2019-2020 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

Current first-year MSUCOM student. I just wanted to write this for those of you that are still waiting for an interview. I was you last year, I rode into Christmas break FREAKING OUT (I had 10 R's and 0 interviews). I remember hearing all the hype about "If you don't hear anything by thanksgiving, then you don't have a chance". That's crap. There is definitely still hope! Do not give up or get discouraged! If you've come this far, then you ALWAYS have a chance. Your day is coming (probably sooner than you think)! I know it's hard to wait, but I promise you it is well worth it!! Best of luck guys!
10 R's? Can I ask when is your first acceptance for med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm a Canadian applicant here. Secondary submitted 09/09/2019. MCAT 502 GPA 3.8. Was wondering if it's worth sending an 'update letter'? MSUCOM is my first choice and I'm patiently waiting to hear back from there (silence so far). Any thoughts? Should I wait until I get some kind of response to send the 'update letter' or should I just send it now? Is it even worth it to send an 'update letter'? (PS: Not really sure what this letter is supposed to entail but I heard someone mentioning it earlier, so now I'm curious as to if it'll help my application get some movement lol)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm a Canadian applicant here. Secondary submitted 09/09/2019. MCAT 502 GPA 3.8. Was wondering if it's worth sending an 'update letter'? MSUCOM is my first choice and I'm patiently waiting to hear back from there (silence so far). Any thoughts? Should I wait until I get some kind of response to send the 'update letter' or should I just send it now? Is it even worth it to send an 'update letter'? (PS: Not really sure what this letter is supposed to entail but I heard someone mentioning it earlier, so now I'm curious as to if it'll help my application get some movement lol)

I had a complete application since 7/23 and JUST got an II this past Friday. I didn’t send any updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait. Based on last year thread it seem like that next wave of interview invite should be around the beginning of Feb. I guess all you can do is waiting. I am also waiting too lol.

Hey! Your stats seem very competitive in my opinion! I don't think there's any reason to think the Admissions Committee would overlook you for any of those reasons so head up high! In terms of the update letter, are you currently in like a Master's Program, or in the middle or research, or done any ancillary shadowing/volunteering, etc. since submitting your secondary? Because I'm currently a Master's student so I submitted an update letter at the conclusion on every one of my class blocks.

I would definitely send an update letter - it can only help and bring attention to your app. You've got nothing to lose :)

DONT WAIT SEND IT. I interviewed last year and this year and both interview invites came within a week of sending updated grades and an update letter.

SEND IT!

1580395666517.png

NOW!

STOP WAITING!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wait. Based on last year thread it seem like that next wave of interview invite should be around the beginning of Feb. I guess all you can do is waiting. I am also waiting too lol.
Ahh thanks! The wait is killing me here lol

Hey! Your stats seem very competitive in my opinion! I don't think there's any reason to think the Admissions Committee would overlook you for any of those reasons so head up high! In terms of the update letter, are you currently in like a Master's Program, or in the middle or research, or done any ancillary shadowing/volunteering, etc. since submitting your secondary? Because I'm currently a Master's student so I submitted an update letter at the conclusion on every one of my class blocks.
Thanks! Appreciate it! Hard to really value anything on one's app at this moment in time - the nerves are real :S Ok so I'm working full-time in clinical research at the moment. That wasn't mentioned in my application, but I just slightly mentioned it in the 'anything else' section of the secondary application (but I didn't offer any specifics as I had just started working). I can definitely talk more about my experience with this full-time job on the letter. Either than that, do we just let them know why MSUCOM is like the #1 choice for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Writes letters of interest/intent if you really want to go here. They might make the difference.
Can you tell me where you sent your letter of intent? I'm drafting one right now (already interviewed, felt like it went really well) but I'm waffling on where to send it. Would it be appropriate to also upload it to my secondary application page so it's accessible by the admissions committee?

Can you tell me where you sent your letter of intent? I'm drafting one right now (already interviewed, felt like it went really well) but I'm waffling on where to send it. Would it be appropriate to also upload it to my secondary application page so it's accessible by the admissions committee?

I don’t remember. I think it was there or I emailed the Admissions Committee directly.

Can any current student talk about how they prepared for COMLEX/Step 1 at MSUCOM. Did you or anyone you know use Zanki? What did you guys do if you had success?

Good idea to bring a portfolio/water/etc?
They will have water bottles there for you. If you feel like you will take notes during the presentations then maybe bring a folder or portfolio thing. I didnt and dont regret it, pretty much just a personal choice. I'd say it's about 50/50 on people who bring one

Can we drink the provided water in between MMIs? Thx!
I think (i interviewed in September, so trying to remember from a while ago) they showed us where a drinking fountain was if we needed a drink, but theres not really enough time to go to it inbetween stations.

Anyone know when WL movement typically starts for this school?

Anyone know when WL movement typically starts for this school?
Interviews last until the first week of April so I would say a few weeks before or after then!

Also, if you're waitlisted it's imperative that you send an update letter or preferably a few of them between now and then.

Last edited:
Interviews last until the first week of April so I would say a few weeks before or after then!

Also, if you're waitlisted it's imperative that you send an update letter or preferably a few of them between now and then.
Will do, thank you!

Ah I see that the school website finally updated from the days our Founding Bone Wizard walked this earth to modern times.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is a better way to know about the status of your application other than the status tab on the portal. I have been complete since the end of July and have yet to hear/see any changes :(

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is a better way to know about the status of your application other than the status tab on the portal. I have been complete since the end of July and have yet to hear/see any changes :(

During the interview they said that they wished more people would call admissions to have their questions answered.

Maybe give them a call? They seemed very helpful and eager to answer any questions.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do. I have emailed admissions twice and the response has been the same. If you haven't been rejected yet, they are still considering you for an interview.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do. I have emailed admissions twice and the response has been the same. If you haven't been rejected yet, they are still considering you for an interview.
Have they started sending pre-II rejections?

Have they started sending pre-II rejections?
There was one user who posted that he/she received a pre-interview rejection, but that's about it. I don't think they've sent them en mass yet.

For accepted students: does anyone have a list of things we will need to buy for school (scrubs, equipment, etc)? Or do we wait until we get there and they will have everything? Thanks! :)

For accepted students: does anyone have a list of things we will need to buy for school (scrubs, equipment, etc)? Or do we wait until we get there and they will have everything? Thanks! :)
Do you know if MSUCOM has an accepted students/second look day? I haven’t been accepted or anything yet just trying to find info for all of the places I interviewed at.

Just got accepted! Interviewed 1/30. She said they are still calling people today with acceptances.

Accepted! interviewed 1/30

congrats! Quick turnaround! Are you IS or OOS?
IS applicant, submitted my application back in July I believe. I think they still have interviews running through the end of March so for anyone who is not rejected, you still have a chance! Don't give up yet!

Question: I just got invited to interview on the 20th of February. I'm OOS from Florida and only tie to Michigan is the Tigers games I used to go to when I lived in Ohio. I saw a lot on here about OOS being unfavorable, could somebody expand on that so I have a better understanding heading into next week.

Question: I just got invited to interview on the 20th of February. I'm OOS from Florida and only tie to Michigan is the Tigers games I used to go to when I lived in Ohio. I saw a lot on here about OOS being unfavorable, could somebody expand on that so I have a better understanding heading into next week.

They told us during the interview that they have an IS preference since they want physicians in Michigan. 85% of their class of 300 is IS or 85% of accepted students is IS -- I don't remember which one, but someone correct me lol

I’m in the same boat and I’m also interviewing on the 20th. I have no idea why I even got an invite, since I have zero ties to Michigan/have never even been there. Any insight would be helpful!

I’m in the same boat and I’m also interviewing on the 20th. I have no idea why I even got an invite, since I have zero ties to Michigan/have never even been there. Any insight would be helpful!
Would y’all find sharing stats please? Congrats on the interviews!