2018-2019 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

verified 5/24. Maryland resident.

undergrad: cGPA 3.19/sGPA 2.95
graduate (40 credits): cGPA 4.0/sGPA 4.0
overall: cGPA 3.39/sGPA 3.28

MCAT: 508 (126/124/129/129)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received earlier today. Having a hard time deciding between Virginia vs. Carolina

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Secondary received. For the question "Have you had any lapse of 2 years or greater in taking full time college-level coursework?" do they mean even after graduation or throughout undergrad?

Also, if a service activity that played a large role in my decision to become a physician was discussed in my PS, should I mention it in this question?

I was verified 5/29 and still haven't received mine. Would they have sent a rejection email if I got screened out?

I was verified 5/29 and still haven't received mine. Would they have sent a rejection email if I got screened out?
I'm wondering the same thing, I was verified before the 7th as well and haven't received a secondary invite or rejection email. I double checked my spam too, but there is nothing there which is making me nervous :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering the same thing, I was verified before the 7th as well and haven't received a secondary invite or rejection email. I double checked my spam too, but there is nothing there which is making me nervous :confused:
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? (feel free to PM me)

I’m an incoming student this year, let me know if you guys have any questions! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Which campus is the best in your opinion?

Virginia is the most competitive I hear from a lot of people. I am very fortunate to have been chosen to interview at that campus. So not sure if that qualifies as “best” haha. For ranking, I think for a lot of people it will come down to being closer to family and friends, where you would feel the most comfortable living and etc.

I was looking at last years posts for all of the campuses and it looked like people received the emails starting the 21st and continuing through the next week or so if they were verified before the 15th. So I'm still holding out hope haha

I was looking at last years posts for all of the campuses and it looked like people received the emails starting the 21st and continuing through the next week or so if they were verified before the 15th. So I'm still holding out hope haha
Makes sense. I also applied to the Carolinas campus as my primary one, that might change when I get it

Secondary received. For the question "Have you had any lapse of 2 years or greater in taking full time college-level coursework?" do they mean even after graduation or throughout undergrad?

Also wondering this... Technically during my last semester of undergrad, I only needed to be part time to complete my major and minor, and by the time of matriculation, I'll have taken 2 gap years. Should I explain this as my response to this secondary question?

My secondary is ready to submit however my DO is out of the country and can't get me my LOR until July 1st. Should I go ahead and submit my secondary without that LOR or should I wait until I have everything together??

My secondary is ready to submit however my DO is out of the country and can't get me my LOR until July 1st. Should I go ahead and submit my secondary without that LOR or should I wait until I have everything together??
Submit the secondary.

Just received the secondary this morning! Verified 6/7

Is anyone else having issues submitting the secondary? Every time I go to login I receive an error message and I don't know why. Any help would be appreciated.

Is anyone else having issues submitting the secondary? Every time I go to login I receive an error message and I don't know why. Any help would be appreciated.

If you just received the email then it may be that it is not setup for you just yet because I know it said it could take up to two days until you are able to login and complete your secondary. In my case it took a few hours before it let me login after I received the secondary invite.

If you just received the email then it may be that it is not setup for you just yet because I know it said it could take up to two days until you are able to login and complete your secondary. In my case it took a few hours before it let me login after I received the secondary invite.
That's what I thought too, but I received the invite last Wednesday.. so you would think it would be set up by now. Not sure what to do at this point.

Anyone else get the "your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee" email from them?

Are you still having issues?
I contacted them and they reset my password thankfully. I submitted the secondary but it hasn't updated on the site yet.. I paid and everything so does it normally take some time?

Hoping to finish my secondary tonight!

Do they send out "complete" emails? I got my LORs into aacomas about a week ago but still haven't heard back.
I submitted on the 22nd and had my LORs into AACOMAs about a week before that, but just got my complete email today, so I think it might just be taking a while.

For the secondary, would I be able to count being an intern as a service activity. I know it doesn't count as volunteer given that it was part of a class, but the question does ask volunteer or service, almost making it like they are accounting for something like that. Any thoughts?

For the secondary, would I be able to count being an intern as a service activity. I know it doesn't count as volunteer given that it was part of a class, but the question does ask volunteer or service, almost making it like they are accounting for something like that. Any thoughts?
I have the same question...

I have the same question...
Someone asked this question in another VCOM thread, but I think since it says both you could definitely argue it either way. I wouldn't see any harm in putting it on there if you did want to, but who am I to say

Hey there! Wife of an applicant here.

It might be my Type A personality but I'm having a hard time being patient waiting for my husband to hear back! He submitted last week - would you say there's about a 2-3 week wait for the next step?

Stats -
sGPA 3.83 cGPA 3.84 MCAT 504

My secondary was received and complete 6/26, and I chose Virginia campus as my preference. Anyone know how hard it would be to switch preference to Carolinas?

My secondary was received and complete 6/26, and I chose Virginia campus as my preference. Anyone know how hard it would be to switch preference to Carolinas?

I'd just call them and ask if it's possible. They've been very helpful when I've had questions so far.

Can someone post the secondary questions please?

All of the prompts have a 500 word limit.

Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.

Have you had any lapse of 2 years or greater in taking full time college-level coursework?

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody pending review? Got the email 7/10 and haven't heard anything since....

how long does the review usually take

This secondary portal is a mess. Once it’s submitted and says validation passed and it has a submission date, I should be good right?

This secondary portal is a mess. Once it’s submitted and says validation passed and it has a submission date, I should be good right?
Yeah, but then there’s another portal to check your status, but that one is also a mess, lol. It’s either the 2nd or 3rd link in the secondary email.