I don't know how old your kids are, but one of my worries is what my teenager is going to do for the rest of the summer in a strange new place while I'm at school all day/studying all night and my husband works. I'm sure it will be fine. :bored:

I don't know how old your kids are, but one of my worries is what my teenager is going to do for the rest of the summer in a strange new place while I'm at school all day/studying all night and my husband works. I'm sure it will be fine. :bored:

My boys are 3 and 6, but luckily my husband works from home, so he’s always around. I signed a lease today so that’s one thing off my to do list. Next I have to figure out their schools and maybe summer camp.

My boys are 3 and 6, but luckily my husband works from home, so he’s always around. I signed a lease today so that’s one thing off my to do list. Next I have to figure out their schools and maybe summer camp.
Right there with y’all! Lease is signed, now on to registering for new schools and setting up summer activities...2 boys (15 & 16) are doing band camp from mid July until school starts.

Our older teen (18) will be transferring to a new college to be with us, and job hunting this summer. Our youngest (12.5) is requesting hockey camp. Orientation is 7/23 for me with classes starting 7/29.

We’ve got this!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Right there with y’all! Lease is signed, now on to registering for new schools and setting up summer activities...2 boys (15 & 16) are doing band camp from mid July until school starts.

Our older teen (18) will be transferring to a new college to be with us, and job hunting this summer. Our youngest (12.5) is requesting hockey camp. Orientation is 7/23 for me with classes starting 7/29.

We’ve got this!
Reading all of your posts makes me realize that my situation is not as stressful as I thought - my cat is not requesting a hokey camp , and all my dog wants is her chair :)

Reactions: 3 users
Reading all of your posts makes me realize that my situation is not as stressful as I thought - my cat is not requesting a hokey camp , and all my dog wants is her chair :)
I realize that my situation sounds stressful to those who don’t have large families, and extremely stressful to traditional students who just have to pack and go, but it’s not stressful for me...I’ve been at this a long time. ;)

I realize that my situation sounds stressful to those who don’t have large families, and extremely stressful to traditional students who just have to pack and go, but it’s not stressful for me...I’ve been at this a long time. ;)
i am a very non-traditional student, - immigrant (immigrated alone), 33 yo, army vet, so i did a lot of moving and life changing things. So it doesnt really phase me much. The only thing that does is that i just broke up with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago, and we lived together, and he moved to california. So now i have to figure out how to save up enough money for move (i am working full time at a very stressful job), and how to negotiate with his mom the time she could send the movers to pick up stuff. So money is a big stressor, and just physically moving 1 bedroom apartment with a dog, cat, and 3 aquariums 3 hours away by myself. Even logistically. LIke, i have to think about things like "i cannot drink any liquids, because i wont be able to stop, since i am driving alone." that sort of stuff. So, i would call it logistically and financial stressors, but definitely not the emotional ones, if it makes any sense. But for a traditional student right out of college it must be really stressful, especially if they didnt have to move for college. My heart goes out to them.

i am a very non-traditional student, - immigrant (immigrated alone), 33 yo, army vet, so i did a lot of moving and life changing things. So it doesnt really phase me much. The only thing that does is that i just broke up with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago, and we lived together, and he moved to california. So now i have to figure out how to save up enough money for move (i am working full time at a very stressful job), and how to negotiate with his mom the time she could send the movers to pick up stuff. So money is a big stressor, and just physically moving 1 bedroom apartment with a dog, cat, and 3 aquariums 3 hours away by myself. Even logistically. LIke, i have to think about things like "i cannot drink any liquids, because i wont be able to stop, since i am driving alone." that sort of stuff. So, i would call it logistically and financial stressors, but definitely not the emotional ones, if it makes any sense. But for a traditional student right out of college it must be really stressful, especially if they didnt have to move for college. My heart goes out to them.
Your situation sounds very stressful to me. Some of the benefits of being married with teenagers are that I don’t have to do the driving, moving and packing/unpacking alone, I have loads of muscle, and someone to help share the financial burden. I couldn’t imagine doing it on my own, much less with a menagerie of animals, haha.

• Haha
Your situation sounds very stressful to me. Some of the benefits of being married with teenagers are that I don’t have to do the driving, moving and packing/unpacking alone, I have loads of muscle, and someone to help share the financial burden. I couldn’t imagine doing it on my own, much less with a menagerie of animals, haha.
yeah, it is practically a zoo here. Did i also mention 20 plants? :) so yeah, doing it alone sucks. Sometimes i wish i was 23, with just my clothes that i could stuff in the back of the car. ahhh. but i do love my life, and it is exactly how i want it to be right now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind me asking, what school are you matriculating at?

That's an early start! Glad to hear you signed a lease though. That's a great thing to check off the list. I'm heading to my new city next week to check out a potential private school for my daughter. The public school system there is very hit or miss with a lottery system (for which I've missed all deadlines because they were pre-acceptance) so really crossing my fingers this works out.

That's an early start! Glad to hear you signed a lease though. That's a great thing to check off the list. I'm heading to my new city next week to check out a potential private school for my daughter. The public school system there is very hit or miss with a lottery system (for which I've missed all deadlines because they were pre-acceptance) so really crossing my fingers this works out.

The school I really wanted for my kids is also a lottery system, but missed all their deadlines. And then realized today that age requirements are very different. In NYC a child has to be 4 by November, but where we are moving to they have to be 4 by Aug 31, so my son no longer qualifies for pre-k. At least I found a 2nd grade seat for my 6 year old.

Bought a new house this weekend, will be moving in just a few short weeks. Selling my current home was nerve-wracking, but now that we are passed that stage, everything else feels like smooth sailing.

Bought a new house this weekend, will be moving in just a few short weeks. Selling my current home was nerve-wracking, but now that we are passed that stage, everything else feels like smooth sailing.
congratulations!
my weekend was eventful too!! I packed 2 boxes of DVDs and cleaned an aquarium. hahahaha

• Love
congratulations!
my weekend was eventful too!! I packed 2 boxes of DVDs and cleaned an aquarium. hahahaha

Haha, I literally jumped on a plane, flew to the new school area, bought a house and then flew back and slept in my own bed :D I'm trying to work on my efficiency skills before med school starts :p

• Haha
Haha, I literally jumped on a plane, flew to the new school area, bought a house and then flew back and slept in my own bed :D I'm trying to work on my efficiency skills before med school starts :p
Exactly my point . You did all that , and I did nothing . Well , I did work for 18 hours yesterday and today . And knit 1/8th of a scarf :)))

Exactly my point . You did all that , and I did nothing . Well , I did work for 18 hours yesterday and today . And knit 1/8th of a scarf :)))

Haha, yeah, I got it, I was just pointing out how hectic it is for all of us non-trads. Even your "slow" day was hectic compared to what most MS0's are doing. And also, I'm not sure trad students even know what DVD's are. Imagine one looking at it and saying "how do I make this work with my Roku?" :p

• Haha
Haha, yeah, I got it, I was just pointing out how hectic it is for all of us non-trads. Even your "slow" day was hectic compared to what most MS0's are doing. And also, I'm not sure trad students even know what DVD's are. Imagine one looking at it and saying "how do I make this work with my Roku?" :p
Hey , I used actual floppy disks . THE BIG ONES!!!!

• Haha
Hey , I used actual floppy disks . THE BIG ONES!!!!
And VHS tapes, and cassettes...remember 8-track, or does that make me REALLY old?

Man, I'm so old that VHS was a massive leap forward in technology; before that, I just watched snow on the TV and caught clips of audio now and again. To this day, I can't be sure the cold war actually happened, as I had no access to media to prove it :D

Honestly, a true story about my 1st real run-in with medicine was when I got hives as a kid, got rushed to the hospital, then had to be intubutated (that kinda sucked), but subsequently got ice cream and...wait for it....nickelodeon on a fancy corded remote control. I was hooked, after that, I knew the hospital was simply the greatest place on earth :D

Man, I'm so old that VHS was a massive leap forward in technology; before that, I just watched snow on the TV and caught clips of audio now and again. To this day, I can't be sure the cold war actually happened, as I had no access to media to prove it :D

Honestly, a true story about my 1st real run-in with medicine was when I got hives as a kid, got rushed to the hospital, then had to be intubutated (that kinda sucked), but subsequently got ice cream and...wait for it....nickelodeon on a fancy corded remote control. I was hooked, after that, I knew the hospital was simply the greatest place on earth :D
i clearly remember training my grandmother what button to push to record the show, since she was the only one home :))

I also remember learning Norton Commander and DOS in high school :))) anyone else does?

i clearly remember training my grandmother what button to push to record the show, since she was the only one home :))

I also remember learning Norton Commander and DOS in high school :))) anyone else does?
DOS yes, Norton Commander sounds less familiar.

I was in the gifted program at school and we were the first ones to receive a computer. Ever. In the whole school system. It ran MS-DOS and games like the original Oregon trail, Carmen San Diego, and an operation game I was obsessed with in 7th grade.

I don't remember Norton Commander either, but definitely grew up eating DOS for breakfast. We had Oregon trail and I was woefully unimpressed with it at the time. I remember thinking what a terrible investment my parents had made in buying a computer, lol. But then I realized I could talk to other nerds across the world via compuserve and I thought, "this is going to revolutionize the world" :D

Is there a one-stop-shop resource that gives you everything you need to know about federal loans, grad PLUS loans, where to find interest rates, how to only take partial loans, etc?

Also, if you take loans the first 2 years but then are able to not take it your last two years, do you have to start paying back? Or are you good for as long as you're full-time?

Is there a one-stop-shop resource that gives you everything you need to know about federal loans, grad PLUS loans, where to find interest rates, how to only take partial loans, etc?

Also, if you take loans the first 2 years but then are able to not take it your last two years, do you have to start paying back? Or are you good for as long as you're full-time?
Your financial aid office will probably be the best resource for some of these questions. From what I understand, you don't have to begin paying back until you are no longer a student.

The FA office will build your package, which will explain the various loans. The ones I've spoken with were clear they didn't want students to take any loans they didn't have to.

Went shopping for a professional looking wardrobe. Once med school starts, I won’t be living in gym attire anymore. It’s starting to feel real: I’m going to be a doctor!

Went shopping for a professional looking wardrobe. Once med school starts, I won’t be living in gym attire anymore. It’s starting to feel real: I’m going to be a doctor!
have you bought scrubs yet?
I have to either lose 20 pounds, or buy new wardrobe..... I am trying to lose 20 pounds, cause I have a few really nice suits.... would be a shame.

• Haha
I have to either lose 20 pounds, or buy new wardrobe..... I am trying to lose 20 pounds, cause I have a few really nice suits.... would be a shame.

I haven’t purchased any scrubs. Going to wait until orientation to see if I even have to buy any. For now, I just know I have to be business professional when working with patients.

I haven’t purchased any scrubs. Going to wait until orientation to see if I even have to buy any. For now, I just know I have to be business professional when working with patients.
for my school they gave us the list of stuff to buy - scrubs (for anatomy lab), comfortable shoes, stethoscope. :)I know it sounds so stupid, but I am so excited about buying scrubs. Somehow it is the scrubs that make me feel that this is all happening.

Ugh, I need to lose 20 pounds too, but when I do, I actually won’t fit into any of my professional attire anymore.

HAHA this resonated with me for real. I popped out a kid three weeks ago and the prospect of having to buy new professional clothes before school starts is motivation #1 for losing this baby weight :laugh:

Ugh, I need to lose 20 pounds too, but when I do, I actually won’t fit into any of my professional attire anymore.
oh, so you bought a new wardrobe AFTER gaining weight... Sucks.... it is easier for me because I am motivated to lose weight to save money. But I really hate working out.... also, I am motivated to loose weight to look younger. As an older matriculant, I feel the pressure to look younger.
and I actually need to loose 40 pounds to fit into ALL of my clothes, but at least 20 to fit into SOME. :)))

HAHA this resonated with me for real. I popped out a kid three weeks ago and the prospect of having to buy new professional clothes before school starts is motivation #1 for losing this baby weight :laugh:
Congratulations!!!! that sounds wonderful.
As far as the weight, - you made a human!!!! I just drank beer and ate pizza....

• Haha

Congrats! It’s definitely a great motivator. After my 2nd, I lost the weight quickly because I didn’t want to buy new clothes. Breastfeeding helped; making milk burns tons of calories.

oh, so you bought a new wardrobe AFTER gaining weight... Sucks.... it is easier for me because I am motivated to lose weight to save money. But I really hate working out.... also, I am motivated to loose weight to look younger. As an older matriculant, I feel the pressure to look younger.
and I actually need to loose 40 pounds to fit into ALL of my clothes, but at least 20 to fit into SOME. :)))
Yeah, I packed on the pounds when I went back to college. Before that I spent all my time chasing kids and doing the baseball/soccer/band/cross country/PTA mom thing. Got an office gig as my Graduate Assistant position and voila...large office wear, lol.

I also need to get in shape before school, and set up healthy habits for sanity’s sake.

I feel ya on the looking younger thing too. We took an informal Facebook poll and I think I’m the oldest matriculant in my class by at least 5 years, maybe more. Not the oldest in the school though!

Congrats! It’s definitely a great motivator. After my 2nd, I lost the weight quickly because I didn’t want to buy new clothes. Breastfeeding helped; making milk burns tons of calories.

Thanks!! Yeah, breastfeeding has helped a ton. Those last 10ish lbs or so are stubborn though!

Thanks!! Yeah, breastfeeding has helped a ton. Those last 10ish lbs or so are stubborn though!

What helped me lose the last few pounds of baby weight was going paleo; it was probably due to cutting out inflammatory foods. I weigh less now than before baby 1.

Last edited: