***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with above advice as well, and good luck! Please share or PM me your top MCAT tips for scoring in the 520s if you wouldn't mind:whistle:
I can shoot you a PM; don't want to clog the application thread too much haha. I think your profile's locked atm though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Fam,
I'm hoping to get some help formulating my out-of-state school list. I was just verified today. I'm a California resident and have already added all UCs, UCLA/Drew, USC, and Stanford. I was advised in WAMC forum to apply anywhere I wanted for out-of-state, but would love some ideas on where other URMs with similar stats have had luck or any recommendations you may have. I don't have a lot of funds, and applying to all top schools seems crazy. Ideally, I want to stay in CA, but don't want to risk zero acceptances by not having a good out-of-state list.

I'm a Black and Mexican-American female, single mom, and a non-trad. I worked in education for 5 years prior to applying. Fluent Spanish.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 510 (126, 129, 127. 128)

Volunteering:
200 hours in low-income clinic. Pretty much all direct patient contact with Spanish-speaking patients
100 hours at center for at-risk youth (running their summer program)
120 hours working with international students

Paid Employment:
10,000 hours (full-time in education, a lot of leadership and responsibility)
600 hours substitute teaching
4500 hours in retail customer service

I was also involved in a program that focused on healthcare disparities, about 70 hours. Included a poster presentation and community service
60 hours of shadowing
I don't have any research.

Would love any thoughts.
I have the same GPA and similar averaged MCATs but flipped research/leadership hours. Are you looking to stay near home?

Some schools you could look into are U Chicago, BU, Tufts, Einstein, Georgetown, SLU, GWU

Edit: Also feel free to PM me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Fam,
I'm hoping to get some help formulating my out-of-state school list. I was just verified today. I'm a California resident and have already added all UCs, UCLA/Drew, USC, and Stanford. I was advised in WAMC forum to apply anywhere I wanted for out-of-state, but would love some ideas on where other URMs with similar stats have had luck or any recommendations you may have. I don't have a lot of funds, and applying to all top schools seems crazy. Ideally, I want to stay in CA, but don't want to risk zero acceptances by not having a good out-of-state list.

I'm a Black and Mexican-American female, single mom, and a non-trad. I worked in education for 5 years prior to applying. Fluent Spanish.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 510 (126, 129, 127. 128)

Volunteering:
200 hours in low-income clinic. Pretty much all direct patient contact with Spanish-speaking patients
100 hours at center for at-risk youth (running their summer program)
120 hours working with international students

Paid Employment:
10,000 hours (full-time in education, a lot of leadership and responsibility)
600 hours substitute teaching
4500 hours in retail customer service

I was also involved in a program that focused on healthcare disparities, about 70 hours. Included a poster presentation and community service
60 hours of shadowing
I don't have any research.

Would love any thoughts.

I had a very similar GPA and same mcat (I had a lot of research but I think your other hours will hours will help make up for that). Thomas Jefferson and SLU are two pretty safe bets for you. I'd also apply to all the HBCU's as though as pretty safe bets. UChicago does like traditional students and community oriented people, so I think you should submit there. Miami, Temple, GW, and Georgetown are some other safe options too. I think you'll definitely nab some interviews, so good luck!

Hi everyone, this thread really gives me hope! Wanted to get some insight on my situation. Plan on applying next cycle.

I’m a CA resident, Mexican, 1st generation, and low SES. Have a 3.6cGPA/3.55sGPA with a 3.9 in my last 60 semester units

Currently studying for the mcat on sept8. Scored a converted 516 on the sample exam and 511 on FL1. Let’s say I apply with a 512 for simplicity sake

I have 1.5 years of research, no pub, strong LOR. Decent LOR’s. 1500+ hours of working with children and disabled people. 100 hours of shadowing various specialties. 140hours of hospital volunteering. Worked at various fast food restaurants during my first two years at community college. Tutored 1 year of community college gen chem

Is it reasonable for me to target the top20 + mid tiers and maybe some low tiers?

Hi everyone, this thread really gives me hope! Wanted to get some insight on my situation. Plan on applying next cycle.

I’m a CA resident, Mexican, 1st generation, and low SES. Have a 3.6cGPA/3.55sGPA with a 3.9 in my last 60 semester units

Currently studying for the mcat on sept8. Scored a converted 516 on the sample exam and 511 on FL1. Let’s say I apply with a 512 for simplicity sake

I have 1.5 years of research, no pub, strong LOR. Decent LOR’s. 1500+ hours of working with children and disabled people. 100 hours of shadowing various specialties. 140hours of hospital volunteering. Worked at various fast food restaurants during my first two years at community college. Tutored 1 year of community college gen chem

Is it reasonable for me to target the top20 + mid tiers and maybe some low tiers?
Absolutely!

Your app is very similar to mine in terms of stats, location and experiences – not Mexican though. In mid-August, I already have an interview to a UC and a good OOS school. I also have a friend with a similar app, who is Mexican, with 3 OOS interviews already.

For now, I would recommend focusing all your time on the MCAT. Then come back with your actual score and see how people with stats/experiences similar to you applied and how they fared. So far you are in a very good place... just knock the MCAT out of the park ;)

Reactions: 1 users

I have very similar stats to yours and have a few top 20 interviews, so I think it’s absolutely reasonable to target top 20 schools + CA schools + any mid/low tier you’d be interested in! Good luck on the Mcat!

I have the same GPA and similar averaged MCATs but flipped research/leadership hours. Are you looking to stay near home?

Some schools you could look into are U Chicago, BU, Tufts, Einstein, Georgetown, SLU, GWU

Edit: Also feel free to PM me

I am hoping to stay in California, but want to have a good out-of-state list just in case. How has this cycle gone for you so far?

I had a very similar GPA and same mcat (I had a lot of research but I think your other hours will hours will help make up for that). Thomas Jefferson and SLU are two pretty safe bets for you. I'd also apply to all the HBCU's as though as pretty safe bets. UChicago does like traditional students and community oriented people, so I think you should submit there. Miami, Temple, GW, and Georgetown are some other safe options too. I think you'll definitely nab some interviews, so good luck!

Thank you for the list! I think I'll add Miami, UChicago, Howard, maybe Georgetown and a few reaches. With your stats, did you get a lot of interviews last cycle?

I am hoping to stay in California, but want to have a good out-of-state list just in case. How has this cycle gone for you so far?

Thank you for the list! I think I'll add Miami, UChicago, Howard, maybe Georgetown and a few reaches. With your stats, did you get a lot of interviews last cycle?
This cycle has gone better than I expected and I am grateful to have the chance to interview at schools back home in California :)

Just wanted to say, that you guys are awesome and keep it up! Even if you're not applying this cycle and just prepping your app, you are making huge strides for yourself and the others that will come after you.

I love coming back to the URM threads and seeing you guys pushing forward. Your apps look great and the drive here is amazing. Continue being great everybody :)

Reactions: 4 users

I applied to 11 schools and got 7 interviews with 6 acceptances and 1 waitlist that I turned down. The 4 I didn’t get were UCLA and 3 ivies.

I applied to 11 schools and got 7 interviews with 6 acceptances and 1 waitlist that I turned down. The 4 I didn’t get were UCLA and 3 ivies.

That's amazing. I hope I'm half as successful as you were!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:
Verified today
Secondaries (I know some are automatic):
Drexel, morehouse, meherry, Rowan Cooper, NSU, st Louis, NYMC, George Washington.
Does anyone know whether or not Nova southeastern sends automatic secondaries?
- perplexed

Hi, guys. I was hoping to get some input because I am getting a lot of different advice. I am a URM (Mexican-American) and my cgpa is 3.46 and sgpa is 3.41. My MCAT score is exactly a 500 and I'm a NY resident. Looking at the MSAR is very, very discouraging and I don't know what schools to apply to. I'm being told not to even submit secondaries now but I'm also hearing that as a URM the MSAR's data doesn't apply as strictly. My non-med volunteering hours are 900+ with the last 4 years in a poor/disadvantaged area, 3000+ clinical/EMT hours and 1000+ research. I think my EC's are good enough but I'm not sure about the rest. What schools should I definitely apply to. People with lower stats say they were interviewed/accepted to certain schools but the MSAR for said schools reflect much higher numbers. Please help me, thank you!
Also Mexican-American here, when I looked at MSAR I used it to find schools where I was around the 10th percentile in GPA or MCAT and also looked to see if my application aligned with their mission. Your ECs definitely sound good enough and I would take a look at your state schools, HBCUs for sure...not sure what other schools to recommend. Possibly consider an MCAT re-take if your only looking to go to MD schools

So I sat on a couple reach schools (Cornell, Yale) because I was getting swamped in secondaries. But now that IIs are coming in, I'm considering sending them in. What do you all think about submitting secondaries >1 month? The official deadlines aren't until October/December.

So I sat on a couple reach schools (Cornell, Yale) because I was getting swamped in secondaries. But now that IIs are coming in, I'm considering sending them in. What do you all think about submitting secondaries >1 month? The official deadlines aren't until October/December.
I'd say give them a shot if you have the time/money! I just submitted NYU's yesterday. Plus Yale, and possibly Cornell, aren't rolling so that helps as well.

Reactions: 2 users

I didn’t submit to Pritzker until October and I’m here. So definitely submit them and anything before Labor Day is perfectly on time.

And now...interview season!

Good luck everyone! We're at the final stretch!

Reactions: 1 users
I have been lucky enough to receive 5 IIs so far. I kept them all geographically close because I did not want to worry about travel costs, however, I am finding myself now worried about all the time I need to take off of work. Many of the dates I am seeing are all September/October and I need to accrue vacation days. Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Is it bad to push non-rolling admission schools back?

Okay, thank you very much. For the most part my GPA seems doable and my EC & goal of working in disadvantaged areas aligns well with a good amount of schools. I was just struggling to use the MSAR because I really just don't measure up, usually just below or at the 10th percentile. A lot of southern states look promising but I'm not sure if it's worth it since they only accept like ~20 out of state kids. Being from NY, all my state schools are very hard to get into, I'm not sure it's even worth me applying with the 500 tbh. I definitely have the HBCUs on there and like 3 newer schools.
I ended up retaking the MCAT because I wanted to have a better shot at my state schools too. Kaiser is opening up a new med school so maybe take a look at them if they open up in time for this cycle. NEOMED is another school you may want to look at if you don't have it on your list already

Wasn't sure if I should make a separate thread for this. For the black males with facial hair, are you going clean shaven for interviews? I feel like we're supposed to be clean shaven, but flip, I look horrible without facial hair. My face doesn't make sense without it, lol. Proper look like a different person. For reference, I keep it clean, dark, and close.
I've seen multiple sources that say as long as it is clean and presentable you will be perfectly fine! Unfortunately, the best I can manage is a few scraggly chin hairs so I have to go clean shaven :laugh:

Wasn't sure if I should make a separate thread for this. For the black males with facial hair, are you going clean shaven for interviews? I feel like we're supposed to be clean shaven, but flip, I look horrible without facial hair. My face doesn't make sense without it, lol. Proper look like a different person. For reference, I keep my beard clean, dark, and close.
I've been shaving. My black MD mentor recommended it.

Sorry to re-post but never got a reply. Does it hurt your admissions chances to move back an interview (beyond the dates listed) for work related reasons? I am really stressing over this!

Can someone help me with a school list? Thanks!!!

AA Female
CA resident
Graduated from top 20 university
NCAA Division I athlete
Non-traditional
3.1 cGPA
3.9 sGPA with post-bacc
3.7 graduate GPA
503 MCAT (124/127/126/126)
800 hours of lab research, 1 publication, 2 poster presentations
175 hours of community service
1000+ hours of patient care

Hello,
I am a Hispanic, first generation male. Florida resident
cGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 509
2000 research hours, 2 poster presentations, head researcher in the lab for 2 years.
300 shadowing hours
100 hours as a medical translator in a clinic providing healthcare to the uninsured.
400 hours non-clinical volunteering
I have applied to numerous schools but I just received my MCAT score since it was a retake and I am thinking of adding a couple of schools.
What would be some "reach schools" or just other schools I can include.
So far I have:
Emory
UNC
UM
UCF
UF
Colorado
Ohio State
Drexel
Temple
Loyola
FAU
Penn State
Vermont
FIU
GW
Saint Louis
Arizona Phoenix
USF
Virginia Commonwealth

Yeah, my risk averse nature agrees with this. Unfortunately, I will likely look like a neonate, fresh out the womb. Hopefully they don't think I'm catfishing because of my bearded headshot, lol.
Same lol I should’ve took a new one after shaving

Sorry to re-post but never got a reply. Does it hurt your admissions chances to move back an interview (beyond the dates listed) for work related reasons? I am really stressing over this!

I moved 2-3 interview dates and it was fine overall. However, I would only do this if you have to and/or if it is early in the interview season (which it is currently) as they will have more ability to work with you. Each time, I explained my financial situation briefly but clearly in an email and before the interview date. You will have to move around work to interview so schools expect some conflicts of time, but they also expect you to make the time when at all possible. Be as respectful and professional as possible, and do not use up your "favors" with the admissions committee and make them do significantly more work to meet you.

All that being said, I think that the earlier you interview, the better (assuming your ready of course). I feel it gets your name in the proverbial hat sooner, your presented to the Adcom quicker, and you get a decision more quickly so you can figure out stuff. You are also not "fighting" for the last few spots in the class. I think interviewing sooner also gives you more time in the Spring to figure things out (more time to schedule more interviews in case you get more interested schools, more time to figure out if your headed towards reapplying, more time to catch up on work, etc.).

That's just my take. Best of luck and feel free to ask me to clarify anything.

Can someone help me with a school list? Thanks!!!

AA Female
CA resident
Graduated from top 20 university
NCAA Division I athlete
Non-traditional
3.1 cGPA
3.9 sGPA with post-bacc
3.7 graduate GPA
503 MCAT (124/127/126/126)
800 hours of lab research, 1 publication, 2 poster presentations
175 hours of community service
1000+ hours of patient care

Just off the top of my head:
  • all of the HBCUs (3)
  • Charles Drew
  • the Philly triplets
  • 3+ in Illinois/Chicago
  • SLU
  • MCW
  • Boonshoft
  • Any reaches Top 20/50 where you fall in at least the 10th percentile MCAT-wise (don't sell yourself short)
You are also a CA resident so competition is stiff for in-state. I am not entirely sure which school in CA would be best to apply to as I have very little experience living/working/applying on the West coast (someone else chime in please). But due to that I would also consider applying DO if you really want to stay in CA because your MCAT might hinder you (thought I think you would be okay without that if you apply OOS). Overall I would say apply very broadly around the nation and to about 30 schools to give yourself the best chances. I like your stats and experiences (I have never been published sooooooo I love that :)), I just think you come from a more competitive place.

Edit: & I used the MSAR, Wedgedawg's Applicant System, and LizzyM to build my school list. I think these three things will help you a lot.

Hello,
I am a Hispanic, first generation male. Florida resident
cGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 509
2000 research hours, 2 poster presentations, head researcher in the lab for 2 years.
300 shadowing hours
100 hours as a medical translator in a clinic providing healthcare to the uninsured.
400 hours non-clinical volunteering
I have applied to numerous schools but I just received my MCAT score since it was a retake and I am thinking of adding a couple of schools.
What would be some "reach schools" or just other schools I can include.
So far I have:
Emory
UNC
UM
UCF
UF
Colorado
Ohio State
Drexel
Temple
Loyola
FAU
Penn State
Vermont
FIU
GW
Saint Louis
Arizona Phoenix
USF
Virginia Commonwealth

With your stats & experiences, I would add every school in Chicago/Illinois that you haven't applied to already (e.g. Northwestern, Rush, U of Chicago, etc.). Maybe UCLA & Charles Drew (if you are feeling the West coast/CA); UCLA game me some love and I was well below you stat-wise. You have great stats and I think you could shoot for a few top schools if you are at least within the 10th percentile range for MCAT.

EDIT: Oh, and any other Midwest schools like MCW would be great additions too.

I moved 2-3 interview dates and it was fine overall. However, I would only do this if you have to and/or if it is early in the interview season (which it is currently) as they will have more ability to work with you. Each time, I explained my financial situation briefly but clearly in an email and before the interview date. You will have to move around work to interview so schools expect some conflicts of time, but they also expect you to make the time when at all possible. Be as respectful and professional as possible, and do not use up your "favors" with the admissions committee and make them do significantly more work to meet you.

All that being said, I think that the earlier you interview, the better (assuming your ready of course). I feel it gets your name in the proverbial hat sooner, your presented to the Adcom quicker, and you get a decision more quickly so you can figure out stuff. You are also not "fighting" for the last few spots in the class. I think interviewing sooner also gives you more time in the Spring to figure things out (more time to schedule more interviews in case you get more interested schools, more time to figure out if your headed towards reapplying, more time to catch up on work, etc.).

That's just my take. Best of luck and feel free to ask me to clarify anything.
Thank you so much!! Any input and advice is appreciated. I agree, it is best to get in there as soon as possible so I am going to try my best to make everything work out. Thanks again

Just off the top of my head:
  • all of the HBCUs (3)
  • Charles Drew
  • the Philly triplets
  • 3+ in Illinois/Chicago
  • SLU
  • MCW
  • Boonshoft
  • Any reaches Top 20/50 where you fall in at least the 10th percentile MCAT-wise (don't sell yourself short)
You are also a CA resident so competition is stiff for in-state. I am not entirely sure which school in CA would be best to apply to as I have very little experience living/working/applying on the West coast (someone else chime in please). But due to that I would also consider applying DO if you really want to stay in CA because your MCAT might hinder you (thought I think you would be okay without that if you apply OOS). Overall I would say apply very broadly around the nation and to about 30 schools to give yourself the best chances. I like your stats and experiences (I have never been published sooooooo I love that :)), I just think you come from a more competitive place.

Edit: & I used the MSAR, Wedgedawg's Applicant System, and LizzyM to build my school list. I think these three things will help you a lot.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

With your stats & experiences, I would add every school in Chicago/Illinois that you haven't applied to already (e.g. Northwestern, Rush, U of Chicago, etc.). Maybe UCLA & Charles Drew (if you are feeling the West coast/CA); UCLA game me some love and I was well below you stat-wise. You have great stats and I think you could shoot for a few top schools if you are at least within the 10th percentile range for MCAT.

EDIT: Oh, and any other Midwest schools like MCW would be great additions too.
Thank you very much for your advice, I’ll definitely add those schools to my list!

Depends on how far back. And your application. October date to January date? Undoubtedly hurts -- fewer spots available. Early September to Early October? Probably not so much.

Does anyone here know of schools that screen out MCAT subsections?

Absolutely!

Your app is very similar to mine in terms of stats, location and experiences – not Mexican though. In mid-August, I already have an interview to a UC and a good OOS school. I also have a friend with a similar app, who is Mexican, with 3 OOS interviews already.

For now, I would recommend focusing all your time on the MCAT. Then come back with your actual score and see how people with stats/experiences similar to you applied and how they fared. So far you are in a very good place... just knock the MCAT out of the park ;)

Thanks! I'll definitely focus on the MCAT for now. Just curious, but do you know of any schools that screen out MCAT sub-section scores? Looking at a lower than average CARS score atm. Hoping i can bring it up to 125 by test day

Several schools have a screen around 500. I've read that Creighton and Georgetown have a 125 subsection screen. I haven't hit any with 126 CARS.

Yea I've read about GTown's sub-section cut-off, but I haven't found any info regarding other schools that may screen out based on sub-sections. There's a Reddit thread with screening info for 60 schools. None of them have any info regarding sub-sections

Would you mind telling me what you did to increase your score?

This is from an earlier answer to that question.
  1. I'm not in school anymore, so did not have competing priorities.
  2. I focused on practice problems. I personally think that doing too much content review messed me up. I was so focused on learning the content that I did not take the time to learn how to actually take the test. Doing practice problems will help you understand your weaknesses and give you something to focus on. I used EK 1001 passages. They were SSSOOO hard but definitely prepared me for the real thing. I also used all of the AMCAS materials except one of the practice tests.
  3. I focused on my problem sections. I barely studied CARS ans Psych/Soc because I was a philosophy minor and had recently taken a psych course. I basically just did a lot of practice passages for these sections and used those to gauge what I needed to refresh my memory on.
  4. I also did practice tests every two weeks and then every week as I got closer to the test date. I kept a journal of every detail that I got wrong and referred to that at least 3 times a week. I also put things I got wrong in practice passages on the tests.
  5. Anki cards. I am not very good at memorizing, so flashcards helped a ton.
I hope that helps!

Reactions: 6 users
This is from an earlier answer to that question.
  1. I'm not in school anymore, so did not have competing priorities.
  2. I focused on practice problems. I personally think that doing too much content review messed me up. I was so focused on learning the content that I did not take the time to learn how to actually take the test. Doing practice problems will help you understand your weaknesses and give you something to focus on. I used EK 1001 passages. They were SSSOOO hard but definitely prepared me for the real thing. I also used all of the AMCAS materials except one of the practice tests.
  3. I focused on my problem sections. I barely studied CARS ans Psych/Soc because I was a philosophy minor and had recently taken a psych course. I basically just did a lot of practice passages for these sections and used those to gauge what I needed to refresh my memory on.
  4. I also did practice tests every two weeks and then every week as I got closer to the test date. I kept a journal of every detail that I got wrong and referred to that at least 3 times a week. I also put things I got wrong in practice passages on the tests.
  5. Anki cards. I am not very good at memorizing, so flashcards helped a ton.
I hope that helps!

Thank you!!

Has anyone heard about the "Students for Fair Admissions" winning justice department support? Am I correct in thinking this won't be an issue for the current application cycle?

I was wondering the same thing. Hypothetically speaking, what would be the implications of Asian-Americans + The Justice Department winning that case?

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. Hypothetically speaking, what would be the implications of Asian-Americans + The Justice Department winning that case?

I just know it goes to trial on October 15th.