2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does MUCOM have in-state preference and accept a limited OOS students? As an OOS student I'm just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using SDN mobile
I think during the interview they mentioned they take about 55% in-state each year.

Members don't see this ad.

After interviews, do people either get put on the alternate list or accepted? Like does anyone get rejected post-interview?

After interviews, do people either get put on the alternate list or accepted? Like does anyone get rejected post-interview?

They said on interview day that you are basically interviewing for acceptance or alternate. They said they have only rejected 2 people post interview due to fit

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary last month. Still haven't hear back from II or rejection. Hopefully, I can hear back in January.
Just out of curiosity, does MUCOM accept quite a few people in the spring?
Lizzy M 66.3

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Will be withdrawing my app post interview waitlist here at MUCOM given my acceptance to KCU, good luck all!

Reactions: 1 users
I had a question about the MMI's for those who have already gone through the interview process. It says we have about 10 minutes in the room for the MMI but a lot of scenarios I feel like I can only talk about 3-4 minutes. Should I try to talk more? Or will the interviewer ask follow up questions?

Thanks

I had a question about the MMI's for those who have already gone through the interview process. It says we have about 10 minutes in the room for the MMI but a lot of scenarios I feel like I can only talk about 3-4 minutes. Should I try to talk more? Or will the interviewer ask follow up questions?

Thanks

They'll ask follow up questions and dig a little deeper, but I never felt challenged or uncomfortable. One of my MMIs was super low-ball and we finished discussing everything in about 5-7 minutes, leaving a few minutes for me to ask her some questions about Marian. I wouldn't worry so much about the time

Good day! I am an international student and I have a cumulative gpa of 3.55 and science gpa of 3.33. My mcat score is 502. I want to know if I am an eligible international student and candidate based on my stats? I also have a letter from shadowing a DO physician and an and physician(I was his medical assistant/tech for procedures-he’s a pain management physician). I have hundreds of hours of shadowing and actual medical hours. I’ve been in multiple honor societies at a national level. Can any other student or international student let me know if I’m atelast competitors and should apply or no? If not what schools would accept me because I just want to be a doctor

This question may have already been asked, but do a lot of people get off the wait-list in January-Febuary due to the first admission deposit, or do most people come off in May.

Submitted my secondary last month. Still haven't hear back from II or rejection. Hopefully, I can hear back in January.
Just out of curiosity, does MUCOM accept quite a few people in the spring?
Lizzy M 66.3

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Still haven't hear back. Anybody on the same boat?

I want to call the school with a track phone, so they won't know that it's me who keep bothering them. lol
The waiting is killing me.
I called for an update yesterday and left a message.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are reviewing the waitlist on 1/17/18 so I would assume that those earlier in the application process will hear sometime after that.

They are reviewing the waitlist on 1/17/18 so I would assume that those earlier in the application process will hear sometime after that.
How do you know that they are reviewing 1/17/18 for certain?

How do you know that they are reviewing 1/17/18 for certain?
Here's The e-mail they sent me:

"Greetings from MU-COM,

I hope this email finds you well as we approach the holiday season. We wanted to reach out to let you know the admission committee will review and accept from the alternate list for the first time either January 3 or January 17. We appreciate you accepting the invitation to remain on our alternate list as well as your patience during this process. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out!

MU-COM's Admissions Team"

Good luck y'all!

Reactions: 1 user
Here's The e-mail they sent me:

"Greetings from MU-COM,

I hope this email finds you well as we approach the holiday season. We wanted to reach out to let you know the admission committee will review and accept from the alternate list for the first time either January 3 or January 17. We appreciate you accepting the invitation to remain on our alternate list as well as your patience during this process. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out!

MU-COM's Admissions Team"

Good luck y'all!
I received the same, I just didn't know if kn94 heard something more specific, as Jan 3 came and went with my nerves high that day. I just want to know if I should anticipate possible noise on Jan 17 instead, haha.

Withdrawing my acceptance. It was an honor to have been accepted to this amazing school but BCOM is calling my name!! I hope those on the waitlist hear back soon!

I was accepted to this school and another one closer to home. I’m gearing more towards school #2 ... I feel more comfortable with the vibes and culture. BUT... MU-COM has a better rep and higher COMLEX scores.. should I go with my gut? Why did you choose MU-COM over other osteopathic med schools?
Let me know how you end up deciding. I also got accepted to BCOM and have multiple interviews at other places as well (including here). So let me know how you decide because I am also interested in how you decide. Thank you

I got a pre-II rejection. But that's ok, ur not gonna have an II at every single school you apply to

Any current students have any recommendations on laptops? I've always been partial to hand writing notes, but I'm not sure if I could keep up doing that.

I got a pre-II rejection. But that's ok, ur not gonna have an II at every single school you apply to
when were you completed and how long after completion did it take for them to get back to you
(secondary and references and transcripts)?

Any recommendations where to stay? Any airbnb places?

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using SDN mobile

there's a couple of airbnb place near campus/downtown i believe. or just stay downtown and uber 10 mins in

Is the traditional interview closed or open file? Thanks!

If anyone gets accepted off of the waitlist today, congratulations!! Post on here though because I don’t want to wait in suspense all day ;)

congrats to all being accepted. I put down my deposits here but I'm really consider this vs NSU vs KCU :(.

Thank you!
496 MCAT
3.7 cgpa
and some quality EC with LOTS of patient care hours :)
Congrats on the acceptance. Do you mind sharing your MCAT section breakdown either on here or by messaging me? I have a similar profile. Thanks

I got in at 7:50 this morning! Best wake up call ever!! I’ve deposited at KCU but plan to withdraw and go to MUCOM!!

I called earlier today, and I was told that we on the waitlist would hear one way or another today and that they will send out another message. I am just wondering why we still haven't heard anything if that is true?

What's the reason for shortening the semesters from 19 weeks to 16 weeks? I missed this at my interview. Thanks!

I think they’re trying to give their students more time for boards. This adjustment was based on student feedbacks which is one of the reason I appreciate about MUCOM

What's the reason for shortening the semesters from 19 weeks to 16 weeks? I missed this at my interview. Thanks!
The amount of lecture hours/week were apparently low compared to other schools and the switch would allow more time for research, board prep, and other stuff.

I think they’re trying to give their students more time for boards. This adjustment was based on student feedbacks which is one of the reason I appreciate about MUCOM

Depends how they plan it. The change was to align the our schedules with the undergrads. As of now, 2nd years are done at the end of April, but 1st years end at the end of May. This would move it so first years would end towards the beginning/middle of May. But everyone will start a week later in January than previously, so it really just depends on how they condense all the courses, but I would guess the amount of time for 2nd years dedicated study won’t change.

How is everyone going about finding roommates? Also does anyone know the cost breakdown of the different styles of apartments through the school? I can’t find a cost breakdown just the application from last year.

Hi everyone, I know it's super late in the cycle. I had submitted my primary in December and sent in my secondary at MU-COM at 1/15. Did I wiff my $100 and is it too late to get an interview

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I know it's super late in the cycle. I had submitted my primary in December and sent in my secondary at MU-COM at 1/15. Did I wiff my $100 and is it too late to get an interview
i guess that depends on your stats and how many spots are left in the class. your chances at getting in decrease the later you apply. schools get more picky later in the cycle. so if you've got a 528 and 4.0 with Ivy-league ECs then you're fine. the further away you are from that standard the less likely you are to get in. But at least you've got a chance now that you've applied. Good luck!

I applied early this cycle. submitted my secondary 11/27/2018. Still waiting for rejection or interview invite.
My stats are 508, 3.63, but I’m international student. Might be different standard. I also heard Marian has 50% in-state...so there’s that

I applied early this cycle. submitted my secondary 11/27/2018. Still waiting for rejection or interview invite.
My stats are 508, 3.63, but I’m international student. Might be different standard. I also heard Marian has 50% in-state...so there’s that
I DM'd you