2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who already got an II ever have the on-hold status, or did it go right from complete to II?

Members don't see this ad.

I think mine just says complete and ready for review or whatever then

Mine says the same thing. Maybe the on-hold applicants are being more seriously considered? Idk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think mine went straight from complete to II

Put on hold. LizzyM >80 and no IAs / pretty strong app i'd say. Not sure how to interpret this.

I just checked my status on the portal. No email.

Reactions: 1 users
Marked complete on 7/9 and no change since then, did I get looked over?

+1. I’m not expecting much.

I submitted my secondary around the same timeframe and just got put on hold for re-review like two days ago, I don't think you got looked over. Most likely its just taking them awhile to go through all the applications

Did anyone who already got an II ever have the on-hold status, or did it go right from complete to II?
mine went complete --> under review --> II but it's still super early in the cycle and with GW it seems that most people are put on hold at some point, even those that get accepted.

On hold for re-review. No email, just a change in portal status. Verified 7/8, secondary submitted around same time

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 7/2, on hold for re-review today (portal change, no email)

just checked and see "complete and has been reviewed" which i believe is different from the initial "complete" status

Have there been any rejections? Or only on-hold for review/interviews? Cause if that’s the case.. it makes me think that on-hold for review is really just a soft rejection?...

Have there been any rejections? Or only on-hold for review/interviews? Cause if that’s the case.. it makes me think that on-hold for review is really just a soft rejection?...

They get over 14000 apps. Most people at GW get put on hold for re review . Most haven’t heard anything yet. Doesn’t mean you’re rejected. Just have to be patient and wait. Also I don’t think they silently reject. They will send you an email if you’re outright rejected.

Reactions: 3 users
Does working in a Dengue Virus lab for a summer trying to develop a diagnostic device that can rapidly detect the virus in low resource, high burden countries count as a Clinical Public Health experience?
It depends on how you characterize the experience. It sounds to me like it would be best characterized as translational science research. Unless you are really examining the the application and it’s outcomes in the population you suggested, then it’s probably translational. What are your readouts? Are you measuring outcomes?

Has anyone applying through the international medical program heard anything or seen any change on the portal?

Anyone else with an II or a current student has any advice as to which airport to fly into to minimize cost? I'm flying from the West Coast with a Tuesday II date, so I would probably fly in on Monday and leave Tuesday evening after the interview. Even for just one night, flights are ~$500 to fly into Reagan National :(

I would fly into Reagan. Dulles is over an hour away from DC and youd probably end up spending the same if not more for ground transportation back and forth. Same with BWI.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else with an II or a current student has any advice as to which airport to fly into to minimize cost? I'm flying from the West Coast with a Tuesday II date, so I would probably fly in on Monday and leave Tuesday evening after the interview. Even for just one night, flights are ~$500 to fly into Reagan National :(
I would fly into Reagan. Dulles is over an hour away from DC and youd probably end up spending the same if not more for ground transportation back and forth. Same with BWI.
MARC train will be easy to catch from BWI into Union Station on a Monday (for only $5). So if BWI is significantly cheaper then it's totally doable, will only take an extra hour or so to get there. Otherwise Reagan is definitely your best bet. This process is expensive, unfortunately.

Reactions: 5 users
Went to GW undergrad. Definitely fly into Reagan. Transportation from BWI and Dulles would 1) cost a LOT of $$ and 2) be a pain in the a**.

Reactions: 2 users
Went to GW undergrad. Definitely fly into Reagan. Transportation from BWI and Dulles would 1) cost a LOT of $$ and 2) be a pain in the a**.

Flying into and out of BWI is fine. It’s less than $10 a ticket on the MARC and takes no more than an hour to get to union station. Plus there is a 10min shuttle that takes you from the airport to the train station.

If you can, fly into Reagan, but if you find a cheaper flight into BWI and the hours line up with MARC schedule, the commute isn’t a big deal.

OOS II, complete 7/22; so excited yall!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got off a waitlist for last cycle so I will most likely withdrawing my interview (9/10)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 23 users
Just got off a waitlist for last cycle so I will most likely withdrawing my interview (9/10)
Omg, congratulations on your waitlist acceptance. What an 11th inning comeback!

Reactions: 9 users

holy shiz lmfao thats so awesome! congrats and get the f off the 2019-2020 app cycle threads and go be a doc!

Reactions: 2 users
Flying into and out of BWI is fine. It’s less than $10 a ticket on the MARC and takes no more than an hour to get to union station. Plus there is a 10min shuttle that takes you from the airport to the train station.

If you can, fly into Reagan, but if you find a cheaper flight into BWI and the hours line up with MARC schedule, the commute isn’t a big deal.

MARC train will be easy to catch from BWI into Union Station on a Monday (for only $5). So if BWI is significantly cheaper then it's totally doable, will only take an extra hour or so to get there. Otherwise Reagan is definitely your best bet. This process is expensive, unfortunately.

Thanks everyone! Actually found a much cheaper flight into Reagan, so I’m good on that front.

For the hotel, would you guys recommend just staying at the on-campus hotel? Figured it doesn’t really matter, but I thought I’d ask anyways haha

Thanks everyone! Actually found a much cheaper flight into Reagan, so I’m good on that front.

For the hotel, would you guys recommend just staying at the on-campus hotel? Figured it doesn’t really matter, but I thought I’d ask anyways haha
It's going to be significantly cheaper to stay across the river and take the metro/uber in the morning but if price isn't a concern and you'll happily pay for convenience, the campus hotel will do. It's literally a block from the GW hospital and 2 blocks from Himmelfarb Library, where you will be interviewed. Lots of food options in that area as well.

Anyone else complete over 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything (still have the initial complete status in portal)?

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else complete over 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything (still have the initial complete status in portal)?
I've been completed since 7/9 and nothing yet :(

me, since 7/17. I wish I knew if that meant they just haven't reviewed yet and there's still hope. Last year, everyone I knew got put on hold.

me, since 7/17. I wish I knew if that meant they just haven't reviewed yet and there's still hope. Last year, everyone I knew got put on hold.

I know right ugh it seems like most people had some kind of decision within a week or two since GW seemed to review apps super quickly last year so not really sure what this means (hopefully nothing lol)