***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Merit based scholarships are typically awarded by admissions and included when you are first accepted while needed based scholarships are awarded by financial aid office and is given after you submit your fafsa and other financial info

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! I was wondering your take on my school list. I'm not sure what reaches are considered too far considering my stats, and if my list is too long; I don't want to get overwhelmed with secondaries as I am working a full-time job.

Native American Male (tribe registered), first-generation college student, California
cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.47
MCAT 516 (130/126/130/130)
Research: 4000 paid clinical research hours (>2000 complete, another 2000 projected - Critical Care research), 100 wet lab hours, 300 volunteer clinical research (ED). No pub, poster, etc.
Volunteering (clinical): 150 hours hospital volunteer (OR/ED), 150 Native American health center (FQHC designated)
Physician shadowing: 20 FM (Native American clinic), 28 Psychiatry
Teaching: Taught interactive lesson plan to grade school students on field trip (50 hr total), Biology lab teaching assistant (50 hours),
Community Experience: 2 years (1000 hours) chairman of Native American event committee, Student representative for AI/AN recruitment/retention on campus (~100 hr), 300 hours in Native American community on campus

School list
UCD, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UCI
Cincinnati
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Hofstra
Iowa
Loyola
Miami
Minnesota
Mt. Sinai
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Stanford
Tufts
USC
Wisconsin
How did your cycle go? I'm also a NA applicant (registered)

How did your cycle go? I'm also a NA applicant (registered)
As good as I could have hoped:
24 interview invites, 14 attended, 6 acceptances.

It’s kinda funny looking back on my post from a year ago. I ended up applying to 30 schools, which was honestly a bit too many, but it was nice to have that sense of security. In terms of reaches, I actually had the most success at T20 schools, especially T5.

Shoot for the stars as long as you have the experiences to back it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As good as I could have hoped:
24 interview invites, 14 attended, 6 acceptances.

It’s kinda funny looking back on my post from a year ago. I ended up applying to 30 schools, which was honestly a bit too many, but it was nice to have that sense of security. In terms of reaches, I actually had the most success at T20 schools, especially T5.

Shoot for the stars as long as you have the experiences to back it up.

did you put NA only or white / NA on app?

Any low gpa <3.4 URMs with acceptances. I want to give some hope for URM students applying for 2020?

Question for those who applied this cycle. I am applying next cycle but wondering if it is worth applying to schools where you are in the 10th percentile on MSAR? Does MSAR take data from all applicants? Does that include URM? Any recommendations for the next cycle as URM?

Reactions: 1 user
Question for those who applied this cycle. I am applying next cycle but wondering if it is worth applying to schools where you are in the 10th percentile on MSAR? Does MSAR take data from all applicants? Does that include URM? Any recommendations for the next cycle as URM?

I was admitted to a school where I don’t even come close to their stats. I’m nowhere in the percentile.

Reactions: 3 users
I am currently attending a school where if I had applied this year would not even be in there 10% anymore so it's possible.

I am currently attending a school where if I had applied this year would not even be in there 10% anymore so it's possible.

I was admitted to a school where I don’t even come close to their stats. I’m nowhere in the percentile.

Do you have any recommendations when applying to schools where you are not in the range? What did the admissions committee feel helped when you interviewed?

Reactions: 1 user
When I applied, I took out a no interest credit card for 15 months and applied to schools I could see my self being at, community service focused, and my state schools. I bought msar and went from low to high MCAT/GPA until I started to get scared when my bank account got to 7k and then I was like ok I’ll stop. So can’t give much advice but I was offered an interview at Geisinger, carver, uic, Rush, Albany, Wisconsin, EVMS, Seton Hall, Colorado, indiana

Last edited by a moderator:
When I applied, I took out a no interest credit card for 15 months and applied to schools I could see my self being at, community service focused, and my state schools. I bought msar and went from low to high MCAT/GPA until I started to get scared when my bank account got to 7k and then I was like ok I’ll stop. So can’t give much advice but I was offered an interview at Geisinger, carver, uic, Rush, Albany.
How many schools total did you apply to?

Do you have any recommendations when applying to schools where you are not in the range? What did the admissions committee feel helped when you interviewed?
I guess they saw something in my app. I was determined to get in my first cycle so I took time to make sure my app showed cohesiveness, compelling story, and reflected certain themes that were important to me. Feel free to PM if you want specifics about my app; don't want to bog down the thread.

I'm currently attending a school where I DEFINITELY fell into the bottom 10% in terms of GPA and CARS section MCAT. I got accepted with a scholarship offer. Got interviews and acceptances to other schools with that same scenario. Don't get me wrong, I did a post-bacc and got a 4.0 to prove my capabilities. I also tried to have a compelling narrative in my application. But yes, it's definitely possible!