2019-2020 New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone hear back today? so confused about this date

Members don't see this ad.

4th year at UNM SOM here. Feel free to ask questions.
One last question for you! On the UNM SOM website, it talks about the Biochemistry prerequisite needing to be at the "400 level". But I am not sure if that is only designated to students who go to UNM undergrad?

I ask because at my school the highest undergrad biochem was 390-something. (The 400 level was reserved for the grad students)....I figured it was okay because I have already gone through the interview at UNM SOM already and they have not questioned my biochem credit yet but now I am being paranoid.

One last question for you! On the UNM SOM website, it talks about the Biochemistry prerequisite needing to be at the "400 level". But I am not sure if that is only designated to students who go to UNM undergrad?

I ask because at my school the highest undergrad biochem was 390-something. (The 400 level was reserved for the grad students)....I figured it was okay because I have already gone through the interview at UNM SOM already and they have not questioned my biochem credit yet but now I am being paranoid.

You're fine! that's just UNM

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! I am so ecstatic and in disbelief because I have wanted this for so long!!!

Congrats, future doctor. You’ve worked hard for this. Well done.
I’ll see you there. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
With you being accepted, it got me thinking, does unm do rolling admissions? I have several other II ‘s and I know those schools do rolling, so what happens if I get admitted to one and have to make a pretty prompt decision... like can you message unm to have them speed it up for you?

Sorry I’ve been on interviews. UNM has rolling admissions. Once an applicant interviews and has enough points, they’ll get in right away. On the other hand, they’d get rejected right away if not enough points. The rest will wait until the end. I personally interviewed in December and got an offer to matriculate in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds OK. If you receive an offer to matriculate, make sure the SOM is aware that 390 is the highest Bioc your school had.

Accepted today! I am so ecstatic and in disbelief because I have wanted this for so long!!!

Congrats! The easiest part is done. Go on vacations with your loves ones until you start!

Reactions: 1 users
I read on the 2018-2019 postings that alot of applicants heard back about being waitlisted in Feb. Do they really send your waitlist number in the mail? How high on the waitlist is a good range to be in to possibly be accepted? Do they take a handful who didnt get accepted but were on the waitlist and offer them the Prep program?
Any info would be great thanks.

Most people's final decisions last cycle, including mine, were sent out earlier (mid-Feb) compared to the usual mid-March, at the time they said it was because they were able to finish interviewing earlier than they usually do, so they were able to make their final decisions earlier. They do send regular waitlist numbers (by regular I mean for regular MD admissions, not the PrEP Program) in the mail, approx 1-2 weeks after the initial notification emails are sent. The avg number taken off the waitlist is 24 people (17-18 is on the lower end and mid-30s is on the very high end). Only approx 17 people are considered for the PrEP program each year, out of which approx 6-7 are accepted after the initial 17 people are interviewed (I was on the alternate list #2 last cycle for PrEP but unfortunately there was not enough movement on the list for me to get in). There were 17 of us interviewed, they accepted 7, waitlisted 5, and rejected 5 for PrEP. I was never considered for PrEP on my first two applications, but was considered on my third attempt. For PrEP, I did not receive any notification by regular mail, my waitlist number was sent via email. I interviewed last cycle for regular admissions in December, received original notification in mid-Feb, interviewed separately for PrEP in early March, and found out I was waitlisted for PrEP in early April. I also have not made the regular alternate list, but was close last time, and I do know that some people who are considered for PrEP also make the regular waitlist as well, and admissions made it clear to us that interviewing for PrEP does not negatively affect a position on the regular alternate list (in other words, someone could potentially get into PrEP and also later get accepted off the regular waitlist, and then end up turning PrEP down if they got in off the regular waitlist). I also know that some people who made the PrEP waitlist or who got into PrEP, got into other medical schools and then turned down PrEP, so often times people considered for PrEP are still considered to be competitive applicants to medical school in general. Hope all my rambling made sense. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
Oh no please ramble! Lol the more the better. Thanks for responding and then editing it and adding more. Your response was very informative and i really appreciate it! Just can't wait till the waiting is over! Again thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people's final decisions last cycle, including mine, were sent out earlier (mid-Feb) compared to the usual mid-March, at the time they said it was because they were able to finish interviewing earlier than they usually do, so they were able to make their final decisions earlier. They do send regular waitlist numbers (by regular I mean for regular MD admissions, not the PrEP Program) in the mail, approx 1-2 weeks after the initial notification emails are sent. The avg number taken off the waitlist is 24 people (17-18 is on the lower end and mid-30s is on the very high end). Only approx 17 people are considered for the PrEP program each year, out of which approx 6-7 are accepted after the initial 17 people are interviewed (I was on the alternate list #2 last cycle for PrEP but unfortunately there was not enough movement on the list for me to get in). There were 17 of us interviewed, they accepted 7, waitlisted 5, and rejected 5 for PrEP. I was never considered for PrEP on my first two applications, but was considered on my third attempt. For PrEP, I did not receive any notification by regular mail, my waitlist number was sent via email. I interviewed last cycle for regular admissions in December, received original notification in mid-Feb, interviewed separately for PrEP in early March, and found out I was waitlisted for PrEP in early April. I also have not made the regular alternate list, but was close last time, and I do know that some people who are considered for PrEP also make the regular waitlist as well, and admissions made it clear to us that interviewing for PrEP does not negatively affect a position on the regular alternate list (in other words, someone could potentially get into PrEP and also later get accepted off the regular waitlist, and then end up turning PrEP down if they got in off the regular waitlist). I also know that some people who made the PrEP waitlist or who got into PrEP, got into other medical schools and then turned down PrEP, so often times people considered for PrEP are still considered to be competitive applicants to medical school in general. Hope all my rambling made sense. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
i didnt know they re interviewed for the prep program. I heard this one girl i went to hs was accepted for prep and i just realized i didnt really know how the wait list and prep work so thanks!!!!

No problem!! Yes after I wrote my last post I kept thinking of more things to add and kept editing, haha. After applying so many times and going through it for so long (and from talking to others), I learned a lot about the process that I never knew about originally. I had always wished I knew more earlier on, so am happy to help others however I can now. My hope is we all get in and for anyone who hasn't or may not come Feb/March, please don't give up! UNM is my dream school and I'm hoping after four applications they will see how badly I want this especially after being so close last time. I was devastated to be so close yet not close enough, but also super encouraged. :) I do think anyone who wants this badly enough will eventually get there.
I think anyone who is passionate about being a doctor should have the shot to prove they can do it...... I can t even began to imagine how strong and determined you must be to keep striving for your dream. I havent applied till this year cuz i am terrified of rejection. I kept making excuses not to apply after college and all the way through my masters. Im glad you are so willing to help others. I feel like the whole med school process is so competitive ppl forget why we all want to be doctors in the first place... To help others not tear each other down. I mean its not a single health care professional who makes the difference in a patients life. Its a healthcare team. I really hope you get in! You seem like a wonderful helpful person!! Thanks so much. :) i def wont give up if it dont pan out this year. <3

• Love
Most people's final decisions last cycle, including mine, were sent out earlier (mid-Feb) compared to the usual mid-March, at the time they said it was because they were able to finish interviewing earlier than they usually do, so they were able to make their final decisions earlier.

I submitted my app the day of the Nov 1st deadline and got an interview for Jan 9th, so I think they should finish interviewing pretty early this cycle as well

4th year at UNM SOM here. Feel free to ask questions.
How do you feel the school prepares you for step 1? I know there is a new curriculum, but in your experience (and your friends) what do you think?

How do you feel the school prepares you for step 1? I know there is a new curriculum, but in your experience (and your friends) what do you think?

Really well. Many students get >250s. It’s not so much that the school prepares you - the school will teach YOU to prepare yourself. As you may already know, going to a university program has a lot of benefits. There are so many departments to help students. I cannot even keep track of ALL of my mentors! Since the beginning of classes, you get access to various QBanks (at the time, we got Kaplan for Phase I to practice for Step1; UWorld leading up to Step 1) and a bunch of other resources (Pathoma, unlimited amount of books/articles/research materials, etc.). For each classes, your professors are the experts in their own fields, so you can directly talk to them. Each quizzes/tests are written in board exam styles in limited time, so you get used to testing well. Each block’s finals are actually from NBME, the company that sponsors and gives the USMLE Step exams. Each semester, the school gives practice Step 1 exams to see where you are. If you’re struggling, the school has a department that can work with you (You got a 60% on that last quiz? Expect an email from this department to see how they can help you!). There are also student tutors.

The med school takes feedback seriously. Each year, there is a “new” curriculum. This is NOT bad at all. This is a result of a lot of feedback from upperclassmen to improve the curriculum and the lives of new students. When looking at programs, you want to go somewhere where students are heard and important, where the curriculum is always evolving. Your professors here may have a bunch of letters after their names, but most of them treat you like their own colleagues (they know you’re gon be their colleagues soon). The new curriculum includes more Step prep, which should help students prepare for this exam. We had less of these “Step prep” when we were in Phase I.

Step 1 is just one thing that program directors (PDs) in various residencies look at. Getting a Step 1 >250 is NOT enough for you get interview invites from “top” schools or “top” residencies. PDs look for well-rounded applicants: students that can take standardized exams, work well with teams in hospitals, be involved with their communities and profession, have life outside of medicine. What you should be asking is, “Does UNM have resources for me to be able to go to ‘top’ programs/residencies or be the doctor I want to be?” The answer is yes. Some of us are officers in national student organizations; many of us present our research (bench, population health, clinical, etc.) in regional/national conferences. I’m personally interviewing at 3 of the top 5 programs in my chosen specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Really well. Many students get >250s. It’s not so much that the school prepares you - the school will teach YOU to prepare yourself. As you may already know, going to a university program has a lot of benefits. There are so many departments to help students. I cannot even keep track of ALL of my mentors! Since the beginning of classes, you get access to various QBanks (at the time, we got Kaplan for Phase I to practice for Step1; UWorld leading up to Step 1) and a bunch of other resources (Pathoma, unlimited amount of books/articles/research materials, etc.). For each classes, your professors are the experts in their own fields, so you can directly talk to them. Each quizzes/tests are written in board exam styles in limited time, so you get used to testing well. Each block’s finals are actually from NBME, the company that sponsors and gives the USMLE Step exams. Each semester, the school gives practice Step 1 exams to see where you are. If you’re struggling, the school has a department that can work with you (You got a 60% on that last quiz? Expect an email from this department to see how they can help you!). There are also student tutors.

The med school takes feedback seriously. Each year, there is a “new” curriculum. This is NOT bad at all. This is a result of a lot of feedback from upperclassmen to improve the curriculum and the lives of new students. When looking at programs, you want to go somewhere where students are heard and important, where the curriculum is always evolving. Your professors here may have a bunch of letters after their names, but most of them treat you like their own colleagues (they know you’re gon be their colleagues soon). The new curriculum includes more Step prep, which should help students prepare for this exam. We had less of these “Step prep” when we were in Phase I.

Step 1 is just one thing that program directors (PDs) in various residencies look at. Getting a Step 1 >250 is NOT enough for you get interview invites from “top” schools or “top” residencies. PDs look for well-rounded applicants: students that can take standardized exams, work well with teams in hospitals, be involved with their communities and profession, have life outside of medicine. What you should be asking is, “Does UNM have resources for me to be able to go to ‘top’ programs/residencies or be the doctor I want to be?” The answer is yes. Some of us are officers in national student organizations; many of us present our research (bench, population health, clinical, etc.) in regional/national conferences. I’m personally interviewing at 3 of the top 5 programs in my chosen specialty.
Thank you for the thorough response! Best of luck with your interviews!

From your experience, how have your classmates fared in recent matches? Do people at UNM commonly match outside of New Mexico?

We will be matching in March. We’re still interviewing. In the past, around 30-50% of students stay in NM (UNM and other residencies in Santa Fe and other NM cities). It’s not that these UNM students cannot match somewhere else; they just choose to stay for various reasons (family, geography, weather, loan repayment programs, etc.). (At the end of the day, we’ll all get paid about the same and all programs have to follow ACGME rules/regulations.) The rest are at other institutions, including top programs. Whatever floats your boat, you can pretty much match at a Silver City NM or a Hopkins program coming from UNM.

Reactions: 4 users
No problem!! Yes after I wrote my last post I kept thinking of more things to add and kept editing, haha. After applying so many times and going through it for so long (and from talking to others), I learned a lot about the process that I never knew about originally. I had always wished I knew more earlier on, so am happy to help others however I can now. My hope is we all get in and for anyone who hasn't or may not come Feb/March, please don't give up! UNM is my dream school and I'm hoping after four applications they will see how badly I want this especially after being so close last time. I was devastated to be so close yet not close enough, but also super encouraged. :) I do think anyone who wants this badly enough will eventually get there.

You’ll get in because of your improved application, not because you’ve applied four times. Good luck! Lemme know if you have specific questions. Happy to help.

Accepted today, interviewed on 10/16

Reactions: 4 users
From your experience, how have your classmates fared in recent matches? Do people at UNM commonly match outside of New Mexico?

late to the party but 4th year as well and wanted to offer a +1 on what’s been said by my classmate. Speaking for myself, I‘m applying into one of the most competitive fields and have had interviews at some of the top programs in the country and received enough invites total to be pretty comfortable in my chances of matching. As an institution UNM fosters mentorship extremely well and I believe this makes a big difference when it comes time for letters of rec (which play a big role in the match). As I speak with more Applicants from “top” institutions on the interview trail I’m more and more pleased with the experience at UNM. Would not hesitate to recommend it, particularly if you are a very self motivated individual (as my colleague discussed re: step 1 prep).

Please feel free to message me as well if there’s anything I can answer for anyone.

Congrats to those accepted and best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
I got the email around 4:30 today, made the alternate list and referred to prep.

Last edited:
First time making the alternate list, I really hope my number is good enough to get in!

Accepted! I was 29 on the alternate list last year. Good Luck to you guys, do NOT give up. If anyone wants advice on what to do if rejected/ wait-listed let me know. It's an awful feeling, but it's not the end.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! I was 29 on the alternate list last year. Good Luck to you guys, do NOT give up. If anyone wants advice on what to do if rejected/ wait-listed let me know. It's an awful feeling, but it's not the end.
Congratulations!! And I second that. This was my fourth time applying but only my first time making the alternate list. For anyone who was rejected, just know that there is definitely hope for improvement/progress!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody had any additional information on the PrEP? Such as, what kind of questions they ask in the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hi @Penny23,

I am currently waitlisted at UNM and was wondering if you remember how many people they took off the waitlist last year. Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Ballas

Hi @Penny23,

I am currently waitlisted at UNM and was wondering if you remember how many people they took off the waitlist last year. Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Ballas
Last year I heard they took 20 (average is 24-25)

Hey all, so first time applicant here who was placed on the alternate list. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the "Plan to Enroll" (PTE) and "Commit to Enroll" (CTE) stuff. For example:
1. The alternate page on UNM's website says if you get an alternate accept before 4/15 you have until the 4/30 decision deadline to decide.
2. The MSAR on the other hand says the CTE become available 4/30 but CTE deadline is 6/22

So... I'm confused on what the actual CTE deadlines are. I think if an alternate is accepted they have until 4/30 to CTE not 6/22? Also if you are an alternate and don't CTE by 4/30, are you just like instantly dropped?

Thanks in advance!

Last year I heard they took 20 (average is 24-25)

Last year they went to #20 and the year before was 34. Those seem to be two back to back outliers. 24-28 seems to be the more common range based on the last ten years

For anyone holding a UNM acceptance and debating it against other just wanted to share- my class matched amazingly well today. So blown away with the top notch places people matched and the number of people we had match into very competitive specialties (2 into interventional radiology, for example).

Rest assured, UNM SOM will give you every opportunity to do whatever you could possibly want in life, wherever you could possible want to do It!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! :love: