2019-2020 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is it, preparing now for my last interview!! I hope you're all hanging in there, we've got this.

Coping: binging Leah Remini's Scientology tv show, going to the gym

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is it, preparing now for my last interview!! I hope you're all hanging in there, we've got this.

Coping: binging Leah Remini's Scientology tv show, going to the gym

My last one is tomorrow! I hope we’ve all been staying (relatively) sane :)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh good luck to all who are almost done!

I have an interview on the 21st and one site I have not yet even heard from so I am still a mess.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're almost there ya'll! How is everyone coping with the impending UND? My supervisor was kind enough to let me stay home that day so at least I can be in my pjs....with donuts ..or other unhealthy coping strategies LOL

We're almost there ya'll! How is everyone coping with the impending UND? My supervisor was kind enough to let me stay home that day so at least I can be in my pjs....with donuts ..or other unhealthy coping strategies LOL

At the urging of several supervisors, I took that day off as well! I’m just trying to be as prepared as possible with my rank order list to *hopefully * make the process as smooth as possible. Also, coping with wine, Netflix and baby snuggles.

Are any of you planning to negotiate the postdoc salary? if so, any tips would be appreciated! Thank you!

Are any of you planning to negotiate the postdoc salary? if so, any tips would be appreciated! Thank you!

I've heard there isn't really a lot of room/leverage to do so during postdoc year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Updates have been pretty sparse, but I'm going to update the list today!

On another note, I accepted an offer! :soexcited:I hope time goes quickly for everyone else who is still in the process- the wait is almost over, and you'll all get amazing sites!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Last interview coming up, cannot wait for this last string of interview traveling to be over with! I have a quick question: How do you plan on letting a site know that about contacting another site before potentially accepting their offer during the "match" day?

Reactions: 1 users
Hope everyone is hanging in there!!! Super glad to hear that peoples' supervisors are being understanding of UND and letting people take the day off so y'all can be free to snatch up your dream site!

I also accepted an offer at my postdoc #wandsite and am eagerly awaiting the next couple weeks when everyone else can ALSO jump up and down with joy! We're in the homestretch, fam!!!
giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Last interview coming up, cannot wait for this last string of interview traveling to be over with! I have a quick question: How do you plan on letting a site know that about contacting another site before potentially accepting their offer during the "match" day?
There's an FAQ page on the APPA-CAS website devoted to this I think, but I probably would not even mention the other site. I would probably thank them, tell them I am very interested and would like some time to think about it, and can I "hold" the offer, then I would contact the other site immediately to see if they can give a counter-offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Logistical question: Once we accept an offer on the UND, I know the guidelines say we're then supposed to contact the remaining sites on our list immediately and let them know we've accepted an offer. Does that mean we should have a list of phone numbers and contact each TD that day? That just seems crazy to me since they'll probably be on the phone themselves.

Logistical question: Once we accept an offer on the UND, I know the guidelines say we're then supposed to contact the remaining sites on our list immediately and let them know we've accepted an offer. Does that mean we should have a list of phone numbers and contact each TD that day? That just seems crazy to me since they'll probably be on the phone themselves.

You could always just write up an e-mail and BCC all of your contacts at those sites and send that out when you accept a position.

New Orleans VA

Invite: 2/13 (personal email)

Track: PTSD

Interview: by phone or video (if possible) on 2/14.

Coping: Coping? I'm at work.

Should one receive an out-of-match, not-top-choice offer prior to Match Day... What is preferred method of communication-- email or phone call to your top site to ask about your standing/ranking?

My top site indicated that emailing the official offer letter would grant a reciprocal offer if you had been their top choice.

I have received a few emails from sites I interviewed at stating that I either am still in consideration for a position/will be ranked for an offer, or am no longer in consideration for a position. Are these emails typical? Just wondering if I should be expecting these from other sites as well.

I have received a few emails from sites I interviewed at stating that I either am still in consideration for a position/will be ranked for an offer, or am no longer in consideration for a position. Are these emails typical? Just wondering if I should be expecting these from other sites as well.

I think it just depends. I have not heard anything from sites I interviewed at.

I’ve heard they are

Anyone have any good scripts/ideas on what to say to hold an offer on UND if it comes to that? Struggling with this for some reason lol

Anyone have any good scripts/ideas on what to say to hold an offer on UND if it comes to that? Struggling with this for some reason lol

I just recently held an offer from a non-UND site (but later decided to accept it), and I said something along the lines of "Thank you so much. I am very interested in your site, but I'd like to briefly hold the offer to consider other options. How long is it okay with you for me to hold the offer?"

Perhaps a slightly different process b/c it wasn't on UND, but this seemed to go over well.

Reactions: 4 users

I just recently held an offer from a non-UND site (but later decided to accept it), and I said something along the lines of "Thank you so much. I am very interested in your site, but I'd like to briefly hold the offer to consider other options. How long is it okay with you for me to hold the offer?"

Perhaps a slightly different process b/c it wasn't on UND, but this seemed to go over well.
I said something pretty similar, and made sure to express a lot of excitement and appreciation. I also threw in some validation a la "I'm sure this is a busy and hectic time and that you all are eager to have things settled, so I really appreciate you being so understanding to allow me to think things over." I'm guessing that sites that adhere to or at least know of UND probably get that this is a stressful time and understand that people will probably be juggling multiple offers, which made me feel a little better asking to have some time.

I said something pretty similar, and made sure to express a lot of excitement and appreciation. I also threw in some validation a la "I'm sure this is a busy and hectic time and that you all are eager to have things settled, so I really appreciate you being so understanding to allow me to think things over." I'm guessing that sites that adhere to or at least know of UND probably get that this is a stressful time and understand that people will probably be juggling multiple offers, which made me feel a little better asking to have some time.
Same - I got my offer in person, and told them I was so thrilled, and then asked politely when they needed me to give a final answer by, and they were totally ready for that question and had an answer in mind. And, they were super understanding about being like, "You don't need tell us right now! Take some time, think about it." They all know how the game is played.

Asking for a time to consider the offer is great practice for a real job offer. Every post doc supervisor should expect you ask if they don't offer that information up front.

Similar question to one asked already: does anyone have scripts on how to make it clear to an APPCN site that they are the applicant's #1 choice without violating match rules? Are people making liberal use of bolding/underlining or is there some sort of code phrase that I don't know about? ;)

^almost same question regarding APPIC/APA sites from applicants standpoint. I was told in one interview the interviewer could not indicate when they liked someone but as applicants we could “say whatever you (we) want.” Is this true ?? Something tells me no, but not sure...

I am having a very hard time ranking sites. My top choice has everything that I want, but my 2nd and 3rd options are not so clear-cut. Anyway, my 2nd option is only giving 30 minutes to hold an offer. Is this something you would inform your top choice of in advance of UND? Because then I would need to know immediately where I stand and will need to get ahold of them for a reciprocal offer. Or I could just wait until UND and hope they get back to me immediately and everything goes smoothly...…

Coping: ruminating, catastrophizing, eating Subway sandwiches

Edit: Also, I didn't know it was a thing that we could consider letting them know that they're our top choice! Would love to hear responses on earlier questions re: this...

I am having a very hard time ranking sites. My top choice has everything that I want, but my 2nd and 3rd options are not so clear-cut. Anyway, my 2nd option is only giving 30 minutes to hold an offer. Is this something you would inform your top choice of in advance of UND? Because then I would need to know immediately where I stand and will need to get ahold of them for a reciprocal offer. Or I could just wait until UND and hope they get back to me immediately and everything goes smoothly...…

Coping: ruminating, catastrophizing, eating Subway sandwiches

Edit: Also, I didn't know it was a thing that we could consider letting them know that they're our top choice! Would love to hear responses on earlier questions re: this...

If you get an offer from your second choice, hold it for the 30 minutes and call the TD at the first choice site. Explain that you have an offer with a 30 minute deadline and that you’d like to know if they can offer you a reciprocal offer. No need to contact them prior to UND about it.

I have been having these CRAZY dreams where I get emails from the site directors offering me positions or saying nope sorry. These dreams are so real that I wake up and have to check my email to remind myself that I’m not going to hear anything before the 25th! This is brutal! Lol

Also I too am struggling to rank my 1st and 2nd choice. Both seemed like great programs but one is in a city I’d prefer to be in. At this point should I be prioritizing location and quality of life over reputation/prestige of program? Tough tough tough.

In my experience, I didn't hear from a single site after interviewing before the UND, and then got calls/emails that day (or with one site, a few days later an email).

I have been having these CRAZY dreams where I get emails from the site directors offering me positions or saying nope sorry. These dreams are so real that I wake up and have to check my email to remind myself that I’m not going to hear anything before the 25th! This is brutal! Lol

Lol at least 3 people in my internship cohort had a nightmare this morning about UND. I dreamt that I slept through it, but no calls anyways. Then in real life when I actually woke up, there was an email from one of my top choices regarding UND which almost gave me a heart attack...

30 minutes to hold an offer is a bit rushed. I thought the norm was 24 hours. This is the part of post doc that I did not like. I actually preferred the more standardized match of internship.

Also, not NP here, so rules may differ, but two years ago you could absolutely tell a site they were your top choice. I am a detailed rule follower, so I know this was the case. I let my top site know by saying some almost identical to, "You are my top site." Their response was, "You are ranked very high on our list." Rules may have changed in the past two years, so take my experience with caution.

30 minutes to hold an offer is a bit rushed. I thought the norm was 24 hours. This is the part of post doc that I did not like. I actually preferred the more standardized match of internship.

Also, not NP here, so rules may differ, but two years ago you could absolutely tell a site they were your top choice. I am a detailed rule follower, so I know this was the case. I let my top site know by saying some almost identical to, "You are my top site." Their response was, "You are ranked very high on our list." Rules may have changed in the past two years, so take my experience with caution.

It’s 4 hrs for holding on UND.

For those participating in the APPCN Match, here are the rules:

"Programs must not request that an applicant state how the applicant intends to rank any program and applicants must not communicate their ranking intentions to programs. The communication of a program's ranking intentions to an applicant is not permitted, except under very specific circumstances as provided for in the APPCN Match Policies. In particular, an applicant who receives a preemptive offer from a program that is not participating in the Match may inform a participating program about that offer; if the participating program intends to rank the applicant in a manner that will guarantee a match, the program may so inform the applicant (please refer to the APPCN Match Policies for complete details."

I just accepted an offer!!!!! Has anyone written an email to sites telling them "I'm taken!" and if so, what did you write?? I'm sure it's an easy - thanks for your consideration but I've taken this other offer, but I'd value any special words. I really love the site from which I'm about to withdraw, and would like to keep option of future employment open. Thoughts???

I just accepted an offer!!!!! Has anyone written an email to sites telling them "I'm taken!" and if so, what did you write?? I'm sure it's an easy - thanks for your consideration but I've taken this other offer, but I'd value any special words. I really love the site from which I'm about to withdraw, and would like to keep option of future employment open. Thoughts???

Congrats! I do not have any wise words for you, but what you have there (gracious, thanking them for their consideration) is probably perfect.

I hope I can feel the relief you’re feeling tomorrow! Good luck to everyone else who, like me, is still waiting

Congrats! I do not have any wise words for you, but what you have there (gracious, thanking them for their consideration) is probably perfect.

I hope I can feel the relief you’re feeling tomorrow! Good luck to everyone else who, like me, is still waiting

I'm still playing the waiting game. Two sites to hear from tomorrow and I'm currently trying to get work done while also contemplating if I'm willing to train at both sties (only one of the two is a really good fit) or if I want to wait and see what unfilled positions there are.

I'm still playing the waiting game. Two sites to hear from tomorrow and I'm currently trying to get work done while also contemplating if I'm willing to train at both sties (only one of the two is a really good fit) or if I want to wait and see what unfilled positions there are.

I feel very fortunate in that I still have several options and I think I’d get great training at any of them. I have a clear top choice but after that they’re all pretty even. I keep having nightmares that I just stare at my phone all day and don’t get any offers....

But I also agree that there will likely be great programs available even after tomorrow if it comes down to it. We’re so close to being done!

It’s 4 hrs for holding on UND.

I know the California sites usually agree to do 30 minute holds instead of what APPIC has decided on.

Quick APPCN question: Let's say an out of match offer is my 3rd choice, and my 1st and 2nd choice are in the match. It is ok for me to contact both the 1st and 2nd choice programs, correct? My adviser encouraged me to do this, but now I worry that my emailing 2nd choice will be construed as saying they are my 1st choice, and they will be upset it I do not match there.

Quick APPCN question: Let's say an out of match offer is my 3rd choice, and my 1st and 2nd choice are in the match. It is ok for me to contact both the 1st and 2nd choice programs, correct? My adviser encouraged me to do this, but now I worry that my emailing 2nd choice will be construed as saying they are my 1st choice, and they will be upset it I do not match there.

EDIT: I now assume this is for the neuro match process so my comment is probably irrelevant!

I have heard that when contacting higher ranked sites for a reciprocal offer you are obligated to accept if you are given a reciprocal offer. So I think you should contact #1 first and if they can’t offer yet, contact #2 if you’re willing to accept said offer on the spot. That’s just my understanding of the rules.

Last edited:
EDIT: I now am assume this is for the neuro match process so my comment is probably irrelevant!

I have heard that when contacting higher ranked sites for a reciprocal offer you are obligated to accept if you are given a reciprocal offer. So I think you should contact #1 first and if they can’t offer yet, contact #2 if you’re willing to accept said offer on the spot. That’s just my understanding of the rules.

This is my understanding of the policy as well. If you decide to proceed with contacting #2, it is with the assumption that it is now #1 and that you will re-order your rankings accordingly.

Last edited:
Another APPCN-related question that TDs may be able to answer: does anyone know what it specifically means when one is "competitive with top applicants" vs. being ranked but not near the top? How far down the list does an applicant go before they are considered part of the latter category?

Rooting for everyone today!!! Wishing everyone good cell reception and even better news!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
If it were me, I would call the 1st choice first and see if I could get an answer on the spot about a reciprocal offer. If they can't provide an offer, only then would I call the 2nd choice. However, I am also willing to do this because my top choice sites let us know that they will be immediately available during UND to negotiate offers.

EDIT: Also, one of my sites told me that if they do give a reciprocal offer, that I can only accept or decline on the spot, I cannot hold. Thus, even moreso of a reason to contact only one site at a time requesting reciprocal offers.