2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone else applying!

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my app on June 1st! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Important Dates for 2018 Applicants

As you consider MU-COM, here are important application dates and deadlines for you to remember.

July 1, 2017
Processing starts.

July 11, 2017
Letters of recommendation will start to be reviewed.

July 15, 2017
AACOMAS applications must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

August 15, 2017
All application materials must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

September 8, 2017
Interviews start.

September 14, 2017
Admissions Committee starts.

September 29, 2017
Admission decisions sent for Early Decision Program.

December 14, 2017
First seat deposit deadline (per AACOMAS traffic guidelines).

March 1, 2018
Supplemental application deadline at 5 PM EDT.

March 2, 2018
Application processing ends. Materials received after 5 PM EDT will not be processed.

April 14, 2018
Interviews end.

May 1, 2018
Tuition deposit deadline.

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

--Admissions

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the following email:
I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your application for admission for the entering fall 2018 class. Within the next 1—2 weeks, you may receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your application for admission for the entering fall 2018 class. Within the next 1—2 weeks, you may receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

+1

Here are our LOR guidelines, please take a look at this as it will help ensure your file is completed in a timely manner!

Attachments

• LOR recommendations 2017.docx
    57 KB · Views: 219
Here are our LOR guidelines, please take a look at this as it will help ensure your file is completed in a timely manner!

My letters have already been uploaded through AACOMAS and do not have my ID attached to the title - so is it best to just submit them directly through interfolio since the title can be edited and include my ID number?

Thanks!

My letters have already been uploaded through AACOMAS and do not have my ID attached to the title - so is it best to just submit them directly through interfolio since the title can be edited and include my ID number?

Thanks!

As per the document, I don't think it needs to have your ID if you have uploaded it through AACOMAS. I may be wrong, though.

+1

What a random email. Watch next email be...yeah just updating you, we just printed the applications and put them on the desk. Now we are currently looking through the first page. You may receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

Hi onmywaytobeadoc,
You only need your AACOMAS ID on letters that are not submitted through AACOMAS.

What a random email. Watch next email be...yeah just updating you, we just printed the applications and put them on the desk. Now we are currently looking through the first page. You may receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

I haven't heard a single thing from several other schools yet...

At the very least it's an acknowledgement that no weird error has occurred downloading my app from ACCOMAS to MUCOM and that they're priming their app engines :soexcited:

Hey all, about to start at MU-COM in August so I can't answer questions yet about class, but I can help if anyone has questions about the whole application process. I can already tell this school is going to be amazing...GOOD LUCK!! :)

Just got the secondary as well!

@AlteredScale

Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.) [1250 characters]

Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not. [1250 characters]

In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why? [1250 characters]

Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific. [1250 characters]

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you. [750 characters]

wooooooot finally an official secondary from my dream school :D good *burrrrp* luck everyone

Secondary received but Does Marian not waive the application fee
I don't have an advisor LOR, would another science letter be able to replace the advisor requirement?

I don't have an advisor LOR, would another science letter be able to replace the advisor requirement?

mabemo,
Yes, you may replace an advisor LOR with another science professor LOR

Yes, they do. On the application they ask if you received a waiver and further ask to upload a pdf of proof. Just screenshot the email you received from AACOMAS and upload it. It waives it automatically after you submit the secondary application.

Yes, they do. On the application they ask if you received a waiver and further ask to upload a pdf of proof. Just screenshot the email you received from AACOMAS and upload it. It waives it automatically after you submit the secondary application.
Thank you! :)

Hey guys, I'm about to start my 3rd year here at Marian. Here if you guys have any questions. Also feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Finished my secondary, but had to resubmit my interfolio letters, because I didn't attach my AACOMAS ID. Sigh. I hope that doesn't mess them up.

Hey all, about to start at MU-COM in August so I can't answer questions yet about class, but I can help if anyone has questions about the whole application process. I can already tell this school is going to be amazing...GOOD LUCK!! :)
Hi congrats!! I actually have a q on LORs. I'm finishing up my primary now and Marian is the first school I'm sending an app to. Do LORs need to be in before secondaries? And if I did have them in sooner rather than later would that increase my chances? Or is it fine to wait until secondaries? Thank you?

Hi,

Can I approach the question "Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM" as "Why MU-COM"?

Hi,

Can I approach the question "Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM" as "Why MU-COM"?

That's pretty much what they're asking, just in a different way.

Secondary recieved!

Hey guys, I'm about to start my 3rd year here at Marian. Here if you guys have any questions. Also feel free to PM me. Good luck!

What opportunities are present at Marian University for students?

Hey thanks! How is your experience at Marian? I realize that it's rather a new school but the opportunities sound amazing here. I was very excited to apply here. Any discrepancies that I should think about? Can you briefly mention the pros and cons in terms of education, rotations, your upperclassmen finding residencies and faculty/school support?

What opportunities are present at Marian University for students?
Hey thanks! How is your experience at Marian? I realize that it's rather a new school but the opportunities sound amazing here. I was very excited to apply here. Any discrepancies that I should think about? Can you briefly mention the pros and cons in terms of education, rotations, your upperclassmen finding residencies and faculty/school support?
I'll group you guys together and tell you about my experience.

Both the school itself and Indianapolis have a ton to offer. Personally, I am involved in the Meaningful Mentoring program. This program sets you up with a community physician and you meet once a month (or as often as they allow). You can shadow, meet for lunch, etc. I am also a student ambassador where I help out with interviews. I answer questions during the Q&A session and I am also a student interviewer. I am a peer mentor (2nd year that mentors a 1st year) and a tutor. I am also a member of a few clubs but I didn't go to too many meetings, just a few social events.

That's just a snapshot of what Marian has to offer. They have a ton of clubs (and you can get involved in leadership positions). You can be in student government, get involved in research (both MUCOM professors and even IU has been receptive to us doing research with them), help with volunteering opportunities on and off campus, and get involved in intramural sports! Or you don't have to do any of that. There are definitely students who aren't involved with much and thats perfectly fine.

Indianapolis itself is an awesome city. Its not too big so its not a constant distraction, but its big enough that there is something to do when you need to get out. Its really a great scene. Its also not very expensive compared to most big cities.

I don't think attending a new school has been a bad thing at all. In fact, I think it has been kind of a good thing. They are very receptive of feedback and actually incorporate suggestions for the following classes. This is key, they listen!! The faculty are really cool and are open to you stopping in with a question when you have one. They really do seem to care. As far as rotations go, I can't really talk too much yet because I haven't really gone through them. We will start a new clinical colloquium for the first time this July. It basically geared towards getting us ready for rotations. I think it'll be useful. We are also the first class to have all of our core rotations in Indianapolis (at Community Hospitals and St. Vincent Hospital) so that is really nice that we won't have to drive too far for rotations.

Our upperclassmen did very well in this year's match (we even had someone match into ACGME derm!). We had a good mix of ACGME matches and AOA matches and the overall match rate was 99% I believe. We had a mix of university and community programs in a ton of different specialties. Most stayed around the midwest and 38% are staying in Indiana.

Let me know if you guys have more questions! Hopefully I answered at least some of them!

Last edited:
Those characters do not include spaces correct? Prewriting here.

Hi congrats!! I actually have a q on LORs. I'm finishing up my primary now and Marian is the first school I'm sending an app to. Do LORs need to be in before secondaries? And if I did have them in sooner rather than later would that increase my chances? Or is it fine to wait until secondaries? Thank you?
You don't need them in before getting a secondary, but you need them for the secondary to be completed!

For the section asking to describe a shadowing experience, did anyone list more than one doctor? Or do they only want one experience?

For those who are interested. Attached is our D.O. Class of 2017 Residency Placement map. 60% of the class matched ACGME, 34% matched AOA, & 6% matched military. We also plan to have this informtation on our website within the next month.

Attachments

• MUCOM_Class2017_Residency_Apr17-rd3.pdf
    581.7 KB · Views: 237
Secondary received. Submitting later today.

For the section asking to describe a shadowing experience, did anyone list more than one doctor? Or do they only want one experience?

I shadowed one doctor and scribed for 13 and I listed all of them!

I submitted my secondary on 6/23 and I just checked the status today and my letters still haven't been matched. I sent them through AACOMAS. Is it usual for it to take this long? Should I reach out to admissions?