2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying not to give too much identifying information, but my core site is in my home state close to my parents. I moved to an apartment within a few miles of the hospital where a lot of other students live. Our core site also allows us to do the majority of 4th year there, and I'm applying for residency there so I just had to find a few audition rotations in the area, which was very easy. If you have no reason to stay in KC, then definitely look into other core sites and see what you want. Do you want tons of hands on experience where it's just you and a preceptor? Go somewhere like Witchita. Do you want a traditional 3rd year experience with a lot of residents, residency programs, other medical students, and amazing networking opportunities? Look into some other core sites.

So just to clarify, basically if you leave KC for 3rd year, you don't have to come back to KC at all 4th year other than for things like commencement etc and you can pretty much do all your electives anywhere the entire year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So just to clarify, basically if you leave KC for 3rd year, you don't have to come back to KC at all 4th year other than for things like commencement etc and you can pretty much do all your electives anywhere the entire year?
Yeah your 4th year can be wherever you want, doing pretty much whatever you want. You do have to do an EM core rotation and COMAT, but that can also be done anywhere that meets the shift requirements.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup. I'm in KC for 3rd year and I am still planning on leaving after and doing fourth year back at home (I only stayed in KC for 3rd year for personal reasons).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. I'm in KC for 3rd year and I am still planning on leaving after and doing fourth year back at home (I only stayed in KC for 3rd year for personal reasons).
2nd year here, but are the KC sites pretty popular aka is it relatively hard to stay in KC for 3rd year?

This gaming laptop thing seems kinda ridiculous maybe a current student can speak on it? I was originally planning to build a PC for myself with similar specs before starting classes.

Its interesting because that document says “subject to change” then also states “recommended”. Then it’s says not used to fullest leverage until 2nd and 3rd year... Do they think money is falling from the sky? What kinda sick scam are they trying to run on us.

2nd year here, but are the KC sites pretty popular aka is it relatively hard to stay in KC for 3rd year?
Depends on the year. There are a lot of spots and they're trying to increase them every year (that's what they say at least). I do know a good chunk of people didn't get KC this year despite wanting it and even writing appeals. But you can swap with people after the fact if you got a spot that someone else wants and vice versa.

Depends on the year. There are a lot of spots and they're trying to increase them every year (that's what they say at least). I do know a good chunk of people didn't get KC this year despite wanting it and even writing appeals. But you can swap with people after the fact if you got a spot that someone else wants and vice versa.
do people with financial limitations get first priority?

No lol. It's a matching algorithm. However you can write a letter to the director of medical education stating any reasons you have for a certain spot, you can also write an appeal letter for any extenuating circumstances. However, you will not find out if those are accepted. They just tell you where you're going the same time/way as everyone else.

Nope. Mine was definitely not on brand of what you could order from the school.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile
I was gonna ask about this as well! I noticed that the ophthalmoscope/otoscope are the most expensive items on the list, but a doctor who I worked with gifted me a Welch Allyn kit. If I don't need the exact model that the school is recommending, then I'd much rather buy the other parts individually.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was gonna ask about this as well! I noticed that the ophthalmoscope/otoscope are the most expensive items on the list, but I a doctor who I worked with gifted me a Welch Allyn kit. If I don't need the exact model that the school is recommending, then I'd much rather buy the other parts individually.

That sounds like a really nice doc that loved you lol. Very lucky!!

Nope. Basically what the other poster said, except this year even people who owned homes in locations (I believe there was someone in Joplin) got their letters declined lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was gonna ask about this as well! I noticed that the ophthalmoscope/otoscope are the most expensive items on the list, but a doctor who I worked with gifted me a Welch Allyn kit. If I don't need the exact model that the school is recommending, then I'd much rather buy the other parts individually.

I was gifted a Welch Allyn by a family member and it worked for me well. So you should be good.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

What are some unspoken rules incoming students should be aware of or lessons you guys learned the hard way (non-academic rules/lessons)

What are some unspoken rules incoming students should be aware of or lessons you guys learned the hard way (non-academic rules/lessons)
Don't ask a ton of questions during lecture, probably won't be an issue for y'all if its still all remote learning, but if you are in class know there are other people there too, if you have a bunch of questions just wait till the end or send the professor an email, you don't want to be known as the person who's annoying for asking tons of questions.

Nope. Basically what the other poster said, except this year even people who owned homes in locations (I believe there was someone in Joplin) got their letters declined lol.
Yep. It was crazy. I mean they were still in a location within driving distance, but still..

Oh shoot, that stresses me out a bit in all fairness. I'm moving to KC with my SO and the thought of possibly having to move or spend a year apart kind of sucks

Oh shoot, that stresses me out a bit in all fairness. I'm moving to KC with my SO and the thought of possibly having to move or spend a year apart kind of sucks
I 100% get it, as I was in the exact same situation. I would say try not to stress out about it too much from now. There are a lot of spots in KC so hopefully you will be fine by the time it comes.

Reactions: 3 users

Same boat! Husband is active duty military so he could always be deployed. We are bracing ourselves should one of us have to move away from the other.

Hello everyone,
I got accepted of the wait list last week, really excited to be attending the KC campus.
I heard talk of 1 item of free gear being given out to students. Is that still a thing? :unsure:

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone,
I got accepted of the wait list last week, really excited to be attending the KC campus.
I heard talk of 1 item of free gear being given out to students. Is that still a thing? :unsure:
They should email you in the next week to let you know about your welcome gift. Congratulations!

They should email you in the next week to let you know about your welcome gift. Congratulations!
also got off the waitlist a little over a week ago and I get 0 emails about anything, let alone free gear lol -___-

I may have missed this, but did KCU tell us how long they are planning on doing mostly remote learning? It may change where I want to live if it's a majority of the first semester.

I may have missed this, but did KCU tell us how long they are planning on doing mostly remote learning? It may change where I want to live if it's a majority of the first semester.

Remote learning until at least Labor day is all they have said with small groups labs still happening as soon as we get back

Does anyone on the waitlist have information regarding payment deadlines or anything to suggest that seats may open up?

also got off the waitlist a little over a week ago and I get 0 emails about anything, let alone free gear lol -___-
I also got off the waitlist in mid-May and I had to wait a week before the emails came in. Hopefully they'll be in touch with you soon!

Is all of orientation going to be online? Since I'm wondering if we'll be getting our items during it, like lab coats, iPads, IDs, etc

I'd be curious to know how many of us are left on the waitlist. Doubt admissions would tell us though lol

I was accepted off the waitlist today!!! I am still in shock. I sincerely hope that the rest of you waiting get closure soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
Is all of orientation going to be online? Since I'm wondering if we'll be getting our items during it, like lab coats, iPads, IDs, etc
orientation is all online. they might do like a drive by orientation where you pick up your iPad, etc.

I think this was posted previously but can current student comment on where they got their furniture in Kansas City. I'm moving from Detroit and I'm debating if I want to buy everything from IKEA here and drive a uhaul 12 hours or if I should just get a plane ticket and stuff my clothes in a few suitcases and buy all furniture once I get to Kansas City.

I think this was posted previously but can current student comment on where they got their furniture in Kansas City. I'm moving from Detroit and I'm debating if I want to buy everything from IKEA here and drive a uhaul 12 hours or if I should just get a plane ticket and stuff my clothes in a few suitcases and buy all furniture once I get to Kansas City.

KC has an IKEA!

I'm coming from Chicago and I'm not bringing any furniture. I'm gonna purchase everything and start shipping it there like 2 days before i move in to my apartment.

Nebraska furniture mart will likely have a huge sale around July 4 just a heads up.

I’m coming from Detroit and bought everything here and drove down in a Uhaul. There was stores to by stuff down there (ikea and Costco) but I am so glad I just did the Uhaul. Another thing to note is if ur gonna be moving-in alone try to have extra hands to carry the big stuff and if u don’t have a pickup truck then it’s gonna cost for delivery anyway. Side note, measure the hallway width and door width before u buy any nice couches.

I was accepted off the waitlist today!!! I am still in shock. I sincerely hope that the rest of you waiting get closure soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
Congrats on your acceptance!!! Would you mind sharing when you interviewed and when you got waitlisted?

I’m coming from Detroit and bought everything here and drove down in a Uhaul. There was stores to by stuff down there (ikea and Costco) but I am so glad I just did the Uhaul. Another thing to note is if ur gonna be moving-in alone try to have extra hands to carry the big stuff and if u don’t have a pickup truck then it’s gonna cost for delivery anyway. Side note, measure the hallway width and door width before u buy any nice couches.
Thanks for the advice! My dad and brother will be coming to help with the moving process. I think flying vs. driving a uhaul will come down to cheapest option. I'm checking pricing now.

i thought the email said some small group activities might be possible, where did you get the information that it is all online?
i thought it was all online til labor day? orientation i believe is fully online then they move to in-person activities but in small groups. they want us to quarantine in KC for 2 weeks meaning no activities in-person for the full 2 weeks.

i thought it was all online til labor day? orientation i believe is fully online then they move to in-person activities but in small groups. they want us to quarantine in KC for 2 weeks meaning no activities in-person for the full 2 weeks.
Mandatory, small-group in-person activities will most likely begin as early as July 27. This is what i found from the website. but yes orientation will be all online i assume