2019-2020 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick questions:

1. For the optional information essay, can we talk about why we would like to go to Case? I'm from Cleveland and have done research at CWRU, UH, and CC since high school, so I guess I could talk about that connection there? (Sorry if someone has already asked this.)
2. In terms of the research essay: I've done both bench work and humanities research (bc I'm a non-science concentrator); would it be fine for me to talk about the research I did in my Junior Tutorial, or should I stick to the science work I've done?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow can they check who has actually applied before they send out emails with the subject line “You Could Be a Great Fit for the CWRU School of Medicine”

Thanks for the heart attack, case

+1, had an internal celebration followed by disappointment

Reactions: 2 users
I think their marketing is detached from application process. The marketing got a list of people who meet the 516+ scores Case is targeting unless someone got this letter with a score below that.
I scores above 516 and didn’t get that

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I scores above 516 and didn’t get that
It is possible their target population is higher than 516 then. Case average is 518 or 519. It all depends on how MCAT sells their numbers and whether a school can request a specific range vs a broader range to target.

It is definitely not to say 516 should not apply, only that they are asking people with higher scores to apply.

WUSTL is popular for sending mailed letters to home addresses when people score in 523 range.

Got a 515 and got that email so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry to be that guy.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a 515 and got that email so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry to be that guy.
In the MCAT application, there are some flags which you can check where no one contacts you. So if 515 got contacted and someone over 516 didn't and there are no additional profilings outside of score range based on race etc, those privacy flags can make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
In the MCAT application, there are some flags which you can check where no one contacts you. So if 515 got contacted and someone over 516 didn't and there are no additional profilings outside of score range based on race etc, those privacy flags can make a difference.
Yeah I know for sure I answered no to something and that might be it lol

how important is the 2-week deadline for case? i submitted 2 days after since i completely missed their strongly suggest w/in 2 weeks aspect of the email

how important is the 2-week deadline for case? i submitted 2 days after since i completely missed their strongly suggest w/in 2 weeks aspect of the email
I’m sure it’s fine. Too late now anyway.

Does anyone if for the college program this, "additional evaluation letter from a research advisor" is separate from a normal LOR from a research advisor? My letter packet already has an LOR from a research advisor

Does anyone if for the college program this, "additional evaluation letter from a research advisor" is separate from a normal LOR from a research advisor? My letter packet already has an LOR from a research advisor
No, that will suffice. If your committee packet specifically includes a separate letter from the research advisor, it is sufficient. If the packet does NOT include the original letter and is merely a summary, then you need a separate letter from the PI.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, that will suffice. If your committee packet specifically includes a separate letter from the research advisor, it is sufficient. If the packet does NOT include the original letter and is merely a summary, then you need a separate letter from the PI.

Yes my packet includes the original letters from my LOR writers. Thank you so much!

Quick questions:

1. For the optional information essay, can we talk about why we would like to go to Case? I'm from Cleveland and have done research at CWRU, UH, and CC since high school, so I guess I could talk about that connection there? (Sorry if someone has already asked this.)
2. In terms of the research essay: I've done both bench work and humanities research (bc I'm a non-science concentrator); would it be fine for me to talk about the research I did in my Junior Tutorial, or should I stick to the science work I've done?
1. The advice in this thread seems to be to leave that essay blank unless you've got something really important to add, but it sounds like you've actually got a pretty strong connection to Case, so I'd say go for it!
2. If you have enough words left you could briefly summarize your humanities research and what you learned from it, but overall I'd focus on the scientific research.

1. The advice in this thread seems to be to leave that essay blank unless you've got something really important to add, but it sounds like you've actually got a pretty strong connection to Case, so I'd say go for it!
2. If you have enough words left you could briefly summarize your humanities research and what you learned from it, but overall I'd focus on the scientific research.

Thanks for the advice @Marr97!

For the second point, I actually emailed people from the College and University programs and they said that it should be fine to talk about any research. Granted, my concentration is History and Science, so I did research within the History of Medicine (about the influence of expanding medical knowledge on media portrayals and the impact that could have on delivering care). I ended up choosing that route as I felt more comfortable with that work, but it's still not full bench/translational research at the end of the day. Idk we'll see, but Case/CCL has quickly jumped up on my ranks (as much as I didn't want to go back home so quickly after college lol).

For the research essay can I just use my abstract for the part about hypothesis methods etc...?

For the research essay can I just use my abstract for the part about hypothesis methods etc...?
If it helps, I started with copy and paste my abstract methods and discussion all as one essay and then I went through it and Taylor it down into one narrative where the focus was less on the specifics of the research and more so on my ability to critically think and conduct research. Many of the specifics were still there but not in the nitty-gritty detail that you would find abstract.

Should I even fill out the research essay? I did research for 1.5 years during UG, didn't go far in my project, but got a very strong LOR from my PI.

Should I even fill out the research essay? I did research for 1.5 years during UG, didn't go far in my project, but got a very strong LOR from my PI.
I had even less time than you, never got a LOR, did the research essay last cycle and ended getting accepted here. I think any project that you invested your time in, they will see as worthwhile.

Reactions: 6 users
My status says my LORs are "Not received" but under Document Status I see all five letters there. Is this something I should contact them about? My application is incomplete because of the LORs

Got an II for university program. Is that an R for the college program?

Reactions: 6 users
Oh, so are they separate processes? For some reason, I thought they would be on the same day or back to back haha.
No, they are separate committees. They share an application system, but treat them as separate schools.

No, they are separate committees. They share an application system, but treat them as separate schools.
Right. It looks like people in the past have gotten IIs from the college program and university program at about the same time, so maybe it's worth waiting a day or two before scheduling?

Right. It looks like people in the past have gotten IIs from the college program and university program at about the same time, so maybe it's worth waiting a day or two before scheduling?
Yah, that might be worthwhile. But I wouldn’t take too long.

On the plus side, Cleveland is always worth a visit lol

OMG II!!!!!!! Submitted 7/3

Reactions: 10 users
Just got a II! 518 MCAT/3.95 GPA, OOS

Reactions: 9 users
LMAO RIP my school doesn't send out our letter packet until August 15 so guess I'm gonna be waiting for a while congrats to everyone getting IIs!

II! Bruh rip my account with these flights

Reactions: 5 users
Duuude do you have a 1st author Nature pub or CEO position? Lmao
If I had a 1st author in nature you bet that would be the first thing in my sig :laugh: alas no, but I'll have a second author soon I'm pretty happy about!

Reactions: 5 users
Trust me if I knew I'd post the recipe :rofl:

No but I'm starting to wish I did. Just got a new card this summer through my bank too RIP
I've got the Chase Sapphire reserve...maybe we could come to an arrangement ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I've

Statistically, only 10% of interview invites are sent out in July. At this pace @u_raptor is looking to have around 90 II by the end of the cycle. For only applying to 44 schools, 90 II is not too shabby.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
II! Bruh rip my account with these flights
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!
You are en fuego!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
he starred in Jurassic Park III. "Child actor" is an S level EC.
URM, LGBT, astronaut, CEO, combat vet, cancer survivor confirmed.
I've

You guys are hilarious and also helping me get over what seems to be a very heavy case of underconfidence in myself :rofl: here I thought I was cookie cutter
Very good chuckle over here, thanks y'all.

And LOL, all about a good deal

You guys are hilarious and also helping me get over what seems to be a very heavy case of underconfidence in myself :rofl: here I thought I was cookie cutter
Very good chuckle over here, thanks y'all.

And LOL, all about a good deal
anyone who quotes my man Marcus in his signature is a total G, and we're all rooting for you : ) congrats dude

• Love
Reactions: 4 users