2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time posting and long term lurker.. on the day of my interview, I was told my assigned interviewer couldn’t make it and so they had someone else interview me in her place. After my interview, I couldn’t find their contact information online or in the cdc directory and so I didn’t follow up w a thank you letter. I totally regret not sending a follow up thank you email and I can’t help but assume I’m not getting a call bc of this. Did anyone contact their interviewer afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I just got the call from an Atlanta Georgia phone number today (5:15 my time) I currently live in Texas and was placed in Nashville Tennessee. Not sure if I will accept because my second option was graduate school in Atlanta and I strongly think I want to purse my MPH. I will keep you all updated!!! So excited either way.

Reactions: 1 users
First time posting and long term lurker.. on the day of my interview, I was told my assigned interviewer couldn’t make it and so they had someone else interview me in her place. After my interview, I couldn’t find their contact information online or in the cdc directory and so I didn’t follow up w a thank you letter. I totally regret not sending a follow up thank you email and I can’t help but assume I’m not getting a call bc of this. Did anyone contact their interviewer afterwards?
100% sure that's not the reason. Don't worry. Wait till August. In the meantime, apply for other things. While PHAP is a great opportunity, it's not the only one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
100% sure that's not the reason. Don't worry. Wait till August. In the meantime, apply for other things. While PHAP is a great opportunity, it's not the only one.
You are absolutely right. I appreciate the response and reassurance.

I agree with @lulalime. Not to worry. Personally, I did not send a thank you note either. I could be wrong, but I suspect it wouldn't hurt or help for a government job since they have to follow a very strict and transparent process. Keep reminding yourself of all your strengths and successes and move on as if this is mere background noise :)

Hello all, I've been on edge of my seat waiting to hear back. I just got the call from a Georgia phone number (6:30 EST) and was offered a position!

I am from/currently live on Long Island and was placed on Long Island (what are the chances?). The woman I spoke with on the phone told me I will receive an email tomorrow with more information.

She wasn't able to tell me the exact location on Long Island nor the area of focus I would be working in - hoping the email will include this information.

For folks who have received the official email with an offer, did the email contain information re: where exactly they would be and/or what the area of focus would be re: public health issue?

Best of luck to everyone who's waiting to hear back!
Hello! Congrats! I received an offer too! In Bradenton, Fl. The lady told me I would an email but I haven’t gotten it yet. Have you received the email? If so, what was the lady’s name I can’t recall it

I agree with @lulalime. Not to worry. Personally, I did not send a thank you note either. I could be wrong, but I suspect it wouldn't hurt or help for a government job since they have to follow a very strict and transparent process. Keep reminding yourself of all your strengths and successes and move on as if this is mere background noise :)
Y’all are sweet! I appreciate the feedback and uplifting words ❤️ I have a decent job and I give thanks for this current opportunity however, working with CDC would have made this experience even sweeter. There aren’t many health agencies in my area that offer positions for recent grads in the field of maternal-child health. Whatever the outcome, Im inspired and motivated to manifest such opportunities to work w mamas and their families, where I’m at.

Wishing you all luck on this continued journey and reminding everyone (and myself) to trust the process.

Reactions: 2 users
Y’all are sweet! I appreciate the feedback and uplifting words ❤️ I have a decent job and I give thanks for this current opportunity however, working with CDC would have made this experience even sweeter. There aren’t many health agencies in my area that offer positions for recent grads in the field of maternal-child health. Whatever the outcome, Im inspired and motivated to manifest such opportunities to work w mamas and their families, where I’m at.

Wishing you all luck on this continued journey and reminding everyone (and myself) to trust the process.
After hitting reply, I realized the comment “trust the process” sounded like a line from 3% ha. For clarification I meant, trust the life-process; everything unfolds in our favor.

So glad I'm not the only one going through all these emotions. This forum has kept me (somewhat) sane. Has anyone received an offer for the west coast?

Hi everyone, I agree that this forum has definitely been helpful and felt very much like a safe place with genuinely kind PHAP hopefuls for a long time reader, first-time poster. I saw in last years group the encouragement to do something to take your mind off the waiting for those of us that have not yet heard our good report, so that's what I am trying to do. :) Hope this helps and remember all will be well- positive thoughts!!!!!

Hi All, someone want to take my spot in Portland, Oregon? I'm a little beside myself right now. I graduated with my MPH two years ago, and applied for this because I was having a hard time finding a public health job in Seattle, where I'm from. However, during the application process, I accepted a Health Data Analyst job with a national non-profit in DC. I moved out to DC about a month ago for the job, and into an apartment this weekend.

Then I got an offer for PHAP in Seattle's sister city... GUYS. WTF??

It's really the location that's throwing me for a loop. My new job is much better - I'm actually designing research projects and doing really cool stuff that I wouldn't be able to do at this level in PHAP, but moving to DC was a big move. So, yeah. I'm going to decline, and one of you lovely people will be going to Portland in my stead. It's a fun city, you'll have a great time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All, someone want to take my spot in Portland, Oregon? I'm a little beside myself right now. I graduated with my MPH two years ago, and applied for this because I was having a hard time finding a public health job in Seattle, where I'm from. However, during the application process, I accepted a Health Data Analyst job with a national non-profit in DC. I moved out to DC about a month ago for the job, and into an apartment this weekend.

Then I got an offer for PHAP in Seattle's sister city... GUYS. WTF??

It's really the location that's throwing me for a loop. My new job is much better - I'm actually designing research projects and doing really cool stuff that I wouldn't be able to do at this level in PHAP, but moving to DC was a big move. So, yeah. I'm going to decline, and one of you lovely people will be going to Portland in my stead. It's a fun city, you'll have a great time.
Hi, I actually just got an offer today for Oroville, CA! Not sure if it's possible for someone to take your spot though (although I would definitely be interested because I love Portland haha). But also that's ok! It just means it wasn't meant to be. DC is still an amazing place, and as long as you enjoy it, that's all that really matters.

Congrats on your Minneapolis placement! I'm placed here as well so let me know if you have any questions about the Twin Cities. Based on your location you will most likely be located in the Minneapolis Health Department
Cool- how long have you been in your role in Minneapolis? On another front, how is the public transit system? Just wondering about commute options....

Hi all,

Long time lurker here! But I just got an offer today at 3pm PST. The number that called me had a 404 area code. I currently reside in Los Angeles, CA and my assignment is Oroville, CA. I was hoping to be relocated to NorCal (specifically San Jose or San Francisco), but I guess this is as close as I'll get to SF because Oroville is 3-4 hrs away haha! Wondering if anyone else has received an offer there or close by?

Last edited:
Cool- how long have you been in your role in Minneapolis? On another front, how is the public transit system? Just wondering about commute options....
I'm in the first year of the program. As far as public transit goes, it's a solid system as long as you work downtown. I move around the city a lot for work so I find it's much easier to drive or bike to work. When I work downtown I will take the bus. Feel free to message me with any other questions!

Hi guys! This is my first time posting but I've been reading the posts for about a week or so and everyone seems very nice and supportive! I got the call last night which was amazing!! Now I am anxiously waiting for the email! For those that have been contacted, how long did it take for you to get your email?

I got the call today! I know, it's Saturday. She said they have a lot of calls to make - they have
150 slots.

The email came from usastaffingoffice.

My assignment is in Minneapolis.

Good luck y'all!

Congrats on getting your placement!! If you feel comfortable can you tell me how long it took you to receive the email after being contacted by phone?

Thank you!!

I just got the call about an hour ago.
The call came from a 770 number.
My assignment is in the US Virgin Islands

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys! This is my first time posting but I've been reading the posts for about a week or so and everyone seems very nice and supportive! I got the call last night which was amazing!! Now I am anxiously waiting for the email! For those that have been contacted, how long did it take for you to get your email?
where will you be placed?? congratulations!

I just got my call!!! I currently live in Mississippi and am being placed in albuquerque, New Mexico. Not excited about my placement but my anxiety is gone! Lol

Is anyone else in New Mexico?

I also asked about the hanging location with other associates thing, she said she wasn’t sure and to email back with the question.

Congrats to everyone getting the call!!!

And to everyone still waiting -- you are not alone :p

I missed a call from the CDC’s HR department. I immediately called back and left a voicemail. How soon would I get a follow up email if I’ve been accepted? The call was unclear.

I just got my call!!! I currently live in Mississippi and am being placed in albuquerque, New Mexico. Not excited about my placement but my anxiety is gone! Lol

Is anyone else in New Mexico?

I also asked about the hanging location with other associates thing, she said she wasn’t sure and to email back with the question.

Hi there! I got Albuquerque, NM also!

Hi there! I got Albuquerque, NM also!
. Great! I tried sending over my info but your page is locked! I’ll be sure to find you at training in October though!

Good luck to everyone else!

. Great! I tried sending over my info but your page is locked! I’ll be sure to find you at training in October though!

Good luck to everyone else!
I think I fixed my profile! I will try and find you then also!!

Got the call. Been placed in Nashville, TN. Will decide if I take it. I am in Atlanta currently. Nice to hear back, but would like to stay in Atlanta.

Best of luck to everyone! Thanks for all the support and updates.

Just got my call today, was placed in Long Island City, in NYC, and received my email within 10 minutes of the call. Likely taking the position, just unsure about moving to NYC when I was so set on being in Atlanta.

If anyone knows any information about the LIC office or housing or anything of that nature, please let me know!

To all previous/current PHAPs, are you able to live on your PHAP salary?? Honestly the only thing I am worried about - making ends meet the first year! Advice please!

Hi all!! I’m happy to hear all the news!! I accepted a placement for NY!

Has anyone started the new hire process? I submitted necessary information but haven’t received a call yet and it’s been over a week. I know that the Program Coordinators are working on contacting potential program participants right now but I’m nervous and scared that I’m missing something or that interpreted my email wrong lol

Just got my call today, was placed in Long Island City, in NYC, and received my email within 10 minutes of the call. Likely taking the position, just unsure about moving to NYC when I was so set on being in Atlanta.

If anyone knows any information about the LIC office or housing or anything of that nature, please let me know!

My placement is in Queens! From what I saw on the CDC website about past NYC PHAP placements, a lot of people who were placed in LIC worked at the New York City Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene. Currently looking at housing and etc. for NYC too. I’m looking in Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn and North Jersey for housing since the rent is cheaper out of the city.

To all previous/current PHAPs, are you able to live on your PHAP salary?? Honestly the only thing I am worried about - making ends meet the first year! Advice please!
Current associate here. It is possible def. I have a small pt job on the side just for extra money during off time but if you budget right and be open for housing then anything is possible. I always look at it as a way to teach me financial literacy early in my career lol. Use a takehome pay calculator based on your salary and use that to determine how much you are willing to spend on rent and other things that you might have like car note and etc. Thats what I did and it actually worked out. Let me know if you need more advice/help!

Im not sure if this was shared with all the incoming associates. Here is a map that shows current associates that are placed in some of your assigned areas. Great way to connect to find more advice about the areas you are moving to, housing options, transportation, and possible how your host site might be.

CDC - Map of Associate Assignments - About PHAP

I missed a call from the CDC’s HR department. I immediately called back and left a voicemail. How soon would I get a follow up email if I’ve been accepted? The call was unclear.

I also missed a call from the CDC's HR department yesterday and called back and left a voicemail. Do you have any more information about when I could expect to hear back again?

Congrats on your Minneapolis placement! I'm placed here as well so let me know if you have any questions about the Twin Cities. Based on your location you will most likely be located in the Minneapolis Health Department

Hi! I just got placed in St. Paul! I’m going to shoot y’all a message, but yay and congrats to all!

Hey everyone, I just declined my offer for the Nashville Tennessee placement. I'll be attending grad school in Atlanta (I'm from Texas). I will be reapplying right before I graduate. Hopefully, one of you all who are still waiting get that call soon. Best of luck to everyone and congrats!!

Still no email. I gave them a call today and the person I spoke with said that they're in the process of sending them out and to give a call back Friday if I haven't gotten it by then.

Have you gotten your email yet? I waited the 24 hours and I still haven't gotten mine and when I called number back from who called me originally they didn't answer.

Hey everyone, I just declined my offer for the Nashville Tennessee placement. I'll be attending grad school in Atlanta (I'm from Texas). I will be reapplying right before I graduate. Hopefully, one of you all who are still waiting get that call soon. Best of luck to everyone and congrats!!

Good luck on Grad School! If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your email? You and I were contacted via phone on the same day and im hoping I get my email soon.

Good luck on Grad School! If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your email? You and I were contacted via phone on the same day and im hoping I get my email soon.
My email came on July 9 and it says it was sent at 7:11pm

Hi there. I'm a current PHAP stationed in Columbus, Ohio at Columbus Public Health. Please reach out to me if you are offered a position in Columbus as I am happy to answer any questions about the area or general PHAP questions!

I think the salary is livable but not for like a luxurious life. I save money by packing my lunch at work/eating dinner at home most days as opposed to eating out. Having a roommate helps too; I live alone in a higher priced apartment for the Columbus area and still have a pretty good discretionary income each month. Of course it varies person to person depending on what other expenses you have to cover such as car payment or health insurance.

Also, I noticed many people were asking about when they will find out their specific office location and what work you will be doing... you likely won't get this information until after the background screening process. I got offered my position on July 24 (y'all are lucky to be finding out much earlier!), was cleared by security on August 10 and was given by office location information on August 14. Hope this is helpful and congrats to everyone receiving offers! PHAP is an amazing experience

Just got placed in Albany, NY! Does anyone know how its like or any previous PHAP's placed in Albany? How are living expenses and the work environment etc.

Got my offer Monday! Placement in Phoenix, AZ! Anyone else in the area?

Just got my offer! I'll be placed in Hickory, NC! I got the call around 6:30pm.

Hi All!
just accepted my position today. Any Long Island City PHAPs from past classes?

Accepted my offer for Minneapolis, MN today! Relocating from Baltimore, MD. Yesterday I received the call around 3 (but missed it) and received an email at 7am EST.