2019-2020 University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Florida

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UF screen secondaries for OOS applicants? Wondering if it’s worth it to fill it out if they just give it to everyone

The medical profession is frequently described as being both a science and an art. One could summarize this by saying that patients must “be well cared for” (science) but they must also “feel well cared for” (art). Indeed, the late physician, writer and ethicist, Dr. Edmund Pellegrino affirms both the science and art of medicine. But when discussing the nature of the physician/patient relationship he says the following, “The act specific to medicine, that which makes it medicine and thereby distinguishes it from both science and art, is the decision about what is right and good for a particular patient now, with this set of needs, arising out of this particular illness…It is the practical decision, taken in the best interest of a particular person, not in the interest of new knowledge, of society or of the physician.” We work to teach our students not only the scientific principles of medicine, but also the core values of medicine, often called “professionalism”. Toward this end we keep patients at the center of our education and often reflect on their stories with our students.
  • The exciting advances in our understanding of the biological basis for disease have led to the emergence of a host of targeted therapies and amazing technologies improving the duration and quality of our patients’ lives. The better a physician knows his/her patient, the better decisions they will make together as they approach important healthcare related questions. This so-called shared decision-making model is one key feature of patient centered care. Practicing the art of medicine in this way yields a physician patient relationship (PPR) that is both therapeutic and mutually enriching. However, many of these same technologies have the unintended consequence of separating us from our patients, both literally and figuratively. In addition, the industrialization of medicine and use of electronic health records have led to a decrease in the time physicians spend with their patients further eroding the strength of the PPR. At the UFCOM, we have numerous strategies to equip our students to preserve their own humanity and that of their patients. As students make connections with and get to know their patients, they begin to experience the joy in medical practice. They also have the chance to consider ways that the forces mentioned above can rob a physician of that joy. As they s hare their stories, they encourage one another to make deliberate choices to preserve what we might call the heart or soul of the profession. Read these reflections from two third year students, one about a memorable encounter with a patient and the patient’s daughter and the second a very moving poem where a student explores the importance of taking time to be quiet and alone despite the busyness of our lives. After considering them, comment on what you learned from one or both of the reflections, and then explain what you will do to “never lose the human side of yourself,” treat your future patients as you would a family member, and thereby preserve the soul of medicine.

Many hours in medical school are appropriately spent pursuing knowledge and skills needed to practice medicine. Medical students must master an enormous amount of information, synthesize it into a workable understanding of the human body, and then discern the best way to translate such knowledge into decisions with individual patients. However, governing this process are larger philosophical questions such as, “What does it mean to be human?” In his 1748 work, “Man as Machine”, French physician and philosopher Julien Offray de La Mettrie argues that humans are nothing more than complex animals. In contrast, many others would suggest there are psychological, social, emotional and spiritual dimensions to being human that are no less important than the biological, and perhaps even more important. Whatever our answers to these questions, those answers will have an impact on what we think it means to be a healthy human.

Below are two brief quotations, one from the Greek philosopher Plato and the other from Sir William Osler (1849-1919), widely regarded as one of the fathers of modern medicine. Read and reflect upon them and then choose one for an essay. Please address whether or not you agree with the author, why you do or do not, and how your conclusion might affect the way you practice as a physician.

"Variability is the law of life, and as no two faces are the same, so no two bodies are alike, and no two individuals react alike and behave alike under the abnormal conditions which we know as disease." -William Osler

"The greatest mistake in the treatment of diseases is that there are physicians for the body and physicians for the soul, although the two cannot be separated." -Plato

Reactions: 2 users
easily my favorite secondary to write this cycle, fingers crossed for an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Application submitted! Best of luck everyone :)

Just submitted the secondary. However, in the email, it says "*The Office of Admissions has received your Supplemental Application for the UF COM Class of 2023 (entering Fall 2019).*" I applied for fall 2020, and i dont see how it could be wrong on my end. Did it say that for anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted the secondary. However, in the email, it says "*The Office of Admissions has received your Supplemental Application for the UF COM Class of 2023 (entering Fall 2019).*" I applied for fall 2020, and i dont see how it could be wrong on my end. Did it say that for anyone else?
Mine did as well, think it's probably an error in the automated response, as long as the secondary portal says you're applying to start Fall 2020, it should be fine.

Did you all get an email with the UFID or how do you go about finding that? I am clicking on check application status and then its prompting me to login which I do and then it says temporary pin which I have no idea whats that?

I received mine after one day: I logged in at ONE.UF (collegenet login)---> 'application status info' ----> 'Click here for UFID'
Doesn't it ask you for a temporary pin though if so what would that be??

Just wanted to confirm: is there only one fee (for the first professional schools app)? Or is there also a second fee for the secondary app itself?

Anyone else's letters not showing up as received? Wondering if I should call....
Yes, mine are also not showing up as received. I believe it's the only school that says that for me too. Interesting

Yes, mine are also not showing up as received. I believe it's the only school that says that for me too. Interesting
When did you guys submit? UF has to go in and mark each letter individually after the secondary is submitted.

When did you guys submit? UF has to go in and mark each letter individually after the secondary is submitted.
Oh okay, gotcha. I submitted yesterday so I won't expect that for awhile then. I submitted as a letter packet though, so maybe that will help

Oh okay, gotcha. I submitted yesterday so I won't expect that for awhile then. I submitted as a letter packet though, so maybe that will help
Yeah, I submitted on the 13th and had the letters marked on the 15th.

Where can you find if your letters were marked received?

Where can you find if your letters were marked received?
Click on the home button in the application portal. It will be either a red exclamation mark or a green check mark

Mine just says application received is that it?

For the portion asking about activities participated in while not enrolled in college, did anyone leave it blank? I think all my activities occurred while I enrolled in school, but don't want to leave anything blank if I need to put something there/misunderstood the question.

For the portion asking about activities participated in while not enrolled in college, did anyone leave it blank? I think all my activities occurred while I enrolled in school, but don't want to leave anything blank if I need to put something there/misunderstood the question.

I did not see that question anywhere on the secondary...

I put the one activity that I hadn't put on amcas that I just recently started. Otherwise totally blank my thought process was "Well what was the point of the primary app..."

I have a question about how many rec letters you guys who have applied or are plan to intend on submitting. Has anyone submitted more than 5 or 6? The reason I ask is that I have 4 strong letters. 1 is from my organic chem professor who I was a TA for, 1 is from my Nervous systems course professor who is now my PI, 1 is from the director of my health science program at UF who taught me a non science course, and 1 is from a PA who I work with at clinic. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is 2 science, 1 non science, and 1 character letter. I have two others letters, one from a physiology professor and one from a disease survey course that I do not think would be as strong as the above mentioned. However, both of these individuals had me submit packets of information as well as meet with them since they stated they do not do template letters. Should I include either of these letters or give just one preference over the other? This would bring my total up to either 5 or 6 letters of rec. I know for a fact that the director of the program wrote a three page letter, and that my character letter and one of my science letters are two full pages. I am concerned that if the two letters I am debating submitting are subpar they will take away from the strength of the others, or that with so much content ADCOM might only read a few and neglect my stronger ones accidently. Does anyone have any advice?

I have a question about how many rec letters you guys who have applied or are plan to intend on submitting. Has anyone submitted more than 5 or 6? The reason I ask is that I have 4 strong letters. 1 is from my organic chem professor who I was a TA for, 1 is from my Nervous systems course professor who is now my PI, 1 is from the director of my health science program at UF who taught me a non science course, and 1 is from a PA who I work with at clinic. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is 2 science, 1 non science, and 1 character letter. I have two others letters, one from a physiology professor and one from a disease survey course that I do not think would be as strong as the above mentioned. However, both of these individuals had me submit packets of information as well as meet with them since they stated they do not do template letters. Should I include either of these letters or give just one preference over the other? This would bring my total up to either 5 or 6 letters of rec. I know for a fact that the director of the program wrote a three page letter, and that my character letter and one of my science letters are two full pages. I am concerned that if the two letters I am debating submitting are subpar they will take away from the strength of the others, or that with so much content ADCOM might only read a few and neglect my stronger ones accidently. Does anyone have any advice?
I would only submit letters you feel absolutely contribute to the strength of your application. Do you feel that these two additional letters add something that your previous letters did not? If so, include them. I submitted more than 6 letters, but only because I'm applying MD/PhD and felt like there would be strength in including letters from all my relevant research PI's.

Still radio silence from everyone? Last year around this time there were quite a few II's given out.

Reactions: 1 users
Still radio silence from everyone? Last year around this time there were quite a few II's given out.
Waiting with my fingers crossed for an early MD/PhD invite from them :nailbiting:

Does UF screen? This is the only secondary I have yet to receive of the 29 schools I applied to. Verified mid June.

Does UF screen? This is the only secondary I have yet to receive of the 29 schools I applied to. Verified mid June.
No they do not screen. But their emails giving secondaries have been in many people's spam folders, if you have read this thread.

Multiple people i know applying (some with stupid high stats) have yet to receive the secondary. They might be sending them out in waves

Multiple people i know applying (some with stupid high stats) have yet to receive the secondary. They might be sending them out in waves
I was verified at the end of June and didn't receive a secondary from them for 3-4 weeks. So it does seem to be case.

Do others out there have LORs listed under "document status" for UF? My letters are listed on every other school with a similar platform, but for UF there is nothing...it just says "references" and "transcripts" with no documents listed. But I have the green check on the home page and got the complete email. Wondering if every one else looks similar. Thanks!

Do others out there have LORs listed under "document status" for UF? My letters are listed on every other school with a similar platform, but for UF there is nothing...it just says "references" and "transcripts" with no documents listed. But I have the green check on the home page and got the complete email. Wondering if every one else looks similar. Thanks!
Mine also just has "references" and "transcripts". I think we are gucci as long as you have the green check on your home page indicating that they have received your letters.