2018-2019 University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

TMDSAS submitted: 5/13
TMDSAS transmitted: 5/15
Secondary submitted: 5/14
All materials in: 6/14
Hoping for that sweet, sweet II

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
AACOMAS submitted: 5/22
AACOMAS verified: 5/23

TCOM is not a part of AACOMAS, rather you apply via TMDSAS - just wanted to share in case you were wondering why you didn't hear back .

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM is not a part of AACOMAS, rather you apply via TMDSAS - just wanted to share in case you were wondering why you didn't hear back .
Whoops my bad, I meant TMDSAS. -facepalm- This is what waking up super early for my shift in ER does to me.

TMDSAS submitted: 5/13
TMDSAS transmitted: 5/15
good stuff! I submitted my TMDSAS app last week and I'm almost complete with my secondary to TCOM. Still waiting on my app to get verified! Best of luck to you!!

Can anyone offer advice on how to approach their optional secondary response? I'm having trouble thinking of something to talk about.

TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following:

1. Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization

2. Developed a plan to work through a specific situation where your ethics or moral code was challenged

3. Ability to improve by developing and executing a plan to succeed in an endeavor after previously being unsuccessful

Can anyone offer advice on how to approach their optional secondary response? I'm having trouble thinking of something to talk about.

TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following:

1. Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization

2. Developed a plan to work through a specific situation where your ethics or moral code was challenged

3. Ability to improve by developing and executing a plan to succeed in an endeavor after previously being unsuccessful

I decided to run with #3 and talk about overcoming the steep learning curve and learning from my mistakes as I was training to be an ER scribe. Transferring to another hospital and city added another layer to the challenge. I tried to emphasize my resilience and ability to adapt, despite some setbacks. Whatever option you choose to do, try elaborating on your non-academic experience that you might not have covered in great detail in your PS or activities section, and reflect on what qualities you exercised/gained and what you learned from that.

I view optional things as not really optional, and as more opportunities to show a side of yourself beyond the stats. :)

Hi friends! I’ll be an incoming M1 in about three weeks.

I personally answered #2 and talked about a time I encountered obvious cheating during my time as a TA and how I dealt with it among my co-TA and professor. I also think that #3 is a good option with a wide variety of potential topics, like talking about, let’s say, a D+ or a C- in an otherwise 3.9/4.0 GPA and how you took the fall and got back to excellence (or a bad semester).

When do II's usually go out?

Last year, the first ones went out in mid-June. I received my interview July 31st for an interview on September 8th. It was the second TMDSAS interview I received.

It’s also worth noting that this school will not send interview invitations until your letters have been received (as opposed to some schools interviewing BEFORE letters are received).

Last edited:
I decided to run with #3 and talk about overcoming the steep learning curve and learning from my mistakes as I was training to be an ER scribe. Transferring to another hospital and city added another layer to the challenge. I tried to emphasize my resilience and ability to adapt, despite some setbacks. Whatever option you choose to do, try elaborating on your non-academic experience that you might not have covered in great detail in your PS or activities section, and reflect on what qualities you exercised/gained and what you learned from that.

I view optional things as not really optional, and as more opportunities to show a side of yourself beyond the stats. :)

I also chose #3 but I talked about an experience I had in high-school. Basically I mentioned how every year in high-school, our school competed in a food drive competition with the other high-schools in my district to see who can collect the most food items and we never came in first place so in my senior year, I decided to take some leadership and devised a plan to change things up. We discussed the logistics and executed the plan and ended up in first place. I basically elaborated on leadership and teamwork coordination which lead to our success. Is that something appropriate to discuss?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Worth applying here if OOS?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I would say that even if you have average stats (like I did) it is still beneficial to apply to TCOM. That really goes for all Texas schools. The cost of applying in terms of money and time is worth even a chance at getting into a Texas medical school!
Edit: I was OOS

Has anyone received interview invites yet?

Nothing yet! I have been going crazy checking the status everyday ><

Nothing yet! I have been going crazy checking the status everyday ><

Yeah mine still says "Your Application Has Been Received". Looking back on last year's thread, the first SDN reported II came on 6/27, so hopefully there's some news soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah mine still says "Your Application Has Been Received". Looking back on last year's thread, the first SDN reported II came on 6/27, so hopefully there's some news soon!
The previous year it came out even earlier.

Finished my secondary today, though I haven't submitted it yet. I won't be complete until at least the end of next week because of waiting on my MCAT though. I attended a presentation at the school and all of the parts we saw were very nice.

Did anyone apply without sending an additional LoR? My first 3 were from 2 professors (one research, one biochem) and an MD I shadowed (80+ hours w/ him). I'm not really sure of any other LoRs I could get so I was just going to not send one, but I don't know if that will hurt me or not.

Did anyone apply without sending an additional LoR? My first 3 were from 2 professors (one research, one biochem) and an MD I shadowed (80+ hours w/ him). I'm not really sure of any other LoRs I could get so I was just going to not send one, but I don't know if that will hurt me or not.
I think you covered your bases, so an extra LOR wouldn't be necessary. If you're worried about lacking a DO letter, don't be. Your MD letter will do just fine, and people in previous years had applied and been accepted without a physician letter at all.

I think you are good with the letters! I am submitting a premed committee packet that includes a letter from a research, a professor and my boss from the clinic I volunteered at. I was worried about not having a DO letter but from my research and going through past years thread, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

No IIs yet...? Since 2013 they've come around before July. This is driving me bonkers.

No IIs yet...? Since 2013 they've come around before July. This is driving me bonkers.
Got two emails today, only to alert applicants about upcoming open houses. Pulled the car over for nothing.

Reactions: 2 users
Got two emails today, only to alert applicants about upcoming open houses. Pulled the car over for nothing.

the anticipation coupled with the fact that nobody has received an II yet is becoming suspenseful to me :O

+1 for reacting over nothing

the anticipation coupled with the fact that nobody has received an II yet is becoming suspenseful to me :O

Maybe we all stink. *

*kidding! We're all putting our best foot forward and I hope everyone finds success this cycle!

+1 for reacting over nothing

Maybe we all stink. *

*kidding! We're all putting our best foot forward and I hope everyone finds success this cycle!
Now is not the time for your positivity. We all need to band together and sulk. Real talk though, imagine a future where we won’t have to constantly refresh our emails. Sigh.

Now is not the time for your positivity. We all need to band together and sulk. Real talk though, imagine a future where we won’t have to constantly refresh our emails. Sigh.
Big frown face. But for real bro that would be a huge relief for our sanity. I'll leave my portal alone until someone comes in here to announce the 1st II. (easier said than done)

My portal says it still has to do list items, even though they were submitted to TMDSAS over a month ago. They don't show up when I click checklists, just on the front page. A few transcripts. I emailed once and they gave me a weird answer, and I don't want to be neurotic and email again. Any ideas?

Big frown face. But for real bro that would be a huge relief for our sanity. I'll leave my portal alone until someone comes in here to announce the 1st II. (easier said than done)
Lol, I said that last week too. But like clockwork, I click on all my little tabs first thing in the morning, check SDN, watch FIFA, check sdn, click on the tabs again, check sdn, refresh email, check sdn.

My portal says it still has to do list items, even though they were submitted to TMDSAS over a month ago. They don't show up when I click checklists, just on the front page. A few transcripts. I emailed once and they gave me a weird answer, and I don't want to be neurotic and email again. Any ideas?
Did you click on the actual to-do list? Right underneath the “your application is complete” status is a reminder to check the to-do list even though everything has been checked off.

Everything shows completed on that link, but there is no item for transcripts. And if I click "incomplete" there is nothing that shows up on that link.

Everything shows completed on that link, but there is no item for transcripts. And if I click "incomplete" there is nothing that shows up on that link.
Just tried sending you a PM with what my portal looks like. Message me if you’re curious to see it, i cropped all identifying info.

All that I had on my to do list was

Secondary Application
MCAT Score
Letter of Recommendation

Just tried sending you a PM with what my portal looks like. Message me if you’re curious to see it, i cropped all identifying info.

All that I had on my to do list was

Secondary Application
MCAT Score
Letter of Recommendation

that's exactly what mine looks like as well and I just submitted my secondary.

I did not apply with a letter from a physician.

I was accepted.

Has anyone gotten an II yet? Looking at the previous years threads there was a lot more coming out of the school in late June.

FL Res, 3.82 507
I would love to apply here but $150 for TMDSAS plus whatever the secondary costs? Plus sending transcripts to TMDSAS? $$$$ for low yield

FL Res, 3.82 507
I would love to apply here but $150 for TMDSAS plus whatever the secondary costs? Plus sending transcripts to TMDSAS? $$$$ for low yield

For what its worth, there's no secondary fee here. UTSW is also free, Long and UTMB do not have secondaries, but do require CASPer at some point. So 4 schools for $165 isnt too bad right? Your GPA is well above TCOM's average and MCAT is right about average, if not a bit above. As a long time mentor said to me once "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, Wayne Getzky."

Edit: 4 schools for $165 if you decide not to do the secondaries for others.

FL Res, 3.82 507
TCOM secondary has no fee! $150 for up to 10 schools is a pretty sweet deal, actually (way better than what I had to pay for AACOMAS). I'd imagine that the OOS pool is self-selecting, so if you feel your app is strong enough and make it clear in your essays that you want to live and study in Texas, you just might have a shot.

With no secondary fee I think Ill shoot for it. I am low for the other Texas schools though with my 507.

I would like to live in Texas long-term, plus a close friend of mine is doing mechanical engineering at UNT right now.

II through email for a link to signup just today. Showing Fridays and Tuesdays in August. OOS!