2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i didn't get the email about not getting our white coat but i also got the email about orientation and the stuff we had to buy for the OMM thing. kinda upset about our white coat though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i didn't get the email about not getting our white coat but i also got the email about orientation and the stuff we had to buy for the OMM thing. kinda upset about our white coat though.
Me too! I think we will get more pomp and circumstance by delaying it and having a real ceremony than by doing it virtually, but it still would have been nice! The family wants pictures... :bag:

Me too! I think we will get more pomp and circumstance by delaying it and having a real ceremony than by doing it virtually, but it still would have been nice! The family wants pictures... :bag:
Yeah I wish we got our white coats though for the time being until our ceremony

Members don't see this ad :)
We used to have blackboard but honestly canvas has been much smoother. I had only used blackboard before last year and I am so glad we switched

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile
I'm biased because I've only worked with canvas, but I've used it on both the student side and the educator side of it this past year when I was teaching and it's amazing IMO, there's a small learning curve but the interface lays out all your assignments so clearly & the support system is great. Even during the pandemic when we switched to remote I was able to reach someone in 15 minutes which was like record breaking.

Reactions: 1 users
Just accepted a seat off of the waitlist!

Reactions: 10 users
Can someone help me out here :( I'm trying to decide between living in North KC or Downtown. The tradeoff is larger space vs being close to campus. I am a homebody who studies at home, so my space is super important, at the same time though, I know being close to campus is so convenient. If I lived in North KC, I'd be 15 min away which is nothing to me, but I wonder if down the line I'll regret being further away. Is there any traffic at all? Any insights?

Can someone help me out here :( I'm trying to decide between living in North KC or Downtown. The tradeoff is larger space vs being close to campus. I am a homebody who studies at home, so my space is super important, at the same time though, I know being close to campus is so convenient. If I lived in North KC, I'd be 15 min away which is nothing to me, but I wonder if down the line I'll regret being further away. Is there any traffic at all? Any insights?
Cool thing about downtown is that it's the downtown of a moderate sized city. If you want the extra convenience of being closer to school plus the fun experience of being down there.

Traffic is dismal in KC. I would choose north Kansas City myself. But that probably wont happen since I haven't been pulled from the waitlist.

Last edited:
i chose being away from downtown bc i don't like noise so i chose north KC. and i like walking / running / biking outside and that would be a struggle in downtown. also its cheaper and the space is bigger outside of downtown.

Members don't see this ad :)
i chose being away from downtown bc i don't like noise so i chose north KC. and i like walking / running / biking outside and that would be a struggle in downtown. also its cheaper and the space is bigger outside of downtown.
Yeah living in DT is pretty loud. That part sucks, sirens all the time

Traffic is dismal in KC. I would choose north Kansas City myself. But that probably wont happen since I haven't been pulled from the waitlist.

In my experience KCMO has some terrible drivers, nearly every driver seems like they aren’t stopping for that stop sign lol.

i live 15 minutes away from campus (not downtown) and I love it. My neighborhood is super quiet and safe and I'm close to the grocery stores/restaurants. Traffic isn't a major concern here as it is in other cities. My friends who live downtown complain about being far from decent/cheap grocery stores and the noise during the Chiefs game/if there was anything happening downtown was apparently pretty annoying. I never hear anything other than occasional sirens.

Reactions: 2 users
In the past week I saw three people FaceTiming while driving...

facetiming.

also saw a woman on 35 texting with two hands while driving. Epic.

Reactions: 3 users

I chose North KC as well because the apartments were generally bigger and my fiancee is coming down with me. So if you're looking to room with someone, it makes sense to get some extra space. I don't mind the 13-15 minute drive to campus since I did it during my undergrad and we aren't required to be on campus 24/7 (even more so now)

Good, you guys are talking about driving. How would one who lives OOS register his vehicle in Missouri?

Good, you guys are talking about driving. How would one who lives OOS register his vehicle in Missouri?
I never changed my registration. My license is still my parents' address as my permanent address. I still drive with an OOS/non-Missouri plate

Reactions: 5 users

Check and see what your insurance will cost first. My registration was expiring in my home state so I went ahead and got my car registered in MO and my insurance doubled.

Check and see what your insurance will cost first. My registration was expiring in my home state so I went ahead and got my car registered in MO and my insurance doubled.

How much are you guys paying for insurance? I heard there's some cheap insurance companies like safeco and missouri farm bureau. Any insight? Worried about paying too much because of young driver.

I asked the MO DMV about this and they told me that I didn't have to change my registration since I don't work in MO. I kept my registration from my home state and still drive around with my old plate and so does a lot of my classmates. Registration here is a bit of a pain and I was told to pay a third party company to handle it for you by some locals lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I asked the MO DMV about this and they told me that I didn't have to change my registration since I don't work in MO. I kept my registration from my home state and still drive around with my old plate and so does a lot of my classmates. Registration here is a bit of a pain and I was told to pay a third party company to handle it for you by some locals lol.

It took me 5 hours and trips to three different places. 10/10 would pay someone to do it

Any Canadian who have gone through the registering process. I plan on bringing my current vehicle, registering it, getting a Missouri license and car insurance, but if there is a way to avoid some of those (I will have to at least get a license and insurance), or go through a simpler process, please let me know. Thanks!

Also, they have posted the textbook list for first year, so can we find most of them online or will the link with all the PDFs be available somewhere when classes start? Thanks to all the current students helping us out, we really appreciate it! :)

Any Canadian who have gone through the registering process. I plan on bringing my current vehicle, registering it, getting a Missouri license and car insurance, but if there is a way to avoid some of those (I will have to at least get a license and insurance), or go through a simpler process, please let me know. Thanks!

Importing a vehicle is a hassle. Gotta get a letter regarding the car's emissions, possibly pay duty (2.5% on value of car), pay for registration/titling/licensing, get a Missouri drivers license from scratch (dont care you have a canadian one), likely a new american insurance, and probably some more stuff I dont remember from the top of my head. I also believe there's a yearly property tax on vehicles in Missouri.

Your other choice is to simply not import the vehicle and continue using canadian stuff for the 4 years as a student since it's legal to do so in the states, but I dont know if canadian insurances are going to be okay with that.

Importing a vehicle is a hassle. Gotta get a letter regarding the car's emissions, possibly pay duty (2.5% on value of car), pay for registration/titling/licensing, get a Missouri drivers license from scratch (dont care you have a canadian one), likely a new american insurance, and probably some more stuff I dont remember from the top of my head. I also believe there's a yearly property tax on vehicles in Missouri.

Your other choice is to simply not import the vehicle and continue using canadian stuff for the 4 years as a student since it's legal to do so in the states, but I dont know if canadian insurances are going to be okay with that.
Thanks for the info! I did get the info you mentioned, but unfortunately, my insurance will only cover me here for 30 days. Looks like I will to go through ll the hassle lol, gonna be a pain to do this during the pandemic, let's hope it's not too bad. :xf:

Thanks for the info! I did get the info you mentioned, but unfortunately, my insurance will only cover me here for 30 days. Looks like I will to go through ll the hassle lol, gonna be a pain to do this during the pandemic, let's hope it's not too bad. :xf:

Keep in mind that if your vehicle is some sort of "canada specific" version, if something breaks down, getting the part might not be possible in the US without importing the part, and I think because of that, some insurances charge even more for canadian imported vehicles. If it still has any warranty or deal on oil changes, you won't be able to use it in the US.

There's even a decent chance that just getting a vehicle in the US might actually be more worthwhile. Insurance looks a bit pricy in KCMO either way.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I guess I was thinking more along the lines of sticker renewal. How would one go about doing that?

Keep in mind that if your vehicle is some sort of "canada specific" version, if something breaks down, getting the part might not be possible in the US without importing the part, and I think because of that, some insurances charge even more for canadian imported vehicles. If it still has any warranty or deal on oil changes, you won't be able to use it in the US.

There's even a decent chance that just getting a vehicle in the US might actually be more worthwhile. Insurance looks a bit pricy in KCMO either way.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I just can't afford to buy a new vehicle at the moment. Just gonna have to go there, get it registered and do the road test there.

Last edited:
Just gave up my seat at KCU due to sudden family reasons. Wish I could be joining you all this year, but I know it'll go to someone deserving of this spot. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations! Check the facebook group :) Both KC and Joplin have their own Class of 2024 groups.
Hi everyone! Just got my acceptance letter from KCU today. Is anyone looking for roommates? I'm a female and open to anywhere that's within walking distance to the campus.

So excited, you don't even know! KCU-Joplin was my first choice, but I feel like I'm so behind compared to classmates at this point with paperwork and scrambling to get things done. Any affordable furniture places in Joplin that y'all know of that's not Walmart/Target? I'm in Boston so a U-Haul is out of the question at this point.

Also, I heard a rumor that students get iPads? Is that the case?
Yes you get ipads! And I am sure admissions knows you will need some time to get the paperwork together.

I used Furniture Row and ordered from a location close to my hometown and delivered it to the Joplin location for delivery. There is also Ashley Furniture and a few local chains i cannot remember off the top of my head, but they had some good pieces too.

Congrats!!

this might be a dumb question but how do you download anki decks? I'm on the reddit page but cant seem to figure out how to download the AnKing deck, lolnotacop etc. can someone DM me?

Hi, me again, is there a GroupMe for the class of 2024?

Hi, me again, is there a GroupMe for the class of 2024?
Joplin has a GroupMe and a discord, KC is using slack and I think they have GroupMe? I would recommend joining your campus FB group and you can find all of those links!

this might be a dumb question but how do you download anki decks? I'm on the reddit page but cant seem to figure out how to download the AnKing deck, lolnotacop etc. can someone DM me?
Definitely let me know if you still have any anki questions! I’m working through anki now as well!!

So excited, you don't even know! KCU-Joplin was my first choice, but I feel like I'm so behind compared to classmates at this point with paperwork and scrambling to get things done. Any affordable furniture places in Joplin that y'all know of that's not Walmart/Target? I'm in Boston so a U-Haul is out of the question at this point.

Also, I heard a rumor that students get iPads? Is that the case?
I’m on the Joplin campus and I’m using wayfair! They are working with FedEx so my furniture arrives in a timely manner. They have been great so far.

I’m on the Joplin campus and I’m using wayfair! They are working with FedEx so my furniture arrives in a timely manner. They have been great so far.
I'm using amazon but gotta time shipment so stuff doesn't arrive before i get to move in

Definitely let me know if you still have any anki questions! I’m working through anki now as well!!
i legit went on the anki lounge on credit and downloaded all the decks! hahaha I'm gonna suspend them all and unsuspend as classes come up.

Joplin has a GroupMe and a discord, KC is using slack and I think they have GroupMe? I would recommend joining your campus FB group and you can find all of those links!
yeah KC has a groupme and we use slack. groupme as become very inactive as were all on slack

I ordered many things via Amazon and ordered my furniture online to be delivered. For furniture, I primarily used overstock, wayfair, and Nebraska Furniture Market in Kansas City. I am only bringing what I can fit in my car.

I ordered many things via Amazon and ordered my furniture online to be delivered. For furniture, I primarily used overstock, wayfair, and Nebraska Furniture Market in Kansas City. I am only bringing what I can fit in my car.
KC has an IKEA nearby. And honestly all i need is a desk and mattress Walmart has some amazing deals for desk all less than 50 bucks

Generally, the basics are best, but I am a notorious over packer! KC also has a Container Store, which is amazing.