2018-2019 University of New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called the office of admissions this morning and they said they have not started sending out rolling admissions yet. The only ones who have heard anything are the EDP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Appreciate the update!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate the update!

+1. Let's hope they start sending out rolling acceptances*** soon and that we all receive them. Based on previous threads and statistics I believe only 4-8 people receive admissions through ED, so plenty of spots available!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Called the office of admissions this morning and they said they have not started sending out rolling admissions yet. The only ones who have heard anything are the EDP.

Thanks for calling! That's super helpful info.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything.

Haven’t heard anything yet myself. Trying not to get hopes up that I might hear before March.

Hey y'all, just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything.

Haven’t heard anything yet myself. Trying not to get hopes up that I might hear before March.

Haven't heard anything back either. Figure the earliest anyone will hear back is the first week of December. At least this coming month will go by quickly with the holidays so January will be here before we know it meaning March will be right around the corner (if it comes down to waiting until then).

I think there is a better shot of September and October interviewees hearing back earlier than those from November on, but who knows! At this point I would just recommend focusing on volunteering, school, work, and enjoying the holidays! Hopefully Santa Claus gives us an acceptance letter this Christmas.

If anybody hears anything let us know and good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Finally heard back and accepted! Interviewed mid September! Very VERY excited!

Finally heard back and accepted! Interviewed mid September! Very VERY excited!

Congrats! I wonder if they will be sending out any more acceptances throughout the day/week? Do you mind sharing your stats? Congrats again, great news!

My friend was also accepted today. They interviewed mid October. I’m still waiting lol

Reactions: 3 users
Based on past years threads seems they usually send out rolling every two weeks from when they finally start them. God, I love waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they ever reconsider an earlier candidate for rolling admission later on, or once they pass over your application once you have to wait until March?

Based on past years threads seems they usually send out rolling every two weeks from when they finally start them. God, I love waiting.

Really? I thought UNM didn't send out many rolling acceptances and they only do one every month or so from December on. Would've been great to hear back today although I believe I read that less than half the class is accepted via rolling admissions. I could be wrong though and they could be trending towards accepting more students early (which would be more in line with other med schools). It would be nice to know if there were any rejections sent out as well. Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Hope to hear some good news as well in the not too distant future.

If anyone wants to PM me feel free to do so!

Hello all! I was rejected here today... Born and raised in Las Cruces, NM. Stats were well within their averages, actually a little higher. My interviews were amazing, I got along with both of them very well and even went over the hour talking with them. I am assuming it is because I am considered a Texas resident although I graduated from public NM high school and all of my family still lives in Las Cruces. Idk guys this process is unexpected and disappointing to say the least. Good luck to the rest of you all.

Hello all! I was rejected here today... Born and raised in Las Cruces, NM. Stats were well within their averages, actually a little higher. My interviews were amazing, I got along with both of them very well and even went over the hour talking with them. I am assuming it is because I am considered a Texas resident although I graduated from public NM high school and all of my family still lives in Las Cruces. Idk guys this process is unexpected and disappointing to say the least. Good luck to the rest of you all.

I am sorry to hear that, but thank you for sharing. I am sure you are a qualified applicant, so remain persistent! Plus, you still have all those Texas schools as options, so don't be discouraged!

I am sorry to hear that, but thank you for sharing. I am sure you are a qualified applicant, so remain persistent! Plus, you still have all those Texas schools as options, so don't be discouraged!

I wanted to update you all to say rejections were indeed sent out today! Lol but congrats to those who were accepted!

Thank you notlouis for your encouragement! I have acceptances from a few Texas schools so I am extremely thankful for those. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Really? I thought UNM didn't send out many rolling acceptances and they only do one every month or so from December on. Would've been great to hear back today although I believe I read that less than half the class is accepted via rolling admissions. I could be wrong though and they could be trending towards accepting more students early (which would be more in line with other med schools). It would be nice to know if there were any rejections sent out as well. Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Hope to hear some good news as well in the not too distant future.

If anyone wants to PM me feel free to do so!
I honestly have no clue. Just based on the last two years pages they’re have been about 2 days a month where people were notified. I’d also like to think I might still here back before March. This whole process is just very frustrating/ unpredictable.

Does anyone know if they ever reconsider an earlier candidate for rolling admission later on, or once they pass over your application once you have to wait until March?
From the last couple years threads it seems like they review all candidates each time they send out rolling.

I'm so sorry to hear about the R... :( Ugh, this process is so sporadic. I think you're totally right about it being because you're OOS. I think UNM is pretty strict on having almost exclusively in-state students, so it's really not a reflection on you as a person or applicant. It doesn't make it any easier, but rest assured that you're still as awesome of a person as you were before you got the email :)

Were people notified via email or mail? If by mail, were acceptances large or small envelopes? Also, anyone know if notices might go out over the next couple of days or was today the day?

Were people notified via email or mail? If by mail, were acceptances large or small envelopes? Also, anyone know if notices might go out over the next couple of days or was today the day?

It was a very short email that said congratulations and such. It said that an official letter is coming in the mail.

As far as if they’ll send any more out in the next couple days, I kinda doubt it. I think they only do rolling admissions a few times before the final March decision deadline. Because the committee only has their meeting after a fairly large number of interviews have been conducted.

I don’t know this for sure; it’s just speculation. Either way, best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Lurking previous threads the rolling admissions are sporadic.

Just looking at the calendar I *doubt* that they'll send more notices before the new year and that the next possible date of notice would be the week of January 7th. Of course this is all speculation and I could (and probably am) wrong lol. Getting that notice yesterday would have been a nice way to end the year!

Would you mind sharing why you were rejected if you were told why?

Third time applicant here (but feels like fourth because I took last cycle off from applying, as recommended as general advice, at the group post application meetings I went to in 2016 and 2017). Really hoping for some good news in Feb or March...can't stop thinking about it...am happy to answer any questions about the process if anyone wants to PM me. I've had lots of help and advice along the way and am happy to pay it forward.

Third time applicant here (but feels like fourth because I took last cycle off from applying, as recommended as general advice, at the group post application meetings I went to in 2016 and 2017). Really hoping for some good news in Feb or March...can't stop thinking about it...am happy to answer any questions about the process if anyone wants to PM me. I've had lots of help and advice along the way and am happy to pay it forward.
I heard that people are most likely not getting accepted the first time they apply to this school. I also met some medical school students that said they were told why they were rejected the first time. Would you mind sharing why you weren't accepted?

Would you mind sharing why you were rejected if you were told why?

I wasn't explicitly told why. Going from other students information that i've gathered and knowing that they accept 97% in state students i am just assuming 1. I am out of state and 2. this was my first time applying to this school.

I heard that people are most likely not getting accepted the first time they apply to this school. I also met some medical school students that said they were told why they were rejected the first time. Would you mind sharing why you weren't accepted?
They told me to get more clinical experience and to raise my mcat score, which I tried to do both of this time around. I had a 3.9 gpa since my first application cycle but my mcat was not stellar. The second time I applied my rank improved a lot even though my mcat hadn't yet, so I do think they also take persistence into consideration as well. I had friends with amazing stats, including high mcat scores, who were rejected their first time as well but eventually were accepted. The average number of attempts to get in (at least for UNM), is around 3. Most people I know eventually got in after reapplying. That being said, I do know of some people who did not get in even after 4-5 times. Makes me really sad to hear, but I do think there is still hope after hearing of majority success stories. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

My post a month ago ended up being correct...still waiting though. Wouldn't be surprised if they send out acceptances every two weeks or so on Tuesday's...seems to be the trend.

To those that have been accepted, has a FB group been made yet? If so, would you mind letting us know how many members there are? Assuming more rejections were sent out today as well. Can only hope for the best at this point!

My post a month ago ended up being correct...still waiting though. Wouldn't be surprised if they send out acceptances every two weeks or so on Tuesday's...seems to be the trend.

To those that have been accepted, has a FB group been made yet? If so, would you mind letting us know how many members there are? Assuming more rejections were sent out today as well. Can only hope for the best at this point!

Yeahs it been made since the first acceptances were sent lit in December. 25 members right now.

Sorry for taking awhile to respond, but thank you for that information. That's good to hear for those of us who haven't heard back. Still a lot of spots available so that's calming my nerves down a bit lol

I work with ScribeAmerica and have a great job opportunity open for working in the new Santa Fe ED, especially on weekdays. Full or part time. Please message me ASAP if you (or anyone else you know!) may be interested!!

I work with ScribeAmerica and have a great job opportunity open for working in the new Santa Fe ED, especially on weekdays. Full or part time. Please message me ASAP if you (or anyone else you know!) may be interested!!

I just quit my job at Scribeamerica

Wonder if any notices will go out today. Good luck to everyone that is still in the hunt!

Did anyone else interview early this cycle (September, October) and haven't heard back yet/think it would be weird for them to be holding a rejection for over 5 months?

Did anyone else interview early this cycle (September, October) and haven't heard back yet/think it would be weird for them to be holding a rejection for over 5 months?

It’s all based on the score the committee assigns you. Only those with scores In the top 5% will get rolling admissions, though I don’t know what percent get rolling rejections. I think you’d have to have a very low score or something that would stop you from being admitted to get a rolling rejection. It’s not like they’re “holing rejections.” They just actually don’t know until the end of interviews for most people. Plus they have to wait and see as people either accept or withdraw their applications after being accepted. And there is also the alternate list.

Yeah, I interviewed in September and haven't heard back, and I assume that's just because they're waiting to make a final ranked list of all non-rolling admission interviewees. We're almost there! What's one more month of waiting when you've been waiting for 5 already? :p

Yeah, I interviewed in September and haven't heard back, and I assume that's just because they're waiting to make a final ranked list of all non-rolling admission interviewees. We're almost there! What's one more month of waiting when you've been waiting for 5 already? :p

You're probably right. I just don't think that the final scores of those who earlier interviewed would change drastically since UNM doesn't allow an applicant to update them with grades, volunteering, etc. but like this thread has mentioned: UNM's process is mysterious to say the least haha.

As of now I believe there have been 3 rolling admissions notices (excluding those who applied ED). Would assume that there would be a similar number (maybe greater) of applicant rejected post-interview then accepted as of now. This last month is going to feel so long though haha. Good luck to everyone!

You're probably right. I just don't think that the final scores of those who earlier interviewed would change drastically since UNM doesn't allow an applicant to update them with grades, volunteering, etc. but like this thread has mentioned: UNM's process is mysterious to say the least haha.

As of now I believe there have been 3 rolling admissions notices (excluding those who applied ED). Would assume that there would be a similar number (maybe greater) of applicant rejected post-interview then accepted as of now. This last month is going to feel so long though haha. Good luck to everyone!

It’s not that an Individual’s score changes. Once the committee discusses your case and assigns you a score that’s final. It’s about comparing it to the other newer interviewees that they discuss.

@bldrr2014 The post below was really helpful to me from the 2012-2013 UNM thread. I don't know why SDN wouldn't let me 'quote' it so I just copy pasted below. First time around I was ~LizzyM 63 and this time I was ~LizzyM 70.

Yeah they told me I didn't have to retake the MCAT but I did anyways, it's a numbers game in some ways even though they say it's not. They told us that the minimum score to be accepted last year was an 86, so on their 2-4 point scale that's a 3.44 average. The Cog is 50% and Non-Cog 50%, so say you get a 26 on the MCAT and have a 3.5GPA, your cog score would be 3.0, that means you would need a 3.88/4.0 on Non-cog to get the 3.44 overall average (see table below). Nobody quote me on this but this is the info I came up with after my exit interview. But they also said there is subjective scoring, so for example if they feel you're a strong student although you have a marginal GPA your score could be higher.

GPA SCORE
3.0 2.0
3.1 2.2
3.2 2.4
3.3 2.6
3.4 2.8
3.5 3.0
3.6 3.2
3.7 3.4
3.8 3.6
3.9 3.8
4.0 4.0

MCAT SCORE
22 2.0
23 2.25
24 2.5
25 2.75
26 3.0
27 3.25
28 3.5
29 3.75
30 4.0
Medico1, Mar 13, 2013

Found this on a previous thread. I know UNM does this for GPA, but not sure if the MCAT ranges still apply.

Found this on a previous thread. I know UNM does this for GPA, but not sure if the MCAT ranges still apply.

Actually it’s more complicated even for Gpa because they weight differently for each year of undergrad. Freshman is weighted the least and junior/senior/grad school the most.

Actually it’s more complicated even for Gpa because they weight differently for each year of undergrad. Freshman is weighted the least and junior/senior/grad school the most.

The scale still applies, but you're right dirtrider22...it is still complicated haha. Like you said: freshman year is weighted once, sophomore year twice, and junior/senior/any post-bacc is weighted three times. I'm not sure how you would be able to extrapolate a final average with that information lol :shrug:

Plus, I remember Dr. Sapien saying that each applicant has several hundred different scores/categories in which they are scored in. I have no idea what all those categories are. Needless to say, the wait is killing me, and if I'm not going to get in, I would rather just know now to get the sting over with. Good luck everyone!!

A friend of mine sent me the powerpoint presentation they use for the workshop for those who were rejected and there are some interesting statistics on there that are encouraging for us who are waiting. They accepted 118 students and only 103 enroll. It's to my knowledge that this figure doesn't include the 20+ students (I believe the waitlist last year reached into the 30s, so 30+ students) who ultimately received an acceptance off the waitlist. They reviewed and interviewed 274 applicants, so when including those accepted off the waitlist more than 54% of those who interviewed were accepted. Many students who were accepted must have deferred or chose to attend medical school elsewhere if UNM wasn't there first choice.

Let's hope we have similar luck! February is this week and that's when this will get interesting haha. Good luck!

Update I received today after I inquired: “The Committee is still working on picking the 2019 class. It does look like decisions will still be out earlier than the March 15th deadline, but I am not sure when exactly. I would expect to hear something before the end of February.”