2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the normal turn around time after complete?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the normal turn around time after complete?
Hi futuredrexdoc,
Typically our turn around time is 2-4 weeks, but with being the beginning of the cycle it is much closer to 4 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi futuredrexdoc,
Typically our turn around time is 2-4 weeks, but with being the beginning of the cycle it is much closer to 4 weeks.
Thank you, I really appreciate the transparency MU has in answering our questions on here. Speaks levels about the program!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
nvm

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I noticed Marian requires sociology as a pre-req. Does sociology need to be completed prior to applying or can the course be completed anytime between applying and starting the program? Thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Jds

Hi everyone,

I noticed Marian requires sociology as a pre-req. Does sociology need to be completed prior to applying or can the course be completed anytime between applying and starting the program? Thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Jds
Sociology does not need to be completed prior to applying. If admitted, you must have the course complete before July 15 of your matriculating year. Hope this helps!

lawd help me... the sphincter puckering is really beginning to set in towards the prospect of getting an II

last year's MU-COM rep said "first round of interviews [were] going out no later than 8/12"...
then they said "as of 8/4, screening for interview invites have started; screening can take at least three weeks and interview invites should start on 8/19"

then lucky boys and gals started to chime in on 8/22 that they received IIs!!! so just approximately 20 more days until the first chosen few are blessed, but who's counting

For those of you that are complete, how long did it take for your letters to appear on the portal after completing the secondary?

I submitted on 7/24, however, my letters are not on the portal yet.

Thanks! I submitted on 7/17 and they still aren't there. I am going to give it a few more days and then call to make sure there isn't a problem from my end!

lawd help me... the sphincter puckering is really beginning to set in towards the prospect of getting an II

last year's MU-COM rep said "first round of interviews [were] going out no later than 8/12"...
then they said "as of 8/4, screening for interview invites have started; screening can take at least three weeks and interview invites should start on 8/19"

then lucky boys and gals started to chime in on 8/22 that they received IIs!!! so just approximately 20 more days until the first chosen few are blessed, but who's counting

Like your logic, let's all hope! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@MU COM any updates on if screening for interview invites has begun?
We have began screening for interviews. If you will reference an earlier post we are scheduled to send out the first wave interview invites either the 2nd or 3rd week of August. We appreciate your patience!

Hi all,

I was wondering how I can upload letters from Interfolio to MU-COM. I know that they do not accept recommendations on paper and thus was unable to find an email address for delivery of my letters. Where do I send them to?

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely so in love with this school. Heres to wishing luck is on our side! Positive wishes everyone.

Absolutely so in love with this school. Heres to wishing luck is on our side! Positive wishes everyone.

Genuinely curious - why do I keep seeing people talking about how much they love this school? Is Marian offering some exceptional experience that other DO schools don't offer? Or is it just the location for some people?

Genuinely curious - why do I keep seeing people talking about how much they love this school? Is Marian offering some exceptional experience that other DO schools don't offer? Or is it just the location for some people?

well they have their own hospital....that's pretty rare for DOs

well they have their own hospital....that's pretty rare for DOs

They definitely do not have their hospital. They have very strong ties with hospitals across the state, but the most notable are at St. Vincent's and Community Health in Indianapolis.

I'm an incoming OMS-1 at MU-COM and I hope you have the opportunity to interview here because it really was a great experience. MU-COM does have a great location, but there's so much more to the school. Speaking from my interview experience, we were given a folder with information for the day, but there were also letters from the community (Community Health, St. Vincent's, Eli Lily) recommending Marian and MU-COM. That was the first thing that stood out to me. Additionally, we had the opportunity to talk with current students about the good and the bad. They have third-year rotations set up so that we can do majority, if not all of them, in Indianapolis and the suburbs outside of Indy.

By comparison, I interviewed at LECOM and NYIT-AR. LECOM, for me, had to many unnecessary rules: dress code, mandatory attendance, no food in the lectures. When LECOM showed us their anatomy lab, it was pretty gross. There were dirty instruments just laying out and the room had no order to it. Overall, LECOM just left a bad taste in my mouth. I was impressed with NYIT-AR and I would say their facilities are similar to MU-COM; both are new, have simulation rooms, and ample study space. NYIT-AR had not finalized rotation sites when I was there. To their credit, they did say they were in place and they had enough spots for everyone.

I have more I can share, but I'm not here to make you fall in love with school; I think you will do that on your own :) If you have any other questions, I'm more than willing to share.

Is anyone's LORs still not uploaded? I submitted almost a month ago and I did call them sometime in mid-July asking about this. They told me that there was some sort of technical difficulty with their system uploading letters from AACOMAS but that they were in the works of resolving the issue.

Is anyone's LORs still not uploaded? I submitted almost a month ago and I did call them sometime in mid-July asking about this. They told me that there was some sort of technical difficulty with their system uploading letters from AACOMAS but that they were in the works of resolving the issue.

My letters aren't there yet and I have been complete for a while now. I was going to wait until the weekend and then call next week if they still aren't uploaded.

They definitely do not have their hospital. They have very strong ties with hospitals across the state, but the most notable are at St. Vincent's and Community Health in Indianapolis.

oh thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought they did but nevermind lol

My letters aren't there yet and I have been complete for a while now. I was going to wait until the weekend and then call next week if they still aren't uploaded.
Did you get any updates from them? I'm in the same boat and emailed them this morning but haven't received a response regarding my letters.

Did you get any updates from them? I'm in the same boat and emailed them this morning but haven't received a response regarding my letters.

Not yet, but I emailed them this morning as well. I'll post with any updates!

I'm sure I'm overthinking this. For the question regarding gaps in education and employment - I have been out of college for 5 years, but I have been employed full-time with no gaps. Do I need to write anything for this section explaining that? Most schools only ask about gaps in education, where I then explain what I've been doing since graduation. Since this school is asking about gaps in education or employment, that doesn't really pertain to my situation, right?

I completed my secondary 6/26, and it took several weeks for my LOR's to show up as accepted on my portal. I was stressing out too so I eventually emailed them, and even tho my portal did not say "received" the Adcom said my letters were there! A few days later the portal reflected this. Pretty much, if your letters are accepted on AACOMAS you are probably good to go!

I'm sure I'm overthinking this. For the question regarding gaps in education and employment - I have been out of college for 5 years, but I have been employed full-time with no gaps. Do I need to write anything for this section explaining that? Most schools only ask about gaps in education, where I then explain what I've been doing since graduation. Since this school is asking about gaps in education or employment, that doesn't really pertain to my situation, right?

gaps in education specifically means if you were going to school and had to stop going for a bit and then went back. Gaps in employment same. You do not have any gaps in education and employment so this section is not for you. You would explain your employment in a section that asks about gap years or what you've done since graduating or "is there anything else you want to tell the admissions commitee" ....but i would think you included this employment in your primary.

Well, we are officially in the "2nd to 3rd week in August" range by now. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
II today as well via email! complete 7/24, OOS

Does MU send out "complete emails"? or do we have to log in to check our status?

II! Interviewing on 9/8!

Has anyone encountered problems with LOR acceptances, due to lack of signature? Would it be worth my time to request my recommender sign and resubmit to AACOMAS?

Has anyone encountered problems with LOR acceptances, due to lack of signature? Would it be worth my time to request my recommender sign and resubmit to AACOMAS?

I had issues with this last year and it greatly delayed the turn around of my app. I'd recommend you try to re-request your letters on letterhead with signatures sooner than later, since it's required by the institution.

Not yet, but I emailed them this morning as well. I'll post with any updates!
My email never got a response so I called them today and they checked and completed my file! Try calling them this morning if you haven't already.

Just got an email saying I was put on hold and they'll review my app in 2-4 weeks. Does anyone know if they allow updates?

Just got an email saying I was put on hold and they'll review my app in 2-4 weeks. Does anyone know if they allow updates?

^ I got the same email. Anyone else? I too am interested in what exactly this means, and how I can get off the "hold" pile and into the "interview" pile