2019-2020 Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sam Houston is not a public school....
Yes it is. SHSU is a public school, but its college of medicine is not.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted 9/27 with pretty competitive stats and ties to the area and have not heard anything. I'm thinking they are going through them in chronological order.
I think you may hear back around next week, based on what I've heard from others. I know people who submitted around 9/20-9/22 who heard back this week. So if you submitted 9/27, hopefully next week is your week

Idk what good this bickering does about it being public vs private as it doesn’t changing tuition cost but here is from AACOM’s website.

IMG_0789.JPG

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s an ambiguous situation for sure. Using TMDSAS app, not receiving subsidies from the state to drive down tuition costs, and not having to admit 90% Texas applicants (although I can’t imagine the applicant pool of out of staters is very high). I wonder why Sam had to accept the not receiving subsidies from the state as a condition for opening up their school? Is the state that cash strapped? How much $ are we talking anyway compared to the entirety of the state budget?

It’s an ambiguous situation for sure. Using TMDSAS app, not receiving subsidies from the state to drive down tuition costs, and not having to admit 90% Texas applicants (although I can’t imagine the applicant pool of out of staters is very high). I wonder why Sam had to accept the not receiving subsidies from the state as a condition for opening up their school? Is the state that cash strapped? How much $ are we talking anyway compared to the entirety of the state budget?

Regardless of whether its 55k or sub 20k like some Texas public schools, I don't think its an outrageous amount to charge. As long as the school qualifies for federal loans, I'm sure there's a way to offset the cost of attendance through public service after graduation.

I think you’re right! This article explains a lot about the new Texas med schools.

“When [Sam Houston State President Dana Hoyt] was working with legislators, she was told that there was probably not going to be any money for new medical schools,” he said. “She took that and decided to go with a tuition-based approach.”

I think you’re right! This article explains a lot about the new Texas med schools.

“When [Sam Houston State President Dana Hoyt] was working with legislators, she was told that there was probably not going to be any money for new medical schools,” he said. “She took that and decided to go with a tuition-based approach.”

Great read. Funny, my views were mirrored by someone with a lot more clout than I have regarding tuition at Sam and fulfilling its mission.

I interviewed this week and the dean answered the question regarding the funding situation and basically it wasn't anything against SHSU, but rather the State of Texas didn't want to allocate more funding towards more medical schools given the fact that 3 other ones will have already opened in the past 4 years, as well as BCM beginning to take more and more public funds. So basically the State budget has already funded essentially 4 other schools and didn't have the "appetite" to fund a 5th new one. The SHSU president decided it was imperative to move forward given the need in ETX.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else heard back from other schools this week? I know prematch began, so hopefully more II's may be coming our way

Members don't see this ad :)
II Today! Complete 9/22. OOS. Scheduled for 1/10

Last edited:
hold for interview- submitted 9/13; does anyone know if this is a soft rejection or if this list will actually move?

Its the first year they accept applicants, so I dont think anyone can give you the answer. But since its a new school in Texas, I predict that spots will open when other Texas applicants have to choose where they want to go on Match day, which will occur on February next year.

Also, they had around 50 students in my interview. Assuming every interview has similar numbers, it would make sense why they hitting breaks and giving holds until more openings become available.

Did anyone else get that "hold for interview" email recently? I'm wondering if they sent that to everyone who hasn't yet gotten an II or if we're a small minority.

Ended up applying after all but will be turning down my II. Good luck to everyone, not sure how many of you are TX residents, but TX is the place to be!

Does anyone have SHSU COM in their TMDSAS school preference ranking list?

Does anyone have SHSU COM in their TMDSAS school preference ranking list?
I interviewed in the first group and it hasn't yet appeared on mine. I wonder if they'll wait to push that until the 16th, which is when they said prematch offers would start rolling out.

Reactions: 2 users
To those that have interviewed, how was it? Any advice or tips?

To those that have interviewed, how was it? Any advice or tips?

It's really straight forward. Just be genuine about why you are interested in osteopathic medicine, particularly at their school. Pretty low key interviews during the 2-on-1s.

Can you prematch without ranking a school? I'd rather not rank schools until the deadline to do so.

Can you prematch without ranking a school? I'd rather not rank schools until the deadline to do so.
Yes you can.There is no need to rank at this point. Just set yourself a reminder/alarm not to miss the rank list submission deadline of January 17 Central Time 5 pm

Submitted on Monday. Got hold for interview email today. OOS

I don't see them on mine unless I'm not looking in the right spot

It’s on the TMDSAS website like the 2nd or 3rd section on the right side menu. Showed up for me aswell, scared af for decision day haha

Reactions: 1 users
II today at noon!!! IS and completed 9/30

Do you guys who have interviewed know how long their prematch period is? I'm interviewing on 11/22, and I was wondering whether or not I have a shot at finding out if I got in before February's match day.

Do you guys who have interviewed know how long their prematch period is? I'm interviewing on 11/22, and I was wondering whether or not I have a shot at finding out if I got in before February's match day.

I don't think anyone here could answer that. May be something to ask during interview day.

For those who have interviewed, how was the breakfast and lunch? Out of curiosity!

For those who have interviewed, how was the breakfast and lunch? Out of curiosity!

Fruit, nuts, yogurt was what I remember for breakfast. Lunch was pasta, a couple different sauces, chicken, maybe some beef, salad stuff, all separate so you could pick and choose how much of each you wanted.

Fruit, nuts, yogurt was what I remember for breakfast. Lunch was pasta, a couple different sauces, chicken, maybe some beef, salad stuff, all separate so you could pick and choose how much of each you wanted.
To add to this, they had gluten free pasta as well!

Just got an R from a school I interviewed at before this. Super anxious now with this school releasing results in 3 days... I know I did not do well in the group activity session.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an R from a school I interviewed at before this. Super anxious now with this school releasing results in 3 days... I know I did not do well in the group activity session.

Same same

I didn’t get the impression that the group activity was something that was actually being used for evaluation... If it was, I was the last of my group to find my partner lol.

I know its easy to second guess this kind of thing, but they specifically told my group that the group activity was for fun only. But I'm right there with you in Anxiety Land™ !

Do you you guys know if starting November 16th they'll be sending prematch offers on a rolling basis, or its just that one day, and everyone else finds out in February?