2019-2020 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received, OOS verified 6/27

Members don't see this ad.

"No Health Professions Advisory Committee letter is available to me for the following reason(s):" prompt is coming up for me even though I mentioned that a committee letter will be coming it just hasn't been sent yet?

Anyone else getting this?

For the coursework section....are you guys just adding things based on AMCAS BCPM classification;

For example, I have a Physiology course that was classified as BIO, but not taken trhough Bio department...should I throw it under biological sciences here

Members don't see this ad :)
For the coursework section....are you guys just adding things based on AMCAS BCPM classification;

For example, I have a Physiology course that was classified as BIO, but not taken trhough Bio department...should I throw it under biological sciences here

Just kidding, instructions say use university's classification

Just got a secondary with my garbage stats (well, they're not trash everywhere, but trash by BU standards)

Anyway, I'm being a little neurotic about this prerequisites grid. I am applying to medical school having completed all medical school prerequisites as a post-bac. My degree and minor from my undergraduate institutions were both in the humanities, so I have 28 semesters worth of humanities coursework over 4 years - I took only 3 non-humanities courses the entire time I was an undergrad.

The grid on the secondary maxed out at 20 semesters, so I explained that I actually took 28 semester-long humanities courses in the text box. What do you all think? Did anyone else have a similar issue?

Just got a secondary with my garbage stats (well, they're not trash everywhere, but trash by BU standards)

Anyway, I'm being a little neurotic about this prerequisites grid. I am applying to medical school having completed all medical school prerequisites as a post-bac. My degree and minor from my undergraduate institutions were both in the humanities, so I have 28 semesters worth of humanities coursework over 4 years - I took only 3 non-humanities courses the entire time I was an undergrad.

The grid on the secondary maxed out at 20 semesters, so I explained that I actually took 28 semester-long humanities courses in the text box. What do you all think? Did anyone else have a similar issue?
Are we even required to list every single course? I thought it was just for competency sake

Are we even required to list every single course? I thought it was just for competency sake

I wasn't sure either, but I decided to include every single course possible for each course category. I'm sure it shouldn't matter since they have access to our academic record anyway

This is a cut and paste from the Prerequisite Grid section of the secondary, emphasis mine:

Categorize your courses using your transcript as a guide, counting each class only once. Some courses may fit into more than one category, in these cases, chose the best option to reflect the course content. Please include every class that you have taken in each category, not just the minimum to meet the prerequisites.

So my read on this is "include everything".

This is a cut and paste from the Prerequisite Grid section of the secondary, emphasis mine:

Categorize your courses using your transcript as a guide, counting each class only once. Some courses may fit into more than one category, in these cases, chose the best option to reflect the course content. Please include every class that you have taken in each category, not just the minimum to meet the prerequisites.

So my read on this is "include everything".
Oh oops I missed that. I put a lot but I think I left out 3-4 courses

It was honestly a super confusing section. I had some biology classes that were lecture/lab combined, and some where lecture and lab were separate offerings, so it looked really strange on the grid. I tried my best to address it in the explanation.

I'm sure we're not the only ones confused about how/what to report. The good news is that the instructions also said BU would contact you if they had any questions regarding your coursework. I'm sure you're fine!

just checked mine and I did it correctly except for the chemistry section, it looks like I graduated as a chem major having only taken two chem classes lol

It was honestly a super confusing section. I had some biology classes that were lecture/lab combined, and some where lecture and lab were separate offerings, so it looked really strange on the grid. I tried my best to address it in the explanation.

I'm sure we're not the only ones confused about how/what to report. The good news is that the instructions also said BU would contact you if they had any questions regarding your coursework. I'm sure you're fine!
Yeah I ended up leaving out a bunch of P/F courses and like courses I didn't know how to categorize... *facepalm*

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the general consensus that study abroad is an appropriate topic for the "educational history" prompt?

Also, what are the thoughts on adapting a diversity essay for the "additional information" prompt?

Hi everyone. Made an account just to ask this question.

I'm applying MSTP and am struggling to fit a comprehensive response to their MD/PhD app question. The prompt says "If this is covered in your AMCAS Personal Statement, type 'See AMCAS Personal Statement'". Do you think it would be ok for me to mention a research experience then say refer to my significant research essay for more information?

Part of my problem is my research interests are pretty niche and I waste a lot of space giving background information that's already included in my sig research essay. Thoughts?

Hi everyone. Made an account just to ask this question.

I'm applying MSTP and am struggling to fit a comprehensive response to their MD/PhD app question. The prompt says "If this is covered in your AMCAS Personal Statement, type 'See AMCAS Personal Statement'". Do you think it would be ok for me to mention a research experience then say refer to my significant research essay for more information?

Part of my problem is my research interests are pretty niche and I waste a lot of space giving background information that's already included in my sig research essay. Thoughts?
I think that's a good way of approaching it! I did this in other secondaries, I referenced something I covered in my AMCAS Application as "I discussed this in my AMCAS Application, but _____" and then explained further. The reverse is fine too, as long as all the info is included somewhere. No need to repeat yourself, not enough characters for that lol

Reactions: 1 user
For the course grid, do dual credit courses count as being at a preferred institution?

Do I need an IA letter for a minor alcohol violation? Don't even know who I would ask for that...

Yes - I had a super minor IA and I had to jump through a few hoops with my undergrad but eventually found my original conduct letter, which a guy sent in and now it's checked off in the app portal. I would try calling your dean's office or whoever you originally were in contact with with the IA.

It says it on the website: Requirements | School of Medicine

"CASPer is recommended for the 2019-2020 cycle. It will be required in the 2020-2021 cycle.
If you took the CASPer test in spring 2019, you may have the score sent to us by selection Boston University School of Medicine on the CASPer school list.
Latest CASPer accepted test date: November 19, 2019"

I hear lots of US schools aren't actually using it yet. They're just taking data to decide how they want to weight it in future years--that's what I'm guessing this is. I sent it. If I get in here, I want my future classmates to not suck and that means good data.

I was surprised to find that they explicitly say they review apps in the order they were submitted.
Maybe everyone should post their submission date, when their app got under review, and when they heard back to give everyone a good idea on the timeline?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey yall, for the "personal connection" section of the BUSOM secondary, is it worth noting that one of my best friends is attending the BU Dental School and providing her name? or is that a little bit of a stretch? LOL

I was surprised to find that they explicitly say they review apps in the order they were submitted.
Maybe everyone should post their submission date, when their app got under review, and when they heard back to give everyone a good idea on the timeline?

Why?
Who cares? How does that information change anything about what you have done or what you will do going forward, except create more anxiety?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Hey yall, for the "personal connection" section of the BUSOM secondary, is it worth noting that one of my best friends is attending the BU Dental School and providing her name? or is that a little bit of a stretch? LOL

IMO, yeah, a bit of a stretch :) I'd only include that if a friend were in the MD program.

• Love
Why?
Who cares? How does that information change anything about what you have done or what you will do going forward, except create more anxiety?

There are many reasons. It gives everyone an indication on how long the review process takes from submission to review or decision-making, and how that period changes over time. With that information, current and future applicants can review this thread and make a more informed decision on how soon they need to submit their applications before it gets too prolonged, position Boston's timeline with respect to other schools (for those who prioritize secondaries based on urgency), and to indicate for current applicants approximately how soon until their application may be reviewed. If that gives you anxiety, I understand that and feel free not to participate. But others may gain relief because of the reasons I listed earlier.

OK
whatever gives you comfort. Go for it
Bit judging from the number of responses to your request, Id venture to say most people feel the same way I do

Anyone else's photo preview look smushed? Should I crop it somehow and re-upload

For the BU affiliation question, the instructions at the top say this:

2. Complete the Boston University School of Medicine or Boston Medical Center Connection only if you have a direct personal connection to one or both of these organizations. Most applicants do not complete the BUSM/BMC Connection.

but the actual question says this:

Do you have a personal connection to BUSM or BMC, or any other part of Boston University?

I have a parent who got a Master's at BU. Wondering if I still say yes to this section? Thanks!

My school does not offer a committee packet. I have been out of school for over a year, and have a letter from my PI, a few from physicians I work with, and a science faculty from undergrad. I am receiving a second science letter but not until mid august, as the professor is undergoing some personal health issues and is unable to write it. My PI taught one of my intro level biology classes... does that count as two science letters? Is it better to submit my secondary and use the PI, STEM professor, and a work-related letter? Or should I hold off about a month until I can get the second science letter on file?

My school does not offer a committee packet. I have been out of school for over a year, and have a letter from my PI, a few from physicians I work with, and a science faculty from undergrad. I am receiving a second science letter but not until mid august, as the professor is undergoing some personal health issues and is unable to write it. My PI taught one of my intro level biology classes... does that count as two science letters? Is it better to submit my secondary and use the PI, STEM professor, and a work-related letter? Or should I hold off about a month until I can get the second science letter on file?

From what I understand, as long as your PI's name appears on your transcript, then your PI's letter counts as a science letter.

From what I understand, as long as your PI's name appears on your transcript, then your PI's letter counts as a science letter.

Our university does not include instructors name on the transcript BUT, I discussed this with him and he mentioned that he opens the letter by stating that he met me when instructing me in X course but he really got to know me well through our research. Worth a call/email to the admissions office? Or should I just go for it and submit?

Thank you!!

Based on the specific language used in clarifying the direct personal connection to BUSM or BMC, I would say that a parent getting a Master's at BU does not constitute a direct personal connection between you and BUSM/BMC; probably means having gone to either of those for something academic/employment/workshop/treatment-related or volunteering/research/parent works there. Others might interpret differently, idk.
I already submitted it listing my parent's Masters woops, haha. But thanks!

application complete on july 19...any idea when these IIs are coming?

also weirdest thing were those course classifications, none of my other schools had me do anything remotely like that

application complete on july 19...any idea when these IIs are coming?

also weirdest thing were those course classifications, none of my other schools had me do anything remotely like that

I’m expecting a II tomorrow. I’d be shocked if you didn’t get one too.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This might be a silly question, but as I'm not verified yet, can I still submit my secondary for BU? Or should I wait until I am actually verified?

This might be a silly question, but as I'm not verified yet, can I still submit my secondary for BU? Or should I wait until I am actually verified?

Did BU send you a secondary? As far as I know your app has to be verified by AMCAS then they send your primary to the schools you choose then those schools send you a secondary.

Did BU send you a secondary? As far as I know your app has to be verified by AMCAS then they send your primary to the schools you choose then those schools send you a secondary.
I did receive the secondary from them without being verified.

That happened to me last year with another school. I think you can submit the secondary whenever you want. It just won't get reviewed until your primary is verified. I think some schools just pepper everyone who is applying there with a secondary, no prescreen involved.

That happened to me last year with another school. I think you can submit the secondary whenever you want. It just won't get reviewed until your primary is verified. I think some schools just pepper everyone who is applying there with a secondary, no prescreen involved.

In that case, I would submit the secondary. Worst that can happen is they won’t review it until you’re verified

In that case, I would submit the secondary. Worst that can happen is they won’t review it until you’re verified

Thank you!

So I don't have my premed commitee letter yet. Am I just NOT allowed to submit this secondary then? I'm not seeing any other option to submit.

So I don't have my premed commitee letter yet. Am I just NOT allowed to submit this secondary then? I'm not seeing any other option to submit.
I submitted before receiving my committee letter and I got marked complete a few days after they arrived.

what types of things have people written for: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank.

Left it blank

what types of things have people written for: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank.

I left blank

Hey guys,

I feel dumb for asking this but in my undergrad I was on a quarter system. BU's instructions say, "Quarter to Semester Conversion: 3 quarters = 2 semesters. You can round up if your conversion does not come out to a whole number".

From this conversion scale 1 quarter= 0.666 semesters. Thus if I took 2 quarters of a class= 1.33 semesters do I round it off to 2 semesters or 1?

Hey guys,

I feel dumb for asking this but in my undergrad I was on a quarter system. BU's instructions say, "Quarter to Semester Conversion: 3 quarters = 2 semesters. You can round up if your conversion does not come out to a whole number".

From this conversion scale 1 quarter= 0.666 semesters. Thus if I took 2 quarters of a class= 1.33 semesters do I round it off to 2 semesters or 1?

Since they said you could round up, that's what I did. Go with 2!