2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

I have just received an email stating that they have received my application and in 1-2 weeks I may receive an invitation to complete a secondary application. This is just a heads up for anyone that applied there to check their email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have just received an email stating that they have received my application and in 1-2 weeks I may receive an invitation to complete a secondary application. This is just a heads up for anyone that applied there to check their email.

Same!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a secondary application via email about 15 minutes ago.

I guess to prevent this thread from getting too long simply like this message instead of “same” or “+1”?

Last edited:
Hi All,
We are excited to begin the 2018-2019 cycle! We periodically will answer questions and bring truth to any rumors that may begin here. If you have a question, just @ us! Attached are our LOR guidelines. Following the LOR guidelines will make sure there is no delay in processing and completing your application for review. Best of luck to you all this cycle!

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2018-2019.docx
    57 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: 4 users
Secondary invite received!

Anyone know what that character limit or suggestion is on these questions?? I pre-wrote my answers with last year's prompts, and when I pasted my 1250 characters I could still type for what seems to be infinite characters..

My secondary says 1250 characters for each question except the last question "Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you." and it is 750 characters.

My secondary doesn't show character limits either...

Is the secondary essays the same from the previous year?

Anyone know what that character limit or suggestion is on these questions?? I pre-wrote my answers with last year's prompts, and when I pasted my 1250 characters I could still type for what seems to be infinite characters..
Hi All,
In regards to seeing the secondary character limit may depend on the web browser you use. For example Internet Explorer = Bad Chrome and FireFox= good (most of the time). We are unfamiliar how the portal acts with other browsers i.e Safari. So, if you are not able to see the character limit in one browser, try another. We hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bummer, got screened. Good luck everyone else!

Hi All,
We are excited to begin the 2018-2019 cycle! We periodically will answer questions and bring truth to any rumors that may begin here. If you have a question, just @ us! Attached are our LOR guidelines. Following the LOR guidelines will make sure there is no delay in processing and completing your application for review. Best of luck to you all this cycle!

Hi there! May I ask what's the pre-secondary screen is? Is it a number screen, or a holistic screen?

Hi there! May I ask what's the pre-secondary screen is? Is it a number screen, or a holistic screen?
Hi DameJulie,
The pre-secondary screen is strictly a statistical minimum requirement screening.

Reactions: 1 user
I have submitted both my supplemental and application fee but letters have not been “completed” yet. I submitted secondary on 6/28. Anyone else or just me? I submitted letters via aacomas.

I have submitted both my supplemental and application fee but letters have not been “completed” yet. I submitted secondary on 6/28. Anyone else or just me? I submitted letters via aacomas.
+1

I'm in the same boat (submitted my secondary 6/26), and I believe its just because they haven't begun that process yet, plus it said 2-4 weeks.

Last edited:
I'm still not complete either. My letters were submitted with aacomas in June and I completed the secondary 7/2.

How quickly after the AACOMAS verification are applications screened and secondaries sent out? Are applicants notified if their app does not pass the screening?

How quickly after the AACOMAS verification are applications screened and secondaries sent out? Are applicants notified if their app does not pass the screening?
What are your stats? I think MUCOM has their minimum stats posted on their website. I can't post links yet but It says 3.1 GPA and 491 MCAT. n = 1 but I got the secondary the day after I was verified.

@MU COM , do anthropology (i.e. World cultures, cultural anthropology etc) classes also cover the sociology requirement?

Secondary submitted today! Does anyone know if this school is relatively OOS friendly or is it a heavy in state preference?

@MU COM

I received the confirmation email on June 29th regarding my supplemental application and fee submissions, and in said email it states it can take 2-3 weeks for an email regarding the receiving of recommendation letters and all that jazz. So I just checked the portal, and everything has been received. Should I contact admissions via email to confirm that I am marked complete and awaiting review by the admissions committee?

Thanks in advance :)

Note: Just realized this on the portal
"September 7- 8, 2018
First Interview Weekend"

and

"July 11, 2018
Letters of recommendation will start to be reviewed."

So hopefully in the coming weeks we start seeing some interview invitations for that first interview weekend

Last edited:
@MU COM

I received the confirmation email on June 29th regarding my supplemental application and fee submissions, and in said email it states it can take 2-3 weeks for an email regarding the receiving of recommendation letters and all that jazz. So I just checked the portal, and everything has been received. Should I contact admissions via email to confirm that I am marked complete and awaiting review by the admissions committee?

Thanks in advance :)

Note: Just realized this on the portal
"September 7- 8, 2018
First Interview Weekend"

and

"July 11, 2018
Letters of recommendation will start to be reviewed."

So hopefully in the coming weeks we start seeing some interview invitations for that first interview weekend

Received the application complete email just a couple hours ago, so if I only waited 12 more hours I wouldn't have needed to post this lol. The email stated it could take up to 4 weeks for the admissions committee to review the completed application and extend an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Received the application complete email just a couple hours ago, so if I only waited 12 more hours I wouldn't have needed to post this lol. The email stated it could take up to 4 weeks for the admissions committee to review the completed application and extend an interview.
+1

+1, btw I didn't receive an email about it, I had to directly check the portal

Hey guys on the question on wishing to practice in Indiana, how did you respond? Im not quite sure i want to practice in Indiana but also dont want to hurt my chances of getting in (assuming its going to leave a bad taste in the adcom's mouth). Help any suggestion

Hey guys on the question on wishing to practice in Indiana, how did you respond? Im not quite sure i want to practice in Indiana but also dont want to hurt my chances of getting in (assuming its going to leave a bad taste in the adcom's mouth). Help any suggestion
I currently live in Boston and have never been to Indianapolis, so I went the approach of explaining how I have worked with the Boston population for so long that I wish to return with a degree that can help the community further. I mentioned how the communities are similar (urban, minorities) but I'm not ruling out living in Indiana completely.
Hope that helps!

Does anyone have an idea of what may be beneficial to add to the "Any relevant info" question? 750 characters isn't a lot and I feel like I've covered mostly everything in the other questions. Would it be super bad to just leave it blank?

I was on the Virtual Med School Fair and thought I'd share with you all that the Admissions director said they hope to send out II by August 17th! Mix of MMI and traditional!

Reactions: 5 users
@MU COM, which other disciplines might also cover the sociology prerequisite requirement? I have several credits in economics, philosophy, epidemiology, and ethics. Thank you!

@MU COM, which other disciplines might also cover the sociology prerequisite requirement? I have several credits in economics, philosophy, epidemiology, and ethics. Thank you!
Hi Loosiee,
We will accept Anthropology for our Sociology requirement, but for any other course we would have to review the course syllabus. We rarely make exceptions. I hope this helps!

Secondary received! I love every aspect of this school, so far my top choice.

Edit: Secondary submitted (08/06).

Last edited:
I submitted the secondary application today! I didn’t see the characters limit so I wrote a lot more than I should. Wondering if that’s ok? :/

I submitted the secondary application today! I didn’t see the characters limit so I wrote a lot more than I should. Wondering if that’s ok? :/
Which browser did you use? I used google chrome and was able to see the character limits. It is important you check on this with admissions to make sure your essay prompts were not cut off. They are always happy to answer questions from students.

Which browser did you use? I used google chrome and was able to see the character limits. It is important you check on this with admissions to make sure your essay prompts were not cut off. They are always happy to answer questions from students.
I used safari. Yes I’ll call to let them know. Thanks.

OK so I submitted my secondary application today, but it says that they still need my letters of rec for the app to be complete. Don't they get the letters of rec from AACOMAS? Also how long did take after submission of the secondary for it to be finally complete?

OK so I submitted my secondary application today, but it says that they still need my letters of rec for the app to be complete. Don't they get the letters of rec from AACOMAS? Also how long did take after submission of the secondary for it to be finally complete?
It may take a few days because it requires someone going through and checking it. If all of your materials are on AACOMAS, then you are good to go!

My LORs are still not complete and they were submitted on 7/25. Is this normal for this school or should I call?

My LORs are still not complete and they were submitted on 7/25. Is this normal for this school or should I call?
I think this is normal for MU-COM. Correct me if I'm wrong @MU COM
@ijustwanttogetin2017, if you have time to check out threads for previous cycles, you will notice a pattern. I am in the same boat. I guess we just have to be patient.

Hi All,
Thank you for the question regarding LORs as we get a lot of questions about them. Once you receive your supplemental application there is an attachment to the email. In that attachment it states

"The entire process—from your submission to our review—can take 2—3 weeks, depending on the volume of letters that we receive. Please resist the urge to call us about the status of your letters unless two-three weeks have passed from the date of our confirmation email. "

With this week being our orientation week it has been extremely busy and unfortunately LORs have not been the priority. Our staff will begin reviewing LORs once again next week! I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Has anyone who went through past MUCOM threads know when they typically send out II?