2018-2019 University of New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A friend of mine sent me the powerpoint presentation they use for the workshop for those who were rejected and there are some interesting statistics on there that are encouraging for us who are waiting. They accepted 118 students and only 103 enroll. It's to my knowledge that this figure doesn't include the 20+ students (I believe the waitlist last year reached into the 30s, so 30+ students) who ultimately received an acceptance off the waitlist. They reviewed and interviewed 274 applicants, so when including those accepted off the waitlist more than 54% of those who interviewed were accepted. Many students who were accepted must have deferred or chose to attend medical school elsewhere if UNM wasn't there first choice.

Let's hope we have similar luck! February is this week and that's when this will get interesting haha. Good luck!

Thanks for the specific info! That is very encouraging! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Update I received today after I inquired: “The Committee is still working on picking the 2019 class. It does look like decisions will still be out earlier than the March 15th deadline, but I am not sure when exactly. I would expect to hear something before the end of February.”

Nice job doing recon for us :p February is sounding a lot better than March at this point, haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice job doing recon for us :p February is sounding a lot better than March at this point, haha.

Not only that, but at least February only has 28 days! I wonder if there have been any more rolling rejections/acceptances since the last update a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully it’s a shorter month but the wait is still killing me...I will do literally anything to avoid reapplying again....desperation at its finest :xf:

Info which may help (I’m a numbers/stats person and this kind of stuff helps my neuroticism):
Last cycle (2017-2018): 274 applicants. 61 applicants were waitlisted, and 139 were placed on the non-accept list (don’t quote me on this, but based on the above, I’m guessing this means 74 people were directly accepted, not including those later taken from the waitlist). The minimum score to be waitlisted on their scale for last cycle (it varies slightly from year to year), was 84.9, and the minimum score to be directly accepted was 88.8. 34 applicants were taken from the waitlist. A score approx in the 86 something range was required to get in off the waitlist. For anyone who may be interested, the second time I applied, my rank improved by 5 points compared to my first attempt, which is a big jump on their scale, and my application had not really changed (unlike for my current attempt where I really tried to improve my application). There is hope!

Info which may help (I’m a numbers/stats person and this kind of stuff helps my neuroticism):
Last cycle (2017-2018): 274 applicants. 61 applicants were waitlisted, and 139 were placed on the non-accept list (don’t quote me on this, but based on the above, I’m guessing this means 74 people were directly accepted, not including those later taken from the waitlist). The minimum score to be waitlisted on their scale for last cycle (it varies slightly from year to year), was 84.9, and the minimum score to be directly accepted was 88.8. 34 applicants were taken from the waitlist. A score approx in the 86 something range was required to get in off the waitlist. For anyone who may be interested, the second time I applied, my rank improved by 5 points compared to my first attempt, which is a big jump on their scale, and my application had not really changed (unlike for my current attempt where I really tried to improve my application). There is hope!

Are these numbers verifiable? Can I ask how you got these numbers? Just curious since the numbers I posted a week ago are way different than this lol. I was going off the information provided at last year's presentation but they could be wrong?

Reactions: 1 user
last cycle applicant pool.png

From Dr. Sapien during the presentation, "We have 103 spots in the class and we always accept more than the spots knowing we will lose spots (due to deferrals, applicant chooses another school, etc.)."

Like the image shows, they accepted 118 applicants out of 274. To my knowledge, this does not include any waitlist movement. I was also under the impression that the waitlist only goes up to 50, but maybe it varies year by year?

Yes I was a little confused as well. I got it from a friend’s paper provided at the one on one exit interview (I got a similar sheet from my exit interview in 2016 after the first time I applied, but they said I was ineligible for any additional exit interviews other than the first one I had, so I didn’t get another sheet myself since then but my friend let me look at his from last cycle). And yes the waitlist does vary, because I remember in my exit interview back then there were approx 53 people waitlisted at that time. I’m honestly not sure how many were accepted last cycle (74 was only my guess after calculating with the rest of the numbers I got from my friend’s sheet, which I posted above). Thanks for sharing though! I’m curious if the 118 accepted includes the BA/MD students, and maybe that’s why the number is higher too, I’ve heard that in the past but am not 100% positive.

Lmao these numbers are all over the place. @sagators24, how did you come up with the final scoring rank? Are those numbers from your friend's sheet? I am going with the image that @thatdood posted, since it comes from the presentation itself. So I am assuming 118 got accepted with no waitlist movement.

Alright if 274 were interviewed last cycle and 139 were placed on the reject list, that leaves 135 applicants that were either accepted or waitlisted. If the powerpoint presentation is correct, that only leaves 17 applicants on the waitlist...which is not right.

I think UNM has their numbers wrong haha :shrug:

Alright if 274 were interviewed last cycle and 139 were placed on the reject list, that leaves 135 applicants that were either accepted or waitlisted. If the powerpoint presentation is correct, that only leaves 17 applicants on the waitlist...which is not right.

I think UNM has their numbers wrong haha :shrug:

I think the 139 includes those on the waitlist since technically they are not "accepted." Meaning that the first 50 on the waitlist (or however many the list) are among the first on this list. Though I don't think that 139 number is correct. Maybe 156 since 274-118 acceptances = 156.

Think we are all just desperate at this point lol

Hi all,

I've been lurking this thread since the beginning but here's to my first post! I'm a reapplicant this year, and went to both the exit interview and the post application workshop last year. I can confirm @sagators2014 numbers because I have my exit interview sheet that cites the same metrics (ie. 274 interviews, 61 waitlisted, 139 non-accept). If you subtract the non-accepted and waitlisted from the total number of interviews that leaves 74 seats, which I believe is accurate in how many actual open seats there are for applicants, because an additional 28 are reserved for BA/MD and one seat is reserved for the MD/PhD. Therefore 74+28+1=103, which is UNM's average class size based on the notes I took during Dr. Sapien's presentation during the post application workshop.

Just my two cents, because I know all of us who are still waiting on their decision are grasping straws at this point. :shrug: Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I've been lurking this thread since the beginning but here's to my first post! I'm a reapplicant this year, and went to both the exit interview and the post application workshop last year. I can confirm @sagators2014 numbers because I have my exit interview sheet that cites the same metrics (ie. 274 interviews, 61 waitlisted, 139 non-accept). If you subtract the non-accepted and waitlisted from the total number of interviews that leaves 74 seats, which I believe is accurate in how many actual open seats there are for applicants, because an additional 28 are reserved for BA/MD and one seat is reserved for the MD/PhD. Therefore 74+28+1=103, which is UNM's average class size based on the notes I took during Dr. Sapien's presentation during the post application workshop.

Just my two cents, because I know all of us who are still waiting on their decision are grasping straws at this point. :shrug: Good luck everyone!!!

This definitely makes sense, but now I am confused as to why Dr. Sapien (and the powerpoint) state that they accepted 118 students. The exit interview is in late April which is before the majority of waitlist movement occurs.

Not sure if anyone can answer but are the BA/MD applicants exclusively applying to the BA/MD positions or are they thrown in the general MD pool as well if not accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
This definitely makes sense, but now I am confused as to why Dr. Sapien (and the powerpoint) state that they accepted 118 students. The exit interview is in late April which is before the majority of waitlist movement occurs.

Not sure if anyone can answer but are the BA/MD applicants exclusively applying to the BA/MD positions or are they thrown in the general MD pool as well if not accepted?

BA/MD students exclusively apply for their own spots because they already have a conditional acceptance- as long as they meet the minimum requirements of UNM SOM they will matriculate into medical school.

Lmao these numbers are all over the place. @sagators24, how did you come up with the final scoring rank? Are those numbers from your friend's sheet? I am going with the image that @thatdood posted, since it comes from the presentation itself. So I am assuming 118 got accepted with no waitlist movement.
Final scoring rank came from my friend’s sheet (with the exception of me saying around 86 rank score needed to get in off the waitlist, that was my approximation because my friend was also waitlisted and extremely close to getting in, and so I used his as a guide to estimate). I apologize, I feel like I’ve done more harm than good at this point by bringing up these numbers. :smack: It is crazy making for sure when they provide different sets of numbers like this, they should be more clear especially since there are discrepancies. I hope every single one of us is accepted, or accepted off the waitlist at least! :highfive:

Last edited:
BA/MD students exclusively apply for their own spots because they already have a conditional acceptance- as long as they meet the minimum requirements of UNM SOM they will matriculate into medical school.

Figured as much. Thanks for the info though!

I apologize, I feel like I’ve done more harm than good at this point by bringing up these numbers.

Haha don't apologize! The numbers are conflicting and we are all just trying to calculate our chances lol.

February will be halfway over by this Thursday and I find that remarkable lol. It's nervous time! Hoping for good news for everyone on here!

Admissions says: “The SOM class consists of a total number of 103 seats. On any given year reserved seats are as follows: a BAMD cohort can be around 28, MD/PhD is reserved for one applicant and there are reserved seats for those who chose to delay or defer their start date from the previous accepted class. Availably for seats can range from 74-69. Every year the numbers change. If you are wondering why the accepted number is high it is because we have rolling admissions. Applicants can choose to reject our offer throughout the process but the total class number each year is 103.”

Just got an email stating:

The UNM School of Medicine Office of Admissions has completed its review for the 2019 application cycle. Decisions have been made and we are currently working to get the notifications emailed by tomorrow, Friday, February 15th around 5:00 PM.

Good luck to you everyone who applied here! Those of you that get accepted, congratulations you damn well deserved it! Those of you who get rejected, do NOT give up! Continue to work hard and try again and you WILL succeed, if not here, then somewhere else.
<3

Just got an email stating:

The UNM School of Medicine Office of Admissions has completed its review for the 2019 application cycle. Decisions have been made and we are currently working to get the notifications emailed by tomorrow, Friday, February 15th around 5:00 PM.

Good luck to you everyone who applied here! Those of you that get accepted, congratulations you damn well deserved it! Those of you who get rejected, do NOT give up! Continue to work hard and try again and you WILL succeed, if not here, then somewhere else.
<3

My heart stopped for a second when I saw the email. Now I can proceed to feel extremely nervous for the next 24 hours :eek:

Lmao I saw the email sent by "somadmissions" and my heart began racing. Turns out it was just the pre-email. UNM needs to be my Valentine!

Same here! Mini heart attack which I’m surprised wasn’t an actual heart attack!

Good luck to you all! Glad they’re going to let you know early this year

Reactions: 4 users
Just got another email and it wasn't UNM but every email I get today and tomorrow my heart is going to stop lol. Anxiety is real

Is anyone else wondering why it's going to take them a whole day to send out emails?

I wish we would just know today since the decisions are made. Too much anxiety...

I've been nervous since I woke up. This is going to be a long day :(

Has anyone checked the portal to see if there are any changes? So nervous haha

You’ll all probably get an email close to 5 today

As much as I want to know, I don’t think I’m going to check till around 9 pm when I get home. I can’t deal with a rejection while at work :scared:

As much as I want to know, I don’t think I’m going to check till around 9 pm when I get home. I can’t deal with a rejection while at work :scared:

I don't blame you one bit. Let's hope that's not the case though and that we get acceptances :p

Got the email just now. Waitlisted.

Also waitlisted. And now the longer wait starts, haha. Hopefully we'll get waitlist position letters early next week.

You guys who are waitlisted still have a good shot and it is better than a straight rejection! Keep the faith!!

Rejected but referred to PrEP. I didn’t know they were still doing PrEP. It guarantees acceptance into the following class
Congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
waitlisted friends: are you waiting to hear back from other places?

Placed on the alternate list. Is the alternate list the same as the waitlist?

Please open the email already! I'm rooting for you the most lol. I've seen you in like the last 3 years worth of threads and I was looking more forward to your email than my own lmao

Please open the email already! I'm rooting for you the most lol. I've seen you in like the last 3 years worth of threads and I was looking more forward to your email than my own lmao
You’re so nice!!! Thanks so much!! I’ll check it at home so I won’t end up crying at work in front of everyone :p

Rejected but referred to PrEP. I didn’t know they were still doing PrEP. It guarantees acceptance into the following class
Congrats everyone!
I’m being considered for prep as well!!! I’m surprised because I was never considered for it in the past even though I always wanted to be!! Yay!! Also I heard (and read online) that they got rid of the prep program, so I’m so grateful it’s still around, at least for now!!!!!