2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mr. IceHocky et al,
Being placed on hold means the reviewer of your file wanted a second set of eyes, so your file will be sent to the review committee and the application will be reviewed once again. A final decision will be made after the review committee. I hope this helps!

It does help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an email that my application has been put on hold? what does it mean and how bad is that?

Members don't see this ad :)
II- So stoked, I think my Hoosier roots were clutch- I wonder if MU-COM has an international student community that can give feedback etc on the school

Reactions: 1 user
Placed on hold, so hopefully, the second review goes well.

Placed on hold, so hopefully, the second review goes well.
We got this!

Mr. IceHocky et al,
Being placed on hold means the reviewer of your file wanted a second set of eyes, so your file will be sent to the review committee and the application will be reviewed once again. A final decision will be made after the review committee. I hope this helps!

@MU COM. Can you describe the process any more detail? The hold email says a committee will review it again and make a decision. Did a committee review it the first time or was it an individual? Did students successfully get IIs after a similar 2nd review process last year?

Reactions: 1 users
We got this!

@MU COM. Can you describe the process any more detail? The hold email says a committee will review it again and make a decision. Did a committee review it the first time or was it an individual? Did students successfully get IIs after a similar 2nd review process last year?
A single person who is apart of MUCOM admissions, faculty, and/or staff reviews an application first. If a reviewer is on the fence about an application or would like a second opinion, the application will be placed on hold. Once this occurs there is a committee that meets typically once every 2-3 weeks. The committee reviews and will vote on the application's final decision. There were a multitude of students who received an II after the second review last year.

Reactions: 3 users
A single person who is apart of MUCOM admissions, faculty, and/or staff reviews an application first. If a reviewer is on the fence about an application or would like a second opinion, the application will be placed on hold. Once this occurs there is a committee that meets typically once every 2-3 weeks. The committee reviews and will vote on the application's final decision. There were a multitude of students who received an II after the second review last year.

Thanks a ton for some insight to behind the scenes. To all of us on hold. Keep your heads high!

I did not receive an II and did not receive an email that I am on hold :(. I am too scared to call this is my top choice! Did I get rejected?

I did not receive an II and did not receive an email that I am on hold :(. I am too scared to call this is my top choice! Did I get rejected?
Have patience, still very early! Just means that they are still reviewing

@MU COM

I have been appreciatively granted an interview for this cycle with my 504 MCAT score. I was thinking about retaking my MCAT, because I believe I can do better thus increasing my chances at acceptance post-interview. Marian is my top choice, I'd like to improve my chances in any way possible. However, I am afraid as well in risking potentially doing worse on the MCAT. I've heard horror stories. Is it required by Marian to submit all MCAT scores on AACOMAS, even those we retake after applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
@MU COM

I have been appreciatively granted an interview for this cycle with my 504 MCAT score. I was thinking about retaking my MCAT, because I believe I can do better thus increasing my chances at acceptance post-interview. Marian is my top choice, I'd like to improve my chances in any way possible. However, I am afraid as well in risking potentially doing worse on the MCAT. I've heard horror stories. Is it required by Marian to submit all MCAT scores on AACOMAS, even those we retake after applying?

Just my two cents but this seems a bit sneakish. If you don't get in, you do have to report all your scores to future schools. That much I know. I'm not sure why you'd retake just to retake if you don't feel you're going to make serious improvement! My score was pretty similar. I'm not ecstatic about it but felt that given my GPA and extracurricular activities that I had a shot with my current score. Doesn't make sense to rush and re-take without serious studying and score improvement beforehand. If you retake it and remain the same or do worse, that definitely would reflect poorly. Don't retake unless you're prepared to really improve since they will see all of your scores.

How long did it take for everyone's letters to be marked received? It's been 3 weeks for me over here with no luck. Thanks

Did all of your letters get marked complete at the same time? My professor letters are complete but my DO letter is not.
They all got marked at the same time and I got an email saying I was complete. I'd email them/call them to ask in case something is wrong (missing letterhead or something)

Did all of your letters get marked complete at the same time? My professor letters are complete but my DO letter is not.
Definitely give them a call. This same thing happened to me back when I applied. It turned out there was a problem with my physician letter.

Anyone here interviewing tomorrow??

How long did it take for the portal to update the letters? I have submitted my secondary on 9/5 and it still didn't update my letters.

How long did it take for the portal to update the letters? I have submitted my secondary on 9/5 and it still didn't update my letters.
I submitted my secondary in early August and it took about three weeks for it to be marked complete. No choice but to be patient.

For anyone interviewing here, did you or are you planning on bringing any sort of purse/bag/briefcase? I dont know if they will give us papers we need to hang on to, or if I should bring any sort of paper documentation of any minor updates I have for them.

Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks.
Characters Remaining:750

Do you have research experience?

Yes

No

• If yes, please describe. * Required

• Characters Remaining:750

Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)?

Yes

No

• If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty of physician, and amount of time spent shadowing). * Required
Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)
Characters Remaining:1250

Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?

Yes

No

• If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not.

• Characters Remaining:1250

In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?

Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific.

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

For anyone interviewing here, did you or are you planning on bringing any sort of purse/bag/briefcase? I dont know if they will give us papers we need to hang on to, or if I should bring any sort of paper documentation of any minor updates I have for them.

I just interviewed here today and they gave us a folder which had the day's itinerary and other information sheets about the school in it as well as a name tag. We didn't need anything else and they didn't give us anything else except that folder. You can bring a purse or briefcase that's up to you, I personally don't think it's necessary but they do give you a place to put your belongings before you actually interview. If you want to bring one of those black folders with a legal pad and pen, that might be helpful because we were allowed to write down notes we wanted to talk about while we were reading the MMI prompts. Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think the email said that each MMI station is 12 minutes? How does MMI work in general? Do you have 2 of the 12 minutes to respond to the prompt and then speak for 5-7 minutes?

I think the email said that each MMI station is 12 minutes? How does MMI work in general? Do you have 2 of the 12 minutes to respond to the prompt and then speak for 5-7 minutes?

Each MMI is a total of 12 minutes. You have 2 of those 12 minutes to read the prompt and then 10 minutes inside the room to discuss with the faculty. It was actually fun and engaging, different from your traditional interview questions. I did not do anything to prepare and was able to adequately respond. Good luck!

@scoobykim Do you discuss with the faculty? or are you just speaking/addressing all sides of the situation and giving your final decision and they just listen to you the whole time?

Each MMI is a total of 12 minutes. You have 2 of those 12 minutes to read the prompt and then 10 minutes inside the room to discuss with the faculty. It was actually fun and engaging, different from your traditional interview questions. I did not do anything to prepare and was able to adequately respond. Good luck!

How easy is it to last 10 minutes in conversation? I did an interview a few days ago and the mmis were only five minutes and I had to pry the people to even get them to talk

@scoobykim Do you discuss with the faculty? or are you just speaking/addressing all sides of the situation and giving your final decision and they just listen to you the whole time?

How easy is it to last 10 minutes in conversation? I did an interview a few days ago and the mmis were only five minutes and I had to pry the people to even get them to talk

You discuss with the faculty and they are asking questions based on what you're stating, or about alternative perspectives on the situation. and it was easy to last 10 minutes with the faculty, they really try to engage in the conversation and keep it going.

What do you all think of the surrounding neighborhood of MU? I interviewed there recently, drove around the campus, and was surprised by how sketchy the surrounding neighborhood is.

What do you all think of the surrounding neighborhood of MU? I interviewed there recently, drove around the campus, and was surprised by how sketchy the surrounding neighborhood is.

Pomona was the same. Step off campus and youre in the hood.

The 10 minutes flew by for me! I think I spent the first 5 or so minutes just talking by myself, and then my interviewers had follow-up questions that they asked in addition to the scenario like "what if this happened?" and stuff like that. It honestly was very relaxed and they were very nice about it! It wasn't like they were just staring at you and you just had to talk. In the end if there's time left, they would just generally talk you and say how's your interview day going, do you have questions for us, where are you from, things like that. I also didn't prepare much, and was just fine. The scenarios are very ethical based and they just want to see how you'd react and what you would do. No tricks. Best of luck to everyone interviewing in the near future!

They were conversational. My interviewer responded to what I said and have follow up questions or reworded things from the original question

Is it obvious when there is an MMI with an actor that you have to role play with as opposed to... an MMI where you just give your viewpoint on a scenario for 6-7 min?

Is it obvious when there is an MMI with an actor that you have to role play with as opposed to... an MMI where you just give your viewpoint on a scenario for 6-7 min?
They only use prompts that you go in and discuss.

They let you know by Thursday for the people who interviewed last Fri/Sat! It's crazy fast (less than a week) :D So it's killing me and making me excited

Reactions: 2 users