2019-2020 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this real? Why does this feel so surreal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It feels bad to me. Real bad. hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question but.. anyone know what time the APPCN match email goes out next monday?

5 minutes in and i have felt every single one of them

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like sites would send out their filled email right away, right?

Are people hearing things?!? This is stressful.

Are people hearing things?!? This is stressful.

I received my first email letting me know that one of my sites has filled all of their positions (27 minutes in...). Crossing fingers!! I am holding an offer and waiting for a reciprocal...

Reactions: 1 users
I received my first email letting me know that one of my sites has filled all of their positions (27 minutes in...). Crossing fingers!! I am holding an offer and waiting for a reciprocal...
Did you call your too picks for a reciprocal offer?

Did you call your too picks for a reciprocal offer?

I actually didn't need to. I was considering 3 sites; 1 gave an offer, 1 is pending (who I called immediately asking for a reciprocal offer; they're pending because they're on hold themselves and can't give a definitive answer until that last person answers them), and one already emailed that they are full. If that third site had not emailed that they are full, I would have waited to hear back from the first site I requested a reciprocal offer from, then called the second site after I heard a 'no' from the first site I requested a reciprocal from.

Please be proactive about calling the sites above the one you're holding and figuring out where you stand so we can all get this process over with ASAP!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted my top choice at 10:05 and there is a Wegmans in the same city so I want to cry with happiness.

Wishing the same joy to all of you!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I feel like sites would send out their filled email right away, right?

Dude one of my sites did not email about their positions being filled...I had to email the TD to find out

Dude one of my sites did not email about their positions being filled...I had to email the TD to find out
this is horrible. the guidelines says they 'must'

It's definitely looking like I might be in the next round of applying. How does applying for unfilled positions work? Is it just first come-first serve?

It's definitely looking like I might be in the next round of applying. How does applying for unfilled positions work? Is it just first come-first serve?
i think it jumps to being most comparable to the post-match vacancy

have you heard that sites are filled or just silence?

Will probably end up looking for post UND vacancies. Does anyone know when programs begin listing unfilled positions?

If we have not received an offer, are we able to ask about our position with another site that has been quiet?

If we have not received an offer, are we able to ask about our position with another site that has been quiet?
I’ve heard that we are allowed to but the answer would typically just be they are still waiting for a final answer from someone

Will probably end up looking for post UND vacancies. Does anyone know when programs begin listing unfilled positions?
Similarly- anyone know if there is a place to see who has been to it in the past?

officially to the post-UND for me
If anyone has tips or leads for this on health/peds it would be much appreciated!

I accepted my top choice at 10:05 and there is a Wegmans in the same city so I want to cry with happiness.

Wishing the same joy to all of you!!!!

That is so exciting, congratulations! I am leaving a Wegmans city, so I can understand your priorities!

For some reason I thought everything would be resolved today....does the notification/acceptance process ever last longer than a day? I have a site I still have heard nothing from.

For some reason I thought everything would be resolved today....does the notification/acceptance process ever last longer than a day? I have a site I still have heard nothing from.
I would go ahead and contact them at this point. I did contact one that was still silence after 2 PM and was told they filled their spots. maybe not all are emailing

I would go ahead and contact them at this point. I did contact one that was still silence after 2 PM and was told they filled their spots. maybe not all are emailing

Thanks for answering my questions! My internship site tends to retain most of its interns and so they are not great at providing advice/guidance through this process.

I ended up accepting an offer from my top site and declined two additional offers, which was difficult to do as my #1 and #2 where so close in in terms of ranking.

I ended up accepting an offer from my top site and declined two additional offers, which was difficult to do as my #1 and #2 where so close in in terms of ranking.

I had the same thing happen!

Thanks for answering my questions! My internship site tends to retain most of its interns and so they are not great at providing advice/guidance through this process.
no problem! i'm the only intern at my site applying for postdoc too. so we can work together on the general knowledge!

officially to the post-UND for me
If anyone has tips or leads for this on health/peds it would be much appreciated!
Hennepin Healthcare Child Fellowship was just posted on Disision 38

One site emailed me like 3 days later back when I interviewed for sites, but it wasn’t through APPIC at the time, although most sites still used the UND. I assumed no offer when I didn’t hear from the site on the UND, and I was right.

For those still looking for counseling center positions, you might try universitycounseingjobs.com, which posts jobs from time to time.

For folks familiar with the APPCN match (or any lurking TDs or ranking decision-makers), does anyone have insight into what "You are competitive with our top applicants" really means? I mean, I know what match policies say, but I'm wondering what "receiving serious consideration" means from a ranking perspective. I'd assume it varies by site to some extent? (I should also include the caveat that these kinds of emails are not swaying my ranking decisions, but am curious about this post-interview, pre-rank communication.)

For folks familiar with the APPCN match (or any lurking TDs or ranking decision-makers), does anyone have insight into what "You are competitive with our top applicants" really means? I mean, I know what match policies say, but I'm wondering what "receiving serious consideration" means from a ranking perspective. I'd assume it varies by site to some extent? (I should also include the caveat that these kinds of emails are not swaying my ranking decisions, but am curious about this post-interview, pre-rank communication.)

Going to vary quite a bit, but generally means that you may be in the top ranking group.

Going to vary quite a bit, but generally means that you may be in the top ranking group.
What is "the top ranking group"? Or does that also vary by site? Also, what is the purpose of these emails more broadly? So many questions...

What is "the top ranking group"? Or does that also vary by site? Also, what is the purpose of these emails more broadly? So many questions...

Top ranking group varies quite widely, also dependent on the number of incoming postdocs. Purpose is generally to let people know where they stand because many people are applying to match and non-match sites and it can help them in some of their decision making.

Thank you!
Also just saw pediatric psych postings for St. Jude’s in Memphis, children’s hospital of Wisconsin, and Marshfield Medical Center. Keep plugging along- tons of great sites still for the taking!!

Also just saw pediatric psych postings for St. Jude’s in Memphis, children’s hospital of Wisconsin, and Marshfield Medical Center. Keep plugging along- tons of great sites still for the taking!!
Thanks! We’re these from division 54? Somehow I fell off that list serve

Just posting again. any APPCN students know what time e-mails for match will go out on Monday?

Congrats to everyone that received an offer!