2017-2018 UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Make sure you apply to fafsa ASAP because you can get a decent grant (average of $2519) from TCOM. It's a needs-based grant so if you made too much money last year, you won't get it. I got an email last year on 12/12/16 from Mike saying scholarships were opened and they close February of the following year.
Awesome, thank you soooo much!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the stats of the percentage of accepted people among those that interviewed?

Does anyone know the stats of the percentage of accepted people among those that interviewed?

iirc about 2/3 of the interviewees get an offer. They told us the exact numbers from last year at the interview but I didn't write them down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when TCOM stops calling people offering interviews? I know they interview till January, but how early in advance do they call? I'm just getting anxious

My interview is set for next Tuesday and I received my call about three weeks ago. On the other hand, one of my friends also has her interview set on the same day and received her invitation six weeks ago. I know it's nothing specific, but hopefully that'll be a bit of a help.

So I looked up the website and TCOM grades the applicants based on a 10 point system.
-5 points for cognitive (GPA, MCAT)
-5 points for non cognitive (interview, application, letters, etc)

I felt like I bombed my interview (nothing that would red flag me, just felt I didn't convey myself to the best of my ability). Hearing 2/3 get an offer eases my mind some. I should be okay with a LizzyM of 69-71, right? I'd love to prematch here early however!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when TCOM stops calling people offering interviews? I know they interview till January, but how early in advance do they call? I'm just getting anxious
Just got an interview invite today! I was offered dates approximately a month away.

Reactions: 3 users
So I looked up the website and TCOM grades the applicants based on a 10 point system.
-5 points for cognitive (GPA, MCAT)
-5 points for non cognitive (interview, application, letters, etc)

I felt like I bombed my interview (nothing that would red flag me, just felt I didn't convey myself to the best of my ability). Hearing 2/3 get an offer eases my mind some. I should be okay with a LizzyM of 69-71, right? I'd love to prematch here early however!
I think having a LizzyM in that range will give you a few extra cushions to possibly even out what might have been a not so good interview, given that they do score their applicants this way. Besides, you may have done a lot better than you think! I wouldn't worry about it because there isn't much more that you can do at this point. Just be patient, I hear a good majority of the class isn't notified until Match Day. Good luck!

When was your application transmitted by TMDSAS, if you don’t mind me asking? Congratulations on the II!
Thanks! I had a late application transmitted like October 2nd, then didn't turn in my secondary for another week and a half after that.

II today, complete 8/3. Was offered late november or early December

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! OOS :) So excited to meet everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! OOS :) So excited to meet everyone!
Congrats and welcome to the class of 2022! The Facebook group has been made so you should get an invite to that too!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any advice to share on the file review? Also, any advice on preparing for the MMI? Anyone seen good examples of similar questions? Thanks!

Does anyone have any advice to share on the file review? Also, any advice on preparing for the MMI? Anyone seen good examples of similar questions? Thanks!

See post #326.

Also,

Anyone have an idea on how prematch heavy TCOM is?

I've been hearing about a lot of people in the Master's program getting interviews now, but sadly I haven't yet. Are they interviewing people with high stats right now? Can someone from the master's program provide me some insight? Thank you :)

I got my II 2 weeks ago--scheduled for Nov 17th. Does anyone have advice for the interview day? This is my top choice school so I really do want to be prepared

My application was transmitted to TCOM on 9/25. I made a 501 on my MCAT and a cGPA of 3.74 and sGPA of 3.58 (those GPA's are cumulative of my undergrad GPA and grad school GPA). I have not heard back from TCOM and I am getting a little worried, as it is my top choice. Is it too late to receive an II? :/

My application was transmitted to TCOM on 9/25. I made a 501 on my MCAT and a cGPA of 3.74 and sGPA of 3.58 (those GPA's are cumulative of my undergrad GPA and grad school GPA). I have not heard back from TCOM and I am getting a little worried, as it is my top choice. Is it too late to receive an II? :/
It's definitely not too late to receive an II, today they said they were still receiving applications and sending out invites.

This might have been asked already but I can't find it; where do you locate the information for the schools you interviewed on TMDSAS? I intervewed last week and they told us it will show up within 3 days but I still don't see it.

I got my II 2 weeks ago--scheduled for Nov 17th. Does anyone have advice for the interview day? This is my top choice school so I really do want to be prepared
Interview day was awesome! Amazing food, the faculty are really friendly. The OMM lab is gorgeous!
Be yourself. UNTHSC is a big research place in addition to a medical school--if you like research this is important to be aware of. It's in a cool area so look in to what the nearby attractions are. Familiarize yourself with osteopathic medicine and what about it you connect with. Be nice to everyone and assume you are always being watched (not this school in particular, but in general on interview days). Read through your application--activities and essays to familiarize yourself with the themes you introduced as far as why they wanted to grant you an interview in the first place. Best of luck!

I am in the same position as you (504 mcat, 3.74 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA)...been complete since 5/25 and haven't heard back. I assume that they continue interviewing until the first few weeks of January so maybe there's still a chance!

After what date do TX residents get their responses? Was it November 15th?

After what date do TX residents get their responses? Was it November 15th?
November 15th to December 31 is open to prematch offers, match day for TX is February 1. During the interview orientation they said they start emailing about the waitlist ~February 2

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I interviewed here nearly two weeks ago and I'll share some advice.

File review - they just want to confirm a few things that you had on your file and ask for updates, very casual, and it's okay if you have nothing to report.

MMI - I personally did a lot of preparation for the MMIs and I thought that it wasn't really useful since my experience with the MMIs here have been completely different than any prompts I've seen. I would recommend just practicing a few to get the ball rolling in terms of thinking on your feet. Additionally, I would recommend that you review your overall primary application in case any of that is related to the prompt so you can provide personal experiences, etc.

To gauge # of interview remaining: While I was waiting outside for my interview, an admissions office personnel mentioned that they had interviewed ~ 500 students thus far and overall, Dr. Kennedy said they were expecting to interview around 700-750 students this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone withdrawn their app here? How does one do that

Is TCOM prematch heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! First year TCOM student here (Class of 2021) - I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the school, curriculum, life in Fort Worth, and whatever else might pique your interest. Good luck to everyone interviewing, and congrats to those who have received word about acceptances :highfive:

Hi everyone! First year TCOM student here (Class of 2021) - I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the school, curriculum, life in Fort Worth, and whatever else might pique your interest. Good luck to everyone interviewing, and congrats to those who have received word about acceptances :highfive:
Are lectures mandatory? If not, do they provide them recorded to view later? Thanks!

Was my diagnosis correct today for cervical? Will I redoc?

Are lectures mandatory? If not, do they provide them recorded to view later? Thanks!

Absolutely not mandatory. People have even been skipping OMM labs to study for other exams (we get three skips before we fail). All lectures are recorded and they have only dropped the ball for ONE recording this year and it wasn't even the IT department's fault.

To gauge # of interview remaining: While I was waiting outside for my interview, an admissions office personnel mentioned that they had interviewed ~ 500 students thus far and overall, Dr. Kennedy said they were expecting to interview around 700-750 students this year.

This is quite helpful information! It’s nice to know there may be 200-250 of us anxiously waiting for IIs, and we may not be waiting too much longer!

Was my diagnosis correct today for cervical? Will I redoc?

Absolutely not mandatory. People have even been skipping OMM labs to study for other exams (we get three skips before we fail). All lectures are recorded and they have only dropped the ball for ONE recording this year and it wasn't even the IT department's fault.

Great, thanks!

II today! IS. Honestly, TCOM is my #1 DO choice.

II via phone at 7:43AM today! IS. Scheduled interview for December 5th!

What is it like to have the 8-5 PM schedule? I am currently working full time so I am familiar with the daily schedule but I know it will be different when it is school!

Also, do you know of anyone who commutes to FW? If I am accepted (crossing my fingers for a response on Wednesday), my husband and I are looking at buying a home about 30 min away so that he can continue to work in Allen.

Thanks!

What is it like to have the 8-5 PM schedule? I am currently working full time so I am familiar with the daily schedule but I know it will be different when it is school!

Also, do you know of anyone who commutes to FW? If I am accepted (crossing my fingers for a response on Wednesday), my husband and I are looking at buying a home about 30 min away so that he can continue to work in Allen.

Thanks!

Classes are completely not mandatory since you can watch lectures at home. The majority of the week you'll be out way earlier. Some days you're done before noon. Lectures typically have under 50% of the class in them. Picking and choosing the best lectures to go to seems to work well for me. Some lectures you shouldn't watch at home like radiology, since the professor uses laser pointers to guide you so you don't really want to be lost at home.

A heavy day of "8-5" would be 8-noon classes, followed by a two hour afternoon lab (you'll be in either of two groups, so one group is from 1-3 and the other from 3-5), and then lectures you study at home call "DSAs". Basically you study these DSAs (powerpoint slides) and the next day your lectures are really interactive clicker sessions with some teaching from the professor. Depends on who the professor is, the whole time can just be filled with questions and discussion rather than any teaching. The labs are relaxing to me, so I enjoy them. The schedule is 8-5 I guess if you include these DSAs, otherwise, you just need to be present during labs and exams/quizzes.

Farthest person I know that commuted was driving from Irving. His grade improved once he moved closer, but he was scoring above class average regardless. I've heard of people commuting from as far as Denton. I debated on moving to Fort Worth, but I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
is it Wednesday yet????