2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For LOR - I am a psych major, chem minor. Some places seem to view psych as non-science but since it is my Bsc major, wouldn’t it be science?

Members don't see this ad.

For LOR - I am a psych major, chem minor. Some places seem to view psych as non-science but since it is my Bsc major, wouldn’t it be science?
Never mind - I think I can use my Psych prof as both the major and the non-science requirement, then 2 chem profs.

It's too late for me, most of my non-science professors are retired! (I'm very, very nontrad :p )

Seriously though, I also emailed them this question and am waiting for their response before I submit the secondary.

Being far out from school may work in your favor, definitely worth asking them. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It says they want your AMCAS ID on each of your letters, but my letters were already assigned and sent with my primary.. Is it really necessary to have your letter writer put your AMCAS ID in your letters because that's too late for me at this point.

It says they want your AMCAS ID on each of your letters, but my letters were already assigned and sent with my primary.. Is it really necessary to have your letter writer put your AMCAS ID in your letters because that's too late for me at this point.

This is really a question that only they can answer. If you’re concerned I would recommend emailing them at MDADMIT@nymc and asking. This kind of thing comes up every year but I think it’s worth emailing to be sure. The department is very hard working and the people are very kind, I’m sure there’s a way to work it out.

Question: I was verified on 6/5 but have yet to receive a secondary...anybody else in the same boat? Or is this weird?

Edit: checked spam and it wasn't there either :(

Last edited:
Question: I was verified on 6/5 but have yet to receive a secondary...anybody else in the same boat? Or is this weird?
did you check your spam mail?

Secondary received 6/29, submitted 7/2. I have LOR's from bio, chem, and exercise science profs along with one from an MD. Hoping this fulfills LOR requirements...

Secondary received and submitted on 7/2. One physics LOR, one research LOR, one department (biology) LOR, and one social science LOR in a committee packet. Good luck all!

Could I submit my application without doing CASPer (testing this weekend) and not having my LORs (my school is being really slow with sending my committee letter in) in yet?

Could I submit my application without doing CASPer (testing this weekend) and not having my LORs (my school is being really slow with sending my committee letter in) in yet?
Yes, but it won’t get looked at probably until all of that is in.

Reactions: 1 users
How do we check the status of our application?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted and received email today of confirmation! Only a little worried about the CASPers test as it says that it will send but it didn't make me pay the $10 for some reason

How are you guys accessing the portal to check your status? For some reason I can't see it on the website.

I just received a confirmation email saying, “Your application to New York Medical College is complete. This means we are in receipt of your AMCAS application, required letters of recommendation and application fee. Your application has now been moved to the Committee. If you have not yet completed CASPer but are registered to take the test, we will still begin the review of your application while your test score is pending. The CASPer testing company will notify the Office of Admissions if you are registered to take CASPer and when you have completed the test.”

I just received a confirmation email saying, “Your application to New York Medical College is complete. This means we are in receipt of your AMCAS application, required letters of recommendation and application fee. Your application has now been moved to the Committee. If you have not yet completed CASPer but are registered to take the test, we will still begin the review of your application while your test score is pending. The CASPer testing company will notify the Office of Admissions if you are registered to take CASPer and when you have completed the test.”

How soon after submitting did you receive that email?

Anyone else get the complete email?

Submitted and received email today of confirmation! Only a little worried about the CASPers test as it says that it will send but it didn't make me pay the $10 for some reason
Is this email your talking about confirmation of payment or the complete email?

I submitted last weekend and still never got a complete email....

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else get an interview invite by mistake?? I had an invite yesterday, and after crying of happiness for like an hour and calling my entire family, I got an email saying it was a mistake :( :( ... I'm just hoping that I'm actually in line for a real interview invite...

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone else who submitted day 1, not get a password or username for their portal? Also I still haven't been marked complete. I hope all is well

I still havent gotten a confirmation email yet - is that normal?

I haven't either and I submitted a week ago
Yes I spoke to the admissions office. They say it takes 4-6 weeks to process applications. But that everything is done on our end.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it still worth submitting a secondary if I don't have a letter from my major's department, but literally have everything else? Feels bad since they don't even have an essay!!!

Not sure about the specifics of your case but you can try emailing the adcom about it. For me, one of my letters is from a prof which taught a course in my major but he is employed in a different department than my major. I emailed them and explained and they said it was cool

I see lots of letter-related questions (which is exactly what I’d expect at this time of year) so just a general piece of advice: the letter requirements are obviously meant to provide a standard set of letters to the admissions committee to represent the applicant from multiple diverse viewpoints. However, clearly there is a lot of gray area for somewhat unconventional situations.

The only people who know whether a specific set of letters is okay or if a requirement can be waived in light of the specific situation is the admissions committee. This goes for any and all schools. Do not give up on a school you like/are in range for just because you think you might not have the right things. Ask and find out and you may find doors opening for you that you thought were closed. Also, obviously, don’t just do what randos say on the internet. Be your own advocate and remember this is a LONG process, be patient.

I see lots of letter-related questions (which is exactly what I’d expect at this time of year) so just a general piece of advice: the letter requirements are obviously meant to provide a standard set of letters to the admissions committee to represent the applicant from multiple diverse viewpoints. However, clearly there is a lot of gray area for somewhat unconventional situations.

The only people who know whether a specific set of letters is okay or if a requirement can be waived in light of the specific situation is the admissions committee. This goes for any and all schools. Do not give up on a school you like/are in range for just because you think you might not have the right things. Ask and find out and you may find doors opening for you that you thought were closed. Also, obviously, don’t just do what randos say on the internet. Be your own advocate and remember this is a LONG process, be patient.

I will say that I did contact them in regards to AMCAS id on the letters and never heard back, so I just submitted anyway. I’ll report back and let people know if there ends up being an issue with my app

Update: got a response. As long as your letters were submitted through AMCAS, it is fine if your ID is not written on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
anyone know how to tell if our application is complete? what's the portal link? I only have the link that takes us to our filled out secondary..

anyone know how to tell if our application is complete? what's the portal link? I only have the link that takes us to our filled out secondary..
Thank you for completing your NYMC Supplemental Application Activity
It typically takes 4-6 weeks for our office to process your application.
Please do not call to inquire about your application status. If we have any questions about your application, you will be contacted by a member of the School of Medicine admissions staff.
You will receive an email from us confirming your application is complete and has been forwarded for review by the Committee for Admissions for an interview invite. Applications are reviewed continuously until early March and applicants may be invited to interview at any point until that time.

Just got complete email 7/9. Submitted the first day.

I will say that I did contact them in regards to AMCAS id on the letters and never heard back, so I just submitted anyway. I’ll report back and let people know if there ends up being an issue with my app

Update: got a response. As long as your letters were submitted through AMCAS, it is fine if your ID is not written on them.
Thank you for asking!!!!! I was wondering this now!!! I wish AMCAS gave you the most strict requirements for LOR upfront (official letterhead, signature, AMCAS ID within the letter, etc., cuz I already emailed my LOR like 4 times now!)

Reactions: 1 user
psych is counted as science?
My university has both a science psych major and an arts psych major - a slightly different approach but with some overlap. Overall it is not considered science for LOR purposes unfortunately. .

If I'm starting a new job in the medical field this month and continuing until (hopeful) matriculation, is this something I should send an update about? When do people send updates and how do you word them?

Still no complete email... submitted 7/2. anyone else?

Did anyone else get an interview invite by mistake?? I had an invite yesterday, and after crying of happiness for like an hour and calling my entire family, I got an email saying it was a mistake :( :( ... I'm just hoping that I'm actually in line for a real interview invite...

Geez they're having a bumpy cycle and it's not even August :eek:

Last edited: