2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, but I am a Des Moines native, not sure if that makes any difference
I'm unsure if it does, but if they made it through the high priority list already it's a pretty good sign for the rest of the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A few do. It sounds like those who are alumni from MS programs at DMU, or have strong connections may get pulled before HP
Hmmm interesting, so someone who is not on the HP list got pulled first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

A few do. It sounds like those who are alumni from MS programs at DMU, or have strong connections may get pulled before HP

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Then why not place them in the HP in the first place? They might be also reviewing profiles from the other piles simultaneously and realized these former DMU graduates who fell through the cracks.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook Group for the incoming class? I’ve been looking but haven’t found one!

Also thank you everyone for the updates on the meeting!

Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook Group for the incoming class? I’ve been looking but haven’t found one!

yes there is one. I’m on mobile so I can’t link right more, but if you go to the DMU page, you can find it in the groups section.

Did you find it? I can send you it if you haven't.

Hm hopefully that link works. It’s called “DMU Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine 2024”

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on if it is useful/advantageous to have an ipad? I have a laptop that meets the tech specifications, but I was wondering if an ipad would be helpful as well.

Can any current students comment on if it is useful/advantageous to have an ipad? I have a laptop that meets the tech specifications, but I was wondering if an ipad would be helpful as well.

think it depends on how you learn. I’m the type of person who likes to download slides and write directly on them. Used a lot of paper in undergrad, but our school included several hundred prints with our fees.

Does DMU give us iPads? I know some other schools are doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if anyone remembers me mentioning about wanting the new MacBook Air with a 10th gen 1.1 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. Just saw that the new MacBook Pro 13 is coming out and their baseline is actually the same price as the MBA I wanted. It comes with an 8th gen 1.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD. The upgraded $1800 option comes with a 10th gen 2.0 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. Now, this upgraded option appears a lot more beefier than the baseline, but it's $500 more... Would we even be using anything for school that requires these upgraded specs or would the baseline pro 13 be perfectly fine? I've been reading that the Air has been having heating issues and apparently the new 13 pro has a better cooling system.

I don't plan on playing any PC games on them or running any video/photo editing software.

They all meet the tech requirements.

I don't know if anyone remembers me mentioning about wanting the new MacBook Air with a 10th gen 1.1 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. Just saw that the new MacBook Pro 13 is coming out and their baseline is actually the same price as the MBA I wanted. It comes with an 8th gen 1.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD. The upgraded $1800 option comes with a 10th gen 2.0 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. Now, this upgraded option appears a lot more beefier than the baseline, but it's $500 more... Would we even be using anything for school that requires these upgraded specs or would the baseline pro 13 be perfectly fine? I've been reading that the Air has been having heating issues and apparently the new 13 pro has a better cooling system.

I don't plan on playing any PC games on them or running any video/photo editing software.

Would like to know this as well. I have a 2016 MacBook Air that meets the specs but has a battery issue that I can easily fix before matriculation. I’d rather spend $100 to fix it if I can use it rather than spend $1400+ on a new Mac.

Don’t get the base MacBook Pro if you’re planning to get the 500gb Air because the Air has the newer processors (10th gen) while the baseline Pro has the older ones (8th gen).

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and will be using that since it runs well. I just need to get the screen replaced because of my cats lol.

Don’t forget the Macbook air processors are the y-series processors which aren’t as powerful!

Also guys the Apple website gives a $100 discount off MacBooks for students so make sure to use that to your advantage!

Don’t get the base MacBook Pro if you’re planning to get the 500gb Air because the Air has the newer processors (10th gen) while the baseline Pro has the older ones (8th gen).

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and will be using that since it runs well. I just need to get the screen replaced because of my cats lol.
Yeah, but is there much of a difference? I read an article last night that says the Air's processor are not much faster than the baseline Pro's. I could also just purchase a 1 TB external HDD for $50 if I need more space. But idk... maybe I'll wait for reviews for the baseline model. The only ones online are for the highest spec one, which is $2,000.

Adjustments.jpg

I was thinking about doing this configuration.

Yeah, but is there much of a difference? I read an article last night that says the Air's processor are not much faster than the baseline Pro's. I could also just purchase a 1 TB external HDD for $50 if I need more space. But idk... maybe I'll wait for reviews for the baseline model. The only ones online are for the highest spec one, which is $2,000.

not sure if there’s much of difference. I think the newer processors run cooler and might draw less power giving you more battery life.

Seriously. Wtf is going on. Does anyone have the balls to email them ask what’s going on?
I’ll shoot them an email rn

Edit: emailed them and requested A general timeline for future WL movement, how many WL’s have been accepted, and # of students in the 1st quartile. No clue if they’ll answer any of those tho lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I’ll shoot them an email rn

Edit: emailed them and requested A general timeline for future WL movement, how many WL’s have been accepted, and # of students in the 1st quartile. No clue if they’ll answer any of those tho lol.
King

• Love
I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance today, got into my top choice! I really hope one of you gets it. DMU is a great school! Best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users
View attachment 305918
I was thinking about doing this configuration.

I got a Dell latitude with the i7 8th gen, 16gb ram for 300 bucks, arguably with worse screen and speakers than this Macbook Pro but for 1200 less, I will feel incredibly cheated if I purchased this configuration for 1500 with basically the lesser version of my i7. Check out the new Surface book 3 if you are not afraid of Windows :D

Actually, I might have to eat my words (hopefully lol). I heard another rumor that we are getting iPads, so I emailed the school to ask. I’ll keep you posted
I hope not, I already bought one :(

I got a Dell latitude with the i7 8th gen, 16gb ram for 300 bucks, arguably with worse screen and speakers than this Macbook Pro but for 1200 less, I will feel incredibly cheated if I purchased this configuration for 1500 with basically the lesser version of my i7. Check out the new Surface book 3 if you are not afraid of Windows :D

Yeah there definitely is more powerful stuff out there for less! I am just one of those people that has all Apple stuff and will always buy Mac even if it is outrageously priced . That company definitely sucked me in hahaha.

Yeah there definitely is more powerful stuff out there for less! I am just one of those people that has all Apple stuff and will always buy Mac even if it is outrageously priced . That company definitely sucked me in hahaha.

That's how they got me, however I am in remission now. There are support groups out there, PM me if you need details ;).

I’ve always been Windows but after getting an iPhone a few years ago I’ve been wanting to make the switch. I was thinking of maybe also picking up an iPad with the pencil too, so seems like they are sucking me in now, haha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Does DMU give us iPads? I know some other schools are doing this.

Ok, from the mouth of DMU admissions this morning, “no devices will be provided by the school to incoming students.” I actually prefer this; that way we get to pick out whatever we want

Reactions: 2 users
I was so back and forth about the Air and the Pro when the new Pro came out last week which was basically what I was waiting for before I went ahead and purchased a laptop. After some talks with my more tech-savvy friends, I did end up ordering the Air with the i5, 16GB RAM, and 512 SSD ($1379 with student discount). From what they told me, heat management isn't really an issue unless you're doing heavy duty photo editing, video editing, or gaming, and even the Air will be fine doing these it'll just slow down. They really did recommend going with the upgraded 10th gen chips just for longevity though, but if you want a Pro I'm sure the 8th gen chips would be fine for what we'll be doing. I just know there was no way I was dropping like 500-600 more for the same spec'd new Pro...

I was so back and forth about the Air and the Pro when the new Pro came out last week which was basically what I was waiting for before I went ahead and purchased a laptop. After some talks with my more tech-savvy friends, I did end up ordering the Air with the i5, 16GB RAM, and 512 SSD ($1379 with student discount). From what they told me, heat management isn't really an issue unless you're doing heavy duty photo editing, video editing, or gaming, and even the Air will be fine doing these it'll just slow down. They really did recommend going with the upgraded 10th gen chips just for longevity though, but if you want a Pro I'm sure the 8th gen chips would be fine for what we'll be doing. I just know there was no way I was dropping like 500-600 more for the same spec'd new Pro...

Yeah, I don't plan on doing anything heavy. Plus, I have my desktop if I ever want to game. That $1379 price tag is pretty attractive compared to the Pro. I'm still going to wait a little bit. Not in need of a laptop ATM. If I end up wanting an iPad w/ the pencil too I'll definitely need to get a lesser expensive config.

Does anyone recommend getting the Apple Care+ ?

Do not game on the Air, some reviewers tried this and the CPU basically sits on 100c all the time, you will break your laptop before reaching 2nd year lol.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing anything heavy. Plus, I have my desktop if I ever want to game. That $1379 price tag is pretty attractive compared to the Pro. I'm still going to wait a little bit. Not in need of a laptop ATM. If I end up wanting an iPad w/ the pencil too I'll definitely need to get a lesser expensive config.

Does anyone recommend getting the Apple Care+?
Apple Care+ is 1000% highly recommended, just the ease of mind when using/lugging it around campus/commute is enough to justify the purchase.

I agree 100% with zNoodlez above, it is really good peace of mind

Do not game on the Air, some reviewers tried this and the CPU basically sits on 100c all the time, you will break your laptop before reaching 2nd year lol.
Yeah I've spent what seems like forever watching review videos and saw a lot of them that said that, so we will see I guess but I just don't think I need to worry about it with just doing lectures and notes and such, but what do I know... The thing that did end up giving me the final confidence to just go for it was a couple friends of mine that have older Airs and have for 6+ years with no problems whatsoever even with video editing. It does sound like running either of the quad core processors in it will definitely push the limits of the thermal design though

“Thank you for the email. We have had some movement on the alternate list. The admissions committee will utilize, as needed, until the start of classes in late July. If an offer is extended to you, you will receive an email. Please feel free to send updates to [email protected].“

Reactions: 3 users

I got the iPad Pro 11in with the Apple Pencil and smart folio keyboard case last August and we are in love it’s so skinty and portable. Not to mention the awesome sidecar ability to connect as a second screen to your MacBook. I have friends who splurged for the LTE version for ultimate portability but I just connect it to my iPhone hotspot PRN. it’s so seamless

Last edited:
I got the iPad Pro 11in with the Apple Pencil and smart folio keyboard case last August and we are in love it’s so skinty and portable. Not to mention the awesome sidecar ability to connect as a second screen to your MacBook. I have friends who splurged for the LTE version for ultimate portability but I just connect it to my iPhone hotspot PRN. it’s so seamless

how are you liking the 11 inch? I was considering getting the ipad pro also, but I wasnt sure which screen size to get, 12.9 or 11 inch haha.

I was thinking of the regular iPad over the Pro. BestBuy recently had the regular 7th gen iPad for $250 but now it's back to $329.99. $250 would have been a great price. I mainly want it for notes with the Apple pencil and Anki.