2019-2020 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II !!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My status says “Your application has been reviewed”. Per a post from a few days ago, does this mean I’m SOL?

My status says “Your application has been reviewed”. Per a post from a few days ago, does this mean I’m SOL?
are your letters of rec in? mine says "your application has been reviewed" too but I noticed one of my letters of rec is missing on their webpage so I am hoping its just that

are your letters of rec in? mine says "your application has been reviewed" too but I noticed one of my letters of rec is missing on their webpage so I am hoping its just that

I have everything in. I read the last two cycle’s threads and only saw one person mention that “your application has been reviewed” means rejection and they didn’t have any evidence to base it off of. I’m not going to worry about it. I read a couple times that they re-review apps, so maybe we’ll get an invite in the next waves?

I have everything in. I read the last two cycle’s threads and only saw one person mention that “your application has been reviewed” means rejection and they didn’t have any evidence to base it off of. I’m not going to worry about it. I read a couple times that they re-review apps, so maybe we’ll get an invite in the next waves?
Smart. Keep thinking positive. Us pre-meds are always stressed to the max and we always assume the worst. Worse case scenario, just reapply next cycle. If you have your mind towards a goal, you have the potential to achieve it. In my mind everyone does, just keep working hard and keep thinking positive.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the II email, one day after the invite appeared in my portal.

You guys are so lucky for getting interviews!

It was probably my post if you read it on last year’s thread. It was something mentioned in threads years past and was backed up by those same people later confirming they did not match or received a flat out rejection.

No idea if it still works that way. I cant imagine that they would decide this early that you’re rejected as long as your stats aren’t garbage-tier, so I wouldn’t place much stock in it at this stage of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all that are getting interviews, can you please let me know when you all completed your secondary application?
I submitted my secondaru June 2 but was not complete until June 7

Hello guys,

I'm a second year at TCOM and I look forward to meeting some of you in the future!
Feel free to tag me or quote this if you ever have any questions about the school, interviews, the campus, or TMDSAS in general!

Hey what things does TCOM include in their university-issued technology package? I wanted to get an ipad pro but I see that ton of medical schools give devices to students so idk if I should go out and buy something

Hey what things does TCOM include in their university-issued technology package? I wanted to get an ipad pro but I see that ton of medical schools give devices to students so idk if I should go out and buy something

TCOM has not provided iPads to students for some time. The tech package, currently, is a semi-maxed version of a 13” MacBook Pro without Touch Bar. Supposedly, they skipped the Touch Bar because there are reports that it’s possible to use it to cheat on exams.

For all that are getting interviews, can you please let me know when you all completed your secondary application?
June 24th I had everything completed and in.

I submitted on July 1 and my application was marked as received. I added an additional letter from a DO, but he has not submitted yet. Do you think that they will hold off on inviting for an interview (if I get one), until that letter comes in?

Eta: @wysdoc any opinion on this? I don’t want to bug him about the letter but I don’t want to be held back because of it either.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

Congrats on everyone getting interviews!

I have a quick question regarding the secondary application. I am not sure what to write about for the prompt below. What did most of you all write about for this prompt? I was thinking of writing about how I was supposed to graduate May of 2016 but ended up graduating May of 2016. Could I talk about that?

Prompt: If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks everyone :)

Hello Everyone!

Congrats on everyone getting interviews!

I have a quick question regarding the secondary application. I am not sure what to write about for the prompt below. What did most of you all write about for this prompt? I was thinking of writing about how I was supposed to graduate May of 2016 but ended up graduating May of 2016. Could I talk about that?

Prompt: If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks everyone :)

@Dream11 Oops - proofread what you just wrote!

If your graduation date was not what you initially thought it would be, that would qualify as "Alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date". But you would use this optional essay ONLY to amend or correct things that were on your TMDSAS primary application. Does that make sense? You might not need all 1000 spaces if your updates is minor.

Hi, I wanted to know what's to gain from going to the July 20 open house. I've been to TCOM before on a tour through a mentorship program with TCOM. They gave some speeches, toured a few places (anatomy lab and ultrasound), and let us meet med student mentors. Is there any extra benefit I would get from attending this open house? (A way of showing interest in school, useful info for admissions, etc.)

This is what they have on their page:

Presentations Include (Tentatively Scheduled):

Medical School Curriculum
Rural Osteopathic Medical Education
International Rotations
Dual Degree Programs
Research for Medical Students
Service Opportunities for Medical Students
Admissions Information (Italicized by me)

Lab Area Tours (Tentatively Scheduled):
Simulation Lab
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Lab

Hi, I wanted to know what's to gain from going to the July 20 open house. I've been to TCOM before on a tour through a mentorship program with TCOM. They gave some speeches, toured a few places (anatomy lab and ultrasound), and let us meet med student mentors. Is there any extra benefit I would get from attending this open house? (A way of showing interest in school, useful info for admissions, etc.)

This is what they have on their page:

Presentations Include (Tentatively Scheduled):
Medical School Curriculum
Rural Osteopathic Medical Education
International Rotations
Dual Degree Programs
Research for Medical Students
Service Opportunities for Medical Students
Admissions Information (Italicized by me)

Lab Area Tours (Tentatively Scheduled):
Simulation Lab
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Lab
If you have already toured and met some mentors and students, I don’t think there is any added value for you to do it again.
Are you applying this summer?

It is pretty uncommon for med schools to have open house days and tours the way colleges do, but a few of the Texas schools have been making this kind of visit available.

If you have already toured and met some mentors and students, I don’t think there is any added value for you to do it again.
Are you applying this summer?

It is pretty uncommon for med schools to have open house days and tours the way colleges do, but a few of the Texas schools have been making this kind of visit available.
Yes, I am applying this cycle. I have already submitted my primary and secondary. Do you think this would change your recommendation?
Actually, I've already signed up for the open house but I have commitments that I'll need to leave early for, so I won't be able to attend the whole thing. I hope they're understanding and that doesn't look bak.

Also, thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate that you're helping for everything that's TMDSAS including TCOM.

Yes, I am applying this cycle. I have already submitted my primary and secondary. Do you think this would change your recommendation?
Actually, I've already signed up for the open house but I have commitments that I'll need to leave early for, so I won't be able to attend the whole thing. I hope they're understanding and that doesn't look bak.

Also, thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate that you're helping for everything that's TMDSAS including TCOM.
You can still go if you want to go. When you sign in for the day just let them know you have a commitment and need to leave at X o’clock. Be interested, friendly, and engaged even though you have toured before.

It seems like I have to say "no" so many times on the secondary...are you educationally disadvantaged? financially disadvantaged? do you have an additional letter? did you attend more than two universities? no to all. will this make my app look terrible and ruin my chances of an interview?

It seems like I have to say "no" so many times on the secondary...are you educationally disadvantaged? financially disadvantaged? do you have an additional letter? did you attend more than two universities? no to all. will this make my app look terrible and ruin my chances of an interview?

Nope, not at all. Don’t worry about it.

Nope, not at all. Don’t worry about it.

Thanks for your response! Also, if I don't have a DO letter will I be doomed for TCOM? My stats are very competitive for the school, but not sure if not having a letter will be a problem.

Thanks for your response! Also, if I don't have a DO letter will I be doomed for TCOM? My stats are very competitive for the school, but not sure if not having a letter will be a problem.
Numbers say one thing, connections say another thing. Just hope for the best as there is nothing you can do about it at this point.

Another no.

DO letters are not necessarily preferred by TCOM.

Anecdotally, I applied with no DO letters and received an interview immediately (same-day) following the receipt of my letters (completing my application).

Reactions: 2 users
Another no.

Anecdotally, I applied with no DO letters and received an interview immediately (same-day) following the receipt of my letters (completing my application).
Which SCHOOL??????

Anyone have any advice for the prompt: "What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine?" This is the only DO school I'm applying to so I don't have much experience with this/don't really know exactly what they're looking for. Is it similar to the personal statement?

Anyone have any advice for the prompt: "What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine?" This is the only DO school I'm applying to so I don't have much experience with this/don't really know exactly what they're looking for. Is it similar to the personal statement?

I applied having never interacted with a DO, DO school, or had any experience with the profession other than knowing what, exactly, the profession was as opposed to allopathic medicine.

In my essay, I talked about OMM's potential uses in multiple fields of interest, like Emergency (non-life-threatening, duh), PM&R, Family, etc. and the value of having an "extra tool in the toolbox" to deal with the many issues that will be presented to us in our future as physicians. Additionally, I made a glancing mention of "mind, body, and spirit", which is a primary tenet of osteopathic medicine - the fact that mind, body, and spirit work together to form a complete whole. To that effect, I talked about known psychological theories like James-Lange that examine how psychological effects physiological and its proven importance to medical care.

I applied having never interacted with a DO, DO school, or had any experience with the profession other than knowing what, exactly, the profession was as opposed to allopathic medicine.

In my essay, I talked about OMM's potential uses in multiple fields of interest, like Emergency (non-life-threatening, duh), PM&R, Family, etc. and the value of having an "extra tool in the toolbox" to deal with the many issues that will be presented to us in our future as physicians. Additionally, I made a glancing mention of "mind, body, and spirit", which is a primary tenet of osteopathic medicine - the fact that mind, body, and spirit work together to form a complete whole. To that effect, I talked about known psychological theories like James-Lange that examine how psychological effects physiological and its proven importance to medical care.

You are very helpful! Thanks so much!

For those that have gone to TCOM's open house in the past, is the event business casual? If not, but you applied to their school during that current application cycle, did you dress business casual anyway? Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: Just emailed the admissions office and they said that the open house this Saturday will be casual since it will be so hot (thanks Texas).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do you think my application was screened since I didn't have a letter from a DO?

Do you think my application was screened since I didn't have a letter from a DO?

Another no.

Quick question:
I went to the same undergrade university but took only one summer chemistry course at UHouston. Does that mean I went to two different universities and should say yes to the question on the supplemental question?

Quick question:
I went to the same undergrade university but took only one summer chemistry course at UHouston. Does that mean I went to two different universities and should say yes to the question on the supplemental question?

The answer to how many schools you’ve attended is equivalent to the number of transcripts you’re sending.

Received a II on 7/19! I was transmitted 6/24 but complete on 7/16. LizzyM of 71 :)

For "TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following: Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization"

Would talking about an experience designing and teaching science experiments at underserved school districts fall under "outside your organization"? The wording kind of confuses me on this question.

For "TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following: Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization"

Would talking about an experience designing and teaching science experiments at underserved school districts fall under "outside your organization"? The wording kind of confuses me on this question.

Sounds good to me! The point of the question is to show that you stepped out of your comfort zone and worked with other people or other organizations to come to a common goal. It sounds like you, on behalf of yourself or an organization, reached out to multiple school districts to make this happen.

All my app was finished on 6/14, but my status still says recieved. Do they not review them in the order received? This is my top school and I have pretty competitive stats for it. Just thought it was weird my didn't at least say reviewed yet.

All my app was finished on 6/14, but my status still says recieved. Do they not review them in the order received? This is my top school and I have pretty competitive stats for it. Just thought it was weird my didn't at least say reviewed yet.
mine says the same. i was complete around the same time. i imagine it is because I am out of state