2019-2020 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it shooting myself in the foot to not write anything for the "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us." question?

I know it says that it isn't necessary to fill this out, but it doesn't explicitly list the prompt as optional, or say that a portion of applicants leave this blank, like it does for the additional info essay.

I genuinely don't have a good answer to it as I'm a traditional applicant who didn't go abroad. I play music as a hobby but I think they included "advanced training" for a reason.

If this prompt is an unwritten requirement (like the "do you consider yourself a diverse applicant" checkbox in tufts secondary), I'll just bite the bullet on the 40 dollar primary fee and withdraw my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it shooting myself in the foot to not write anything for the "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us." question?

I know it says that it isn't necessary to fill this out, but it doesn't explicitly list the prompt as optional, or say that a portion of applicants leave this blank, like it does for the additional info essay.

I genuinely don't have a good answer to it as I'm a traditional applicant who didn't go abroad. I play music as a hobby but I think they included "advanced training" for a reason.

If this prompt is an unwritten requirement (like the "do you consider yourself a diverse applicant" checkbox in tufts secondary), I'll just bite the bullet on the 40 dollar primary fee and withdraw my app.

I left it blank because it mentioned examples and I did not have anything that were similar to those examples.

I get what you mean by unspoken requirement, but I don’t think this one is it.

Hi! I'm so confused. For the grid submission, how do we count the classes?

Let's say that I took 20 humanities courses in undergrad. I put 20 under lecture and then 20 for preferred institution. That looks like I did 20 semesters of humanities when it's just 20 classes right?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
????
Sorry dude.
You confused the s*** out of me with all those 20’s...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I'm so confused. For the grid submission, how do we count the classes?

Let's say that I took 20 humanities courses in undergrad. I put 20 under lecture and then 20 for preferred institution. That looks like I did 20 semesters of humanities when it's just 20 classes right?

Thank you in advance.

I guess I’m confused by your question. If you took 20 semester-long humanities courses, you have done 20 semesters’ worth of humanities, right?

I guess I’m confused by your question. If you took 20 semester-long humanities courses, you have done 20 semesters’ worth of humanities, right?

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is this...
Let's say I did

Fall 2018: 3 humanities courses
Fall 2019: 3 humanities courses

Under total number of semesters, would I select 6 (3+3) OR 2 since that's only 2 semesters

Is that a better explanation?

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is this...
Let's say I did

Fall 2018: 3 humanities courses
Fall 2019: 3 humanities courses

Under total number of semesters, would I select 6 (3+3) OR 2 since that's only 2 semesters

Is that a better explanation?

It’s 6. You took 6 semester-long courses in humanities. 1 semester of a humanities course = 1 semester humanities.

It’s not saying you have to take *only* humanities courses in a semester for it to be counted as a semester.

how many credits per semester per humanities course? So 1 humanities course x 4 credits = 4 credits.
You can do the math from there

It’s 6. You took 6 semester-long courses in humanities. 1 semester of a humanities course = 1 semester humanities.

It’s not saying you have to take *only* humanities courses in a semester for it to be counted as a semester.

Thank you so much for the explanation!!! I was so confused before. o_O

how many credits per semester per humanities course? So 1 humanities course x 4 credits = 4 credits.
You can do the math from there

They wrote this though:
  • Count semesters, not credit hours.

But I'm okay now. I think that I got it! Thank you for reaching out!

Reactions: 1 users
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary Received 7/11/19
Secondary Submitted 7/30/19

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about classifications:
Should psychology be listed under humanities? They say to include social sciences and isn't psych considered a social science

I have a bunch of credit for biology research, should I include these as biology courses or leave them out

Should we leave out classes that don't apply to anything (Intro to technology, public speaking, thesis prep courses, etc.)

Question about classifications:
Should psychology be listed under humanities? They say to include social sciences and isn't psych considered a social science

I have a bunch of credit for biology research, should I include these as biology courses or leave them out

Should we leave out classes that don't apply to anything (Intro to technology, public speaking, thesis prep courses, etc.)
Yes psych is a humanities

I personally would put bio research under bio for lab.

I had a lot of these courses and threw them under humanities. They said they’d contact if they had questions

Yes psych is a humanities

I personally would put bio research under bio for lab.

I had a lot of these courses and threw them under humanities. They said they’d contact if they had questions
psych and sociology are recognized as social science courses at BU... humanities are courses like history, romance studies, english, classical studies, etc

psych and sociology are recognized as social science courses at BU... humanities are courses like history, romance studies, english, classical studies, etc
From what I recall, there wasn’t an explicit social sciences section on the pre req Grid... therefore it falls under humanities

For the prompt "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us", would a study abroad experience or travel experience count?

For the prompt "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us", would a study abroad experience or travel experience count?
I studied abroad and left it blank. Just depends on what you can say. I wouldn’t force anything

I had a clinical experience abroad. I wrote something small about that as it wasn't mentioned anywhere else in my application

That happened to me last year with another school. I think you can submit the secondary whenever you want. It just won't get reviewed until your primary is verified. I think some schools just pepper everyone who is applying there with a secondary, no prescreen involved.
Do you think they look at turnaround time for the secondary if they send it to you before verification?

Do you think they look at turnaround time for the secondary if they send it to you before verification?

I hope not.

Secondary Submitted 7/30/19
Complete 7/31/19

For people who are reapplicants, how are you differentiating between the gap year essay and reapplicant essay? I feel like they are the exact same thing/
In my gap year essay I focused on how I was spending my year and in the reapp essay I focused on how my gap years activities make me a stronger applicant without reiterating everything that I'm doing during my gap year. I kept both of them pretty short and to the point.

I'm submitting my secondary tonight and I'm planning on leaving it blank. I actually did study abroad for a year but I wrote about it as a "meaningful experience" in my AMCAS application and I think it would be worse to be redundant than to leave it blank

I'm submitting my secondary tonight and I'm planning on leaving it blank. I actually did study abroad for a year but I wrote about it as a "meaningful experience" in my AMCAS application and I think it would be worse to be redundant than to leave it blank
I ended up leaving it blank as well. Good luck!

Anybody an incoming/past MAMS student applying this cycle?

II!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
II just now, complete like two weeks ago

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Time to start freaking out because this is a school that actually says they review apps in order.

II just now, completed on 7/15.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yikes, what are your complete dates? I was 7/23. (but no II as of yet)

When your problem isn't that you're hoping for II but rather figuring out how you're going to afford touring the country to attend the 30 II you're going to end up with haha. Great job bro, although I'm still questioning why a 3.97, 522, WD 96 applied to 44....
Yeah costs are a little annoying lol. But it was very much a case of under-confidence...

Where did they say they review in strict chronological order?

Complete email, though I’m unsure how strict. “...reviewed in the order they are completed”

I highly doubt that if you've submitted early and haven't received an II that you are ineligible for receiving one later. I think what's more likely is that they will compare you to applicants who submitted later and determine invitations based on that.

Do they not give out II's until they get CASPer?

II!
-submitted 7/11
-complete 7/15
-II 8/8

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II! Complete on 7/16. 3.73, 515, Hispanic