***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I just need help with a school list and also I want to know my chances at MD. I only applied to one school at the moment but looking to add some more schools. I have already pre-written some secondaries for other schools.

Hispanic male, bilingual, 1st generation immigrant.
GPA: S 3.6 possible 3.7 depending if my scientific writing class gets classified as english instead of biology, C. 3.7
SMP GPA: 3.29 (all med schools classes, mostly B's and B+, except biochem B-)
MCAT: 506 (128,124,128,126)
Research: somewhat extensive- 2 symposiums, thesis, 1 poster, 1 publication at a good journal. Overall 2000+ hrs
Volunteer/ Leadership: Very involved on my college, president of SGA, president of graduating class, etc)
Clinical experience: Yes, one of my research internships was clinical research which allowed me to shadow physicians as well as to have daily interactions with patients (6 months).
LOR: 2 were written by professors on ADCOM's.
Teaching: Yes started as a volunteer, now I'm one of the programs coordinators for an after school program that helps students from underserved neighborhoods be introduced to the health sciences.

Would appreciate feedback from all lol.

@LizzyM @Goro
Please don't ask WAMC questions or ask me to formulate a school list for you. That's not my forte.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I’m currently in the application process and I need some advice because I’m feeling really defeated. I’m a URM and have had a number of health issues in college which has tremendously impacted my grades. My application just got verified and my sGPA is a 2.8, while my OA GPA is a 3.98 and my cGPA is a 3.2. I also just got my MCAT score in which I scored a 512. If anyone can offer any advice, please do. I have already submitted a primary to U of Cinci, OSU, Tulane, George Washington, Tufts, Columbia, New York medical college, U of Toledo (I am an Ohio resident).

Any and all advice from anyone is appreciated!

@Goro @Faha

Hello! I’m currently in the application process and I need some advice because I’m feeling really defeated. I’m a URM and have had a number of health issues in college which has tremendously impacted my grades. My application just got verified and my sGPA is a 2.8, while my OA GPA is a 3.98 and my cGPA is a 3.2. I also just got my MCAT score in which I scored a 512. If anyone can offer any advice, please do. I have already submitted a primary to U of Cinci, OSU, Tulane, George Washington, Tufts, Columbia, New York medical college, U of Toledo (I am an Ohio resident).

Any and all advice from anyone is appreciated!

@Goro @Faha
Any rising GPA trends?

send apps to ALL OH schools, the HBCs and DO schools. Think about an SMP if you get no love by January

Members don't see this ad :)
Any rising GPA trends?

send apps to ALL OH schools, the HBCs and DO schools. Think about an SMP if you get no love by January
Thank you so much for responding Goro! I can't thank you enough! Do you have any other school recommendations for me to apply to? I posted my stats and extracurriculars above, but I am unsure whether you saw it or not. And unfortunately, due to many health and life issues, there is no rising trend per se.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for responding Goro! I can't thank you enough! Do you have any other school recommendations for me to apply to? I posted my stats and extracurriculars above, but I am unsure whether you saw it or not. And unfortunately, due to many health and life issues, there is no rising trend per se.
Maybe Drexel, Albany, Netter, GWU, Gtown, SLU, MCW

Finally deciding to chip in and stop being a lurker lol got my first II yesterday from Morehouse and it's on August 24th. GPA: 3.4 and MCAT 512 LizzyM ~66 (65.8)

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all, recently received a II from UChicago. Anyone with prior interview experience here have tips?

Hello fellow applicants! I just submitted my amcas but wanted to add a few more schools. Can anyone suggest any more schools to add. Uchicago and Northwestern are far reaches, but they gave me a secondary fee waiver. Also, just any comments on my chances at these schools on my list as well would be helpful. Thanks!
23 yo AA female, CA resident
UG:Spelman College
cGPA:3.54/sGPA~3.3ish
MCAT:509(127,128,126,128)
EC:
Current NIH post bac(on my second year now)
25 hrs of physician shadowing
Will have 260 hrs volunteering at hospital by next summer
Studied abroad in Scotland for six weeks
Participated in SMDEP UCLA
A couple e- board positions
Current School List:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Creighton University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medic
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Im also at the NIH! haha

First post here but I just need help deciding which schools on AMCAS I have a good shot (hopefully some top schools?). I applied to all Texas schools, I’m Texas Resident so it seemed fitting to do that first. Then I started getting emails and letters from Harvard, Northwestern, Vanderbilt,etc... should I apply to them if so to which schools... here are stats:

URM Hispanic
510 (129/123/130/128) 81 percentile
cGPA 3.90 sGPA 3.95 upward trend every semester since my first semester I got a 4.0
Fluent Spanish/ English
1000+ Research
400+ Clinical Volunteering
150+ Shadowing
2+ Years as a Gen Chem TA
Community service at free clinics

Any school list/ advice is helpful!!!

Last edited:
First post here but I just need help deciding which schools on AMCAS I have a good shot (hopefully some top schools?). I applied to all Texas schools, I’m Texas Resident so it seemed fitting to do that first. Then I started getting emails and letters from Harvard, Northwestern, Vanderbilt,etc... should I apply to them if so to which schools... here are stats:

URM Hispanic
cGPA 3.90 sGPA 3.95 upward trend every semester since my first semester I got a 4.0
Fluent Spanish/ English
1000+ Research
150+ Shadowing

I have similar stats and would recommend applying to any top school you could see yourself at, I would suggest UChicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt. Did any of them offer you a fee waiver? If so, it wouldn't hurt to apply to them if you have time to complete the secondaries

I have similar stats and would recommend applying to any top school you could see yourself at, I would suggest UChicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt. Did any of them offer you a fee waiver? If so, it wouldn't hurt to apply to them if you have time to complete the secondaries
Yeah I got letters from those, including Harvard which is why I’m a little eager to see which I should apply to!

Members don't see this ad :)
First post here but I just
need help deciding which schools on AMCAS I have a good shot (hopefully some top schools?). I applied to all Texas schools, I’m Texas Resident so it seemed fitting to do that first. Then I started getting emails and letters from Harvard, Northwestern, Vanderbilt,etc... should I apply to them if so to which schools... here are stats:

URM Hispanic
Fluent Spanish/ English
1000+ Research
150+ Shadowing

I'd apply to any school that is waving a secondary for you and any school that you might want to attend. You're a very competitive applicant.

I'd apply to any school that is waving a secondary for you and any school that you might want to attend. You're a very competitive applicant.
Heard alot of mixed advice about applying with below 510 mcat so ive been unsure if I should! Any advice? I saw you got in to U of Chi even though it was below 10th, Congrats on that!

Does anybody know if there is a list of schools that consider LGBT+ a URM? I applied to UChicago as I know they do. I believe UCSF, Yale, Penn, JHU so as well. I may add one but not too sure based on my stats (3.6cGPA/3.45sGPA/511 large upward trend in GPA). My overall goal is to provide health equity for LGBT+ groups, especially in rural areas. I have volunteered in a couple LGBT+ groups/centers and also clinical work with HIV testing. Is it worth shooting my shot at those high caliper schools? I can provide more info if needed

Question: I submitted my AMCAS yesterday and today I received a secondary from Yale. Ive only done TMDSAS, for them you have to be verified and transmitted to receive some secondaries. Is the rule for AMCAS schools different, where they receive your info before being verified.

Question: I submitted my AMCAS yesterday and today I received a secondary from Yale. Ive only done TMDSAS, for them you have to be verified and transmitted to receive some secondaries. Is the rule for AMCAS schools different, where they receive your info before being verified.

Yes, the rule is different. It is up to the AMCAS school to send their secondaries either before or after verification. They are able to see the contact info of students who have applied to their schools prior to verification. Once the application is verified, they are then able to access your MCAT score report, LORs, and primary application.

Congrats on submitting!

Also do yall think its worth to pay secondary fees for some top schools, getting some waived but at the end its 22 schools that im applying through amcas + the 9 TMDSAS. Just do not want to waste money on schools that I should not consider. URM, LizzyM 70, WARS 81 says I'm A list but MCAT is 510 cGPA 3.9 sGPA 3.95

Edit: Barely discovered this thread recently, wished I learned about it alot earlier, its extremely helpful!!!

I think definitely pick a few top schools that you're extremely interested in. Your stats are very good, so I do not think it will be a shot in the dark at all. You never know what specific quality a school is looking for and it seems like you have a ton of volunteering and the Spanish fluency will stand out too. Don't underestimate !

Is there any way for FAP recipients to get any financial assistance concerning traveling for interviews? Just got #4 today and I’m wondering how I’m gonna foot that bill if they keep coming.

Is there any way for FAP recipients to get any financial assistance concerning traveling for interviews? Just got #4 today and I’m wondering how I’m gonna foot that bill if they keep coming.
I don't think so but if you find out let me know lol

URM Hispanic
Fluent Spanish/ English
1000+ Research
150+ Shadowing

Apply to any school you want. I would say your application is better than mine because you have a higher GPA and higher service hours than me. I am currently holding two interviews at Top 20 schools. If you're interested in going to schools of that caliber, do it! Just get ready to turn down some interviews lol

I feel you bruh, the struggle is real. You don't want to give up a potential acceptance because you don't have any yet...but you also don't want to go through you ENTIRE SAVINGS :dead:

There isn’t any help for interviews, but I got a lot of offers for assistance for second looks. You’ll just have to take out some credit cards or something to pay for interviews.

Also in the same boat :/

Got my third II yesterday! Have faith everybody. The hard work is finally paying off.

Well today has been interesting...

The good: woke up with 2 IIs
The bad: can’t use my travel card to buy plane tickets because someone made $2000+ in fraudulent charges today

Can’t win them all I guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Keck is in September. I only have 1 II though. What about you?

Also does anyone know a timeline of II if you were complete and submitted everywhere by early August?
Mine is October 12, and I’m at 4 right now. Feeling very fortunate of course, but also slightly stressed about funds.

Mine is October 12, and I’m at 4 right now. Feeling very fortunate of course, but also slightly stressed about funds.

Make sure you're checking multiple airports for flights. There was sometimes a $100-200 difference for using an airport that was a 2 hour drive from the one I was gonna use. That and staying with student hosts, and driving to interview if it isn't too far (renting a car might be cheaper than a flight if you don't have a var, which is what I did for a 4 hour drive even with the under 25 y/o tax) are the only cost saving tips I have.

Make sure you're checking multiple airports for flights. There was sometimes a $100-200 difference for using an airport that was a 2 hour drive from the one I was gonna use. That and staying with student hosts, and driving to interview if it isn't too far (renting a car might be cheaper than a flight if you don't have a var, which is what I did for a 4 hour drive even with the under 25 y/o tax) are the only cost saving tips I have.

google flights is the best for this. They will even give you a table showing different departure/arrival dates and sometimes the price difference can be big.

Holy crap y’all...woke up to 2 IIs, and one of those is at a top 20! To the veterans in this thread, how many interviews did you get before you started turning some of them down?

Reactions: 6 users
Holy crap y’all...woke up to 2 IIs, and one of those is at a top 20! To the veterans in this thread, how many interviews did you get before you started turning some of them down?

I interviewed at 7 places. Didn’t turn any down. I wouldn’t turn down an interview until you have an acceptance to a school you’d rather go to. Also acceptances can help with getting more financial aid down the road. I’ve asked around my school, since we’ve started interviews, how many places people interviewed at and multiple people said 10+ places.

Edit: to clarify, I asked my classmates about last year not the interviewees.

Last edited:
I interviewed at 7 places. Didn’t turn any down. I wouldn’t turn down an interview until you have an acceptance to a school you’d rather go to. Also acceptances can help with getting more financial aid down the road. I’ve asked around my school, since we’ve started interviews, how many places people interviewed at and multiple people said 10+ places.
Thanks! Also, do you know if it’s customary to ask the school to hold your luggage for you? Since Check out is usually around noon.

Thanks! Also, do you know if it’s customary to ask the school to hold your luggage for you? Since Check out is usually around noon.
Most schools have said they have rooms to store luggage on interview day

This is good to know!

You all give me so much hope for next cycle, currently studying to retake the MCAT.Wishing nothing but the best for each and every one of you.

Reactions: 8 users
You all give me so much hope for next cycle, currently studying to retake the MCAT.Wishing nothing but the best for each and every one of you.
Good luck with the MCAT! I took the MCAT twice too

Every place I interviewed at offered to hold luggage and you just pick it up whenever you’re leaving.

Hey everyone!

Currently applying this cycle and wanted some advice regarding my low volunteering hours.
Stats for context: AA male, cGPA and sGPA: 3.7X, MCAT:52X, research: >2500, 4 posters, no pubs, current clinical/non-clinical volunteering: 60/60

I am just finishing an international fellowship and thus could only put the volunteering hours that I've accrued until October when I finish. However, I definitely plan on volunteering when I'm back in the States up until matriculation. I've already arranged the positions and will have over 100 hours of both categories upon completion. I was wondering what the best way to update schools about this is. Should I send an update through the portal? Wait to bring it up at interviews? I'm a little worried that adcoms may nix my application because of my initially low volunteering hours. Any help on this would be appreciated!
Paging @Goro and @LizzyM for any wisdom as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Currently applying this cycle and wanted some advice regarding my low volunteering hours.
Stats for context: AA male, cGPA and sGPA: 3.7X, MCAT:52X, research: >2500, 4 posters, no pubs, current clinical/non-clinical volunteering: 60/60

I am just finishing an international fellowship and thus could only put the volunteering hours that I've accrued until October when I finish. However, I definitely plan on volunteering when I'm back in the States up until matriculation. I've already arranged the positions and will have over 100 hours of both categories upon completion. I was wondering what the best way to update schools about this is. Should I send an update through the portal? Wait to bring it up at interviews? I'm a little worried that adcoms may nix my application because of my initially low volunteering hours. Any help on this would be appreciated!
Paging @Goro and @LizzyM for any wisdom as well.

Thanks!
A lot of schools have parts in their secondaries to elaborate on what your plans are for the coming year or do you have anything to add/update on your application that was originally not on your primary. So I'm guessing you can talk about your updated volunteering hours there. Not the expert though, just my two cents.

Last edited:
A lot of schools have parts in their secondaries to elaborate on what your plans are for the coming year or do you have anything to add/update on your application that was originally on your primary. So I'm guessing you can talk about your updated volunteering hours there. Not the expert though, just my two cents.
Unfortunately, I already submitted my secondaries before I was able to secure the positions. Thanks for the advice though!

Unfortunately, I already submitted my secondaries before I was able to secure the positions. Thanks for the advice though!
Some schools are receptive to updates through the portal or by email (some like Sidney Kimmel encourage updates too)

A lot of schools have parts in their secondaries to elaborate on what your plans are for the coming year or do you have anything to add/update on your application that was originally on your primary. So I'm guessing you can talk about your updated volunteering hours there. Not the expert though, just my two cents.
This.

Great, thank you!
Good luck dude. With the stats you've shown so far don't think you'll be nixed. Just send updates and/or explain in person when you get them invites!

Good luck dude. With the stats you've shown so far don't think you'll be nixed. Just send updates and/or explain in person when you get them invites!
Thank you! I'll definitely be doing that.
Good luck to you too!

Thank you! I'll definitely be doing that.
Good luck to you too!

I agree with above advice as well, and good luck! Please share or PM me your top MCAT tips for scoring in the 520s if you wouldnt mind:whistle: